Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Matrix Demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 16:27
She is very hard at work at this time finishing the Evilution game, because school work has slowed it down, but she told me to say "Thanks" for the feedback.

You have to remember though that she was brought up with computers and that her dad (me) does work as a programmer, so its not too surprising that she understands programming like she does....But I'm not taking anything away from her when I say that. She is talented and I am proud of her. But I would say to anyone in her age group that all you have to do is keep at it and eventually you will improve. Everyone has to start somewhere after all.
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2004 10:02
Can you tell me how you got into the "programming industry" im interested because thats what i want to do

My avatar's cool. It has a mirror
Reaperman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2004 17:19
Yes Simpro I can....

I started as an ideas man.

When I was about 17 years old or so I found that I had a talent for designing games, and so I sat in my bedroom one month and churned out lots and lots and lots of game ideas. They were written down on paper and I tried to think of every aspect of game play that would be used.
When I had about 30 done, I went over them and decided which ones were the best, and I then made an animation to simulate the game. That was done using a Canon Cannosound super 8 camera and either a peg-board or traditional cells.
(Yes we are really going back in time folks)

I was one of the lucky ones tho as I met people who were either in the industry or had just got jobs themselves in it…so I got to know who to talk to and what they wanted etc.

I produced games later on (as I learnt 6809 and 6800 programming), but at the start I just developed game ideas. To give you a very small example of what I have done, (I was responsible for a lot of things either directly or working as a team), I co-authored Sprite Magic from Knight Software (sold for £3,800) and I wrote the first pre-release of Valhalla for the Amiga….Which was called “Vorgoth� originally. Actually, Valhalla was done in AMOS Basic…Not a lot of people know that...

You would find it impossible in today’s market to do what I did, but you can still get involved if you have a product to sell...or some brilliant concept for a game….and it would have to be brilliant, trust me on that.

But Darkbasic is a very good language, and all it takes for you to get in to the “industry� is determination, a new angle would also help and luck of cause...So you never know.
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2004 20:06 Edited at: 27th Mar 2004 20:07
I started in programming when I was about 10 or 11 I programmed in Qbasic. Although since no one in my amily had any decent programming knowlege I had to learn all the comncepts by my self. Then, from 12-14 I did very little programming. Now Ive been programming in dark basic for a while. (im 15 on monday)(this forum is BIG distraction from programming tho )

If you feel like writing a tutorial could you write one on the maths of game programming. I have no idea how you daughter made the cube and circles do what they did. By the way. Your daughter has some webdesign skills... Most people don't.

That program was nifty, but here other demo on the page is corrupted and won't extract.

Quote: "This site is for the tutorials and programming work in DarkBasic. Everything like Graphics and stuff is copyright to me, so dont nick it or I will rip your arms off and hit you with the soggy ends."

LOL.. That halarious.

DANGIT NEO, YOU CHANGED THE CODE AND NOW THE MATRIX WONT TEXTURE RIGHT.
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2004 21:37 Edited at: 27th Mar 2004 21:48
What can I say, I got a bit of help from my dad when I first started, but he was tring to remember stuff about BASIC from like 15 years gone or summit. Maybe if you gave it that final polish it could go n the showcase or something. Well Done.

I was really interested in your post on getting into the industry but unfortunately over here in the U.K. there are hardly any companies left because there closing down or getting bought out. Core is just one example. Who knows though maybe in 10 years everything will have changed. Well done again

code monkey 0gamemad0

HEY, YOU THERE, THE ONE READING THIS, WHY NOT VISIT OUR TEAM SITE.
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2004 08:55
i heard that core (responsible for tomb raider) have let Lara go to an American games company, so much for it being british, she will probaly get a voice make over now. It could however be good coz the last game (A O Darkness) was shockinglt bad.

My avatar's cool. It has a mirror
Reaperman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 19:34
Quote: "That program was nifty, but here other demo on the page is corrupted and won't extract."

Which one Cyberflame???... Try downloading it again and see if it was your connection.

Quote: "Maybe if you gave it that final polish it could go n the showcase or something."

Well its not for me to do that...its up to her. But I am surprised that this website does not have an area to showcase young programmers work, say in the 11 to 14 age range. After all, it would show the power of Darkbasic and also just how easy the program is to get good results. I find it hard to keep track of who is doing what and what program is out etc. I think there should be a special showcase for newcomers and young people...But that’s just my opinion.

Quote: "I was really interested in your post on getting into the industry but unfortunately over here in the U.K. there are hardly any companies left because there closing down or getting bought out."

Yes it is getting hard everywhere, which is why a lot of people are starting up their own teams and working as Indy’s or freelance (if they are good enough). But you can still sell your games or concepts IF they are well done and complete to game company’s.

I would say to you Code Monkey that you should not be put off, but instead, finish your program and pick up the phone and sound a few firms out.

You never know.
Secret Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 20:14
That is an okay game.....But I'm not really a fan of trading card-style games. I'm more of a shooter person.

No, just because I eat haggis does'nt mean I'm from Scotland!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 13:32:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 13:32:42