Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / New AppGameKit Visual Editor launched today

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2017 09:40 Edited at: 4th Sep 2017 09:43
another bug, if scene 1 is left empty but you create other scenes and fill those it will save correctly but when reloading the project in visual editor it won't load the other scenes - only the first scene is selectable/shown there (which is blank) -> clicking the + scene button till you get to the desired scene does restore the saved scenes though they will be broken and unable to select or move the restored scene entities.
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2017 09:42
Quote: "Feature wise we still need to plan what's next from the big list of ideas. We don't publish what we are doing because people then hold us to this and it's then difficult to change mid term. The aim now is to do an update at least every 2 months so you see new features added on a regular basis."

Hopefully you are still going to do the complete Box2D up-to-date command set that was previously promised. As for the Visual Editor, it's not bad. It needs a lot of work and I think it is over-priced at $50 but hopefully it will grow into it's price tag at some point. I'll stick to my own editor for now, it does a lot more.
I love my Altair 8800 Replica.

http://altairclone.com/
pugmartin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2017 15:38
Hi,

Looks good to me.

However, I am trying to use with physics and having issues.
I assume that although the 'Physics' toggle in the editor allows selecting from True / False, these settings are not saved at current?
If I save and reload then these settings default back to False for each sprite entity.

I tried to work around this by cycling through in code, from "sprite 1" upwards and manually turning on physics for each sprite with a simple loop.
However... nothing comes to life, nothing moves.

*IF* however I create a new sprite in the code and set physics on for this entity, it will fall down the screen and bounce off the sprites placed by the Editor (and with physics turned on by me manually in code after). I can only assume that the Editor placement is overriding the placement of all the sprites and 'locking' them down - could this be correct?

smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2017 19:45
Quote: "
However, I am trying to use with physics and having issues.
I assume that although the 'Physics' toggle in the editor allows selecting from True / False, these settings are not saved at current?
If I save and reload then these settings default back to False for each sprite entity.

I tried to work around this by cycling through in code, from "sprite 1" upwards and manually turning on physics for each sprite with a simple loop.
However... nothing comes to life, nothing moves.

*IF* however I create a new sprite in the code and set physics on for this entity, it will fall down the screen and bounce off the sprites placed by the Editor (and with physics turned on by me manually in code after). I can only assume that the Editor placement is overriding the placement of all the sprites and 'locking' them down - could this be correct?"

try setting SetSpriteActive(id,1) too as by default all sprites placed in the editor are set to 0 (this also causes them to not animate).
life's one big game
pugmartin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2017 20:31
try setting SetSpriteActive(id,1) too as by default all sprites placed in the editor are set to 0 (this also causes them to not animate).
"

Thanks for that mate, just tried however and no change. I can see where you are coming from though.
It feels to me like they are locked each update back to where they are set from the Visual Editor.

Anyone any idea?
pugmartin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2017 22:13
Right.

Ive found a few things:

* placing 10 sprites in the editor and then deleting 5 doesnt reorder the sprite naming, ie the next one placed will be "sprite 11" rather than "sprite 6".
doesnt sound much, but its a pain when cycling through the sprites with the helper functions as there isnt a helper function to check if a sprite exists.
I've had to manually go through and rename "sprite 1", "sprite 2", "sprite 3" etc up to the last sprite number so my looping functions work neatly

* brings me onto... renaming a sprite by clicking on it in the Visual Editor, clicking the "sprite 13" name in the box to the right, and changing to "sprite 1", then clicking out of the box to do something else *doesnt* save the change. Worth mentioning as it caught me out a couple times - you have to manually press Enter to register the change.

* with my above problem, manually looping through in code using the helper ID function, then setting the physics on for each does nothing. Im setting the physics mode for each sprite to 2, for dynamic.

* check it by putting the physics debug mode on, nothing happens, and all sprites are shown as green (static) rather than the cream I'd expect (for dynamic).

* if I go into the code for the helper functions direct, and change the "visualeditor_scene.agk" file code from:

// switch to static if nothing has been set
if VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].physics = 0
VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].physics = 1
endif

to:

// switch to static if nothing has been set
VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].physics = 2
endif

And run again, the debugger shows the sprites correct, and they start moving. However, they are squares, and the "Type" box of the Visual Editor (set to "polygon" for each) has no bearing.
This seems to indicate that changing physics properties outside of the loader functions has no bearing? Only when I change *within* the loading functions do the changes apply.

If I then change the code directly below the above code from:

SetSpritePhysicsOn ( ID, VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].physics )
SetSpriteActive ( ID, VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].active )
SetSpriteFlip ( ID, VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].flipH, VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].flipV )

To:

SetSpritePhysicsOn ( ID, VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].physics )
SetSpriteShape(ID, 3)
SetSpriteActive ( ID, VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].active )
SetSpriteFlip ( ID, VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].flipH, VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].flipV )

Then I can see that the shapes change accordingly using the physics debugger.
Why is it I cant set outside of the load functions?
Why are the physics flags of the Visual Editor not being taken into account?

* I thought it may be along the lines of the physics settings not being saved correctly in the Visual Editor as I found before (create a project, change the physics settings, then save and reload the project, the physics settings are back to default), so I started playing about with this:
1) If the sprite physics are set to FALSE, then my above method for changing in the loading functions works
2) If the sprite physics are set to TRUE and the project is run, then the above method in the loading functions stops working for that sprite
3) if the project is then saved, reloaded and run again, then the above method works again! Proving the sprites default fully back to FALSE
4) as an aside, if the FALSE wording of the physics property of a sprite is double clicked, then it jumps over to TRUE but then wont let you change back to FALSE unless you save and reload, on which point it goes back to FALSE as default above

Anyway, thems my findings!
I like what I see so far, but man I want these physics functions to work, my main reason for purchase.

smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2017 19:05 Edited at: 8th Sep 2017 19:10
i can confirm your findings, as a quick fix you can remove line 238 from visualeditor_scene.agc
*should read
Quote: " SetSpritePhysicsOn ( ID, VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].physics )"

and then you can manually set the physic modes yourself again as expected.

it doesn't work yet because the box only gives a true or false reading and then both settings are actually giving the same setting (which is 1 - for static mode).
so another possible solution is to change the lines
Quote: "// switch to static if nothing has been set
endif"

to
Quote: "// switch to static if nothing has been set
else
VisualEditor_Entities [ index ].physics = 2
endif"

though this will only give you static or dynamic (or change the = 2 to = 3 if you prefer kinematic).
life's one big game
pugmartin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2017 13:35
Hi smallg,

Thanks for that.

Done as you say, removed from the scene .agc file so I get to turn on physics in my setup code main.

But... if I now loop through all sprites and turn on manually:
(note I am pulling first letter from name$ set in the Editor to setup whether a box, circle, polygon shape and naming accordingly)

I see the debug physics data moving about and interacting as expected, but the actual physical sprites are not moving.
I may be being daft... but I cant see why?
Incidentally is there an easier (neater) way of cycling through all of the sprites of the scene? I have a feeling I am breaking links in the way I am getting at the IDs.

Thanks for the help so far mate, really appreciate it and helped me get a little further.
Martin
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the suggestions and reports. I have fixed a number of reported issues and will be dealing with others over the next few days.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2017 18:46
Another suggestion that will make the output more usable...

Sprite positioning should be selectable as SetSpritePosition or SetSpritePositionByOffset.
If not optional, it should use SetSpritePositionByOffset.

The reason is that Tweens use the type of positioning for resizing. If you scale a sprite up from 0 to it's full size, it will currently go from the top left corner. If you position by offset, they will scale from the centre, which is much more useful for presenting GUI buttons, menus, click reactions etc.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
So how do I include newline/carriage returns in text?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2017 08:59

I think.
Click here for VR Legend of Zelda stuff
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2017 13:09
Chr(10)
--------------------------------
Join us on dedicated AppGameKit WeeKChat :
https://week.chat/room/AppGameKit
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
I think there is a saving bug that effects the text font sizes. Every so often if I quit the editor, and either restart the editor, or run my AppGameKit project the text font size has been doubled from what I set it in the editor. When this happens all the texts in every scene has been effected requiring me to resize all the text. Ill post more details when I can consistently reproduce this issue.
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
A number of fixes and improvement are being sorted out for the next update of the editor.

One of the new features is support for sprite sheets / atlases. My intention is to have it so that if a sprite sheet is detected all of the sub images that it contains will be displayed in the media panel, although I'm not sure this will work if your atlas contains many frames of animation rather than individual elements, in which case would you really want all of those images displayed? Has anyone got suggestions as to how this could work?
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 00:46 Edited at: 21st Sep 2017 00:56
Quote: "Has anyone got suggestions as to how this could work?"

I would load the image as a folder with a image overlay (small icon bottom right to distinguish its an atlas folder ) and make the subimages children of the main folder image in the tree so they can be collapsed and hidden and also be used as individual images

in which case would you really want all of those images displayed?"

You could add a right click menu item for the media panel to 'Hide/Show Subimages' but being able to collapse the node work just as well if not better

Quote: "although I'm not sure this will work if your atlas contains many frames of animation rather than individual elements,"

I cant see why not, we can load tileset and animation strips as normal images as long as we can set the animation settings from the property box the editor will know how to display the sprite, atlas images need a subimage/txt file so only those should produce subimages in the tree, that would simplify things a bit rather than having to distinguish between atlas or tileset

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 18:13
I would use a special indicator in the media panel to show it is an atlas texture, with a pop-up window to show the sequence.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 21:47
Quote: "I would use a special indicator in the media panel to show it is an atlas texture, with a pop-up window to show the sequence."

+1
--------------------------------
Join us on dedicated AppGameKit WeeKChat :
https://week.chat/room/AppGameKit
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2017 07:43 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2017 07:45
Quote: "Has anyone got suggestions as to how this could work?"

I have been concidering the same thing for my current project and this is the hypothetical solution I have come up with:
Handle atlas textures as though they are folders by superimposing the atlas image on top of a folder image and then have them behave exactly the same way as a folder.

Animated spritesheets are another kettle of fish - they are essentially just sprites with no way to determine otherwise (with code). So they would appear as a single image in the media selector and would behave as a single image - nothing you do about that without user intervention. So ...
Give the user the option to right click on the spritesheet and set it as a spritesheet. You then bring up a pop-up window that asks for the number and size of each frame which is saved in a text file called "{filename} spritesheet.txt" that the software can look for in future to determine that this is a spritesheet.
You then use the same system as an atlas texture to display the spritesheet as a folder (or movie frame?) with the first frame superimposed on it.
You could take it a step further by allowing the user to identify reference frames (1-16 is walk/17-32 is run etc.) and have them saved in the text file.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2017 09:03 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2017 09:03
I'd handle atlas textures as a folder. Clicking on it would show all subimages.
I'd handle animated textures by animating it in the preview panel. (perhaps only when mouse over?)

I'd differentiate between the two by detecting the subimages.txt file and asking the user what kind of file it is. (Or by having distinct import atlas, or import animation option.
Click here for VR Legend of Zelda stuff
Tumira
Years of Service
User Offline
Or maybe do something like how Unity split texture atlas or spritesheets. Set on the inspector as multi image , then user open another windows or editor. Unity will try and give options to user to split all the sprites by grid or auto. Auto (is for randomly sized image in the spritesheets). Sometimes it does not split correctly, but it still allows the user to adjust the box of the images and even allows the user to create sub image name for each images in the atlas or spritesheets. From the asset folder there is a small arrow icons that will show all the list of images created and it can be collapsed or uncollapsed.

Yes Im a unity user trying AppGameKit right now. Dont hate me.
pugmartin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 12:49
Hi Orvillian,

Do we know yet when the next update will be released?

Do we know if physics issues are to be resolved in this release?

Keep up the good work!
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
A Mac version of the Visual Editor has been released today on Steam. Anyone who has purchased the Steam version can now download this.

Thanks for the recent feedback. Some good ideas on how to implement new features.

A number of new features and bug fixes are on the way, including dealing with the physics issue, although it's likely going to be another couple of weeks before this gets released. There may be a beta version available to test prior to release.
jhanson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 15:55
@Orvillian - When will the Mac version be coming to not-Steam? Thanks!
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 16:42
Hi jhanson,

We have added a download Mac BETA to TheGameCreators accounts. So if you have already purchased the Visual Editor you should now be able to download it from the TheGameCreators servers.

Rick
Development Director
TGC Team
jhanson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 16:45
@RickV - Thank you! I can't wait to take a look at it tonight.
XANAX 2B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2017 08:43
Just ordered this night. Its good and will be very good !
I've tried to make a 640x480 screen with 1.33 ratio, but each time i save the project, close VE, re-open it, and load it again, VE refuse to set my 640x480 resolution.
Is it a limitation ?
Don't let the world decrease your conatus
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
XANAX 2B, to change the resolution please try the following -

Open Visual Editor
Open your project
Click on the Portrait drop down and select Landscape or Both
Click on the drop down list of resolutions and select Edit Resolutions...
Click on the Add button
Enter the width and height values in the dialog
Now you will see the 640 x 480 resolution in the list
Click on the resolution and then click on Set Base
Press OK to finish everything

Your project is now set up to use 640 x 480 as the base resolution. You can now lay out your screens and when you save and reload this resolution will be selected.
XANAX 2B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2017 12:59
Thanks Orvillian, i forgot to set it as Base resolution.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2017 20:46 Edited at: 28th Sep 2017 22:20
Instead of just giving this advice:
Quote: "Animated spritesheets are another kettle of fish - they are essentially just sprites with no way to determine otherwise (with code). So they would appear as a single image in the media selector and would behave as a single image - nothing you do about that without user intervention. So ...
Give the user the option to right click on the spritesheet and set it as a spritesheet. You then bring up a pop-up window that asks for the number and size of each frame which is saved in a text file called "{filename} spritesheet.txt" that the software can look for in future to determine that this is a spritesheet.
You then use the same system as an atlas texture to display the spritesheet as a folder (or movie frame?) with the first frame superimposed on it.
You could take it a step further by allowing the user to identify reference frames (1-16 is walk/17-32 is run etc.) and have them saved in the text file."

I've written some code to do it here:
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/220613
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2017 16:50
Does this work with percentage mode?
Tumira
Years of Service
User Offline
How do I set the sprite position on all resolutions (Ipad, android phone) ?
I have set the base as 640x960
When I retrieved the ID of an object player using this command and try to set it position to 320,480

PlayerObject.PlayerID=VisualEditor_GetID ( "Player", 5 )
SetSpritePosition(PlayerObject.PlayerID,320,480)

The position of the player sprite is different on all of the devices. Since this is a grid puzzle game, it just wont work and is incorrect.
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
JohnnyMeek, the current system uses a virtual resolution. It can easily be converted to a percentage mode in your project if required, although you would have to code this manually.

Tumira, I would suggest setting up the scene in your base resolution, then switch to other resolutions and if necessary turn dynamic resolution off for entities that need better placement on these resolutions. If you do this you can position your player sprite correctly. When it comes to the in game logic you can move it relative to its starting position.
Tumira
Years of Service
User Offline
@Orvillian I did set everything correctly in the base resolution. My problem is not about placement or starting position, it is about setspriteposition commands does not reflect the base resolution but it follows the device resolution so on Ipad if I set the SetSpritePosition(ID,320,480) it would be on top left region. While on base resolution it should be in the middle (base resolution is 640,960)

Can you confirm this is not on my end by checking the broadcasting feature ? When testing with AppGameKit on windows it does not have this bug, only on android and ipad while doing broadcasting.

Thanks
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Tumira, the command SetSpritePosition doesn't know anything about the information from the Visual Editor, so it's working as expected. I think what we need is a bunch of extra utility functions that you can call in Tier 1 that will correctly position things for you, based on your scene layouts. I'll get this sorted out.
Tumira
Years of Service
User Offline
@Orvillian Thank You So much. This would make my life easier!
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
An updated beta version is available on Steam. Anyone who owns the Visual Editor will get the new files as an update. The files are available in a folder named _BETA and can be found in the install location e.g. E:\Steam\steamapps\common\App Game Kit 2\DLC\Visual Editor\_BETA. A number of changes have been made including a new animation editor (found under the media menu). Sprite sheets / atlases can also be imported. Bear in mind there may be issues with this build as it's still undergoing testing. Please let me know if you encounter any problems.
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
The update is also available for anyone who purchased the editor directly on the main website. This is an additional download that can be found in your order history, listed as Visual Editor Beta 061017. It does not contain an installer. Extract the files and place in a convenient location.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2017 19:37
cool, will we get virtual buttons soon? i mostly like to use your editor for easier design of menus etc and virtual buttons are a big part of this
life's one big game
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Virtual buttons are on the list. Prior to that there's a bunch of small fixes and improvements to be sorted.
Tumira
Years of Service
User Offline
@Orvillian, does the beta have the new functions or utility for SetSpritePosition regarding different positions on the devices ?
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Not just yet. I'm going to look into those next week.
Tumira
Years of Service
User Offline
Some bugs or limitation
1)Cannot add the individual image from spritesheets as animations when creating animations
2)Cannot rename the animation names
3)I've mistakenly selected the "Animation name" header ? and click delete. It will crashed the editor.
4)Individual sprite from spritesheets are not shown in the "scene" list or hierarchy in the "Scene" tab.
5)Sometimes it is hard to change the size ,scale in the properties. Especially if I want to change the X or Y value manually

Some suggestions
1)Add option to show grid outside of the viewport ? Usable for large maps or levels like platformer or rts game.
2)Auto generate spritesheets/ atlases using the visual edior instead of needing to add subimages.txt ? Maybe add option to add what is the gridsize of the spritesheets in the editor. After that we can also rename the individual images. There is some option or checkbox to let the visual editor know that this is a spritesheet and not just a normal sprite. We can also delete empty sprites generated manually because from the spritesheets there might be empty cells or grid that are not used especially at the end row maybe?.
3)Show the individual image of the spritesheet instead of just "+" icons
4)Allow us to resize the image thumbnail for the media or scene tabs. Maybe provide (Thumbnails (default right now), details, or list). Or maybe big,medium,small icons or preview ? For a big projects, this might be easier to navigate the list.
5)From the scene tab, allow us to right click on an entity (sprites, fonts and etc) and have options to focus on the viewport .
6)Allow us to duplicate scenes
7)Remove 50 scene limitations ? I might want to do 100 levels for my games.
8)Add feature for us to paint the current selected sprite(including the individual sprite from spritesheets). Select a sprite from the scene tab, select paint icon, and just paint on the scene with the same properties . User may need to add 1 sprite first and set the properties. Will snap to grid.
9)Add layer for us to manage our scenes including show, hide, or lock the layer, and add show or hide layer utility of functions for us to show or hide maybe pause menu , iap menu and etc.

Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Tumira, thanks for your feedback. You mentioned that you were unable to add the individual image from spritesheets as animations when creating animations. This may be because your image does not sit alongside a subimages.txt file. The animation dialog can only detect animation frames if this file exists.
Tumira
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2017 09:27 Edited at: 9th Oct 2017 09:33
@Orvillian

I did add the subimages.txt file. The Visual Editor detected the individual images including the animation dialog able to show the individual images of the spritesheets( when I expanded the spritesheets). However when I double clicked on the child of the spritesheet, nothing happens. It does not added to the frame list ?
I can drag the individual images into the scenes, just it cannot be added into the frames list when double clicked.

May I know why did you guys limit the scenes ? Currently the max total of scenes is 50, am I correct ? Is it possible to remove this ?
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2017 10:10
minor bug: refreshing the media after adding media (to the new app's media folder) now causes the media list to become wrong if there was no media in the folder to begin with (it seems to work correctly if the folder is not empty though)
life's one big game
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Tumira, I have removed the limit of 50 scenes. You can now have as many as you like in the next version. I have sent you a PM regarding the image issue. Please email me using the details I have sent and I'll figure out what's going wrong with the image.

smallg, thanks for the report. I'll get that fixed.

smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2017 10:31
sorry, just found another one, you can no longer delete (sprites or text) using the delete key on your keyboard (using the beta version).
life's one big game
XANAX 2B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2017 12:07
Hello Orvillian, how to download the beta version under Steam for me to help ?
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2017 13:56
Quote: "Hello Orvillian, how to download the beta version under Steam for me to help ?"

Quote: "The files are available in a folder named _BETA and can be found in the install location e.g. E:\Steam\steamapps\common\App Game Kit 2\DLC\Visual Editor\_BETA"

open the .exe from there instead of the normal .exe
life's one big game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:50:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:50:23