Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Testing Planet Defense

Author
User Banned
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 12:43
How about creating a heli-pad. which you start on, collect the bricks and when your heli gets full, then you have to go back to heli-pad to empty and then reload with more.

The bricks then gets automatically transformed into something different which creates upgrades to your helicopter.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 15:13 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 16:26
oh yes I like the idea of a heli-pad

hows this for a helipad

fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 17:38
Thats looks good

Maybe change the outskirts of colour of the HeliPad - through the colours RED->orange->yellow->green depending on the Fuel of the helicopter - when it gets to orange->red then you have to get to it and land to get fuel

otherwise you crash into the sphere

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 17:44 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 17:44
Nice! You are building a very interesting game here. Look forward to the next update!

And puzzler has some good gameplay ideas.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 18:02 Edited at: 7th Sep 2018 13:24
Starting to come together now

Edited video removed please see further down

You now can run out of fuel the blue barrels are fuel the hearts give extra lives and ofcoures the yellow blocks are your pickups
you take back to the helipad. The raycasting aint perfected yet and I still get objects placed over other objects which causes
pickup issues but its now coming together and beginning to look like something. Wasn't sure weather to stick with green but I
think adding tiny bits of colour is nicer but keeping to like primary colors. What do others think ?
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 18:29 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 18:37
Quote: "Maybe change the outskirts of colour of the HeliPad - through the colours RED->orange->yellow->green depending on the Fuel of the helicopter"

That could work I may be able to use a shader to do that best where a second transparent texture with the color I want to add

This shader should work for that

lightsShader=LoadShader( "neon.vs", "neon.ps" )
SetShaderConstantByName(lightsShader,"lightint",1.0,0.0,0.0,0.0) // I can just change the 1 here to a float between 1 and 0
SetShaderConstantByName(lightsShader,"lightson",1.0,0.0,0.0,0.0)

neon.vs

neon.ps

for example this method I could have a second texture green in parts but a percentage factor of green depending on the amount of fuel
Il try it and see what you think
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 19:29 Edited at: 7th Sep 2018 13:25
how about something like this Puzzler showing the fuel on the helipad

Kinda starts as a pale red kinda yellowish for a bit then finally bright red shows out of fuel
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 19:55
Looks great to me

But what if the heli pad is on the other side of the globe. So maybe a flash of red light every second that extruding out from it - the player will see those flashes red of which alarms the player to then fly back to the pad as quickly as possible to recoup fuel.

Looking really good though:-

Keep up good work
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 21:56
I think if you change with the camera angle you can really open up the play field. (sorry about the crappy video)
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 22:02
thanks

You only drop blocks at the heli pad to fill up you have to pick up one of the blue fuel cells spread out across globe
but I guess while your dopping off the blocks there is a need to know the fuel level theres also the F: text up top

There will prob be some kinda animation as the blocks are droppped at the helipad probably just gradually lowering
onto the helipad one at a time and perhaps a blink effect as each one lands on the pad

fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 22:04 Edited at: 7th Sep 2018 13:25
Quote: "I think if you change with the camera angle you can really open up the play field"

That's a good idea

Do you think these angles and positions are better ?

I also been have been toying with the idea of changing the color of the heli to show you need fuel
but this time just using a white texture and setting colors (no shader needed this way)

at 50 percent the heli turns yellow and 20 percent red I tried with a percentage factor but with AppGameKit there don't seem to be a way of
changing the brightness of the color applied to it.
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 03:08
Yes that looks good. If you change the angle so it looks more toward the top of the sphere you get more of the gameplay area.
Mostly the chopper has to be at the bottom of the screen. I know this cuts out the boxes attached to the chopper but I thought maybe i could change the chopper to a shape where the boxes could be incorporated
into its body. You would be limited to 8 boxes in total though.
What do you think?
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 03:35 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 03:49
Quote: "I thought maybe i could change the chopper to a shape where the boxes could be incorporated
into its body. You would be limited to 8 boxes in total though."

That might work not sure how they would sit. Are you thinking have 4 left and 4 to the right when I attach them

Whats your opinion on the helipad I converted from a primitive ?
and the touches of color

Here is the latest code I just emailed the latest media rar its only 895k this time but has the changes to the media
keeping you uptodate
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 04:18 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 04:19
This is what i was thinking of.
I don't have a lot of time ATM. I have a very big project on right now but i get a few minutes every now and then

this is what it would look like in game (roughly)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 05:09 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 05:21
That would work, would I rotate the props the same way apologies for late reply been in and out myself today

and more suitable for picking up of blocks could possibly still use the chopper as air planet defence or perhaps to the sides accompanying
me as a sort of auto shoot partner in crime. Yes I think that would be good to helis by my side one to the left and one to the right accompanying
me shooting attached to my ship which would be the new one you have designed that way you just concentrate on picking up blocks and not
running out of fuel

Thanks for all your help
fubar
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 09:01
Looks super cool fubpark….
Blink your models are great..
Loved that textured chopper
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 12:26 Edited at: 31st Aug 2018 00:25
Thanks cliff, and yes the models are great blink0k is such a talented modeller
I found raycasting just wasn't cutting it for the duplicate entries so I added this function creating a new array and removing old verts array
will also be better when I recreate everything for level increases (not so sure the round function is needed here but I definitely needed to
use the round function when I did something similar with pixelated labrynth)

complete source so far

The blocks/fuel/lives pickups raycasting does work but needs improving but I think il leave it as changing the positions of
the heli and different models all seem to have an effect
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 13:00 Edited at: 7th Sep 2018 13:26
Too many things happening lately so not allot of progress but theres always tomorrow
Added sounds and increased the range they shoot from. Think now I may have to use a percentage health based system
but its allot better seeing more enemy fire. I use three colors for the heli green good yellow running low of fuel and red
shot or very little fuel. If I go the percentage way of taking shots it will show yellow when not so healthy. There are two
helipads one at the NorthPole and one at the SouthPole but may add them West and East to make them easier to find.
Also fixed the angles on the heli and it now rotates around the globe relative to the angle I always get a bit confused
when you have to swap the x and z angles. The heli also auto fires making it more mobile friendly

Also added the latest heli model courtesy of blink0k

PS ive deleted allot of the older videos my youtube had so many lol but this one shows
that the overlapping models nolonger exists and the picking up of fuel/lives/blocks working
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2018 09:55 Edited at: 7th Sep 2018 13:26
ok this is where its at new models courtesy of blink and extra carnage
the new model can hold up to 12 crates in its hud The blocks have changed and you will notice the turrets have too that's work in
progress but if in range those turrets aim at the heli the bullets are just simple dots red for enemy and green for your own shots atm

fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 1st Sep 2018 10:10
Wow - you achieving amazing results every single day

Keep up good work
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2018 10:32 Edited at: 1st Sep 2018 21:35
Thanks blinks got some great ideas too like a clever trick I didn't know about obj files are text files and you can easily subtract
the vertex data from them that's how the planets loaded now that way with the vertexs you can position better on the texture
map see previous code snippet but hes also suggested a method that you can subtract the faces to build a model so in effect
I could have an array of faces for a model that could be used for an explosion kinda similar to my vertex explosion with memblocks
but this way less overheads and moves faces of a model not vertexs. I love the new models loved the old ones but this one very
original and perfect for such a game The turrets aim at heli now bengismo pointed me in the right direction for that. the issue
was I couldn't do it with a front facing model it needed to be top facing atm its just a rectangle but that's all that's needed just
textured better.
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 01:19
Looks good!
I think if you made the chopper move using acceleration/velocity/friction so it had a bit of momentum it might feel a bit more realistic.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 02:41 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2018 02:46
Looking pretty good you guys! May I make one suggestion to make the game more fair? Have some kind of visual warning (visual UI cue) before a turret fires, it than fires three shots before it goes into a "reloading" cooldown. I think this would make the gameplay more fun.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 04:05 Edited at: 7th Sep 2018 13:26
good suggestions lots of visuals still to do but the guns shoot on a time now, didnt think they should shutdown for
overheating but thats not a bad idea

as for blinks suggestion ive been working on the acceleration/friction so far its two directional and looks like this

And you now start at a helipad and theres a home function to return you there for level changes when I do them lol
and it drops the boxes off one at a time gradually moving them to the helipad so it is possible to fly off with still half
a load and get more and come back
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 05:25 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2018 05:52

a change from code thought ide look at title screens. Lets see here who recognises the font from the forums lol
need to rotate it I think but I do think it is very suitable as a title screen. Just wish the font could be exported as a
model or even a memblock that could be later converted to a model. Il leave it here and see what puzzler thinks
as it was created with his post of code in the Minecraft thread.
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 07:38
Looks nice and fluid fubar! Sweet splash screen too.
Note: It's looks odd that one of the ribs appears to be in front of hover blades in the splash screen.
Send me the font and i'll make it a 3D model if you want
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 09:48
Its no ordinary TTF font as you might expect..

Its a primitive built one from code

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 10:16
Quote: "Its no ordinary TTF font as you might expect.."

Yep and I spent quite some time figuring how I could convert the vertex data to xyz vertices
but prob is you get vertices but no faces and the xyz data just has to be written xvalue yvalue zvalue newline like that in a text file
and loaded into a program like meshlab the prob is I didn't find any documentation of such in my efforts but meshlab will load the
vertices I guess that's a learning curve lol
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 10:25 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2018 10:30
If you get any vertexes with no faces then reverse the code.

Say

Triangle 1 with no face

Vertex 1 - 0 , 0 , 0
Vertex 2 - 10 , 0 , 0
Vertex 3 - 0 , 0 , 10

Reverse Vertex 2 and 3

Vertex 1 - 0 , 0 , 0
Vertex 3 - 0 , 0 , 10
Vertex 2 - 10 , 0 , 0

Should create a triangle with a face by reversing 2nd and 3rd vertices

Always think in 3s
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 10:42
For example

No Faces

With a face

Notice the swap on the AddVertex commands
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 11:04
I still don't get how I can convert a cube with

Im trying to convert your 3D Letters this is what I have so far just not sure about the above bit mentioned

the plan is to make one mesh from it lower overheads
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 11:27 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2018 11:35
You have to add more Vertexes - only 3makes a triangle, you need 2 triangles to make a face and you have 6 faces - so thats about 36 addvertexcommands

Try this

EDIT
Apologies the Bottom was showing no faces so reversed it

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 11:45 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2018 11:50
This is what you looking for - the letters are now in a mesh

But using just color makes them horrible, so maybe use

CreateObjectFromMeshWithUVTexturing(m ref as mesh, mode)

But will have to work out and assign the UVs for the texturing to work.

I havent tested if it will with a plain old texture image - will work something out today

Do you possibly have a texture to work with if you want to go that way
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 12:01
Thanks I think if it had a texture like

I could color it after
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 12:05
The main thing I was thinking is joining the meshes to make one mesh I think you have the function ive been looking at
the Minecraft thread
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 12:21
Ive added UV texturing to a mesh now

uses the texture cube.png

If you remove

180: MeshID.TriangleList.length=-1
181: MeshID.VertexList.length=-1

then it will just keep building on the same mesh over and over again each time you add to it

But it doesnt have any positioning data to where you require the next object.

PLease bear with me, ill work on something to create a box with positioning.

I dont think i have done this yet to be honest

Attachments

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 12:44
Sorry Fubarpk - the UVs are wrong after all, thats with myself rushing.. Ill get something to you later on today
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 12:50
All good im just happy with any help I can get, will be a good one to add to your coding snippets
If its too much of a problem it doesn't matter just thought you had a procedure that did it already
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 13:17
UVs corrected

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 18:38
Your a legend
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 19:37 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2018 19:37
Your welcome

Ive added positioning to the function so can now have different shapes and sizes to 1 mesh!

Use that cube.png
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 19:51
Sorry for posting lots

Here is a possible thing we can do now

GTA clone!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2018 21:11
That looks pretty awesome
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2018 00:46
Getting back to BlockLifter I think apart from a screen grab and made into a Title page the text routine
Has too many overheads i think to use in game was thinking i could use a 3D title in the intro placed
above one of the helipads and use my return heli home routine as sort of a game intro where it brings
into view the title as your heli flys there

You have done allot of work on it and hope you can use the new skills learned in Minecraft. I really
thought you had routines to do so. I hope your not offended if i decide not to use this time round but
sure I will in future

This is the new functions with text added
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2018 04:50 Edited at: 7th Sep 2018 13:27
The intro sequence before carnage

fubar