Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / You wanted to know what is being done - here it is...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 00:50
If it helps I can provide proof of purchase for both Dbpro and
Cshop.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 01:19
@The Coding Area- what is DEP?

@Mike Johnson,

Athlon64 bit problemo - what is eta for addressing this one? U5.3, 5.4, 5.5 or nearer U6 - dont worry, I can take it....
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 01:43
Quote: "P.S. I'd heard a rumour about 64 bit processor & WindowsXPHomeSP2 probs - are there any? will you be able to 'sort them' with U5.3?"

This is why there is Windows 64bit for Athlon64 Processors which is Free to download for anyone who purchases an Athlon64, available via the AMD site.

AMD's 64bit Processor differ slightly from the IA-32 definition, unlike the x86-32 which add to it. It's all to do with the way the processor processes; and unless compile with Microsoft Visual Studio w/Processor Pack or Codewarrior 8.0+

it'll affect your software when using any other Windows variations; there are software patches AMD released, but really Windows 64bit for Athlon64 is free... so really there isn't a reason NOT to be using it.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 01:48 Edited at: 15th Jun 2004 01:51
Quote: "The Coding Area- what is DEP"

Data Execution Protection - see Microsoft's web site for details.

Quote: "Windows 64bit for Athlon64 is free"

Unfortunately its not availiable yet, and wont be until either late this year or sometime next year. Mind you, that could be the general 64-bit version of Windows XP.

The place for great plug-ins and things.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the TCA way...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 04:39 Edited at: 15th Jun 2004 04:40
https://microsoft.order-9.com/winxp64/product.asp?catalog_name=MSTrialandEval&category_name=winxp64&product_id=winxp64&id=dl#

That link would beg to differ. It is only a 360day Free Trial 'technically' speaking; but as a new one is planned for release before then, i doubt it'll matter.

Anyone thinking 'yay! free windows' ... it ONLY works with the AMD Athlon64 Processor line.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 10:37
Cant seem to order either the CD or the downloadable version
Besides as its only a trial, I'll wait until the full version comes out...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 18:57
It is the full version ... it's just a time based trial, you want Microsoft to deactivate the Timer for it then you have to pay what you'd pay for Windows XP Home.
But as I've said 360days free windows and a new one will replace that so technically free.

It's not a Beta, it's not something you can't actually buy if you wanted to, it's just a free version for those who've just spend like £350 on an Athlon64 and actually want it to run perfectly.

I know you can't actually get to the order page cause you need to go in from a secure location, and for that you need the history
but it was just to show you that it is available and is free.
Has been for atleast the past year, even when everyone was telling me 'Oh Windows XP 64bit is ONLY for the Itanium Processors, Blah blah blah'

If you haven't got an Athlon64 then it's worthless, if you have then it's priceless.

Zenincanin 14
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 20:48
So, DBDN is going down.

Mostly known as CMC. TobyQuan is probablly Mental and Jimmy... Well, I just don't know.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 20:49
When DBDN goes down, do the dev diaries and other parts of DBDN appear immediately, or will it take some time?

Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 22:53
Quote: "It is the full version ... it's just a time based trial"

Fair enough - I'll wait though...

SpecTre1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 04:33

Good news guys!!!

Glad to see the book will be coming, this I have been waiting for from the start. Money well spent I think there!

One forum for all sounds good to me no DBDN now means everyone can benefit from the extra info and that means better products from the users in future as well!

IDE ??? Well I don't see a problem with it, I have been using the normal IDE from the start and find it very good, so well done for that guys!

Good to see all the points you have brought up are exactly what we all need and that means you are a company that listens and so I feel customer for life coming into the equation and Blitz3D goin out the window now !!!!

Good work guys and can't wait for the book, but don't make it too expensive please

New to DBPro comin from AMOS on the Amiga!
BHoltzman
Years of Service
User Offline
SpecTre, the books will be free. There will be two books, and it should help lot of people to finally understand how to use dbpro.
BHoltzman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 07:18 Edited at: 17th Jun 2004 07:19
Richard, Does this new activation scheme finally remove the cd check routine?
Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 19:51
Quote: "There will be two books, and it should help lot of people to finally understand how to use dbpro"

finally i will be able to make a proper 3d game

PC Spec- AMD Athlon 2.0Ghz, GeForce FX5200 128mb, 512MB of ram, Win XP Home SP1

Error 0 = no error - how is this an error the???
SpecTre1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 22:50
Yeah if you read into it, main part of books will be free to download but if you want the paper books with the extras you have to pay for them, which I am more than happy to do for the extras!!

When you think about it the books will be big !!! So will be worth the money but like I said hopefully not too much

What you think Rich??

SpecTre1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 22:52
Hmmmm forgot to mention Rich but will there be a new book when the extra commands come in from FPSC or will the book come after these???

Just a thought

BHoltzman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 23:17 Edited at: 17th Jun 2004 23:19
So what did Richard mean when he said this?

Quote: " Needless to say they will be free of charge and included in all Updates from there on. There is no timescale for completion of the book, as you can appreciate it is a VERY large task - over 1117 commands to document infact, but progress is steady and constant."

It's a little out of context, but I didn't want to post the whole message because it's a big message. Maybe the reference to a printed book a little earlier in Richards message ment it was a pdf format document?
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 19:04
The book is a printed book (as in, on paper). You will have to pay for it.

The book will contain the content of the new help files (which are in electronic format and free, they contain syntax, command info, parameter description, example) plus additional information about the command which will *not* be included in the help files, and will explain more about the inner working of the commands, additional examples and so on.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
BHoltzman
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Rob.

Do you know about the cd check? Will the need to activate future upgrades finally remove the cd check?
Dylnuge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 18:46
@MikeHart
Quote: "Great news, but this online activation thingy kills my use of DB Pro right there. My notebook where I develope on will never get an online connection. So I will dumb DB Pro. "

So I suppose that its too much effort to activate DBPro, but not too much to go online and post a message?

Tranzerk Technologies Current Project: Private Devolopment
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 19:23
you don't need the internet machine to be the one running DBP, I read that somewhere posted by Rich.

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.4 - w/VARIABLE WATCHER & CONSOLE! * Click Logo
Zenincanin 14
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 00:32
Come on! I want the newsletter.

Drums are a great responsibility... They aren't just for playing around with.
Dylnuge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 17:11
From the top:
Quote: "News: Read the DBPro WorkLog and download Betas over on the Developers Network site.
Issue 18 of the Newsletter will be released with DBPro Upgrade 5.4 (eta Saturday 26th)"

Add 6 months Its Sunday!

Tranzerk Technologies Current Project: Private Devolopment
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 06:00
Now this has been published in the newsletter I think its safe to de-sticky the thread. Is this OK with everyone?

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 20:11:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 20:11:25