Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Version 2 Alpha 6

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 06:31
So, 'ref' is now a reserved word??

www.mindsclay.com
lucifermagus.mindsclay.com (not working with Firefox)
mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 06:47
Alpha 6 is not differentiating between an array and variable having the same name.

OBJ[numObjects]

OBJ

Are being treated as the same. I imported existing code written on 108 21, where this was not the case.

Is this an intended feature of V2?

www.mindsclay.com
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 07:30
Awesome! this has arrived just in time

Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 07:44
to Paul Johnston:
Quote: "There is an option for it in General->Miscellaneous"

oh, OK. thanks.

to Digital Awakening:
Quote: "Looks awesome, except for the weird 3D effect added to selected tabs."
you can play with 'clearlooks-notebook' style in '../share/themes/ClearlooksDark/gtk-2.0/gtkrc'. e.g. set 'ythickness' to 0. all theme settings for tabs stored in various 'notebook' parameters.

error #1:
"too many stars, too many stares. disembody."
WIP: MIND!! | free fonts for your AGKs
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 09:35
Could you confirm if there will be interpreter templates for iOS? I noticed they're no longer there. I know it's because you can now export an IPA from the IDE, but I have Naphiers modified version that allows me to put in Chartboost advertising.

It would be great if you added Chartboost as an advertising option, but if not I will need to modify the template again.

Also, what's the status with iOS8? Should we hold off updating any devices until it's been confirmed that the players work?

Thanks.
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 11:20 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 12:20
Quote: "please can u add a return value with index at insert?"

I also want it.
Quote: "and i think a better name for insert is add"
or even 'store', 'write' or 'put'. and I think we need a command for inserting more than one element at array. so I want to see it all as:
Quote: "index = array.put( value ) // put 'value' at new element at the end, return index
array.put( value, index ) // put 'value' at new element at the index
index = array.insert() // insert 1 element at the end, return index
array.insert( index ) // insert 1 element at the index
array.insert( index, quantity ) // insert some elements at the index"

Paul, guys, what do you think?

error #1:
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 11:23 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 11:24
I absolutely love the new export facility (does it do all the zip-align stuff too?). Did a little test last night to display the gyro velocity on all three axis. 5 lines of code and a couple of clicks to get it running on my 'droid. Amazing!

The new GetGyroVelocity commands open up a whole new world of VR programming for T1 (Google Cardboard Stylee)! I'm SO excited! Great work Paul! Loving the pace of updates lately. Keep it up!

Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 11:37
undo-redo actions in Scribble do not works, it refocuses in Editor and happens there instead.

error #1:
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 11:45
Quote: "I absolutely love the new export facility (does it do all the zip-align stuff too?). Did a little test last night to display the gyro velocity on all three axis. 5 lines of code and a couple of clicks to get it running on my 'droid. Amazing!"
it is really good, but you has been able to run it on your 'droid' even in AppGameKit 1 by runnig AppGameKit player on it and broadcast your program over WiFi from IDE. it is known as AGK Magic.

error #1:
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 12:04
Paul:
Quote: "I'll also update the main.agc file to have the commands and comments you mention."

If you are sticking with 1024x768 I guess the code should look like this:

I think the question is whether or not to include these lines. From the perspective of an experienced user, these are nice to have. For a new user it's added complexity but at the same time a good place to start. Some might prefer the cleaner approach of not having them there.
SetScreenResolution( 1024, 768, 0 )
SetVirtualResolution( 1024, 768 )

Quote: "I suggest to enable the IDE to automatically load the last opened project.
Can the editor be fixed to keep the ordering of the open files tabs from the last session?"

I second these!

It took me a while to find the new array stuff. Should it only be in guides? The guide is written like a guide but shouldn't there be a list in commands or language? When using something like array.length, wouldn't it be nice if the word length was colored differently?

I do not agree that array.insert should return the length of an array. That's just weird to have a command both do something and return something (other than true/false). People can easily do their own functions for this now that arrays can be passed by reference.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 12:07 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 12:23
@Scary Little Rabbit -> Agreed! The Player is cool, but building a stand-alone app could be a real chore (however you managed it - via eclipse, web or Automate). Having "export to APK" is a dream come true! Can we get even more export options (Export to PS3/PS4, Wii, Xbox etc.)? That would be nice!

CyberGamer
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 12:32 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 12:35
Quote: "Quote: "could you make including an icon optional?"

The current default icon is just a place holder that I don't really want to see being used, it isn't even centered correctly. But if I find a suitable icon to use then I suppose it could be optional."

I don't know if we are talking about the same icon,but if I don't find/choose an icon I get the error box msg when trying to export to APK:-

Amd Quad Core FX-4100 3.6MHz,GTX550Ti 1GB GDDR5,8GB DDR3
Windows 8.1 Pro

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 12:35
Quote: "Can we get even more export options (Export to PS3/PS4, Wii, Xbox etc.)? That would be nice!"

While I agree that that would be nice. It means supporting additional platforms. AppGameKit is not ready for that yet. Linux or Windows Mobile are the more likely platforms at the moment. Linux shouldn't be very hard, it's been around and will stay for a long time, it's common among indies and there's hopefully Steam Boxes coming soon. Windows Mobile is the 3d mobile OS today, so it makes sense for AGK. It was also mentioned in the Kickstarter. It's DX based and not OGL like AppGameKit is, so it's more work. We also do not know the future of Windows Mobile.

Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 12:36
Quote: "I do not agree that array.insert should return the length of an array. That's just weird to have a command both do something and return something (other than true/false)."
how about a 'loadImage' and similar commands? we have two version of command, one with returning index and one with not but with manually setting.

I partly feel the same (and personally use my own function for setting indexes of images, sprites, etc) but in this case I think it will be good to have this functionality. firstly, it is quick (we can read a file of image byte by byte, fill a memblock and make image from it, but built-in 'loadImage' command do it more faster), and, secondly, it is laconic.

error #1:
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 12:47
Quote: "you can play with 'clearlooks-notebook' style in '../share/themes/ClearlooksDark/gtk-2.0/gtkrc'. e.g. set 'ythickness' to 0. all theme settings for tabs stored in various 'notebook' parameters."

That did nothing. I even changed all of them + xthickness to 0 without any change. But I know it's the right file because if I alter a color I get a result.

Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 12:55
Quote: "That did nothing. I even changed all of them + xthickness to 0 without any change."
did you tried to set 10 or 20? it sets number of pixels around the text of a tab.

error #1:
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 13:02 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 13:15
Hi
Thank you very for this alpha, which is really great.
The APK export is just amazing .

Thank you again.

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 13:12 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 13:14
Quote: "did you tried to set 10 or 20? it sets number of pixels around the text of a tab."

It's not the actual text that I want to change. It's the look of the tabs themselves. There are 1 pixel wide lines on each side of the tab when they are selected. They are faded from I think black to white. This makes the selected tabs look bigger on the top than the bottom. I don't like that look so I want to remove the fade, leaving it all black.

BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 13:43 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 13:45
Hi all,
Besides a mac computer, do i need something more to create an ipa file? X-code? Apple developer license?
What about apk, do I need install jdk or anything?

Thanks in advance
Regards
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 15:31 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 15:34
Quote: "So, 'ref' is now a reserved word??"

Yes, it is used for passing types and arrays by reference into functions

Quote: "Alpha 6 is not differentiating between an array and variable having the same name."

Correct, since they are now both classed as variables internally they can't share the same name.

Quote: "Could you confirm if there will be interpreter templates for iOS?"

They are in the Mac version, I've removed them from the Windows version since there is no use for them there now.

Quote: "what's the status with iOS8?"

Hopefully existing apps will still work so upgrading a device should be ok, however upgrading the SDK might break a few things, I'll need some time to test it out. Although updating a device to iOS 8 may mean you can't test on it with XCode and iOS SDK 7, I seem to remember that happening with the change to iOS 6->7 in the past, you'd have to export an IPA.

Quote: "I think we need a command for inserting more than one element at array"

I think we have enough for now, we can revisit them later if necessary

Quote: "I absolutely love the new export facility (does it do all the zip-align stuff too?)"

Yes it aligns the zip.

Quote: "The new GetGyroVelocity commands open up a whole new world of VR programming for T1"

I recommend looking at the GetRawRotationVectorW2() commands which were written specifically with VR in mind. You can apply them directly to a camera like so

Quote: "undo-redo actions in Scribble do not works"

I'll take a look but not a high priority.

Quote: "If you are sticking with 1024x768 I guess the code should look like this"

Agreed

Quote: "It took me a while to find the new array stuff"

I'll add it to the principles section

Quote: "if I don't find/choose an icon I get the error box msg when trying to export to APK"

Yes, because at the moment I don't want the default icon being used.

Quote: "please can u add a return value with index at insert?"

I'm going to say no for now, we can revisit it later if needed.

Quote: "It's not the actual text that I want to change. It's the look of the tabs themselves. There are 1 pixel wide lines on each side of the tab when they are selected."

For small details like that it is probably part of the Clearlooks rendering engine which can't be easily changed. If you really wanted to get into the inner workings of GTK then the rendering engines are stored in "Editor/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines", you would have to recompile the libclearlooks.dll file for Windows with GTK 2.24 support.

Quote: "Besides a mac computer, do i need something more to create an ipa file?"

For IPA you need an Apple Developer account ($99 per year), with a developer or distribution certificate which can be created in the certificates section of your account. You then create an App ID for your app (can be anything you like) then create a provisioning profile for your app, it will be associated with your certificate generated earlier. Download the provisioning profile and give it to AppGameKit when it asks for it, you will need to download the certificate and put it in your keychain. I think that's everything.

For APK you don't need to install anything, just export. If you want to submit an APK to Google Play then you will need a keystore which can be generated in the Tools->Android menu.
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Perfect, thanks for the info and work, Paul
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 15:48 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 15:54
Paul:
All this new stuff seems so awesome! Thanks for your hard work and all the time you take to reply to us

So the export also works with IAP? There's one thing I miss for Ouya, the ability to alter the resolution. 720p should be great for most games, but some might want to set it higher or lower. Also signing is required for Ouya but the text only mentions Google and Amazon. Maybe it should just say stores?

Also I got no reply on this one: When using something like array.length, wouldn't it be nice if the word length was colored differently? I think the word should be colored like any other command. If it is possible to do?

Quote: "For small details like that it is probably part of the Clearlooks rendering engine which can't be easily changed. If you really wanted to get into the inner workings of GTK then the rendering engines are stored in "Editor/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines", you would have to recompile the libclearlooks.dll file for Windows with GTK 2.24 support."

Too much for me. Especially for such a small change.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 15:50
Superb work Paul! Loving the new editor, simple stuff like Crtl click on a function call to go to the definition is really handy!!
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 16:15
I have seen on the APK export options "In app purchase".
Does it mean that this option is now awailable for google ?
Can we sale our game with that option exported now with the alpha (the online tool didn't export the IAP) ?

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 16:48
Quote: "So the export also works with IAP?"

Quote: "Can we sale our game with that option exported now with the alpha"

Yes, as long as you use the InAppPurchaseSetKeys command to set your public key. It also supports push notifications if you use SetPushNotificationKeys to set your Google API project number.

Quote: "There's one thing I miss for Ouya, the ability to alter the resolution. "

Does SetScreenResolution not work on Ouya?

Quote: "Also signing is required for Ouya but the text only mentions Google and Amazon."

I'll update the text.

Quote: "When using something like array.length, wouldn't it be nice if the word length was colored differently?"

Not sure if the IDE can detect this easily.

Quote: "simple stuff like Crtl click on a function call to go to the definition is really handy"

I didn't even know it had that
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 17:01
Quote: "I didn't even know it had that"

Must be built in to the IDE. Doesn't work on Mac (or I haven't found the equivalent to Ctrl yet) but I did it without thinking (as I would in Visual Studio) and was pleasantly surprised, also then found "find usages" etc in the context menu very helpful!
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 17:52
I'm having a problem adding double quotes. Instead of instantly adding normal double quotes, it does nothing until I hit the Shift-Quote key twice, whereupon it adds two small weird looking quotes which fail compilation as an Invalid Character. See attachment image.

Something in the autocomplete settings? I took a look but couldn't find anything relevant.

Twitter: @itanican

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 20:53
Quote: "Does SetScreenResolution not work on Ouya?"

Not tired that one...

Quote: "Not sure if the IDE can detect this easily."

Would be awesome if you could figure it out

Quote: "simple stuff like Crtl click on a function call to go to the definition is really handy"

Awesome, but only works if the file with the definition is open. I guess it's because the IDE doesn't keep a record of all definitions within the project but only on a file per file basis? Same issue with creating a list of all functions within the project I guess?

Wilf:
Quote: "I'm having a problem adding double quotes. Instead of instantly adding normal double quotes, it does nothing until I hit the Shift-Quote key twice, whereupon it adds two small weird looking quotes which fail compilation as an Invalid Character. See attachment image."

I have no problems with that. Tried with and without auto close. But I think you are pressing the wrong key. Those are umlauts, they require 2 presses because you put ¨ over letters like aou to make äöü.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hopefully existing apps will still work so upgrading a device should be ok, however upgrading the SDK might break a few things, I'll need some time to test it out. Although updating a device to iOS 8 may mean you can't test on it with XCode and iOS SDK 7, I seem to remember that happening with the change to iOS 6->7 in the past, you'd have to export an IPA."

I read today on the YYG site that with IOS8 you need to save/load data at/from a different location than in IOS7. Is that automatically supported in AGK2?
aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 23:30
About the export to IPA?

Does this mean that I don't have to use the dreaded the XCODE anymore?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 23:53
Quote: "I'm having a problem adding double quotes."

How are you typing the quotes?

Quote: "only works if the file with the definition is open. I guess it's because the IDE doesn't keep a record of all definitions within the project"

Geany seems to have been designed for per document parsing, I'm not sure how easy it would be to convert to per project parsing.

Quote: "I read today on the YYG site that with IOS8 you need to save/load data at/from a different location than in IOS7"

We use "NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains(NSDocumentDirectory, NSUserDomainMask, YES)" to get a suitable path for writing, hopfully that API still works.

Quote: "Does this mean that I don't have to use the dreaded the XCODE anymore?"

Assuming I've done everything correctly then the only thing you need XCode for is the final upload to iTunes Connect, it has a sub program called Application Loader you can use for this, but I think you can download Application Loader separately, I haven't tried it.
Uechi
Years of Service
User Offline
My program broadcasts fine to my Galaxy Pro Tablet. I used the export to Android option and all seemed to go well but when I copied the apk to my tablet and installed it, but when I click on the icon I only get a quick black screen and then it goes back to the previous screen. Anybody have any ideas? Should I use Automate 2.0 instead. Anyone else having trouble like this?
Thanks for any help offered.
mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 02:55
This is a test posting because my other two posts apparently didn't make it.

www.mindsclay.com
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 09:30
@Uechi ->

Make sure your compiler path is set to the latest V2A6 installation. I had a similar problem after installing multiple V2 Alphas. Compiler path can be found under: Build>Build Options>Build>Path to Compiler.

Happy coding!

Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 10:18
Was just hitting Shift-Quote, on an Apple Keyboard on a Macbook Pro running Windows 7 on VMWare Fusion. Pretty standard

Solved though: I played around with the keyboard settings though and found one for US Apple Keyboards running Parallels which seems to have fixed it.

Twitter: @itanican
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 14:49
Paul:
Quote: "Does SetScreenResolution not work on Ouya?"

Now that I think about it. I have tried it in the past but it didn't work. You have to change it in the manifest file (I think that's the one). But will give it a try and see what happens. YES! It works fine now

I do like how easy it is to transfer apks to Ouya now. You can set it up to receive a file (Make > Upload) then open up a webpage and drag the apk to it and it will transfer over WiFi and install automatically.

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 16:26
Is there any way to split view so you can see two separate pieces of code?
i used this function quite a lot in the old ide which was very useful.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 17:29
Quote: "when I click on the icon I only get a quick black screen and then it goes back to the previous screen"

Can you email me the APK that you built?

Quote: "Is there any way to split view so you can see two separate pieces of code?"

There is a plugin that might be suitable, you can activate it in the Tools->Plugin Manager menu option.
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
I'm testing the AppGameKit alpha 6 and it crashes at launch… I'm using an Intel Mac Mini with 10.7.5 macosx…
Here is the error log…

Any idea to get it working?
Thanks!
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 20:28
Great work Paul. AppGameKit is really starting to deliver!

My hovercraft is full of eels
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 21:09
Quote: "I'm testing the AppGameKit alpha 6 and it crashes at launch"

It looks like I have to change some compile settings to target below MacOS 10.9, I'll see if I can do that.
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 22:36 Edited at: 19th Sep 2014 22:37
Yes, please. It would be great, Paul.
Thanks in advance.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
To any Mac user. If you have tested Alpha 5 before, you need to delete the old projects folder that 5.1 installed. User the projects folder of the samples inside the Alpha 6 folder. Somehow Alpha 6 seems to have a problem with old compiled content.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is there any way to split view so you can see two separate pieces of code?
i used this function quite a lot in the old ide which was very useful."

On OSX, you have to activate it via Tools/Plugin Manager. Then a new entry in the tools menu appears.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Paul, not sure if it is intended or if it is a bug. But on OSX, when you have a split view of a source, clicking on an entry in the symbol list only acts on the main view. I would expect it to act on the view which had the focus before.
Also the symbol list only represents the file in the "main view", not the splitted on. Here I would expect it to display the content of the splitted view, once it has the focus.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2014 16:52
Paul read my post, for iOS 8.

aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2014 22:19
Paul Johnston:

Thank you for your hard work and quick responses to everyone's questions. AppGameKit is shaping up very well and with the current release of Alhpa6 I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel! With the new compiler I'm sure it won't be long til this is done!

Now that we have you on the horn I'd like to ask you a very important question.

What kind of time frame do think it will be until we can expect 3d object animation support? I have been waiting long to implement this in AppGameKit? Just a time frame is all I'm asking.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 03:27
Quote: "clicking on an entry in the symbol list only acts on the main view. I would expect it to act on the view which had the focus before."

Quote: "Also the symbol list only represents the file in the "main view", not the splitted on."

I'll have a look, but not a high priority.

Quote: "Paul read my post, for iOS 8."

I have replied

Quote: "What kind of time frame do think it will be until we can expect 3d object animation support?"

Hard to say. The debugger comes first, then 3D, and both will likely follow the same process as the IDE where I spend some time making the difficult decisions, then frequent updates to refine it. So probably on the order of months rather than weeks.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 03:55
In the while i want to say to Paul that he is doing a great work!!
Go Paul!!!

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 04:38 Edited at: 21st Sep 2014 04:47
if you get these errors

i got a lot of errors so i commented the errors out and it built. change core to this for windows 7 c++ 20008.
here is the fixed code for 2008 windows 7.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 07:57:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 07:57:42