Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / *** WIN *** one of three Acer Iconia Tab 8 devices

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 20:34
List of received entries updated here.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 10:59
Hi BatVink, my name is not on the list.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 11:29
Well spotted
I do have your entry downloaded, just missed your name on the list sorry.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 13:47
Thanks

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 14:33
Can we submit more than one entry? I have 2 more I'd like to submit.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 16:01
Yes you can submit more than one!

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 11:52
Submitted to to BatVink.

Guess I'd better send to you too:

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 12:31
Hi Jim,

I didn't receive anything
If it's a zip, rename the extension to _zip to get through the spam filter.
Alternately, upload to Dropbox, Box or other file storage site and send me the link.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 13:22
Just done that. Forgot to rename before.

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 16:04 Edited at: 1st Nov 2014 16:04
Well I have managed to submit 2 entries

However at 5am today I ran into a problem. My App which uses GPS ran great in the AGK2 Player, but would crash when compiled into an apk.

The Exporter does not seem to add location ( precise or course) permissions( and yes I have ticked the box). This causes the app to give the error "Unfortunately, your app has stopped."

The permissions can be checked by holding the app icon and dragging it to App info and no location permissions are mentioned.

could someone try this code - Compile it into an apk and see if it is something I am doing wrong ? or if it is a bug in the Exporter ?

thanks

p.s. here are screenshots of my entries

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I get similar results with the GPS test, and don't see any indication that location data is a requested permission. Seems like a bug with the APK builder.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 09:16
GPS permission is OFF be default on my Asus tablet.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 13:16
Where there is clearly a bug in AppGameKit, we'll need to take this into account during judging. One positive outcome is that Paul is made aware of these issues which leads to a better AppGameKit 2.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 16:56 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2014 17:21
Android - sound, I have the same issue in that pitch cannot be changed.
GPS - I also have no permissions to use GPS sensors.

[Update] Space Dream Studios uses GPS and it gets my location.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 19:21
BatVink:
Maybe I should mention that I have a problem with ghosting when rendering sprites with a low alpha. Not really sure if it is a bug or not. But it is commented in my code and I have an alpha limit coded in. The problem is with the black sprite I use in the background. Maybe Paul should take a look at it?

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 16:18
xCept - Thanks for testing and good to know it is not something I am doing wrong.

BatVink - Cool, that you will take the bug into account when judging. 15 people entering (some with multiple entries) is a great turnout and I know some of them are fantastic programmers. I'm sure you will fined something great that is suitable for your needs.

I Look forward to your next challenge, I find these competitions a great way to learn and push myself to finish a project.

AGK2 is shaping up. I love the new editor, which speeds up my coding. It is simple and powerful. The Sensor commands are great and so much fun to use, though I would like to be able to detect if sensors (like GPS are turned on not just available. The `Export project' is a vast improvement. I look forward to the 3D support and 'Save Array'(although, I have now learned the file commands which means I can now basically do that anyway). Overall AGK2, Is literally going to be a Game Changer, thanks.

Good luck everyone,

How about posting a screenshot of your entry ?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 16:50 Edited at: 4th Nov 2014 16:53
Space Demo

Uses selective bloom, a different technique to the example that comes with agk. You directly select what objects you wish to apply bloom to which allows you to really ramp it up for suns or planet effects. It would also allow you to apply bloom to light sources only, light bulbs etc without any unwanted bloom anywhere else.

The demo also shows how to easily set up planetary orbits.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 12:01
Quote: "Space Demo"

Wow, that's pretty awesome-looking! IMO the glow needs to be ever-so-slightly lighter in colour, but other than that it looks great!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 16:20
@rick if you can extend this contest till November 7th i will submit my mml player.

located here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=212537&b=41

but i know i missed the dead line. i would need maybe just tonight to clean it up to really showcase it.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 16:29
@SoftMotion3D, unfortunately it's too late for this competition, but I'm sure we'll have others...

The entries have been judged, I think Rick has managed to fit 25 hours into the last 24 to get the results in.

Now, all you have to do is wait for me to add them to the newsletter where they will be released first

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 16:36
ah thats ok.... i was fairly sure i missed it....bummer

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 20:21
Matty H - Nice, I and, am sure, many others need help with shaders.

Quote: "but I'm sure we'll have others..."
- Whoo whoo

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 00:56
Quote: "Wow, that's pretty awesome-looking! IMO the glow needs to be ever-so-slightly lighter in colour, but other than that it looks great!"

Yep. That's why I thought the demo was perfect for the contest, there's an absolute metric ton of variables to play with.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 01:52 Edited at: 6th Nov 2014 01:52
That's very cool Matty H, reminds me of some scenes in Elite Dangerous.

My submission was for a fun use of render images outside of 3D texturing or shaders.

I also published the demo on Google Play to test the new APK export capabilities, which seemed to work well.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Your guy's submissions are looking good.

It was not until Matty H posted his that I realized I misinterpreted the competition a bit.

I didn't realize it meant a feature specific example, I thought the objective was to make a GAME demo that incorporates some of AGK's key features.

Hopefully my entry still counts

Here's a few pictures of my entry:

Sean

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 10:48
Hi all,

The winners are now announced in this months newsletter;

TGC November Newsletter

Well done to all who entered. I will be contacting you soon about your prizes.

Thanks to everyone who entered!

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 21:24
Great work guys!
DA did a similar concept as me, but got in that nice looking render to image. I couldn't get it to work well, would you mind sharing the code for it?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 23:11
Now that the competition is over. Here's my code. And also the image as seen in the newsletter.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 23:48 Edited at: 7th Nov 2014 00:13
Wow. Seems simple enough. Can't seem to get it to work with percentage based system. Render image size is all goofy and there's no blurring. I'll have to study it more. Thanks, though!

EDIT:
I see what I'm doing wrong... the render image must be power of 2 otherwise everything gets pretty goofy. Looks like I'll just have to use mutiple ones if possible!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 00:24 Edited at: 7th Nov 2014 03:28
Quote: "..render to a render-image"

Which is the right way to do it. Oh, the pain of converting NeoParticle from AppGameKit T2 to Gameplay3D just because EnableClearColor didn't work on some mobile devices...

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 03:16
Good job guys these entries looked great!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 08:46
Yes, looks like render to image requires a power of 2 image on some devices. I'm amending my entry for Rick.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 11:33
Yes, power of 2 and max 1024x1024 to work on Android. You can then set the size of the image to fill the screen. It seems like you need to keep it roughly the same size as the screen as well. So I use 2 different sizes depending on the screen. The end result is not optimal. You get a much smoother result on PC with a render-image the same size as the screen.

Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 12:17
@DA : thank you for your code, it's very interesting.

Will be the other codes published to help the other users to understand how to use some features of the v2 (shaders, rendertoimage..) ?

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 15:30
Blendman:
You are welcome

It's my understanding that all 10 winning demos will be included with code in the next version.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 18:14
Congrats to all the winners, I hope that one day I'll be relieved of organisational duties and I can take part.

Everyone who took part will find they have shiny new badges, never before seen on the forum. Thanks to Clonkex for designing the badges at short notice, and The Next for getting them integrated into the site just as quickly.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 18:33 Edited at: 7th Nov 2014 18:35
Quote: "Yes, power of 2 and max 1024x1024 to work on Android. You can then set the size of the image to fill the screen. It seems like you need to keep it roughly the same size as the screen as well. So I use 2 different sizes depending on the screen. The end result is not optimal. You get a much smoother result on PC with a render-image the same size as the screen."

I have just been doing something similar to what you guys are discussing and was wondering why I did not experience this issue.

If I am right you are using a sprite as your main full-screen image? But then deciding on a render image size which may be different to screen resolution would cause issues and you would need to manipulate the uv's which I don't think you can do with sprites?

Anyway, I am using the Quad object, it seems this is a magical object I can render to any image size and it always looks correct. Obviously if I set the image size too low then it looks blocky but as long as my image size is the same or higher than the resolution of the device it seems to work great.

I may have misunderstood the issue you were having but if not then this may be a solution.

Quote: "Everyone who took part will find they have shiny new badges, never before seen on the forum."

Oooooooo lovely, thanks. I'm not even sure where my other badges came from, they just appeared one day

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 18:40 Edited at: 7th Nov 2014 18:40
Quote: "Congrats to all the winners, I hope that one day I'll be relieved of organisational duties and I can take part."

I appreciate you organizing the competition. Competitions are always fun. Personally, I feel like competitions help liven up the community.

Quote: "Everyone who took part will find they have shiny new badges"

Awesome.

Sean

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 19:16
BatVink:
Nice badges Wouldn't one badge be enough for the winners? Seems like there was a lot of badges for a single competition. I also tried to alter my big badge to show either of the competition badges but none of them showed.

Matty H:
Are you saying you could render to an image not constricted to power by 2 size and 1024x1024 on an android device? If so I would like to see proof

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 19:29 Edited at: 7th Nov 2014 19:30
Quote: "Are you saying you could render to an image not constricted to power by 2 size and 1024x1024 on an android device? If so I would like to see proof"

No I was not saying that. What I was saying is that you can take an arbitrary power of two size and as long as it's large enough it always looks correct when using a quad object, no stretching etc.

So if your android device is 700x480, you could use render image of 1024x512 and it will still look correct on screen, perfectly in proportion.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 19:42
Quote: "So if your android device is 700x480, you could use render image of 1024x512 and it will still look correct on screen, perfectly in proportion."

700x480 is a very small resolution these days. My phone is 1920x1080, or actually 1080x1920. My 3 year old phone is 480x800 and that was an old-ish model when I bought it. But I wouldn't mind test something on my phone with your method and compare the result.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 19:50
Quote: "700x480 is a very small resolution these days."

I just made that up as an example, the point being that the aspect ratios are different but the image looks perfect. Whatever the quad object is doing behind the scenes it's pretty useful

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 20:48
I'm very interested in further discussion on the quads or render to image in general. I tried oversizing the render image but that had some pretty poor results. I'm starting a new thread here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=212553&b=41
so we can continue the discussion.
Hope to figure this out. It would be a nice thing to use!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 22:56
Quote: "Wouldn't one badge be enough for the winners? Seems like there was a lot of badges for a single competition."

I think it is important that people are recognised for even entering competitions. It's not like a quick-entry where you put your email address on a form and hit submit. People spend hours, even days making their entries. My personal opinion is that the Participant badges are one of the most valuable you can be awarded.

But I would say that, it was my idea.

There are different competition badges in the system for 2015 (and 2016), so you can't stop entering now you have one.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 23:03 Edited at: 7th Nov 2014 23:05
Matty H:
Still, I would love to compare the methods

Naphier:
Good idea!

BatVink:
I think you misunderstood me, I was a bit unclear. I think those who participated should keep the participant badge. But I don't think the winners need both the participant and the winner badge BTW, did the top 3 get a special badge? Like with a golden cup, I think that would be cool.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 23:11 Edited at: 7th Nov 2014 23:12
I see, I misunderstood!

Yes, maybe one is an upgrade to the other. I'll do that next time

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2014 00:04
God - I got a BADGE! I was so excited I wet myself!!!! Can I have a yellow badge so the colours match my trousers?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2014 03:11
Quote: "Can I have a yellow badge so the colours match my trousers?"

You can if you participate in and/or win a competition in 2016 (I made those new badges and the 2016 one is sort of yellowy).

Incidentally... BatVink, if I were to sharpen up the images a bit, is it easy for you to update the badge images? I still think the trophies are just slightly too blurry.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 01:37:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 01:37:38