Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Quikly 3d Game Studio Pro - Update thread :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 11:55 Edited at: 17th Dec 2005 11:56

This is my code i could do with a proper file loader like your's is if I knew how

Edit:
That loads any file if you use open to read i just loaded a c4d file up in it

Experienced DB http://www.greatgames3d.com (work in progress site)
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 12:32
i would hardly call open to read loading a model of any format.

@kangaroo in the 3d view it would best if you removed the mass of grids since it looks stupid, and for modeling having wireframe views is best.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 00:47
"in the 3d view it would best if you removed the mass of grids since it looks stupid" you can already do that - Click on the menu at the top, "view" and then click the options to turn each grid on and off They are there to emphasise the center of rotation, and also the scale compared to other models, so they import into your game perfectly, but can each be turned on or off as and when you need them

"modeling having wireframe views is best."
You can already do that too, the "view" menu lets you choose between wireframe, textured and shaded views

Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 04:36
Question... I remember that you said an online downloadable version would be available for $20. Is this still the case, or did you bump it up to $50? Thanks.

Snipa Masta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 11:09
Looks pretty good. A built in model editor with a game creator makes it pretty independant.

Just noticed you were from good ol' Somerset too.
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 14:58
Hi Lynx The downloadable version I planned was for around 20POUNDS not dollars, so the price difference between download and boxed product is very little, 29.99 inc worldwide postage. However I'm still considering lowering that price, and a download also. The model editor will also be available as a separate product for much cheaper for those just interested in that. I'm finalising the website at the moment so it'll all be sorted soon.

Snipa MAster - thanks! Yes that was my plan, to hav eit as independant as possible. I'm also writing a texture maker, plant & tree generator, terrain and sky box generator and making a large directory of free media to use so in theory you/d never need to buy another piece of software for making games, they'll all be included in the price

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 15:01
The model maker seems kewl, but the loading times on models is a little off though really, but I know thats prolly because a- My PC is crap, b- Its DBP and its not as high speed as the engines pros use. or C- A&B together

Good work dude, now all you need is a raytraced renderer (just kidding )

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 15:42 Edited at: 18th Dec 2005 15:45
Sepuku - The exported .x models load basically INSTANTLY, and the models save and export very quickly. The load times of q3d models into the model editor are the only real problem. The reason they take so long is that each side of each box is a separate texture which is generated and then uv mapped by dbpro.

However - this is only temporary and I'll soon reprogram it to just make one big temporary texture in memory and just add bits to it when you add a new one. This will make the loading process at least a quarter of the speed This is what it originally did but it caused errors on some people's pcs, so I re-wrote a temporary loading system to replace it. Once I canm fix the old system it'll be back in place and MUCH quicker

Thanks for trying it though and the positiove comments You're kind of right with it being dbpro's fault, but not eally as there are faster methods for when I re-write it. The only real issue with your pc slowing it down would be a lack of ram on the graphics card, and that will be fixed by the new loading system, when its implemented again

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 18:24
ah that figures

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 10:09
One of the best things I like about the 3D Model Pro is the interface. Everything is neatly spaced and positioned giving it a really nice professional feel. The overall speed and response of the program is really good. On this old 1.7ghz machine at work there was a sense of smoothness when loading and moving around the objects.

The only problem that I had the entire time was trying to load the gun model. Toward the end of the loading a dbpro error message popped up saying "unknown image error at line 430." I haven't tested this at home to see if the same thing happens there.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 11:52
Wow thanks Torrey I really appreciate that Yes the interface took me a good long while to plan and work out exactly how I wanted it to look and work. I believe its one of the most efficient and clean layouts on this kind of software, its also relatively revoultionary in the way the controls for each view mode re-write themselvews to work for that particular tool and view. I'm glad its smooth and fast for you to use too, I haven't tested it on much other than my two pcs, both of which are quite meaty in the graphics deartment

An image error whilst loading the gun model may well be to do with the temporary loading method being very wasteful for video card memory, as I mentionned above to Seppuku - hopefully when I reimplement the old method it'll fix that - It'll probably only affect complicated objects - I imagine if you make and save a simple object and save then load it it'll work fine?

Update:
I was expecting to release a new demo yesterday but had to drive my kids around to various christmas parties. Today I'll be working mostly on tutorials, website and help files as I'm sure that most people are put off trying more advanced stuff in this due to lack of documents - I know I would be! Once they are in I'll start adding all the missing features back in I also have some real good news for all forum members

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 16:49
Looking forward to the updates and that for it gonna use http connect command on my game to go to your site when the app closes

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 17:00
Thanks! But you may want to just post a link or spash pic instead, some people might get annoyed by a game forcing them to visit a website - that said, if you want to, thats fine by me, tis all free advaertising! lol

Just written a very nice tutorial explaining the basics, took a while but I think its pretty good Just fixing up the website before I uplaod it all

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 17:03
woot coool yeah i might give it an option to vist the site how can i get a yes or no box?

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 18:01
Well you can program it into dbpro quite easily, using whatever method you have for your ingame menus or hud - or if you have BlueGUI2 you can use the question dialogue which will return a 1 for yes or a 0 for no.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 18:11
ahh thanks i have bluegui somewhere

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 21:34 Edited at: 20th Dec 2005 21:36
Ok I've started a new thread for this in Program Announcements now, as I have finished and free version ready to start delivering - theres also a nice detailed tutorial, the first of many I hope

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=67573&b=5

This will be my last post in this thread, I'm moving discussion to the program announcements page, and also my own quikly.com/forums pages.

thanks for all the interest in this thread Sam

Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 23:55
Can it do animations or constraints?

Hey, Baa!
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2006 18:28
Hi Dr Evil - I didsn't see your question - this is an old thread, there are stickies for it now on Wip and Program Announcements. If you mean can Model Pro anaimate or rig models the answer is no for now, but in the furture, yes

Preorder EA here:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=67575&b=8&p=0
+ Model Pro out now in Program Announcements!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 04:52:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 04:52:51