Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Aquillanto - 2D Platformer For Mac and PC [RELEASED]

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2016 16:22
Wow what a lovely looking game; looks like fun.

I really like the design of the levels and the game mechanics. I hope you will get your level editor and infrastructure to the point where building new levels become more easy so that you can use your potential to expand on this concept to produce hours of game play and expose your talent. I hope lots of players show appreciation for this when it is released.

Keep it up; keep us posted with any social media, reviews or financial backing you need.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Chris,

Cheers Chris - appreciate the encouragement. Yeah - I've worked hard and continue to work on the core mechanic above all else - it's key!

Re building new levels, I've built a reasonably good map editor and population editor (how I add monsters and swinging platforms to the levels) so it's looking good for a full on level building next step. I have every intention of doing 10-15 levels per world and 3 worlds so hopefully this will give players a few hours of solid fun!
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am starting World 01 Level 01...It's taken over two years to get to this point! I feel strangely nervous!
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 21:02
Great job
I do what i do !!!
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 21:22
Looking forward to playing. Enjoy play testing what you create, that will help ease the nerves; it is also practical for fixing issues prior to exposing them to the public.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2016 02:31
Quote: "I am starting World 01 Level 01...It's taken over two years to get to this point! I feel strangely nervous!"

Well, it's about time! j/k

Quote: "Re building new levels, I've built a reasonably good map editor and population editor (how I add monsters and swinging platforms to the levels) so it's looking good for a full on level building next step. I have every intention of doing 10-15 levels per world and 3 worlds so hopefully this will give players a few hours of solid fun!"

Wow, that should take awhile to master indeed, especially if you have the hidden rooms like in the video.

You jump around in the video making it look easy, but I bet it is harder than it looks as you have had plenty of practice while testing.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ha! Yes my wife reckons I've been putting it off as every time I say I'm just about to start building levels I start adding another feature!

Yes.... The levels take quite a bit of time to plan, then build and then test and tweak!!

The controller is very tight (almost no momentum and not at all floaty) so you feel very connected. I'm better than my kids but expect that to change!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
First level almost done! Tweaking difficulty now as it's slightly too tough for a first level. I've got to get the balance between ink usage and ink pots about right and how much health the fruit give you. I'm also going to write a mini-function to let me know how many coins, power-ups, fruit and ink pots are on a level so I can get the balance about right per level.

Player death next so it's a bit more obvious for testing.

Tonnes to do but really nice to be at the stage where I am building levels that will be in the actual game!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
So, got the map analyzer function done and it raises a question.... I'm wanting to get the balance of coins/rewards right in general. Too many coins for example and they become devalued (player's don't bother to collect), too few and there's less sense of fun. In addition to the general balance, there's also the question of what percentage of coins/rewards should be visible in the main map versus hidden away in the secret passages.

What do you guys think a reasonable balance is for seen vs in secret passages?
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, do I detect a brand of canned precooked meat products made by Hormel Foods Corporation that was first introduced in 1937 and gained popularity worldwide after its use during World War II? I have a funny feeling I do.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2016 18:36 Edited at: 17th Apr 2016 18:38
Hello! Can a moderator change the title of this thread to "[WIP] Aquillanto - Platform Game For Mac and PC"

And for those who are interested I've created a twitter account..... @Aquillanto where I'll be tweeting dev news and a facebook account... Facebook.com/Aquillanto that I'll get round to working on at some stage.

I'll still be posting here too!

Thanks.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Three steps forward....two steps back....

I've created several sprite "actions" which are small pieces of code that allow for different monster/platform behaviours. For performance I check to see if the sprites are onscreen (or at least near) before they kick into action. Up to this point it's worked well....however I've discovered that whilst this is fine for many situations, others require the monsters to be locked tightly in sync and because sprites spring to life as they come close to being on-screen, you can't guarantee that they do remain in sync! So I now have to go back and add the ability, where it is useful, to be able to guarantee that they remain locked together timing wise!

Also found that whilst the map editor is great for most edits, adding a large gap in the middle of a map is not easy! It's not needed a lot but given how much work is involved when you do want a gap added I've decided to code a utility to allow me to do it (and automatically do the other associated secret map and background maps)! So....they're the two steps back. No noticeable progress until I've got those done!

Lastly so I'm not sat all day and then all evening I've bought myself a standing desk.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Started designing a new system so that I could have randomly spawned sounds (atmospheric) and positional sounds (associated with specific on-screen items eg waterfall) spawned and then realised that they are effectively a monster....and so I can use the population editor that I build to place them! Love it when production takes an unexpected leap forward!

Sync-Lock almost done so I can guarantee certain actions will remain in-sync with each other.... almost back to level building...
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I've skipped to the end so I can test for difficulty, so working on World 1 Level 14....and I can only complete it when I set the difficulty factor to "Granny" level! So might tone it down a touch more?
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Tweeting birds...

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
The usual "Summer Effect" is slowing progress!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Getting closer to starting development again. Anyone else take a summer break?
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2016 23:39
Good luck starting your project again, I've had quite a long break with holiday and doing some Eduguru games. Seems like it is a lifetime since I did anything on my own projects!
Hope I remember what I coded haha!

This is game seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds, looking forward to seeing the next video
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
First proper session done! Managed a small bug fix, some level building (Proof! Twitter Post) and I even had an initial play with the basic proportions for World 2 tiles - got to get that right before committing to full tile build.

Reckon it's another 6 months of development ahead. Wonder how far I'll get this time? All depends on work etc
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Working on my first end of world boss! Pretty excited to be doing that. It will be similar to the burnt stump monsters but larger, with a grumpy face and have arms that will shoot fireballs.... Then the main stump will fire 100 fireballs in one massive burst every few seconds. Got some ideas for the actual level. Looking forward to setting it all up but first (as ever!) I've got to create all the graphics and that takes time...and some more time....and a bit more.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 22:09
This is very genius and very cool. Well done.

Damo
Started coding with AMOS
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
End of World one monster done - I just need to build the actual level to house it.

Next steps... carry on designing and building world 1 levels and start graphics for World 2.

It's quite a large project I've taken on....
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
One situation I've just discovered that is not properly dealt with in the main player controller is "crushing", where a player is crushed up to a solid tile because they are on a vertically moving platform. Where on normal platformers it would just result in instant death, my stamina bar approach means I need to allow for it whilst not breaking the controller.... Think I've got the rules sorted, now just to code them.

Boss for World 1 and its housing level are done - will try and get a video of that up sooner or later...
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Crushing sorted - bit of a head scratch but I've got it done - it forces the player into a crouch which makes it look visually appealing too. Got to do a video for you guys or you'll nod off!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Happy Christmas everyone and hope 2017 is good to all of you.

More Aquillanto in 2017 (when my work life allows!)
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2016 17:14 Edited at: 25th Dec 2016 17:26
It reminds me a game I like very much:
http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/39/budredhead/

[EDIT] Merry Christmas everyone hohoho!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Been working on end of world one boss...

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 00:59
Very nice. You need to use a variety of skills to defeat it.
SteelPrincess
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks pretty awesome!

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 20:58 Edited at: 24th Jan 2017 21:07
Thanks guys!

Ooh! Just noticed I have a badge. What does that one stand for?
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 21:22
Still doing fantastic work... Maybe a long game for a 1 man job - as Ive noticed still working on Level 1 boss.

But really excited when it comes onto the market

I think the AppGameKit Developer comes when the guys at TGC sees also that you have done remarkably well in production of a game and been rewarded.

I maybe wron though

Well done David and keep up the good work

Damo
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers guys.

Damo - Yes, I agree, it's a ridiculously large game for one person to build! I've created a few levels for world one but progress has been slow of late because work has gone crazy. I need to code a clone of me for a few months.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
What was damo banned for? He seemed a helpful chap?
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2017 18:15
Hi David, yes he is normally a pretty helpful chap and some of his work on the forums is good but for some reason he has had a bit of a strop and wiped out a lot of his posts making the forums a right mess to read. He apologised but then did it again a few days later!
Crazy.

Not sure if it is temp or not?

Looking forward to more from your game, it's a beast but you doing well.
If you hover over your badge it will tell you what it is for and if you look into your profile you can see a load of badges you can earn on here now Lot's of features including nominating people for them etc.
The Amiga and Amos were great!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, right.

Yes, the game is a beast. I've been crazy at work recently and because of the similarity it has somewhat sapped my energy for dev but it's not going away! I've wanted to do a platformer since the one I never managed to do in AMOS....
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2017 09:03
Sweet artwork, who did them?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Phaelax,

Thanks, I do all the artwork myself. Rendered in 3D (because I can't draw to save my life). I enjoy creating the graphics but it takes an absolute age to create them all so that they tile together in various combinations. The next world (castle/dungeon) will be faster hopefully because the main blocks will be naturally tile-able! I've been working hard on 3D in my job so it kind of reduces the desire to do it again in the evening! Looking forward to the next world graphics though - the monsters should be a tonne of fun.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 16:50
Lovely looking game. Keep it up.

The Boss's sound effect has a great deal of static noise; check it out on your headphones.

Look forward to seeing the next level whether you post it up here, or whether I would need to see it while playing the game.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, thanks Chris - I noticed the static noise only after it had uploaded to youtube (it's not apparent when you play the game). I'll look into why. Perhaps it's clipping or something. I'll keep posting videos as I progress....
APLITIM
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 11:32
Wow this is great! I did not think we could do this type of game with these animations with AGK
Space Looter
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK is really very powerful given that it is a type of BASIC. I've been pleasantly surprised at how much you can throw at AppGameKit and have it run quickly. The graphic card seems to be the limiting factor in how much you can do. Logic just zooms!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Started work on world 2 graphics! It takes an absolute age at the beginning with very little to show! Got to get the foundation right or it becomes much tougher later. So fundamental building blocks and colours....
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
You would have thought that building bricks that tile together would be quick and simple....
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Full tile building for world 2 now in progress! I've imported a few into the tile-map editor to check them ans so far so good...
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Continuing with the main brick tiles - 175 brick tiles and counting.... Looking forward to moving onto the decorative tiles and monsters....but still some more standard bricks to create. Amazing how many combinations there are!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
576 static tiles and counting....
Over a 1000 frames of animated tiles and counting....

...And there I was thinking that the castle world would be faster to build...

Gradually getting there though. When I've built the tiles I'll get a new video up and then it's on to the monsters for world 2.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Now at around 660 static tiles and over 1600 frames of animated tiles....nearly there! Man I'd forgotten just how long graphics take! Really looking forward to building the first level of this world and seeing how it all looks together.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2017 16:49
I look forward to seeing what you will come up with.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers Chris.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:58:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:58:36