Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Version 2 Alpha 8

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 14:15
All offset, with 0,0 by default I think would work. It'd be like the old HotSpot commands in Amos! (Showing my age now).

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 15:38
Don't know if you know this but Rick Vanner from TGC was product manager for Amos
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 15:58
I know! Small world huh. Wasn't Bambers involed in AMOS too?

I loved Amos. Way ahead of its time. AMAL and the speech/lip-sync commands were superb! Can we get Amal into AppGameKit?

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
AMOS and STOS, two languages I loooooovveeeedd!
mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 05:08
Is there a AppGameKit player version that will work with the V2 alpha 8?

home.wavecable.com/~mindsclay
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, it comes with it. Look inside the folder where you have installed it.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 11:21
Quote: "If you provide both it will use AdMob, even if it fails. If you only set one then it will use that one."

Thanks for the info Paul.

It would be great to have commands such as:

The idea would be to give us control of what ads show and when.

V2 is looking/working pretty awesome so far, great work!

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 12:17 Edited at: 7th Nov 2014 12:18
I really want to take the plunge with AppGameKit v2 but do not want to disturb my current v1 set up (I have every v1 version installed in a separate directory and would do the same with v2) but I read that installing v2 causes issues when compiling v1, is this correct and is there a way to overcome this?

I guess as a last resort uninstalling v2 would leave me with my v1 set up as it was, right?
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 12:59
I had this issue.

You will just need to reset the compiler path in the V1 IDE options.

I would recommend upgrading to V2. The new compiler found so many errors in my V1 code I was surprised it ever worked.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 13:20
Quote: "You will just need to reset the compiler path in the V1 IDE options.
"

Got it! Thanks JohnnyMeek, I will get on it this weekend
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 13:30
I used STOS and AMOS as well. Had great fun using them.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 16:52
It's been a while since the last Alpha. I sense something big coming! Mesh Animated 3d? Bullet physics? *crosses fingers*

aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 20:04
Quote: "It's been a while since the last Alpha. I sense something big coming! Mesh Animated 3d? Bullet physics? *crosses fingers*"

If Mesh Animated 3D is close to happening I will s**t my pants. I got away from AppGameKit to learn Unity for the past couple weeks just because I'm extremely sick of waiting for Mesh Animations. It would be my best Christmas Present if that were true. I like Unity but I truly can't get used to its visuaL style as I'm a coder. It reminds me of a beefed up GameMaker.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2014 07:37
So I was just trying video out and it appears broken on Android.
Tried through broadcast and then with a compiled APK.
Just a black screen with the sound from the video.
The video is MP4, very small (632kb), low bitrate (I think about 250kbps). Plays on windows fine.
I've attached the video in case anyone else wants to test.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 8th Nov 2014 10:10 Edited at: 8th Nov 2014 10:17
Anyone else having problems with the compile, run and broadcast buttons as they only become active after selecting same options from build menu. Im running AppGameKit v2 alpha 8 on windows 8 64bit.

Seems to happen after typing in text in the editor, I have to go to the build menu then select compile. Then the buttons become active again, write more text then they become deactivated. Any reason for this?
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2014 11:23
@Naphier> I've never managed to get my own vids working. The example works fine so I suspect it is just being really strict with bitrate/format etc. I'd love to see some more info on video playback.

@Bored of the Rings> I've never seen that happen here. Win7 Pro 64bit. Have you tried doing a re-install of the IDE? The only trouble I had was a crash after days of use with the same instance open and lots of swapping between various apps.

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 8th Nov 2014 12:16 Edited at: 8th Nov 2014 12:31
@CJB - thanks for your response. I'll try re-installing to see if that resolves it.

[update] uninstalled and reinstalled still same problem.
[update2] - ok setting compatibility mode to Windows 7 resolved it.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2014 16:10 Edited at: 8th Nov 2014 16:11
Quote: "It's been a while since the last Alpha. I sense something big coming! Mesh Animated 3d? Bullet physics? *crosses fingers*"

I don't think so. Paul said he would be quite for a while because he is working on the debugger right now and the next release will be the Steam one. So they are going from Alpha to release in one step.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2014 20:03
Quote: "I don't think so. Paul said he would be quite for a while because he is working on the debugger right now..."

Debugger is a big thing
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 16:08 Edited at: 9th Nov 2014 16:11
the big pause happening is most likely bringing blackberry back up to par with ios,android. It has not seen an update since the beginning of the agk2 project so it may take a while to catch it back up.

maybe pauls gunna do another suprize and have a button to export .BAR

who knows.... but should be an awesome update regardless.

allot of people diss blackberry, however; i have made close to 1k$ with no advertising releasing apps on playbook and next to nothing on googleplay.

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2014 01:35 Edited at: 10th Nov 2014 01:35
Not sure why blackberry is even a target anymore. Blackberry now has less than 0.5% of the market share (and it's tanking fast), and probably most of those are not really in the games market...

Strange that you have had better success with blackberry--suppose it's lack of competition.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2014 02:22 Edited at: 10th Nov 2014 02:22
Has anyone else noticed animation stuttering when using the tweening system?

Sean

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2014 10:54
Quote: "Has anyone else noticed animation stuttering when using the tweening system?"

I had a few issues when the view offset had been changed. Just had to take the offset into account in the tween positioning (using screentoworldx/y commands). I'd also see stuttering if any tweens overlap (i.e. playing a tween before the last one had finished).

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'd also see stuttering if any tweens overlap (i.e. playing a tween before the last one had finished)."

I'm seeing a lot of stuttering with tweens, I'm getting a full 60 FPS and I'm not using any sort of view offset. Two of my apps are using the tweening system and I'm seeing stuttering in both of them. The stuttering is most obvious when tweening a sprite's position.

In my current game, I am tweening 5 sprites to fly from on screen to off screen (off to the left) at the same time with a duration of 1 second. The sprites stutter along the way. I have tried using a constant time step for UpdateAllTweens() such as 1/60.0 but that didn't seem to help.

Sean

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2014 12:24
Try using updatealltweens(getframetime()) instead of a fixed value. This should smooth out the tween regardless of frame-rate.

Also, tween positions don't use the sprite offset coordinates so you may sometimes see a 'jump' when 'tweens kick in (i.e. where they move from their often centred offset position to the top-left corner x/y position). Check you haven't got any other positional commands influencing those sprites with their offset values whilst the tweens are playing.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2014 12:33 Edited at: 10th Nov 2014 12:34
Quote: "Try using updatealltweens(getframetime()) instead of a fixed value. This should smooth out the tween regardless of frame-rate.
"

I usually use UpdateAllTweens(GetFrameTime()) the UpdateAllTweens(1/60.0) was just for a test. Neither seem to fix the stuttering.

Quote: "Also, tween positions don't use the sprite offset coordinates so you may sometimes see a 'jump' when 'tweens kick in (i.e. where they move from their often centred offset position to the top-left corner x/y position). Check you haven't got any other positional commands influencing those sprites with their offset values whilst the tweens are playing."

Positions are all fine. The stuttering tends to occur in the middle of the animation.

If you have an android device, you can try my game here that uses tweening which seems to have the stuttering issue. These animations are a bit slow, so the stuttering isn't as obvious, but you should still see it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bssoftware.puzzlemethis

I have tried it on many different devices (including a PCs) and I notice the stuttering often.

Sean

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2014 16:33 Edited at: 10th Nov 2014 17:04
A long shot, but try adding 0.1 to the destination position (just as a test). I had a strange issue where a tween simply would not work at all with a certain destination position (happened to be 400x240 in my case). After adding .1 it worked fine.

ps. I couldn't exit your game! Had to quit via taskmanager. The back button didn't do anything.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 03:55
Going by the latest KS update, do we get STEAM keys too? or do we need to repurchase just to have the ease of STEAM if desired?

Will the STEAM version be up to par with the site downloads or will it be ahead of site updates?

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Does anyone else see random crashes with alpha tween on windows? I create a lot of sprites which fade away and i delete them when they reach a lower alpha valua.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 09:20
Hi,

We aim to provide Steam keys to all early access backers. The versions will be the same builds.

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 10:15 Edited at: 11th Nov 2014 11:02
I am having random crash issues with the APK thats being exported from alpha 8 , unsure what exactly is causing the problem as sometimes it compiles a usable APK and maybe 1 out of 10-20 it will compile an APK that simply wont run , it seems to be spitting a Message() at runtime for maybe a split second , I assume this message is generated by the android device , however I am unable to capture it, I have attached the APK , atm I am just trying to test for max sound instances that my device can handle

The attached APK is basically a instance test (Triggered by GetRawTouch), that I'm running as kind of a debug during runtime , can somebody please try and confirm that it is not just my device?
Download is 7MB

it runs fine when executed on PC from within the IDE but will not run on Android

EDIT: it looks like the error message is something like "failed to open file filename.png" ???

EDIT:After restarting my PC and exporting the project again it seems to build the APK fine

Native Technology

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Grook
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 10:38
Quote: "Does anyone else see random crashes with alpha tween on windows? I create a lot of sprites which fade away and i delete them when they reach a lower alpha valua."

Mike, there is a known bug with deleting tweens which Paul has stated is fixed in the next release.

"It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
sdl
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 21:01
Why is loading obj files so slow in V2 ?
In v1 its faster...
aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 01:40
Looks like the new release is a complete MESS! I keep checking back periodically as I'm learning Unity3d. Its just looks like years til 3D Animations will even be considered.

Just wish someone else would help Paul complete this AppGameKit Engine. There was lots of money raised on Kick Starter for AGKV2 including my money. Its promising but I may be dead by then!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
^ After a very slow start to development on V2, it is actually shaping up real well w/ Mac support, new IDE and much improved compiler. The 3D commands I hope will be done before end of year, but could see them getting delayed until early next year. TGC plans to get it on Steam very soon so they will want to make sure it is as good as it can be.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
@Paul,

I have found a pretty bad bug on iOS that caused my app to be rejected from the app store. Sometimes (you have to play around with it a bit) bringing down the status bar will cause an app to lock up/freeze. It seems to happen most of the time if you pull the status bar down while something is tweeninig. Also, it causes the CPU usage to spike to 100%.

Sean

mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 04:50
Using V2 build OCT 23, 2014 of the player. The app I uploaded will not update with subsequent braodcasts. The first broadcast of the app stays "installed". Thus I cannot make changes to my code and test it again.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

home.wavecable.com/~mindsclay
Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
We need some sort of error reporting/control methods for sounds as my PCM Wav files are playing when interpreted on PC but I cant get any PCM wav file playing on Android after exporting my APK , has anybody had a similar problem?

Native Technology
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 10:10
I've posted a tool to assist.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a maximum of tweens that can be active at any time?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 12:39:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 12:39:37