Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 22:08
out of curiousity i just blatently copy and pasted the code to see exactly what it did before i tried to manipulating it but it seems that there is something missing or ive just overlooked something anyway this is the code thats bugging me

it keeps saying "could not determine parameter type"
i am pretty new to dbp so i suspect ive missed something but either way i need to know cos this is driving me crazy

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knowledge is power
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 18:01 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 00:36
Good start Shadow. Maybe make the names only appear when they are selected?

Quote: "Does anybody know how old Phaelax is? It look's like she died on us..."

HE is most certainly not dead and has been busy celebrating his 23rd whom none of his family remembered.

Another DB inconsistency. Works currently for me, I'm not sure what could be going on ther Seraphi, but try replacing the function with this instead and see what happens.

I've come across random situations where it doesn't like you to pass mouse functions as parameters directly into other functions. Not a clue why.

This tutorial started as a way to share the information I learned while trying to write my own RTS game. I haven't been to involved with DB for some time now and focus more on my Java work. The tutorial may get finished one day, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 02:41
OH sorry for not callling son, I was busy playing Half Life 2 with your brother. Nah, jk. Happy Birthday.

Fneep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 10:33
Quote: "Quote: "Does anybody know how old Phaelax is? It look's like she died on us..."

HE is most certainly not dead and has been busy celebrating his 23rd whom none of his family remembered."

Whoops. Well, I am sorry Phaelax, but 'Phaelax' reminds me of the colour purple, and most girls that I know's favorite colour is purple, so I attribute the colour purple to things feminine.
Anyway, I do hope that you would finish the tut, but nonetheless I salute you for effort! And quality! And Design! And pretty much everything else.

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 23:41
Why are you such a noob?

Quote: "
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 17:41

Posted: 28th Mar 2006 00:33
"
Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2006 06:00
Wait. Are you saying that making a valid post that has something to do with previous post, after 40 days is wrong, but making a pointless post like you just did criticizing someone 8 days after they post is acceptable?

I believe if the post is relevant, thats all that matters.

You really shouldn't be so critical of others.

Its like those guys who go around forums and make mindless post complaining about all the mindless post, or when someone asks a question they tell them to never post questions and just look up all the information in the documentation. Its just rather rediculous really.

the last sane human being in a world gone mad
Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 01:51
And so where's the value of your post, to say you dislike mindless posts?

P.S -
Quote: "Its just rather rediculous really."

It's spelled ridiculous
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 04:10
hey you two, don't make me take this belt off

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 04:49
Dear god no! He's gonna moon us, run away!

What things do you need finishing off for this tutorial? I could cobble it together depending on what it is you wanna do but it depends on how much work that gets thrown at me between now and may

Working on the Rts with the help of your great tutorial so I'll end up doing it sooner or later
Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 18:07
So what if you take your belt off? You can take me and my evil army of ICONS!

I'm that guy in the back. Teh LEADER!!!
Evil Booger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 02:23
Chenak, you might replace Phaelax. If you are do it quickly before he takes off his belt.

boogers will take over the world
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 19:08
replacement?! eh, if ya want to.

I think my next chapter as gonna be on attacking and automating character reactions.

FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, great tutorial!

Hah! Updated my sig now!

Check out my new game: Dawn of the War on the WIP board.
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 20:32
Meh I don't wanna replace, just help out a bit if ya don't have the time to do it
FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
After attacking, I would go onto building. Is there any chance that you will make a map editor for the game? And will you start to show how to make complex terrains?

Hah! Updated my sig now!

Check out my new game: Dawn of the War on the WIP board.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 19:29
complex terrains? Graphics are all up to you. You can use ground heights to find angles of slope and use different terrain textures to adjust speed at which characters can move, so its not always a constant pace.

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 11th Apr 2006 23:58
lol?

"Bug? That's a feature."
"Retreat? We're advancing in a different direction."
DarthRic
Years of Service
User Offline
bump
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 23:18
Why are you bumping a stickied thread?

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe) - 71%
Download the free version
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2006 10:52
Hahahahahaha

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2006 11:35
Try to only post if you have something valid to say or ask.

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 29th Apr 2006 05:30
Ok Cap'n. Will do.

"Bug? That's a feature."
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 10:22
Sorry about that.

I have something concerning RTS games. I was thinking of starting a new thread in Game Design and Theory, but what the heck, I'll ask it here.

What are some RTS features that you'd like to see implemented in a new DBPro RTS game? Basic features, maybe in the following catergories to keep it simple:
-Controls
-Resource collecting methods
-Unit commands
-Ideas for different base types

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 2nd May 2006 20:56
@ Xander
Hmm... Possibly, a campaign type story mode. Level editor. Style types. Land units, sea units, air units. Basic stuff like that if possible.

"Bug? That's a feature."
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 10:01
I like the medieval time period. Controls seem pretty standard among RTS games, aside from C&C which uses no peasants for building/repairing. Units can mine gold/ore/stone/etc. How much resources are used for each construction will take careful planning to keep things balanced. Best thing to do is just do what I did, look at existing RTS games and get ideas from those. Pick out what you like and dont like, then create your own to fill in the gaps. Note what works and what didn't among existing titles.

Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 18:16
Doesn't matter if its tanks, spaceships, knights, or cavemen. The game would play the same. Just add whatever graphics you want.

I love the Total Annihilation and Total Annihiilation: Kingdoms games. Some group just took the original TA and made it so if you own it, you can play it with 3D graphics.
http://taspring.clan-sy.com/

I mention this, since there is some source code to see how it was done.

They also mention they are trying to make it so that their game runs, without needing anything from the original 1997 release of Total Annihilation. Them coming over to DBP is unlikely though.

Still, looking through their source code might be helpful to figure out certain things.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2006 20:37
Probably the biggest thing you'll be able to get out of their source code is the AI. And gfx or terrain methods will have to be done quite differently in DB. Where did you get the source code, I cant find it.

Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2006 21:09
http://taspring.clan-sy.com/download.php
Quote: "
Source code
9.1mb, added 2006-02-27 This is the full source to TA Spring 0.70b3, released under the GPL. You can get the newest source through the TA Spring developer project at berlios.de
For building the code in windows, see this forum thread
"

They have many differant AIs people have made. Two of them recommended to me actually learn from each game, and becoming increasingly harder. They look at the stats of every unit and building, and then test out which units work best against which other types on their own. You can thus port these super AIs to any game.

AAI and NTAI are their names, and they function differantly.

If you want to read what Soldant told me about them, check out this link here http://s8.invisionfree.com/Game_Maker_forum/index.php?showtopic=1754 and scroll down to where he post about it. That topic was originally something else, but as always, we tend to random a lot over there.

I always blame the penguins.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 07:46
Wasn't intended for this tutorial, but it'd fit right in. I coded this as an answer for someone's question on the forum about building units from a barracks.

Should be commented enough to explain everything. I may at some point get around to officially typing this into the tutorial.

Press 's' or 't' to build a unit and watch the loading bars display the current build progress.

smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 15:10
very nice but can u add a way to stop the models overlapping, i mean when u select more then one unit and move them to another point it looks like u only have one unit when they stop.

life's one big game
spec= 2ghz, 1gb ram, 512mb gpu, directx 9.0c, dbpro and classic
McChief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 00:49
Great tutorials! I've been looking over them a bit but have yet to delve in and try to actually implement them. I've been wanted to start work on an simple RTS game for a long time, but really haven't known where to begin. These tuts are a completely great place to start. I'm sure I speak for a lot of DBP users out there when I say that your work is HUGELY appreciated!

Great job.

Question... Would it be difficult to implement a "free look" camera system? One that would rotate 180 degrees and would pivot 90 degrees up and down, with a zoom feature on the mousewheel.

Keep up the great work.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 01:02
Quote: " more then one unit and move them to another point it looks like u only have one unit when they stop."

You must have an older version, I've added unit formation. I think they'll still overlap when they walk, but they'll stop apart.

The camera wouldn't be difficult to implement at all. I just have the rotation locked at the moment. I *think* I have the mousewheel changing the pitch of the camera though.

McChief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 20:45
@ Phaelax

Cool. If you ever get a chance to implement a free look camera option or something that'd be great.

I look forward to the next installment of your tutorial!!! Awesome stuff.
Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 02:11
Phalex your're an absolute DBPRO legend! Am going to use this as a engine to build an RTS game. Any ideas on the next update?!

NO KEYBOARD DETECED - PRESS F11 TO CONTINUE - FOOKED BIOS
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 10:32
Though I'd let you know, due to DB Programmer's thread on rts unit creation and the sudden responses to this tutorial, I'll be writing another chapter in it over the next week. I'll also be doing a few bug fixes and optimizations, most recently in the pathfinding which should increase overall performance.

"Using Unix is the computing equivalent of listening only to music by David Cassidy" - Rob Pike
Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 11:29
Quote: "the sudden responses to this tutorial, I'll be writing another chapter"

Hmm.... someone register a few dozen accounts and post encouragements all day.

Seriously, you have 9,133 views for this post. We wouldn't all keep checking up everytime there was a reply if we weren't all seriously interested in this.

Remember, for every person who post, there are probably dozens more interested that just don't have anything to say. Of course, most people who don't have anything to say post as well, usually to complain about someone else who posted nonsense, thus the irony of all forums.

I was going to suggest you post a poll where everyone would vote if they wanted another chapter, just to show you how many people did, but I don't see any "post poll" button.

How about everyone who is interested in this, who hasn't posted yet, do so now? That'll keep you encouraged.

McChief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 09:12
That's great news! I look forward to seeing the next chapter...

IMHO RTS games are the most neglected of all major game types in DB Pro, so for me, it's great to see someone doing some awesome work in that genre.

Great work Phaelax!
Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 17:05
Phaelex how is the next chapter doing!

When can we expect it!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 18:59
Hopefully, by next week. I got 2 websites to finish this week, possibly a 3rd to start if this other guy decides to use me. Plus english papers to write. I'm reading over the tutorial to familiarize myself with it and remember where I left off. There's a problem with harvesting resources that I don't remember being there, so I want to fix that first. I'm trying to note in the tutorial any changes I've made to existing code.

"Using Unix is the computing equivalent of listening only to music by David Cassidy" - Rob Pike
Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 22:12
Excellent.

Shouldnt the resources gathered not add onto a global static value that

is increased by all workers.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 10:35
It could, if you want the gathered resources to be added immediately. I first have the number stored on the character until a certain limit is reached. It's then up to you to send the character to a depot to drop off the resources, which would at that point be added to the global variable as you stated.

Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 16:48
ahh clever, good point. Ok = when is your next chapter out! I need it !

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2006 00:33
- unit construction
- fow
- simple ai
- fighting

anything else?

Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2006 11:45
minimap?

Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2006 12:11
simple gui?

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2006 12:58
edit button?

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2006 19:05
Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2006 19:34
SOrry phaelax i didnt think of the edit button! When can we get the next installment! AHH! Cannot wait!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2006 21:49
I said sometime next week probably. I still have classes and papers to write, finals are in 2 weeks. I haven't slept in 24 hours, suppose to see xmen tonight at 10:30 and somehow get up for an 8am class saturday. nothing is getting done today, its nap time.

McChief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2006 23:48
Hi Phaelax,

I finally had time to play around with your tutorial and the included source code. Amazing work in a pretty short amount of time!

One thing I've noticed is if you select multiple units and send them somewhere they bunch together on top of each other, and there's no way to separate them (at least that I could figure out anyhow). Is there a way to keep at least a little distance between the units?

I think added a zoom feature with the mousewheel would be pretty cool too! Seems that our view is pretty tight, it’d be cool to zoom out to see more of the map. Maybe mousewheel down zooms in and mousewheel up zooms out or something…

Keep up the great work, and get some rest man.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 04:30:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 04:30:40