Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Global Threads / Forum board changes [Feedback needed]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 22:24
Unfortunley with the web, if we were always following the standards, websites wouldn't work in any browser . Not a lot of people use IE but supporting old IE versions is a total pain. Though the new ones are fine I think

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 22:27
The Zoq2 I think I agree with you, IE10 and above including EDGE should be supported, IE9 and below should be ditched... [IE9 should be the lowest IE support if needs be]

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 00:35
Quote: "Funny thing, never had this issue on mobile... Windows Phone 8.1/10... IE/Edge"
I know you don't mean to, but you're really beginning to come across as a little arrogant with your Windows 8.1/10/Mobile/IE/Edge shenanigans. Please realize that there are many of us who do experience these problems, even though you don't. And that doesn't mean we need to change.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 02:21 Edited at: 18th Sep 2015 02:21
Quote: "It is the other way around. You code for the standards, which are met by Chrome, Firefox, Opera etc. If Microsoft don't adhere to the standards, you can't expect millions of websites to change instead. It is IE that is not compatible."

(not directed at you since you know the situation etc) So you make no effort to make it IE compatible even though many people still use it?
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 03:01
Quote: "So you make no effort to make it IE compatible even though many people still use it?"

It's not that you make "no effort", but more that you don't sacrifice features and options in other standards compatible browsers because IE fails to comply.

I'll 3rd of 4th the auto image sizing that someone brought up.

I'm sorry. My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
All Downloads are now HERE
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 03:34
Quote: "(not directed at you since you know the situation etc) "

Who?

Quote: "I know you don't mean to, but you're really beginning to come across as a little arrogant with your Windows 8.1/10/Mobile/IE/Edge shenanigans. Please realize that there are many of us who do experience these problems, even though you don't. And that doesn't mean we need to change."

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 05:00 Edited at: 18th Sep 2015 05:01
Quote: "What???"
I mean this kindly, but I think you're on the side of being a Microsoft fanboy. That's fine of course, as you have the right to your opinions. It just gets a little irritating when you seem to tell us that our problems occur because we don't use what you do.

That's what it seemed like you were saying. Maybe not. If not, I digress. There's a good chance I was in a bad mood when I first called your case on this.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 06:05
Quote: " There's a good chance I was in a bad mood when I first called your case on this. "

Guilty of that myself very recently not offended in any way

I try my best not to insinuate that one must use what I use because of xyz opinion or experience, I state as often as I can that you use what works for you... I only point out that I do not have such an issue and state what I am using if it comes across as 'You Would Not Have That Problem If You Were On My Platforms' then I think I should probably type that instead

Looks back... Oh right maybe this gives that impression oh well

If you notice many people enjoy stating USE GOOGLE [Even though unofficially/officially it is the technical short word to say 'go do a web search' and frankly it should not be... it is kind of like saying I need a coca cola/cola [crap drink btw, just my opinion] when you mean you need some form of fluid... like I don't know, Orange Juice perhaps] whereas I just post a link of a search which brought up a result relating to the request and bam someone hammers you for using bing and stating you suggested people to use bing....... [queue Jackie Chan WTH!? Pic here] Bing works fine, I just don't like having to click NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, when viewing images or videos when performing a simple search... I think google has moved to what bing has been doing for some time recently last year or something?

So yeah Unlike some on here playing Passive-Aggressive intentionally , You can safely assume I never intend to be so, and if I am coming across as such, [as some of you know, I make my points as clear as needs be...] You can expect me not intending to be so...

PS, I 'HATE' [A word I seldom use; for its negativity factor of 1,000,000,000,000 TN TN %] this nonsense debate over browsers and speeds, a few 'ms' is not a deal breaker... all you are proving is that it can serve you a few hundred ads faster.......

But yeah back to the point, I do not mean to come across as saying you should be using xyz nor stating that you would not have xyz issue if you were using xyz...

And in defence of MS being slow to the feature game, I think you only need to look to EDGE for a prime reason why... Features is one thing, Enhancements is a whole new ball game! [See what I did there?] but seriously though... let's not hop away from the simple goal of all this, getting the content we want in a presentable manner! ads can wait...

[ Note: it is 4AM here, and I am very tired... so if any of the above makes no sense, I guess it was meant to be... ]

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 07:45
Quote: "Who?"

I meant it as a question not directed at anyone in general, just a "what does one do" sort of question.

Quote: "It's not that you make "no effort", but more that you don't sacrifice features and options in other standards compatible browsers because IE fails to comply"

Well that sort sounds fair, but since IE still miraculously has the majority market share (source) you're hurting a lot of potential viewers by not going out of your way to make your site compatible with Microsoft's crappy non-compliant browser.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 18:52 Edited at: 18th Sep 2015 18:54
Quote: "Please The Next do not neglect IE/Edge compatibility like so many others out there"

I will be supporting IE9 and above only as with all sites I develop, this means I can use many HTML5 and CSS3 features. That is the most common IE browser supported on Windows 7. I don't support XP or Vista versions of IE for new developments as there is no support for them now and frankly it is not worth the time or effort to get IE8 or below to work sensibly.

This is even easier to justify in the case of TGC sites as the stats show we get very few IE users and those we do get are almost always on IE9 or above.

As for edge I will support that as it makes a very good attempt at modern standards.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 18:54
YAY!

The Next btw where are you based? can PM me if need be just curious if you are up north or elsewhere in the UK...

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2015 00:28
I am currently based in Hampshire

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2015 00:47
Cool, I drop around that end often

Keep up the good work!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2015 09:04
Gotcha Mr. Valentine, all is cleared up now. Not really sure why I called your case in the first place, but I guess we all do silly things sometimes!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 00:30
Dark Java Dude 64

Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 05:03
all threads are just one page when many were many many pages.. Are they going to be restored?

Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 05:07
PS why remove any? text files take up nothing. My wish is the board be restored completely. I just started a little Christmas game for all the grandkids, and many of my book marks are mission or incomplete.

If I knew you guys were going to rape the board I would have cloned it on my hard drives.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 07:15 Edited at: 20th Sep 2015 07:17
Quote: "PS why remove any? text files take up nothing."

Actually, yes, text files take up a rather large amount of space when they have been occupying the same server space for 13+ years. Also, it's not just the text files they store, but any image attachments and program attachments. So there's probably well over 1TB+ of data stored on TGC's forum server just from 13 years of activity. I would hardly call that "nothing".

Quote: "If I knew you guys were going to rape the board I would have cloned it on my hard drives."

Please refrain from using such a terrible word in completely the wrong way in the future. That was totally unnecessary.

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 07:20
If I recall correctly, the forum is approximately 55GB in total...

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 07:29
Quote: "Please refrain from using such a terrible word in completely the wrong way in the future. That was totally unnecessary."
This may be a stretch, but I think he meant to type "rake".

Yeah, 55GB aint too much for what this place is.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 11:50 Edited at: 20th Sep 2015 11:52
Rape is a perfectly acceptable word to use and fits the context correctly.

Definition of rape
I refer you to point #2

Although in this case, I'm sure the forum is going to be improved and not suffer from wanton destruction!

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 13:27
Quote: "So there's probably well over 1TB+ of data stored on TGC's forum server just from 13 years of activity. I would hardly call that "nothing"."

Even 1TB isn't that much data for a server to store. Our home NAS stores and backs up (via parity bits) around 7TB of data (with room for ~2TB more), with another 8TB or so of normal computer backups (with room for ~1TB more). 1TB is pretty small.

Now, when we start getting into accessing that data, particularly if it's in databases.... that's a different ball game

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 15:43
Quote: "Now, when we start getting into accessing that data, particularly if it's in databases.... that's a different ball game"

that's the issue

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 16:20
Quote: "Rape is a perfectly acceptable word to use and fits the context correctly."

No. No it isn't. Did you ever stop to consider that maybe, just maybe, somebody on here might know somebody that almost had that happened to them, or did have it happen? Or, as typical of the internet, did we just let our mouths (or fingers) run and don't care what comes out as long as TGC doesn't censor it?

There are so many different words that could have been used but instead we had to go and use an offensive one and now it's been deemed "ok". That's not cool at all.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 16:25
While I would like to side with Yoda, I have to admit there is more than one actually common use of the term, political people use the term often around the globe... as do documentarists...

I think I recall them using the term in this documentary, worth watching if you have not already any way...

HOME

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 16:52 Edited at: 20th Sep 2015 17:01
I couldn't disagree with you more!

The beauty (or perhaps curse) of the English language is that a word can have more than one meaning.
It's very obvious which meaning of the word was being used here and if you choose to take in another way then I would say that the problem isn't with the choice of word used but rather the problem is with your understanding of how English works.

In this context, no offence was meant or implied. The only reason we are discussing it at all is because you have chosen to misinterpret it.

Perhaps you need a lesson on homophones, homonyms and homographs?
"From the bow of the ship the archer drew back his bow and fired just as the girl took a bow and the arrow passed through the bow in her hair"
It is clear that the above sentence uses the word 'bow' in four different ways but in your world that sentence would make no sense because bow can only have one meaning.

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 17:12
Scraggle I YOUR BRAIN

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 23:06 Edited at: 21st Sep 2015 03:20
Quote: "I would say that the problem isn't with the choice of word used but rather the problem is with your understanding of how English works"

or you're one of those who likes to get offended for no reason.

I'm sorry. My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
All Downloads are now HERE
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 05:32
So, basically what you guys are saying is that you don't really care if the word has a negative connotation, you're going to use it anyway.

For your information, in case you're wondering why I'm so concerned about it in the first place, a dear friend several years ago was stuck in that exact situation. A few years later, my sister was almost raped. Very scary situation!

So, when I see that word, it brings back a lot of bad memories, and bad feelings. I realize that seeing it is completely unavoidable - I read in the news everyday, but that was the first time I've EVER seen the word used on here, and it was used in such a poor manner it got a bit of a rise out of me.

It's not that I don't understand the English language, or that I get offended easily. It's just that it brings back some bad memories. So I don't want the same to happen to someone else if they've experienced anything similar.

Plus, I'm really pick about using "proper" words. It's not because I try to be super-duper "politically correct" or anything like that, it's just that I don't like using offensive words for something simple. Take, for example, saying something like "that shirt is so retarded" or something like that. Just because it's a strange shirt doesn't necessitates the use of a word that has a completely different meaning.

Anyway, I'll leave it alone. I just thought I'd say why I took my stance on it like I did.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 05:37 Edited at: 21st Sep 2015 05:38
It's understandable. You're going through some crap in life right now, so I don't think it's fair for us to expect you to take everything lightly. (that is meant in a very good way)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 10:14
In a family-rated forum common sense should prevail. If you are going to use a word that could potentially offend or upset and there is an alternative word, use the alternative word.

I think we can get back on topic...

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 12:48
Quote: "PS why remove any? text files take up nothing. My wish is the board be restored completely"

Nothing is being removed, you also vastly underestimate how large a database can become with years of data and indexing. This site is a lot more than a few text files.

@All

Please keep this thread on topic. There is obviously a difference in opinion, but if you have an issue you can report the post and a mod will take a look.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 14:00
Indeed it is very large. I've tried to index the site but I quickly ran out of storage and I can't afford more hard drives. If anybody would like to help get in touch with me!

The text is great to have but really for a forum of this type, we need the code attachments, images, etc.

Do note that the old forums are lost and after contact with TGC peeps there are no backups. I am afraid it will probably happen with these forums (if not tomorrow maybe some day down the road) unless anybody can step up.

Anyway, create a new thread if you would like to discuss this topic more, or get a hold of me since this is not the topic of this thread!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 14:19
Quote: "Anyway, create a new thread if you would like to discuss this topic more, or get a hold of me since this is not the topic of this thread!"

Thread created for discussion here.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2015 23:08
Getting a lot of forum hanging on load using mobile data... Have to force refresh... The forum has been sluggish for weeks now... Did you reduce the performance package that the forum is hosted on because of the move?

A very important feature request from me is...

Redirect after login...

When we click a link in an email I hate having to sign in if the browser for whatever reason logged you out... And then having to click back and then sometimes refresh... It should redirect back to the caller page...

Hope that was descriptive enough...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 02:11
Quote: "Redirect after login...

When we click a link in an email I hate having to sign in if the browser for whatever reason logged you out... And then having to click back and then sometimes refresh... It should redirect back to the caller page..."

I've said this before. It's really annoying having to go back-back after logging in.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 02:13
Well agreed! Likewise a similar feature for the profile settings page.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 05:21
Quote: "Likewise a similar feature for the profile settings page. "

Huh?

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 08:49
You click into said page, move some settings around, then it gives you the option to go back to the forum. Instead of going to the page you come from, it takes you to the default forum home page. Not a big issue, but something that would be neat if it didn't do that.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 09:14
Ah I see... Totally agree! Also a jump to bottom anchor link!!!

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2015 19:30
Quote: "Getting a lot of forum hanging on load using mobile data... Have to force refresh... The forum has been sluggish for weeks now... Did you reduce the performance package that the forum is hosted on because of the move?"

No there has not been any change in the current server hosting, nor have the site files been changed. Hopefully the new forum will perform better.

Quote: "When we click a link in an email I hate having to sign in if the browser for whatever reason logged you out... And then having to click back and then sometimes refresh... It should redirect back to the caller page..."

This isn't to do with the forum but the main TGC site, so won't change as part of this update. We plan to upgrade parts of the TGC site in the future so expect to see that at some point though.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2015 23:49
Thanks!

Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 06:09 Edited at: 27th Sep 2015 06:14
Quote: "Quote: "Please refrain from using such a terrible word in completely the wrong way in the future. That was totally unnecessary."
This may be a stretch, but I think he meant to type "rake"."

Being Female. yes that is a most terrible thing.. And the memory never ever seems to go away.

Thank you for correcting my typo and yes I have many TB of space. I am I guess a data hoarder. my files go back to 1972 ish. I can't count the number of times i searched for specific line of code or a text file with information i needed.. What you have is GOLD guys.. And more valuable than any model pack..

Think about it Years and Years of how too's in game creations and programming, How too's of model making, Graphics.. shading and on and on.

How about a link to download

Rick are you going to weigh in on this. You know the value you have here.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 19:28:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 19:28:42