Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / [STICKY] Level Design Theory:Tutorial/Tips

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 01:49
Well-Written stuff.

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 11:52
Thanks

Any requests? (No, I don't do songs.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 13:17
Great read .

If your stuck for your next feature, maybe go over some atmospheric tips, like level design methods to induce a desired emotion, like fear.

For example, I know that you can't just make a scene scary by covering it in blood or overloading it with enemies - you have to be smarter than that. I find graffiti textures and evidence of people being there before (trash, old food, dirty blankets) can be really creepy and help to make the player feel uneasy about what's gonna happen next.

Some tips on those sorts of design features would be appreciated (I plan to start a survival horror game later in the year).

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 10:46
Very Nice read, Tinker!

Ever thought of submitting all that ( and whatever else you come up with ) to GameDev.net? I'm sure they'd be happy to take it

Thanks.

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 23:11
Sure, I guess I will submit all that level information I posted. I'll do it now.

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 00:02
Um, pardon? What level information? When did you post it? I'm quite confused.

PS. Thanks Jess, though, I don't think my posts are quite ready for GameDev. There's no proper theme to link them.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 14:57 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2006 02:49
Tinkergirl, this is great stuff. I found each one useful and interesting. I think you've given Game Design Theory a real purpose.

You and Megaton should co-author a book. It would sell.

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 15:19
hey tinkergirl

I liked you tutorials soo much I decided to select the bits of it that are relevent to my project and put the into a word doc and print them off for reference.

Thanks for these man they are really helpfull aswell as very detailed well done

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 20:39
Quote: "I find graffiti textures and evidence of people being there before (trash, old food, dirty blankets) can be really creepy and help to make the player feel uneasy about what's gonna happen next"

I know this isnt realy level related, but stacking boxes, then have like an AI player (when you enter the room) nock them over while he runs out, if you do it right it will scare the pants off you.

If you want a game to show you how to make a scary game, i suggest F.E.A.R or (if you have an xbox360) Condemned. They freak will you out.

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 18:43
I've only just encountered this thread. I have to say, major kudos to Tinker, its one of the most informative threads that I've ever read.

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
Quote of the week: "... I started learning DBP while I was a Satellite Network Controller for the US Army Space Command ... "
reflective genius
Years of Service
User Offline
wow! great stuff tinkergirl, a very interesting read, your tips are very helpful and you have just inspired me loads!!

Keep up the great work I look forward to reading your next tutorial!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 04:55
wow, very good ideas, I've never taken the time to look at them before, but I'm glad I did . Great tips, keep writing!

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 03:44
OH Tinkergirl, I forgot, it was a joke, umm.. me impersonating you... Nevermind.

"Bug? That's a feature."
"Retreat? We're advancing in a different direction."
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 01:44
ahh yes, what a great tutorial again!

I agree with van b. Im in the planning and media scrounging stages of makeing a horror game. Most of my game will be based inside a scary building and I dont want it to get redundant or lame. I will have levels in the garden, the front yard, catacombs, cellar, roof maybe ect as to not always make the player be inside, but im still at a a loss for a real scary things and interesting level design ideas for a scary house!

formerly KrazyJimmy

I'm the lizard king, I can do anything.
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 01:11 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 01:13
The Scary Tutorial

There's been talk of horror/scary games, and how to really scare the pants off your players - well, remembering that I've not personally made a horror game myself (despite knowing people who have) I'll do my best to give some hints and tips for designing a scary level/environment.

Tone
The tone you're setting is all pervasive - there are many kinds of fear and you should pick one or two to focus on. Fear of being alone? Fear of pain? Fear of the dark? Fear of the monsters in the cupboard? There are more fears than I can go into here, (just do a search for phobias to find just how amazing the breadth of fears can be) but there are two that are my favourites - they're fairly universal;

Fear of the unknown.
Fear of pain.

To have the unknown, you should have something to contrast it with - the 'known'. This usually means setting your levels in familiar places or situations, and then doing something unexpected with them. It's been done before - Silent Hill is set in 'random small town', Resident Evils are set in 'generic city' and I've lost count of the American small towns that have featured in horror films in the last few years. But please, don't feel you have to limit yourself to these places - familiar situations can be as useful here as familiar places - going to school, going on holiday (to the beach?), being bullied/teased, or being embarassed by a parent are very common situations that can get your player to connect.

And that's what your aim is - to get the player to connect, and empathise with what's going on.

So! Enough theory, let's talk nitty gritty.

Game Example: "Resident Hill"

Main Character: Male or Female, the main character should be an 'everyman' - not the school sports hero, not the super-genius geek, or possibly not even the prom queen. Someone you can identify with. You may want to go the route of not exploring much of the character's background, so that the player has fewer 'disconnects' - such as, they might like brocolli, and if your player hates brocolli, then that's a jarring moment. However, you may take the other approach and pepper them with several background traits to help the player identify with them - if they think "Hey, I like brocolli too!", then they're easier to identify with.

Example scene: The Train Station.

Concept Photo 1
Concept Photo 2
Concept Photo 3
Concept Photo 4

What: Earlier in the game, the player was faced with the train station as a bustling hive of human activity - trains coming and going and the player's character arriving in the city looking out of the window on "Just Another Day". But now, on returing to the station it seems perfectly, chillingly empty.
Why: Why the player is there is not important - you can put any number of reasons the player must be there - they're following a trail of dropped sweeties (candies to the non-UKers), they're trying to trace a tearstained letter, they've left their luggage... Many reasons.
How: The echoing vastness of a train station, a place that SHOULD be filled with human beings, should put the player on alert. Link in a few unnerving mechanics and you're sorted for a very unnerving setting:
--All of the departure boards are blank.
--All of the TV's show white noise.
--Occasional movement on the edge of the player's vision (use the angle of the camera) that dissapears when they look.
--A distant, but obvious goal that they must move towards - a single stationary train, the main departure area, etc.
--A red dress in a shop window, beautiful and vibrant - but when you look again, it's gone.
--The PA system occasionally crackles, repeating badly garbled automated messages with sinister double meanings. "Do not leave *crackle*ge unnatended..." "This is *whine-a* no *crackle-oking* zone..."
--When the player gets to the main departure area, have all the departure boards jump into life, showing just one train departing on all boards - one train, one platform, no time. Have them change noisily, a contrast to the quiet.

Why It Works:
This is a normal place, a normal situation, gone strangely wrong. We've all been to a train station, we know what happens there - but it is a place unnatural now. There aren't the people, the noise, the bustle and life. And that unnerves the player.
The quiet is important - but more important is the occasional noises/sounds that just make the silence bigger. Pure silence is boring - having occasional sounds (big, echo-y sounds) makes it more interesting and unnerving. That's why a dripping tap makes a place seem more deserted than just silence. Sound will be massivly important in a scary game.
The distant, obvious goal - important because you want the player to know where they're going, but dread every step. It's that old situation where you don't want to open the door, but you know you have to. That moment, when their hand is on the doorhandle and they're frozen between having to open the door for their own sake, and being afraid to see what will happen next, is pure gold. Aim for it.

How to change it:
Train Station not your thing? That's fine. If you're going for a unnerving kind of fear, then any relatively 'normal' scene will work.
The Old:
--Graveyards: Cliched to death (har har), not a 'normal' place to go, but associated with death.
--Crypts: Again, done too much, but couples your death theme with claustrophobia.
--Bathrooms: A horror film favourite. What's behind the shower curtain!? Does anyone care anymore?
--Basements: A bit US-centric (many of us don't have basements) but musty and claustrophobic again.
--Lofts: Familiar but musty again. These all connect to childhood fears of exploring the scary bits of houses.
--Hospitals: Death, pain, fear of doctors (and the food!). Silent Hill 'ownz' hospitals.
--Mental Asylums: The 'leprosy' of the modern world, we fear madness more than disease. But not every crazy wants an axe.
The New:
--Swimming Pools: The echos, the changing rooms (bathroom-variant), the odd lighting, the fear of drowning.
--Schools: (Ok, not THAT new.) The familiar layout but without the normal life (beware of showing children - it's considered tasteless).
--Office Buildings: Ok, usually I'd NEVER recommend offices (so DULL!) but they are good for horror. Usually lively, but creepy at night.
--Theatres: Large areas where everything isn't as it seems. Without the lights and drama, it's a strange place - like a sleeping clown.
--Shopping Centres: Done once or twice in films now, but the false tinsel of shops quickly becomes unnerving without living people.
--Ruined Power Plant: (Or factory.) A factory itself isnt very scary, but a broken one gives more of a shiver - why did it close??
--Parent's Bedroom: The forbidden room to many children. Conversely, the childrens bedroom can be creepy - all those toys and dolls...

What to avoid:
Buckets of blood EVERYWHERE! Like someone took a firehose, filled it with brilliant red claret blood and almost re-decorated. It's old, it's tired, it's not particularly scary. We've all seen so much blood in games now that it's not scary - it's almost familiar and comfortable. "Whew - it's only blood." Is not the emotion you're looking for.
Neverending zombies in groups of 5 walking in the main doors towards you. "*sigh* Not more zombies, ok where's the shotgun..." Again, not what you're aiming for. Our theme is fear of the unknown - and default zombies walking towards you from the most obvious entry point, in obvious patterns is not going to cut it. Undead carnage is not scary.
Little girls. Ok, I'm loath to mention this but Japanese horror (and US remakes), and F.E.A.R. have done the "little scary girl" thing to death (har har). Unless you really think you can do something new with it - don't do it at all. Do be aware of why it became such a cliche though - a cute, innocent entity that should be full of life and love, but is instead an evil horrifying force. Doesn't hurt that many boys are scared of girls anyway

A few last tips:
Lighting: Keep it muted and 'realistic' to help the player identify. Greys, blues and browns will be your usual pallete. Certain greens can work for a feeling of illness, but too vibrant and it can signify life/spring. Use red very sparingly. Consider using bright colours only in 'flashbacks' or intro sequences.
Don't dress your characters in combat fatigues or skimpy bikini's - an over protected/prepared character wont seem vulnerable, and a stupidly dressed character will seem idiotic and with no hope of survival. Studies found that people prefered to pick characters with sensible, non-attention grabbing clothes - they wanted to blend in, and not be a target - it's a defence mechanism.
The 'unknown' is scarier than a big hairy monster. The masters of horror from the black and white years knew this (and couldn't make good monsters anyway) and their films benefited. Don't feel you have to have a big slavering creature to scare.

And finally -
There is nothing scarier than that which the player's imagination creates for them.

No graphics you produce can equal it, no voice-over you record can vocalise it - admit that the only person who knows how to push the players buttons is the player. You just have to help them do it - let their imaginations run amok with just the right prods and they'll be hiding behind the computer chair in no time.
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 01:26
And heck, sorry - I should have said earlier, thank you everyone who's posted such nice things about the tutorials so far. It makes me very happy to know they've been of some use to people

Ta everyone.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 05:57
Quote: "Little girls. Ok, I'm loath to mention this but Japanese horror (and US remakes), and F.E.A.R. have done the "little scary girl" thing to death (har har). Unless you really think you can do something new with it - don't do it at all. "

I second that! I'm utterly sick of it myself. And references to 'dark water' and the 'water in the dark beyond'.

Quote: "What to avoid:
Buckets of blood EVERYWHERE! Like someone took a firehose, filled it with brilliant red claret blood and almost re-decorated. It's old, it's tired, it's not particularly scary. We've all seen so much blood in games now that it's not scary - it's almost familiar and comfortable. "Whew - it's only blood." Is not the emotion you're looking for. "

I think that an exception might be going from eerie clean and quiet to a contrasting scene of gore. If it's unexpected and out of place, it could be quite scary, especially if the player's life were suddenly in danger. Say, you walked into a room and the lights were out. You hear some spooky sounds, and while it makes you uneasy you don't think anything is particularly out of the ordinary. Finally, you manage to turn the lights on. To your shock and horror, the rooms is filled with dead bodies and gore.

Come see the WIP!
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 12:13 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 12:13
ooo nice tut there. By the way... there's a little girl behind you with a large knife about to cut your head off ... ok maybe not . again nice tutorials!

a flight simulator game tutorial might be good, like the Rogue Squadron games. Rogue Squadron rocks!!(well the first one anyway haven't played the newer versions that much)
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 00:43
Quote: "By the way... there's a little girl behind you with a large knife about to cut your head off "

What, another one? *sighs* That's the third one today. I should put a sign up, or something.

Quote: "a flight simulator game tutorial might be good, like the Rogue Squadron games"

Now, do you really want a tutorial for designing missions for a game like that, or have you already played that game so much that you deep down know what a good Rogue Squadron mission would be?

Quote: "I think that an exception might be going from eerie clean and quiet to a contrasting scene of gore. If it's unexpected and out of place, it could be quite scary"

I agree, and I really should have qualified my entire post with "there are always exceptions". As you can imagine I was trying to prevent the situation where someone making a 'horror' game just adds red blood splats to all of the game textures and calls it a day. In reality, anything can be scary, and anything can be un-scary.

Daisies can be scary: The calling card of a brutal murderer, the sign that the ghost approaches are daisies magically growing on the floor, or even the hollow voice in the shadowy places singing "She loves me, she loves me not..."

Mutated dogs can be un-scary: The poor reincarnated corpse of your loyal childhood pet, the magically animated badly torn cuddly toy your sister was never without (that whimperingly tries to lead you to find her), or even the cancer-ridden police dog that dragged you out of the explosion radius before gasping its last breath.

Feel free to take what I say as a guide, but please don't take it as law. There's no-one that can tell you how to make your game exclusively, only opinions and experience. Game making is excitingly new, still
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 05:02
Look to Steven King and those other great horror guys for scary... They use very little blood. And I find rooms full of corpses more gross than scary. One of the scariest games in my opinion is half life 2, as it just feels a little too real for comfort, visually as well as story wise. I had to stop playing a few times simply because I could grasp all to well what city seventeen was like. Not enough of today’s horror games are believable. I mean cities full of zombies? Come on...
I’m sure many would disagree with me that half life 2 was really scary, but my imagination is a bit broader than most peoples… I can get really sucked into something…

Quote: "This is a normal place, a normal situation, gone strangely wrong."

Yes. I have never played a game, watched a movie, or read a book that was actually scared me unless it was that. Once again, awesome tutorial.

Personally, I'd love a tutorial for adventure games. Or puzzle games. Either would be great, but I'm much more in the dark with adventure games.

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 12:58
the last time i played any of the rogue squadrons was like 2 or 3 years ago. but adventure sounds good too.

Quote: "Personally, I'd love a tutorial for adventure games. Or puzzle games. Either would be great, but I'm much more in the dark with adventure games."

Ya you really know how to make puzzle games. blockverse was great!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 17:24
Tinkergirl, your tutorials are all so fabulous. You should write a book. You're just about the only reason I check Game Design Theory. Most other posts are about zombies with lazzer eyes and "Howw do Iii recereateaete this imbossible thinggy in meh gamee dat ill nevvver rite anyhoww?"

Come see the WIP!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 23:46
yeah, great tutorial! i'm sure i'll use it if i ever make a horror game, or even a game with a horror "scene"

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 16:45
Not sure you mentioned this, but... playing with lights can scare a lot. For example, your moving through a narrow corridor, and ind the middle of it, lights go off. The player would be somewhat scare not because he can't see, bu we wouldn't know where the enemy may come from, either the front or the back. This would unease the player.
A tip when making dark zones is not allow the player to see his own weapon. Most games ignore this and turn out quite not realistic, as in a dark room, you won't be able to see your hand even if its in front of you.

Another thing that might work for scare the player is showing an unconstant-scan radar (or however they're called). I found this out when laying Alien vs Predator as a human. Had to avoid looking at the radar, because it detected lots of things moving around. Of course, if it says that there are 4 enemies around you, and you can see them... its no big deal... however, put the player in a situation in which its dark and can hardly see beyond 20m, and suddenly the radar picks an something right in front of you, and its getting near... 30m...20m...15m... 10m... and.... you cant see it! Start looking to the cealing, everywhere, and not being able to pinpoint it. Then, all of a sudden, the radar stops picking that signal. "What was it? and where it go?....", now that will surely unease the player, as it won't know and not know where it is...

That sure scared me quite some time. If the player is able to see the enemy, and fight it, it'll stop being afraid..."There you are!!, have a taste of my all-purpose shotgun you freak". Even if the player can't fight it, most of time it wont be scare..."Where your hidding, (loads the ultra rocket launcher), come out ... let me show you something...", specially if the enemy lurking around is a common enemy seen by the player... "nhaaa, just that freak again... changing to hand to hand combat... no worries.."
Surprising the player also works, like opening a door, and suddenly an enemy jumps right at you. However after some time, th player will get used to expecting something, and so even if they get attacked they'd say something like..."ahh man, there goes 20hp... eat this!!!" . But (as stated above by tinkergirl), show a quick movement of "something", even if it attacks the player, don't allow them to see it and use some sound telling the player that its nearby (a breathing from both the player and the monster, or just a growl...).

Well, thats something... great tutorials tinkergirl.

Quote: "You should write a book"

You really should, before someone steals your ideas. Never seen anything aiming at this kind of info.
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 17:50 Edited at: 26th Apr 2006 22:10
Nice points there, Zergei - I agree wholeheartedly with your general theme. You're changing the situation the player is in - from them being in control (bright lights, radar, and a shotgun) to being somewhat helpless (murky light, radar blind, unarmed/low ammo).

Empowerment is for FPSs, disempowerment for horror. I possibly touched on this when describing the look of the character, but you've expanded nicely on it.

Aliens did very nicely to conceal the Alien from the characters (and the viewer) for a long time with a good build up. Part of this of course could be because moving a Geiger Alien model around would be a massive special effects shot (and they're expensive), but they put it to good use.

Also, with your mentioning of lighting (as well as CCII's mention of creative use of lighting too) reminded me that moving lights (lights through fans, etc) creates movement that can initially startle the player - and eventually lull them into a false sense of security.

Mind you, any movement can be used for this - clothes in the breeze, a door banging in the wind, a wind up childs toy, etc. All movement that can startle the player, but later provide 'cover' for actual enemies.

Anyway - I'm very pleased to see others putting in their tuppences - you're all coming up with good ideas, and getting the old grey matter working

[edit to avoid double-posting]
Quote: "Personally, I'd love a tutorial for adventure games. Or puzzle games. Either would be great, but I'm much more in the dark with adventure games."

Bizar Guy, do you mean action-adventure games (a la Tomb Raider etc) or actual adventure games (a la Monkey Island or Myst)? They're different beasties, but I'd have thought the demand for pure adventure game tutorials would be quite thin?
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 23:07
Eternal Darkness did some good things with the background scenery. Paintings in the mansion would, over the course of the game, change to depict tortured landscapes painted in blood and such. In one level set during war times, war type posters initially displayed uplifting messages to boost solder morale, but changed into images of corpses and such

It also had the whole insanity meter thing, but you wouldn't want to copy that really as you'd look too much like ripping them off unless you can do something original with it... but it was pretty freaky playing while you go slowly insane =D fun times!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 23:12
Actual adventure games. I'm very interested in adding a lot of adventuring to a bunch of my future games, but it seems like it would be very easy to make the puzzles far too easy or mind boggolingly hard... I'd love to know how to really make a good adventure... I'm also really not sure how I should detail the enviorments, like what should I draw attention to, and should I make every nook and crany interesting... All of it really. I only have the vaugest ideas of where to begin...

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2006 21:48
Quote: "How: The echoing vastness of a train station, a place that SHOULD be filled with human beings, should put the player on alert. Link in a few unnerving mechanics and you're sorted for a very unnerving setting:
--All of the departure boards are blank.
--All of the TV's show white noise.
--Occasional movement on the edge of the player's vision (use the angle of the camera) that dissapears when they look.
--A distant, but obvious goal that they must move towards - a single stationary train, the main departure area, etc.
--A red dress in a shop window, beautiful and vibrant - but when you look again, it's gone.
--The PA system occasionally crackles, repeating badly garbled automated messages with sinister double meanings. "Do not leave *crackle*ge unnatended..." "This is *whine-a* no *crackle-oking* zone..."
--When the player gets to the main departure area, have all the departure boards jump into life, showing just one train departing on all boards - one train, one platform, no time. Have them change noisily, a contrast to the quiet."

That really sounds quite cool... one of these days I've gotta make a horror game, there's a real shortage of spooky fare written in dbp. My main problem is a severe lack of any modeling talent to speak of

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 22:42
Awesome work

i'll be checking here often

Theme park simulator wip boards
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 11:36
Quote: " Tinkergirl, your tutorials are all so fabulous. You should write a book"

Agreed, Tinkers posts are vital reading for anyone who's ever struggled for ideas. Thanks for posting that, I have a better vision of how I want my project to be now - it'll be much more cerebral I think, sadly I'll probably rip-off SAW for a lot of puzzle ideas, but I'm sure I can think of some original and sick puzzles too .

Aegrescit medendo
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 09:13
Some puzzle games are awesome like timed ones e.t.c

Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 23:36
Some very nice tips here Tinkergirl. Looking forward to some more.

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 09:40
Great job Tinkergirl, I'm sure this will help out a lot of programmers who ran out of creativity

I know that I will need some new ideas for levels for my new RTS, I want to make the maps unique, and am still thinking of more ways to do that.

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 16:17 Edited at: 1st Jun 2006 17:20
A Puzzling Adventure.
(Or, Myst-like Puzzle Tips)

For games like Myst, the earlier difference I pointed out between a puzzle and a mechanic, melts into bad terminology - because puzzles ARE the mechanics. So here, I'm going to start off with a look at the various things that make up a puzzle in a Myst-like, and what we can do with them.

The Anatomy Of A Puzzle

Geography - Actually being in the right place in your world to find the puzzle. You can hide it in a cupboard somewhere, under a table, or on the scales of a fish. 0bfu5cat1ng*/hiding can work with any puzzle, but it is not particularly rewarding unless the player is given clues that a puzzle actually exists.

Discovery - Working out that what you're faced with IS a puzzle. You might be stood next to the lift buttons, but you may not realise there's a puzzle to them, and just think they're broken. Harder to hide from the player, and leads to quite a lot of confusion - but can be rewarding. This can be used as an alternative form of 0bfu5c4t1on - hiding in plain sight.

Goal Setting - So, it's a puzzle, and we've found it. Now - what's the goal? This should be, in most puzzles, quite obvious. Usually you want to let the player know "If you win, you get this:" whether that is access to a new room, the puzzle piece they want or the battery to save their robot's life. Puzzling without a goal is not usually fun.

Rule Learning - Ok, we know what we have to do - what tools do we have at our disposal? Working out the rules of the puzzle (and they all have rules) can often be one of the more fun parts to a puzzle. Finding out that using blue dust makes the plants grow bigger, but that green dust has random effects, is where your classic "Explorer" type gamers will thank you. Make it consistant and they'll be happy. This may involve the 'meat' of your puzzle time.

Solving - You've found the puzzle, you know what you want to do - and you know how you can do it. This last part is the actual solving and completion of the puzzle - putting everything else into place. This will probably be quite a brief stage, but it should be satisfying. Give a good payoff - win noises, graphical effects or compliments from annoying alien sidekicks are good here.

As you can see, there are ways to string out a relatively simple puzzle - either by hiding it or making the goal less obvious. I'd advise that unless you've decided that the style of your game is to have 'Hiding Puzzles' as a mechanic, then try to avoid arbitrarily putting wallsafes behind washingmachines. Which brings me to puzzle wrappers in context.

Puzzle Wrapping - Making Context Work

Wrapping is taking the basic mechanics of your puzzle, and placing it in the world in such a way that it makes sense in the world. Now, if you are the game designer, you can make this easier on yourself. Setting a game in a dreamworld, or a fantastically surreal environment will let you 'get away' with lots of crazy puzzles - but at the expense of the players suspension of disbelief. Here's some examples of a simple puzzle, and the contexts it could be put in:

Fantasy Odd One Out: (easy - there's magic to excuse stuff)
A mighty pedestal rotates before you in the great and mysterious tomb - you are faced with a collection of brightly coloured scarab pendants and the hiroplyphics read "Find the Infiltrator, it will be your friend. Break up a familiy, and it will be your end!" One of the scarabs is the odd one out (with colours and patterns - think Mensa test).

Sci-Fi Odd One Out: (mysterious science can be as handy as magic)
The door is locked and the alien script is unintelligable to you - every time you press one of the buttons, they all change. Slowly you realise that out of the 10 there, one is always the same - pressing it, and the door opens to the engine chamber...

Modern Odd One Out: (hard to think of)
The man eyes you suspiciously, shows you the 'quality merchandise' that he's obviously stolen. Your informant told you there'd be one piece that was real - and the rest are just fakes. Better pick the right one if you're to 'prove' your worth as a fence.

As you can see - setting can be very important for your Myst-like adventure games. Myst-likes are traditionally a bit 'gamey' - and players often forgive and almost expect that situations that would just seem a bit odd arise in their games. They do, however, expect certain rules to be adhered to, and if you break those rules, they will be annoyed.

General Vs Topical

Puzzles are a test, and just as if you were suddenly tested on Rocket Science at your French Speaking Test, you'd be very annoyed - so too players have an expectation on what you will 'test' them on. For example:

Bad Puzzle: Odd One Out - 4, 8, 12, 15, 16, 23, 42
Answer - 12, the rest are the LOST numbers.

Good Puzzle: Odd One Out - 4, 8, 15, 64, 128, 512
Answer - 15, the rest are powers of two.

Here, the player understands that basic mathematics is something that they may be tested on - not topical knowledge of a TV program. Of course, if your game is about LOST, or TV trivia - then the above puzzles should be reversed.

Some of the things that your average puzzle player can expect:

Basic mathematics: Adding, subtraction, multiplication, division, number sequences, etc.
Word puzzles: Code cracking, mixed up sentences, basic reading, etc.
Simple logic: Odd ones out, matching, AND/OR logic (sufficiently hidden), group logic, building, combinations etc.

You may choose to add to this depending on your setting and/or gametype, like in the LOST example above.

Variable Difficulties

You can make later playtesting and balancing much easier on yourself at the puzzle choosing stage by picking puzzles that can be balanced easily. For example - a timed 'wobbly wire' task can be made more or less wobbly, and the timer changed, and 'lives' given. Whereas something like an odd one out puzzle is either hard or easy, and balancing it later is going to be a pain to do. Try to give yourself several different balancing variables that you can tweak later.

Tested on Animals

Finally though, please remember to test your puzzles on the uninitiated, because it's all too easy to forget what it's like to see it 'fresh'.
As an example, on a game I was working on once, there was a puzzle with four switches in a row. If you pressed a switch, it and it's two neighbours would toggle their lit state and the aim was to get them all ON. Now, that sounds like a very simple puzzle - and indeed it was set up so that you could complete it in three presses - just three. There were people who would look at it, blank out and start randomly pressing buttons in the hope that they'd chance apon the solution.
Blindingly simple - if you know what to do.

I hope that helps. Thanks again for the nice comments about the other tips so far - you've actually got me considering writing a short book/let on various game/level design aspects. We'll see though - I like posting in this thread too

*For some reason, the word "ob-fu-sc-at-e" causes any post with it in to be unable to be posted, this confuses me greatly.
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 20:10 Edited at: 1st Jun 2006 20:12
I think it may be a four letter word beginning with 's' located inside that word that is causing a filter thing to block the post perhaps?

Quote: "Good Puzzle: Odd One Out - 4, 8, 15, 64, 128, 512
Answer - 15, the rest are powers of two."

They're also all even numbers, which makes this puzzle pretty easy for the wrong reasons

These tips be good not just for games which are heavily reliant on puzzles but any game which might have puzzles more as sidetracks (Res Evil kind of stuff?)!

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 20:44
cool

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 21:04
Quote: "[quote]Quote: "Good Puzzle: Odd One Out - 4, 8, 15, 64, 128, 512
Answer - 15, the rest are powers of two.""

They're also all even numbers, which makes this puzzle pretty easy for the wrong reasons [/quote]

Ahem yes! And that, ladies and gentlemen is why you always get people to playtest your puzzles.

I see now, but I didn't think that was a filterable word here. Oh well - you live and learn. It sure confused me for ages, and I had to use binary search to work out what it was choking on!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 21:10 Edited at: 1st Jun 2006 21:10
obfuscate!

Yup, must be a swear filter, I can swear 'cos I'm a mod .

Aegrescit medendo
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 04:30
Thanks for that. I'd seriously buy a book of all this if you made it look good and each one had one of those nice diagrams you make. I mean, this is the kind of stuff people should know right off the bat so they don't have to rediscover it. If I had known some of this stuff from the beggining, I would have been able to develop quite a number of games a lot faster! As it is, I'm going to be changing some of the dinamics I've planned for BlockVerse2 to make it more dynamic, and keep it completely as a puzzle.

I buy books with this kind of stuff in it only for drawing, I don't see why there shouldn't be one for game making.

Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 04:36
Well, I just spent ages writing a reply of a good few paragraphs, but (rather stupidly) I forgot that the first word I wrote was ob-fus-ca-te. I'll never test stuff like that again...

Anyway, the gist was that those tips were incredibly useful. Thanks.

Quote: "you've actually got me considering writing a short book/let on various game/level design aspects."

I'd buy it.

Fjope
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 02:52 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 11:10
Quote: "
Tested on Animals

Finally though, please remember to test your puzzles on the uninitiated, because it's all too easy to forget what it's like to see it 'fresh'.
As an example, on a game I was working on once, there was a puzzle with four switches in a row. If you pressed a switch, it and it's two neighbours would toggle their lit state and the aim was to get them all ON. Now, that sounds like a very simple puzzle - and indeed it was set up so that you could complete it in three presses - just three. There were people who would look at it, blank out and start randomly pressing buttons in the hope that they'd chance apon the solution.
Blindingly simple - if you know what to do.
"

Another thing is to be careful of things that people automaticly asociate(SP?) with each other. For instance: In KotOR (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) you find alien trapped in a shiny prison cylindar thingy and he tells you to flip some switches on the opposite wall to let him out. The problem I had with this is that the switches change from red to green and even though he tells you to turn them all red I assumed that green would release him and red would kill hime, but it was the other way round and I ended up with dark side points!

Now I don't really have a problem with the way they made this puzzle as I failed because I didn't listen closely enough, which is fine. What I didn't like was that I was trying to play as a light side jedi and I recived dark side point's without trying to. Which felt kinda like I was being punished for an accident that happend because I automaticly supposed that green was go and red was stop. I felt kinda cheeted.

It was my fault that I killed him I just think that it should have been more difficult to accidently kill him; perhaps a chance to kill him after I let him out, or maybe a diffrent switch, with turning the buttons to the wrong color just injuring him (repeatedly would kill him) or sounding an alarm? I'm just trying to say that it is important to give the player a second chance so they don't start to say things like, "What the ficken heck!? Why'ed he die? this game is soooo cheep! I just realized that gamers are an awful spoilt lot.

An excellent set of tutorials by the way, Tinker Girl.

Cheers

Fjope
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 03:17 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 11:10
Nevermind.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 15:45
green was for go... but the sith think go means kill

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Fjope
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 16:28 Edited at: 12th Jun 2006 16:31
Ahh.. That could explain it, but it was a Republic base.

EDIT: HOT D@MN! No more waiting for my posts to be approved!

*Snickers to himself* Now I can SPAM!

"Only the Dark Side deals in absolutes!" - Obi Wan

The above statement is proof that George Lucas has destroyed Star Wars.
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 18:45
Quote: "*Snickers to himself* Now I can SPAM!"

No you can't... a mod will n00b slap you back on approval

Stunt man 2 http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=79827&b=8&p=0
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 17:07
Yo Tinker, awesome awesome work. Please do not ignore this message nor do otherwise:

Please talk about Ip-based Fpses where two guys play over a network or both on one keyboard, how it changes from a typical fps, tips and tricks for storylines and level building (fogs, barrels,etc) and mst importantly, the gameplay, something as plain as killing the other player does NOT go a long way, though its the most basic idea behind any deathmatches. Please talk about DeathMatches and their unique gameplay with weapons and stuff, will come back in 48 hours, if not done....

Great work so far

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 21:25
Ah, Keemo1000 - you're a bit, well, enthusiastic there. If you'd asked nicely, I may have tried to write up something about multiplayer FPSs, but because of your silly joke-demads - I'll probably never help you. *shrugs* Oh well.

Steam Assassin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 07:14
@Keemo1000

HAHA!

Ich bin heiss...
Don't mess with Texas!
...Internet? What the hell is that!
Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 15:27 Edited at: 29th Jun 2006 15:29
Grr...
@TinkerGirl:
May you please kindly write more concerning DeathMatches and Fpses over an Ip network (as in deathmatches ) As I am having a bit of trouble in them. And now that Ive found you talking about Level and Game Design theory pretty well, I thought that if you write about a genre like that; that apparently many people seem to be into now, I think would result in absolute inspiration and would definetly help us ace in many games. Ive been searching alot, even on Wikipedia, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

If only we were given the chance to experience good DeathMatch-making tutorials (honestly, they dont exist that much), we would have made many. And now, if you please (without sarcasm, seriously) write us a few paragraphs concerning the above Topic? But thats ok! If you dont want to scroll up, its "DeathMatch gaming".

Really, I looked everywhere, try wikipedia and see if you can prove me wrong.

I apologise for any hurt feelings or dead emotions previously, though that wasn't my aim.

P.S: Yea I know I use brackets alot, its a bad habit of making sure you've understood

Keemo1000_

Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 10:56
Hello?

Your signature has been erased by a mod

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 22:34:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 22:34:57