Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Quikly 3d Game Studio Pro - Update thread :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 11:56
haha okay I wasn't sure Yes I found Radient akward in many areas

Sorry I didn't update yestereday guys - had to go make sets for the local school play (both my kids are in it) Being the only man there I seemed to be the only one capable of doing anything even remotely difficult or heavy so they roped me into it After a day of random kids running all over me and middle aged "chunky" women going "ooh its so nice to have a young man round" "ooh you're so strong" etc I just HAD to go escape down the pub

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 15:04
sounds like a nightmare to me.

I'm glad you came out of it alive

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 16:05

Chunky women

|| Bush Babies are funny little hermits, disguised as rats. ||
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 22:30
Chunky women; more to love.

You are not alone.
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 23:10
Lol yeah I survived and am in one peice

Today has been really quite cool, I've got the save and export functions working properly, and added lots of little features, so the model maker is maybe 90-95% complete, for the meantime before I decide to add more features. Before the demo I'd like to add some help files and tutorials, but I won't start that until I've finished more important work on the actual game editor.

Tomorrow I plan to start using the model maker to make finished decent models to use in game, which will also help me find if there are any bugs or problems in using it. I'll then try and re-aquaint myself with the code for my game editor so that I can start seriously getting ti into a state so it feels "finished"/polished enough for the demo & launch on the 15th if all goes to plan

Hopefully that means som enice screenies of models tomorrow, possibly even in game... Thanks for the continuing interste and support of the product guys

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 23:23
hehe, will be a full moon on the 15th

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 00:40
Oh geez a full moon?
Already?
I don't want to turn into a werewolf already...

Anyways , can't wait to try the demo

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 00:42 Edited at: 8th Dec 2005 01:12
Ok spent a lot of today fiddling with little things trying to get it perfect, making several test models, loading and saving etc. I have found a couple of features I feel are really needed so I'll add them tomorrow, and also a "bug" with certain rotations and texturing situations which seems very random but I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it!

Anyway I said I'd post some screenies, so heres a couple of a pump action shotgun I'm working on (textures are temporary)

Here it is in shaded mode (new)

and heres the model in wireframe (new)

I also started working on a sword which is about half done but looking cool so I thought I'd post it:

Both these models took quarter of an hour to get to the state they are there (I set myself challenges as to how far I can get - otherwise I'd spend all day making stuff and no time programming / adding features ) Gonna do another one now...

[edit] and heres a m11 ish machine gun - again, 15 minutes work exactly, just did it, then ftped it and editted here

[edit again]
Hmm now I guess I should make a magnum style revolver, pistol as started the other day, ak47 style machine gun, knife, hooks (as requested) and 3 or four sci-fi/unreal style guns. Maybe 15 to begin with for release including all the above - which will be finished (ie touched up and textured properly) and usuable in game for the demo.

Obviously you'll also be able to make your own and every week or so I'll make more, but for initial relase that covers all the basics as far as weapons go, unless anyone has more suggestions?

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 01:52
Cool sword.

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 01:54
Very nice job 'roo it looks like this is realy comming along. I'd like to say I would buy it, but I look at the price tag and then my empty wallet and er, decide I need to be a beta tester... Once again, very nice job, look forward to seeing what it will be able to do in the future!

Anyways, figured I owed you a good comment on this for testing/posting on my trench runner code

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 18:42
Bush baby - thanks

CPU - Thanks The demo versions will be perfectly usable for people who don't want to / can't afford to buy it In a sense, this will prvide me with free beta testing

As for trench runner, its cool A side note: To anyone else whos got stuff posted in WIP or PA threads, sorry if I don't post and seem to be posting in other people's, its very random which I see, i only really have time to check whilst I'm waiting for long compiles, hense whatever is top at the time gets my attention - I'm not purposely ignoring or endorsing stuff

"I have found a couple of features I feel are really needed so I'll add them tomorrow, and also a "bug" with certain rotations and texturing situations which seems very random but I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it!"

HAhah all day I've been trying to fix this, and finally got it all working - some very random bugs, just a single character out (as is always the case )The only real issue now is the rotate tool, which works as it should, but is not quite as intuitive as it should be - perhaps I shall change how it works later, its not worth wasting time on right now, I'm just pleased to have fixed the annoying bugs. Features added that really help include new more accurate movement of objects and a snazzy new way to show which box is selected, which is alphaed so you can see other objects through it, and is also visible from any angle regardless of if something is in the way

Will update again later

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 18:55
When I look at all this.... Are you sure that the program and the modeller are made in dbpro!?

It's an awsome work mate! I'm gonna look forward to see what this program will bring

-The Nerd

PanzerGameshere
Free Particle Engine For dbpro :
here
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 19:00
Nerd Wow thanks

Yup 100% dbpro (Using the Excellent BlueGUI2 and Newton Wrapper)

The model editor makes heavy use of the vertex & uv manipulating commands of 5.8 and 5.9 - it wouldn't have been possible (well certainly a lot more difficult) before these versions.

"I'm gonna look forward to see what this program will bring"
Yes me too I hope people start a nice community of malking models and games to share I expect there will be commercial/shareware games made with this too, can't see any reason why not, theres close to unlimited potential there really, poly counts etc are only limited by the user's pc

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 19:02
Model editor looks sweet, is it going to be a seperate package from quickly or to you have to buy the two together?

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 19:15 Edited at: 8th Dec 2005 19:18
Great job!

This was this made in DB Pro?!

Is it possible to do modelling and stuff without enhancements?

--------------
Uncle Sam
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 19:20 Edited at: 8th Dec 2005 19:22
Thanks Hawkeye

It'll be free to people who buy Quikly (as will plenty of other things, I have tree and plant editors, heightmap/terrain editor, seemless texture editor etc started)

If there is anyone who wants to buy the model editor separately I imagine it'd be cheap - and there will be a free demo version which will allow saving but not exporting, I have an idea I'm mulling over that the saved models could then be entered into a competition to win free copies of Quikly - with all entries going into the free model pool for users to download - does that sound like a good idea? Thought it might help populate the model side of things

Uncle Sam - Thanks and yeah its possible so long as you've updated to 5.8 or 5.9 the new commands are not properly documented though, I learnt from great examples of vertex and uv editting by Spooky and Lost in Thought if memory serves correctly - the new commands take a lot of trial and error to get to work though! This will reall negate the reason to learn them for most people

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 21:07
Quote: "If there is anyone who wants to buy the model editor separately I imagine it'd be cheap - and there will be a free demo version which will allow saving but not exporting, I have an idea I'm mulling over that the saved models could then be entered into a competition to win free copies of Quikly - with all entries going into the free model pool for users to download - does that sound like a good idea? Thought it might help populate the model side of things
"

Sounds like an excellent plan, I reallllllly suck at modeling so this looks to be a godsend! If I can't win then I'd just as soon buy quickly, even just to get to the model editor

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 21:10 Edited at: 8th Dec 2005 21:11
"Sounds like an excellent plan" Thanks!

"I reallllllly suck at modeling" lol so do I - especially texturing them accurately - but I honestly find this very easy to get decent results (like the ones I've posted) as I spent ages thinking about WHY I find other modellers difficult to use - then changing that with this one

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 22:28
It looks great! I don't know if it is even possible but will you be able to animate the models?

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 13:16
Thanks Andrew

Initially no you won't be able to model them, they'll just sway, roate and recoil in the engine for guns, and react with physics for objects such as chairs etc.

However I will add the basic ability to animate them by moving or rotating limbs soon - this could be used for pumping a pump action gun when shooting, or rotating an aerial for example. Textures will also be able to be manipulated, for example an amunition count could be displayed on a gun like in Halo.

What won't be added anytime soon is proper bone / skeletal animation for character walking etc, this will be handled separately.

Work is continuing quite nicely, I'll upload screenshots tonight

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 15:16
I like the looks of this, prolly wont change to it, other than to make weapons if it proves to be easier, but my 3D package is super easy anyway. I think i'll end up buying Quikly, sounds real tasty

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 16:59
At first, I was more interested in quikly than the modeler, but it looks like its turning really good. Although I use 3dsmax. I would definitely use the modeler for quick and dirty stuff also if it dumps straight out to .dbo
If all goes well and it is easy to use, it should get pretty popular especially since there's tons of posts from folks struggiling with other modelers, free or otherwise, and if its not a modelling issue, its an export thing.
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 19:45
Seppuku - thanks!

Joh - cool thanks. I haven't got a dbo export at the mo (principally cos they keep changing the format - is it finalised yet?) but I will At the moment its got its own file type and exports to .x

Doing a bit of texture touching up on the shotgun - looks much nicer now i think? Its still needs some more details, such as the trigger (and whatever the cover/ring around the trigger is called!)

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 22:10
Yes it does look better.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 23:50 Edited at: 9th Dec 2005 23:51
Thanks That jpg was awful, hopefully this shows it a bit better - its not really that short, just facing away from the camera

Anyway on a side note spent most of today trying to sort the website side of things, ordering processes etc, tomorrow will be more hardcore programming on the "game" side of things, and hopefully do a bit more modelling too

Anyway I'm off for an early night, cheers

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2005 21:10
I'm off travelling tomorrow to visit relatives for the next few days, unfortunately got some illness in the family But I will be back before or on the 15th with the new demo I'll be taking my laptop with me so I'll get as much extra work done as possible on it

I've made some cool decisions about Quikly, but I might as well give full details of those when I come back as I won't be able to answer questions for the next few days.

Thanks for all your support and I look forward to coming back and showing you all more of Quikly Studio

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2005 23:31
Quote: " unfortunately got some illness in the family"

Know the feeling dude, my boss is expecting me to work the only day I can visit them over christmas, if she leaves me no choice, then I hand in my notice, and beg Maxon UK for some grunt work.

Well good luck with the family, and see ya when youget back

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
granada
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2005 19:52
Great work there Kangaroo2 BETA2
I look forward to trying the new demo out .Keep up the good work .

Dave

Windows XP Home 2002 Service Pack 2,1AMD Athlon(tm)XP 3200+ Barton 2.20 GHz ,1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256MB DDR
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2005 20:01 Edited at: 14th Dec 2005 20:05
Hi everyone I'm back!

Seppuku & granada, thanks

Didn't get ask much time as I'd have liked whilst I was away to work on stuff, I think perhaps just Quikly model pro will be released tomorrow, with game pro following soon after - either way definitely a demo tomorrow, Gonna stay up late tonight trying to write as much documentation as I can to make it usable for people

[Edit] Lots of nice little new features added to make it more usable - I'm saving details and screenshots for the program announcement tomorrow with the demo

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2005 21:40 Edited at: 14th Dec 2005 21:41
Quote: "either way definitely a demo tomorrow"

woot! I'll be waiting...

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2005 22:08
Me too.

devastation
Years of Service
User Offline
YES!!! just in time for finals at school!

This project looks awesome!

verydevastating.com
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 11:46

Today started almost 6 hours ago in EST, and 11 hours ago in UK time.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 12:48 Edited at: 15th Dec 2005 12:59
Thanks everyone

lol Torrey I'm not late yet, I didn't sepcify what time! I'm aiming for around tea time here Busy Bug Testing at the mo

[edit] oh of course, I'm also busy setting up a website, forum and new Tiff banners

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 13:30
Ahhh, and so kang-a-roo enters teh long dark teatime of the soul..

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 18:02
Just did a quick beta test sent around a few friends and having teething problems

It seems that the textures generated by my uv code aren't always square and this mucks up some graphics cards, and other textures are so large that smaller graphics cards just crash when trying to generate them

I'm hot on the heels of fixing this though, determined to get this uploaded and on here today! Wosrt comes to worst if I can't fix it by late, I'll upload a demo with the texturing removed from the exports and stick another one up when its fixed...

need more coffee

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 20:08
Wow tantalisingly close to getting the new square texture code working - the uvs are all over the place but its making very nice complete texture maps and loading and texturing the models... I'm sure I'll get this sorted this evening if I can keep at it!

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 21:07
Chill. We wait patiently.
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 21:52
Lol thanks. I hate missing deadlines tho, even if they r ones I set myself

Its getting there slowly, still working hard at getting this as compatible as possible, cos I hate releasing stuff and then finding out no-one can run it

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 22:16 Edited at: 15th Dec 2005 22:18
Heh this is why I'm never going to *gauruntee* a demo for anything I make.
But don't worry about it dude! We all understand!

edit: Lol please correct the mispelled word, it's in asterisks.
I'm a horrible speller, I apologize.
>_<;

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 00:42
hehe well I'm in two minds about this. I have a demo ready to upload, but I've had to disable some of the coolest stuff to prevent errors. I think to be honest I'd rather go to bed, get up early tomorrow and give it a decent stab at putting it all back in for tomorrow, and writing a nice webiste to tell people all about it show screenshots etc. A quick upload wouldn't do it justice

However I'm not quite going back on my word, as I'm so sure this'll be ready tomorrow, the release date is officially still the the 15th for ordering purposes (shipped tomorrow ) and I'm taking orders through the "share it" site for anyone who cares to look it up

See you guys tomorrow!

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 00:46
See yous tommorow.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 15:06 Edited at: 16th Dec 2005 16:59
HAhahahahahahaha! Its 2:00pm and I've been working since 9:00am to get this blumming new exact square uv mapping to work. FINALLY It does, and I can't quite believe it! (Continues laughing deleriously for a while!)

OK so that means a full release, demo, tutorials, website and some exciting news definitley coming tonbight then If I don't release a demo before 9 o clock tonight, you may (but not before ) post whatever insults you wish about me then

I reckon we're well on track here - actually feeling a sense of achievment

[edit] 4:00pm Export as an .x now works perfectly too, even with the texture's uv points set pixel perfectly

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 21:56 Edited at: 16th Dec 2005 22:21
Haha! 5 to nine and I've finished the demo .exe

[edit] Ok Its uploaded now! the link is:
[url]http://www.quikly.com/downloads/Quikly 3d Model Pro Demo 101.rar[/url]

This is a quick demo I put together to keep to my word However I haven't yet made demo versions of the "help" files or tutorials (Some features are missing from the demo) so this download has no help files or tutorials yet.

I'm off to watch the las "space cadets" and then to go round a mates

Feel free to download and try the demo, but don't get frustrated if there are features you can't work out etc, I'll release a full demo with many of the missing features re-implemented and full, easy to follow tutorials in te next day or two, along with a really cool website which is made but not uploaded yet.

Heres a screenshot for good measure:

[edit] I really hope this works on people's pcs. Be aware that if theres an issue with it crashing it may still be because a rouge texture / uv creating routine isn't making fully square textures, I'll double check this, fix any bugs found and as I said add many of the missing features to the next demo, in a day or so - (maximum by monday :-P )

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 22:12
Yes can't wait thanks Kangaroo2 BETA2 i'll be the first to download it *strats refreshing thread*

Experienced DB http://www.greatgames3d.com (work in progress site)
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 22:20
man this is superb and if anyone is asking how i got it so fast *looks at 4mbps broadband* thats how

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 22:25
Ad break : Just had to see if anyone downlaoded it yet - thanks Dark Basic Mad I'm glad you like it and it works for you

I should have mentioned that on new/blank projects you start off wth only one texture, plain white. Click on the preview image to select files from your hard drive to add to the model pool. A model's texture pool once saved is stored under "textures" in the directory you save it. Once you export a model it makes one big texture.

Sorry just noticed that in this demo version all textures you import must be 512x512 otherwise they won't work properly. thats really easy to fix I'll fiux it for the next demo. Anyway back to space cadets

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 22:35 Edited at: 16th Dec 2005 22:40
You know when i had a go on this it gave me the idea for my next project (Which i'm making now) thanks if you had msn i would ask you some questions about this and how you created it e.t.c

Edit

Adding a loading system to my app to load the quikly 3d studio files

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 23:38
thats cool

I warn you that the q3d files will change format quite often (although it'll always be able to convert old ones)

Obviously for use in games etc I wouldn't recommend using them, the exported .x files are much quicker to load and only have one texture

Really glad its inspired you though I find it inspiring to use, cos it's so easy to make models etc I get ideas for games popping into my head all the time

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 00:44
WOOT! 100 Posts!

Sorry just had to Spam there

Just been informed by my wife that we're out all day tomorrow visiting relatives again, so won't be able to update til Sunday - Hopefully have the new demo and website ready by Monday tho. Anyway hope u all have fun playing with the demo ( a few posts up )

Here's another screenshot, this time showing the pistol example model loaded in dbpro

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 04:07:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 04:07:07