Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / [LOCKED] The Newcomers Guide To Creating First Person Shooters

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 05:15 Edited at: 25th Nov 2005 05:18
After a long wait Im glad to announce I've updated the tutorial with 2 more chapters, 1 covering the fixing of variables (credit to Antidote for pointing it out) and the other applies gravity to the game.

Now that I have a good basic engine working with the FPS I can start getting into the fun stuff like nade launchers, exploding enemies and chocolate bars that dance!

Sorry it took so long I had gotten back about a week ago but I was experimenting with different methods for gravity, trying to find the easiest one to grasp until finally coming up with a fairly efficient routine that utilises the jumping code and the ground intersection check we already have for minimal lag. It also has it's own physics since it uses the jumping code so it's pretty goodin my opinion.

Hope you like it, I haven't gotten to editing it yet I just finished it now and am very tired Ill look at it in the morning, I think it's understandable though, I don't recall making any spelling errors

As always c/c is encouraged, and any questions can go here or email them to me at ruccus@ruccus.net.

The link:
[href]
http://www.ruccus.net/Tutorial.htm[/href]

I've updated the Current Code page aswell incase you want to see how it is before doing the next chapters, Im running about a 700 Frame Rate on my comp at home with other programs running in the background, pretty good so far.

No new screens as I think it's kind of redundant, you can't very well see gravity

Enjoy
- RUCCUS

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 05:16
Oh and Im glad to say my grandfather is in perfect health and has had a complete recovery, turned out just to be a bad cold.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 05:34
Quote: "credit to Antidote for pointing it out"

Yay my life has a purpose.

Quote: " Oh and Im glad to say my grandfather is in perfect health and has had a complete recovery, turned out just to be a bad cold."

Good to hear.

gamesmad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 23:07
Im loving your tutorial, it has stepped me up with my confidence. Having played around with the included DBPro FPS tutorial I almost gave up hope, what with the inability to shoot more than 1 bullet at a time and the way the demo looked different when I played to the screenshots.

I will actually be able to make my own game with what I have learnt from your code, I would totally never have thought off the whole intersect thing.... Keep up the work, I want AI

Will

Team leader of Games Mad! and 3D designer, modeller and animator for Cyrain Studios.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 23:37 Edited at: 28th Nov 2005 23:39
Yikes, you might be waiting a while then for A.I...

Here's my layout for what I'll be covering chronologically (the first being the next one, the last one being the...last one)

- Inventory
- Weapons
- Equipment
- HUD
- Map Editor
- Saving
- Models
- Textures
- Effects (Barrle Flashes, Smoke, Explosions, etc.)
- A.I
- Animations
- Outside Effects (Skyboxes, Day/Night, Rain, Lightning, etc.)
- Sound
- Decals (Blood Stains, Bullet Holes)
- Particle Effects (Blood Spurts, Sparks, etc.)
- Interactive Objects (Doors, Barrels)
- Physics
- Vehicles
- Updating the Map Editor
- Converting to Functions
- Using Source Files
- Creaing events/triggers
- Adding a mission
- Adding a boss
- Winning/Losing

- Campaign Mode
- Level 1
- Level 2

- Quick Game
- Arena

- Multiplayer (Split Screen not Online )

- Starting Menu
- Loading Screen
- Beginning Movie
- Credits

- Last Minute Lag Reduction

- Packaging the program
- Final Notes

I wrote that out during math class today, I can see now this is beginning to get very big. I might change the order around as Im trying to make each subject lead into the next (eg Interactive Objects leads into Physics leads into Vehicles).

I don't think I'll have time this week for adding anything this weekend is a good possibilitity, who knows.

Other good knews is I've created some of the media for the tutorial including a nice map that I've tested against the collision system currently being used in the game and am glad to report it works perfectly as predicted, just need to add one thing, maybe Ill post some screens of the maps a little later.

Thanks for the comment Im glad it has helped you.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 17:59 Edited at: 29th Nov 2005 18:01
I know it's a wip, and i appreciate you making this tutorial, but i would like to point out that you can shoot the enemy through the wall...

also, although it's not that big of a deal, when you shoot 1000 bullets at the enemy his health goes down 999... (instead of the full 1000)

shouldn't you get basic bullets complete before starting on inventory?

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
gamesmad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 21:18
Ye, I noticed that issue, and maybe you should tackle saving before you make a map editor. Newayz, Im still loving it, Ill be willing to correct spelling etc if you like.

Will

Team leader of Games Mad! and 3D designer, modeller and animator for Cyrain Studios.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 21:38
The spelling isnt an issue these last two chapters are the only ones with major problems and thats because I havent gotten to editing.

I was going to incorperate the new shooting code in when I began the weapons section (I knew about the problems)

The map editor will introduce saving to files, I think it's easier to save simple XYS locations and rotations than learning to save location, rotation, ammo, health, current state, plus any other things like if there are objects to be obtained on the map and if so what ones, if any are missing, etc. Thus less to save in the map editor, atleast in the beginning version.

Halo Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Heres a bump, because this tutorial is great

Make great games with C++ and OpenGL!
C++ Tutorial: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial
OpenGL Tutorial: http://nehe.gamedev.net/lesson.asp?index=01
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 02:29
Soo....very...tired of writing...

I cant get back into the "mood" of writing the tutorial, kind of like a writers block I guess. I dunno whats wrong but this christmas break there will definitely be a new chapter or two...or three!

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 08:15
I spilled some glue...whoops.

Join Our Forums and get game updates faster!
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2005 00:08 Edited at: 27th Dec 2005 00:09
Thanks RP thats just the drive I needed to get back to work on the tutorial. Infact Im going to get to work right now!

Ne0
Years of Service
User Offline
howcome intersect object command crashes the program?
on every single game i have, if i put intersect object in, the program will close upon poen with no error messages.
I even tried copying & pastine the intersect object code from here into darkbasicpro and still the crash. anyone know why?

and, just so u ppl know, i posted this here cause this is the first time i had a practical use for it, other times were just fiddeling and stuff...

Great Tut BTW...

Some people know me as:
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 17:43
A few reasons...

1. Intersect Object only works with DBP, do you have DBC? That wouldnt make sense though because you would've just gotten an unknown command error or something alike...

2. It has nothing at alll to do with the intersection code so its somewhere else in your program

3. You havent ended your loop with the loop command

Theres a lot more possibilities, but without your code its hard to determine. You said you tried copying the code right from the tut, are you talking about the entire source code or just the intersection part?

If its just the intersection part, try using the entire code and seeing if it runs.

Also, try putting rem statements around the intersection parts, if the error still occurs you know it isn't that line.

Incase you haven't found it, here's the current code:

http://www.ruccus.net/Frameset-home.htm

Goodluck, if you're feeling iffy about posting your code on the forums for everyone to see it you could always email me it privately at [href]ruccus@ruccus.net[/href].

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 02:17
are you still working on the tutorial ?

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 03:55
Yes Ive been writing the next chapter and Im pretty far ahead, it will show you how to add multiple weapons, use arrays and functions and how to equip each weapon. Each weapon will also have seperate objects and attributes like damage, reload speed etc.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 02:11
I'm working on a codebase entry of several interesting code snippets of things you can use in FPS's like smoke generators and gun/turret pieces. Check for it in the next few days.

[bold]Bmaczero[/bold]
FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a bump for the tutorial. Great job so far, and I am awaiting the next section. I really like how this is working out to be such a great game so far.

Hey, I am a total noob to DBP, so if you would be kind enough to just help me along. I'm good with FPSC though, just learning DBP now.

swedish spoonbender
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 00:30
thank you so much for this tutorial. you've helped me on so many things that i couldn't do. i've been trying to make an fps for ages now but i just end up forgetting about it because of things like collision detection. but hopefully all that is about to change now i have a few tips to help me. THANK YOU RUCCUS!

I hate Mondays
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 00:32
Glad to hear it, I've been working my but off trying to finish a lot of chapters to make up for lost time so yes, if anyone was wondering I am still working on this thing

FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
Great! When do you think you will get to the map editor?

Hey, I am a total noob to DBP, so if you would be kind enough to just help me along. I'm good with FPSC though, just learning DBP now.

FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
Bump! I finally got to making my own editor. I have really made progress because of my skills with texturing and modeling. Great job for giving me a head start RUCCUS. I hope this tutorial was helpful to everyone.

Hah! Updated my sig now!

Check out my new game: Dawn of the War on the WIP board.
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 14:23
Was to me -

An absolute goldmine -

RUCCUS, you need a massive pat on the back.

And a shot of amphetamines to finish the tuts! (JOKE)

Bumpity-doo-dah-day

DAB Studios
groovy guy
Years of Service
User Offline
think your tutorials to make a FPS game are amazing. I have learned a real lot from them. but when are all the other tutorials coming?
Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it just me or is ruccus.net not loading for someone. This was an awsome tutorial, I NEED THE REST!
Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone anyone? Ive tried contacting ruccus but his email doesnt work even though I still see him active on the boards.
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 19:23
i have a question,for the shooting,why not use the camera's coordinates instead of the sphere objects?

all ben needs is his band,his guitar,and his computer
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 19:42 Edited at: 14th Apr 2006 18:30
@ The RUCCUS.net not loading problem, the sites currently down while I work on the new layout, it wont be up for a while.

@ Benny: There's no difference between using the cam coords or the object's, except in this case since we're using the object's coordinates more often and we've stored them in a variable it will reduce the amount of calculations needed to be carried out each loop. You can always switch it tot he cam coords if you feel it necassary (this would be understandable if your camera was moving around inside the object).

@ The tutorial being finished: I really dont know. Ive got so many things on my hands and I dont see them easing off anytime soon, also when Ive attempted to get back into the "tutorial writing" mode, I get a severe writers block You'd probably notice that in the last finished chapter.

Ill compress the tutorial into a rar and zip file and post it here until ruccus.net is up again, but Im not sure when that'll be.

really do want to finish the tutorial, but I just dont hae the time or will to do it at this time.

Tutorial download will be posted in the first post of this thread in a few minutes.

- RUC'

Eeyore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 22:33
Amazing tutorial
It's absolute for beginners (I am)
Thanks for your time spending on it.
Blitz the Hedgehog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 12:05
Wow, awesome tutorials RUCCUS, keep 'em coming! Oh, and any idea when www.ruccus.net will be back up? I can't wait
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 22:32
Should be back up before Easter Break is over, not sure if the final layout will be complete but the site itself will be up, along with a good chunk of helpful things for newcommers

musty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 14:28 Edited at: 14th Apr 2006 14:29
Hi, Ruccus and a big thank you for your time and effort. Do you plan uploading the tutorial (here) in zip form before the site is up?

"Ignorance is bliss." Cypher from the movie The Matrix
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 18:19
It is uploaded here... in the first post...

musty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 18:27
Ooooops. Thanx. I hope my stupid question helped other users who were desperately trying to find the link for download.
Pardon me? Aren't there others?
There should be a few more.Is it only me?
Well ...
Thanx anyway.

"Ignorance is bliss." Cypher from the movie The Matrix
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 18:30
Quote: "
Tutorial download will be posted in the first post of this thread in a few minutes.

- RUC'
"

mike ccc 987
Years of Service
User Offline
I know this post is old but ill give it a bump for good work

Beat
Up
Mary
Popins
Farooqaaa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 10:42
Great Post!

Can somebody give me the .exe file of this FPS plz?

Thanks

-----------------------
I will be a good Game Programmer soon!
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 14:25
Looking back, theres a lot of things wrong in the tut , maybe someday Ill fix her up again.

Projects: Online CTF Game | Newcommer's Guide to FPS's

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Farooqaaa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 22:56
Ok thats great!

Please also complete these:-

Dynamic Maps w/ Texture
Multiple Weapons
Basic A.I
Health Crates
Mission Objectives (Kill All Enemies...Kill Boss...Obtain Secret Object...etc. Simple)
FPS Engine (Map Editor) <-- Hopefully
------------------------------------------------

Thanks

-----------------------
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 00:53
Oh Ill get right on it . There's a reason I put the project aside, Im busy with other things sorry.

Projects: Online CTF Game | Newcommer's Guide to FPS's
Farooqaaa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 11:48
Ok complete your projects etc.. then do it when you are free

-----------------------
Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 19:48
So, does that mean this will be finished someday?

Stay calm and keep a cool head
Redviper 15
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 15:15
Great tut Ruccus keep 'em coming, they're really helping
Edgel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 17:39
Really helpful stuff Ruccus... thanks a LOT.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Good Information

Enjoy your day.
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 02:23
This tutorial is great. Really helpful stuff.

Confucius Say...
smhillis
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried downloading the tut file but its a .rar file. I dont know what that is or how to open it.
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 14:59 Edited at: 28th Oct 2006 14:59
The tut is in a .zip, not .rar. Were you downloading from the first page?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=597904

When is ruccus.net going to be back up? It's been several months now, so I took this tutorial further and made my own FPS minigame.

Confucius Say...
smhillis
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the link code dragon.

I was trying to download from page 4.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 03:45
this is worth a sticky, perhaps we need a tutorial board within this forum that the best tutes get sent to once completed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 01:59:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 01:59:25