Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Templar Quest wip Thread..

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 16:42
The scroll by itself as an attachment..

Cheers!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 16:43
The RIP screen as an attachment..

Cheers!

Attachments

Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 16:44
This looks great. w00t go wiggett and your acting skillz

I have been re assigned. New name, new mission. Star Fleet - 5%
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 16:47
And a possible intro screen as an attachment..

Note: these images have been croppe so that they can be pasted in the main part of the game display.

Cheers!

Attachments

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 16:48
Looks superb i added again to the artist challenge thread again

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 19:59 Edited at: 15th Feb 2006 23:12
3ds Master, I realise this isn't my thread, but using it as an excuse to grab David's attention to your sprite requests is probably not the most polite thing to do.

David - I cant tell the difference between your sprite page posted originally, and the one you just posted - am I being blind?
[edit again] Ah, refreshing the cache brought it up - my browser was still showing the old one.
(Thanks for posting the extra screens - they'll be very useful.)

Sad point though - I'll need to spend a little time crossing over to a bitmap font system, because printing out the stats every frame with the DB text system is slow Amazingly slow - I mean, I knew it was renowned for being slow - but I never realised just how slow

[edit] And while I'm here (a few hours later after work) I may as well mention that I've 'fixed' the chests to open on bump, then pick up goodies and dissapear on walkover. Oh - and you can push barrels around (but of course, not in to walls, collidables or other objects).
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 11:44
just so you don't think I have abandonned this thread, I'll be away for the next few days. I wonder what interesting stuff will be posted here when I come back.

Cheers!

P.s. I should be back on sunday.
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 11:46
Quote: "3ds Master, I realise this isn't my thread, but using it as an excuse to grab David's attention to your sprite requests is probably not the most polite thing to do."

Sorry about that

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 00:02
I realise David's away for a few days (hope it's a fun few days, David ) I'll post some progress here for the anyone else interested in the meantime.

New Things:
Bitmap Font system - DB text was SO slow! (Monospaced, unfortunately)
Pushable barrels!
Gold from chests (new style)
Informational text spam.
Intro screen (using the 'shield' image from David).
Added the sprite for pressure pads, but no functionality yet.

The text spam prints things like how much gold you've picked up, an introductionary sentence to welcome you to the dungeon, and occasional gripes about how heavy barrels are when you're pushing them around. It scrolls down from the top.
There can be lots of situations that add text spam to the box - attacks, damages, item use, etc.

I'm thinking the time is approaching when I won't be able to put off adding baddies much longer. Scary!

Attachments

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 01:16
*trumpet fanfare!*

I've got enemies in! This deserves an update, I feel.

New Stuff:

Added enemy types
Added spawn points
Enemy spawning works and is randomised within limits
Combat, enemy death, gold loot and XP
Added player hitpoints

Basically, now you can create your own baddie type (with 'level', sprite, hitpoints, attack rating, damage ranges etc) and add spawn points on the level with a particular level range.

So you can add low level spawn points near the start of the level, and increase the level range deeper in the dungeon. Just don't set a spawn point to use a level you don't have a baddie appropriate for!

The player can wander, find enemies, attack them (with combat spam text - damage, attack types, misses etc), be attacked in return and eventually kill them and get gold and XP as reward!

*quite pleased with self*

Admittedly, there's no player death yet, and no potions or other items yet, but not long now.

Attachments

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 11:49
could not load image at line 564.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 14:07
Curious - you do have the 'maps' directory in the Templar Quest folder, don't you? Sounds like it might have been extracted without the directory structure, as the maps have to be in the 'maps' folder.

Can that help you, Wiggett?
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 01:14 Edited at: 19th Feb 2006 01:18
nah there is a maps folder, everything in its right place. I will dl an older version and see if it comes up with the same thing. Also im using dbp trial, maybe that is a concern?

edit: older versions still say the same thing, so I'd assume its my dbp.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 11:39
I'm back, and yes I had fun...

O..M..G.. Tinkergirl you are on fire, I am very impressed with the progress you made.

But of course I'll have to provide some comments, mainly I noticed the 2 font pics. On my system the fonts in game are almost illegible. If I know the inns and outs of the font bitmap I would be willing to make a custom font. Is it simply a black/white thing? or (hopefully) a black as transparent where I can introduce some font smoothing?

Keep up the fantastic work, Cheers!
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 11:41
Welcome back david

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 16:08
Hi David,

Yes, the font seems to be touch and go, depending on what computer/monitor I run it on If you want to have a go at making a better font then please feel free.

I'm sure you found "fontpage_very2.png" in the folder with the font I'm currently using - black is transparent, everything else will show up.

At the top of the code are several global variables that you can change if you wish:
global NumFontSpritesPerRow = 16, that's 16 across.
global FontSpriteWidth = 22, in pixels
global FontSpriteHeight = 22 in pixels
global FontSpriteDisplayWidth = 12, how close together I put them
global NumFontSprites = 96, how many sprites there are

If you make you're own, its best to put them in the same order as you see there (ascii order) and because I don't know the width of each individual letter, monospaced fonts work best.
I'd really prefer a more robust system, but I haven't found one yet (and the DB text, while nice, is far too slow).

What did you think of the baddie system? Spawntables and spawnpoints with level ranges?

@Wiggett: Sorry, Wiggett I've no idea what would happen if someone tried to run this on an unupdated trial version I can see about compiling an exe for you, if you'd like?
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 19:09
It worked for me. I thought this was really good.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can see about compiling an exe for you, if you'd like?"

I would like it too. I want to see it but I don't have DBP.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 13:22
Tinkergirl, I looked at the font bitmap and tried one of my own,.. Yuk! the font died.. suffice to say that that lead me to look at the code because I had the nagging suspicion that the font was being 'warped/scaled'. Guess what I found..

Load Image filename, FontPage;

I tried this 'old' trick...

Load Image filename, FontPage,1;

Guess what,.. DBPro is obviously 'geared' to 3D since it by default 'scales' any images to 'fit' But when images are drawn to a precise size the scaling thing foobar's everything. Like the HUD and sprite bitmaps all the bitmaps should have the ",1" appended to them. According to the help file this 'preserves the original scale' of the image.

Try it and let me know if this simple solution works on your end of the world.

Cheers!
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 14:53
*coughs* Doh, right. My bad. That'd be one of those obvious errors. It shouldn't even have had the ";" at the end of it - but it'd been hastily translated from a DarkSDK project my bf was working on. (He kindly helped me with the code for the bitmap font).

I can't actually tell any difference at this end on this PC, (because it seems to like that resolution) but I'm sure it helps on other PCs (I can test it tonight on a laptop).

I'll upload the .exe for anyone who wants to try it without a current version of DBPro (5.8, at least). There's not much different from last time - I just played about with some 'content' by adding more baddie types and spawnpoints, and added the RIP page (though, it doesn't print out much yet, and just waits for you to press a key and puts you back in the game as if nothing happened).

Known bugs- pressing backspace on the name entering screen crashes it.
Pressing anything other than enter gives you a name with a " " in front of it.

Attachments

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 23:42
Double post - apologies.

Any requests for what to work on next, David? I've run out of a bit of steam now and haven't done any tonight (I had a go at throwing together a 2d tile puzzle game to see if I could).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Sorry there's been so little interest in the thread, I'm quite surprised and a little dissapointed.
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
That was pretty cool! What do you do with the barrels though?

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 00:21
Nothing yet The plan is to have them push switches on the floor.
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 12:27 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 12:35
While you, process your thoughts on 'objects' in the game, perhape a quick and dirty level editor so that I (and anyone who cares to) can design a few levels.

Other ideas that might help fuel some thoughts,.. how about a 'teleport' tile? (If you think this is doable let me know and I'll add a tile to the sprites bitmap.)

Oh and I have a kind of 'request'.. could there also be the ability to place monsters/objects randomly? this way it would add a little variety to the game. Also, at some stage it might be interesting to tweak the level size, 256x256 is probably too big, and we could drop the max size to at least half of that. (hmmm, does anyone want to take the challenge of making a level generator? only walls and doors need be generated at first, then if a start/exit is needed, and any teleports and if we get even more creative random start points in the level.. etc etc etc)

Once 'objects' get inserted into the game, the ability to 'trade' (buy/sell) with an NPC will be a nice addition. This will require a NPC type object/monster that when you encounter initiates a trade window. (again if you think this is a good idea, let me know and I'll make a UI panel for the shop/trade)

I hope this helps, and fyi there is no 'deadline' for this project, it's a work in progress. Also thanks to your wonderful comments in the codebase, it is a great tutorial source for beginners.

Also, I'm an artist, no one knows better than I that inspiration comes in waves. Consider the frst wave over and prepare for the second wave.

Cheers!

P.S. While your .exe version is nice, there was no source in the download.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 13:22 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 13:23
thats cause it was the source she had already released, just compiled for the impoverished like me also, add in support to play an avi after dying.

edit: just re-read her post, ok so its got a tiny bit more

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 15:54
Sorry - as Wiggett guessed, I hadn't thought I'd changed enough to warrent a full update - it was just to give out a .exe for those who couldn't run it normally.

Teleport tile would be simplicity itself to do - easier than most other ideas we toss around

A 'quick and dirty level editor' sounds a lot scarier. I've never created tools before. :/

Level size is completely set by the current .tqm file (and associated .bmp) you can make a 4*4 map if you want, or anything up to stupid numbers (I wouldn't suggest anything as big as a 1024*1024, or anything, but they're possible).

Any square sized map can be created - 12*12, 100*100, 50*50, 42*42...

Trading is an interesting idea - I wondered what was going to be done with all that gold. Assuming I manage an inventory system, trading shouldn't be hard to put in.

Random baddies - the question then is - how many random baddies? Where do you say "Ok, enough random baddies now." Maybe I can add in a number somewhere in the .tqm...
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 22:11
Here's a thought about setting the number of randome monsters.. a % based on the size of the map. Meaning say 5% random monsters, on a map 128x128 that would be 128*5%=6.4 (rounded to an int would be 6) We can adjust the % value to adjust difficulty, or some such.

Just a thought.

Cheers!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 13:46 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2006 13:47
played the game, god damn! that was awesome!!! darnit why doesn't t-money ever help out on any of my games :/

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 15:07
Quote: "darnit why doesn't t-money ever help out on any of my games"

?? "t-money"? Whassat, Wiggett?

(Glad you liked it so far though).
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 13:22
i call lots of girls (letter)-money, saves me from remembering their whole names.

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 22:20
Whew!

Newest version, and some very cool stuff (if I say so myself).

Features:
- Teleportals! They look like pressure pads, but the tile can be adjusted.
- Item Information! Armour, Weapons, Potions and Other.
- Proportionalised font! No more nasty monospaced font.
- Loot Tables! Based on enemy level, you decide what they drop.
- Loot actually drops! Killed enemy drops items.
- Inventory! Yup - pick up items for your very own.
- Potion use! So far, healing and temporary strength buff potions.
- Armour equipping! Wear your leather armour with pride.
- Weapon equipping! Be more dangerous than ever.
- Buffs! Temporary buffs to stats that wear off after time.

That was downright tricky. Sorry no level editor yet David - but it seemed madness to try to write one when I don't have all the text file components set in stone (or even soft concrete).

Do I get a kiwi now?

(.exe included along with the source for all you non-dbpro-ers)

Attachments

Kansas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 23:07
I think its a really awesome game. I think one was you can improve the movement is by creating a sprite set of different poses so that it shows the character moving. This seems like it will be alot of work, as it is been created from hand by you, but Im sure the movement would look so much better if you made animation frames, like this:

Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 23:19
Very nice Tinkergirl, just missing some game boy music

But, have you already thought about making Line of Sight, such that you cannot see what's behind a wall? and maybe some fog of war?

for the LOS i have some DBP code, if ur interested and, if you don't want to do it yourself.

greets,
Barnski.

-- I just started with DarkSDK, by translating DBP Projects. --
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool!
Just one thing, the message section is VERY confusing. Maybe you should add a blank line between messages?

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 00:14
@UFO: Thanks, I'll try to see about making it easier to read the combat spam in the corner. At the moment, there's suggestions to make it scroll upwards instead of downwards too.

@Barnski: Again, thanks. I'd been tempted to do LOS but I was too chicken to attempt it. It seemed a lot harder to do when I was at that stage. As for fog of war, the original fog is in there of course, but I expect you meant 'forgetting' where enemies are when you're away from them. I worry that people might think it a bug if baddies start dissapearing.
But I'd like to see that code you're talking about anyway - might help me.

Thanks for commenting though. I was starting to feel this was a 3-person thread
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 00:39 Edited at: 27th Feb 2006 15:25
For the Fog you might want to "gray out" the tiles that are out of sight (or just not in LOS), and with that hide all objects that are on that tile... then people will clerly recognize it as dynamic fog of war.

I added the LOS algorithm I use in my project. It uses the Bresenheim (Bresenham) Algorithm for the calculation of an integer line, which is I think the fastest on the world (update: there have been variatons of it that are up to 10x faster than the original: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=72850&b=1 <- DBP translation by JessTicular). Note that it uses INTEGERs, dont replace them with floats, as it is one of the reasons why it is so fast.
In my code there are two arrays used:

1) tiles_visible (x,y) as integer
2) TileArray(x,y) As TILE

1)this is just a boolean array that will store the result of the calculation, it is not as big as the 2nd, since you only have to check until you reach the RANGE OF SIGHT.

2) this is a 2d array that holds all tiles of the map. it is used to check whether a tile is blocking your view or not.

The Algorithm in words:
You pass him two Points, the start and end of a line.
The algorithm will then go from the start till the end, check if the current tile is not wall (meaning you can see through it), sets 1 to tiles_visible, OR exits the function if not. (rest will be 0).

SO in your game you will have to call the line function for all your points ON THE EDGE of your Sight range, where the char position is the start of the line. And before you do the calculation, undim the tiles_visible array and redim it, to make sure all bits are set to 0 (not visible).

So now you can do this I hope, and it will still require enough brain work from your side, but this is good I guess, if not (I may have missed to explain an important thing), just ask! I will be keeping an eye on this project. AND I will also make a function using bresenheim's algorithm to calculate an integer circle, which you could alos use to determine the outher part of your sight range.

Ok enough for now. Good Luck implementing!

greets,
Barnski.

edit: forgot the code, so I insert it here:
edit2: Don't try to UNDERSTAND the math, it is the result of a complex theory of Bresenheim... I just implemented it in DBP

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 11:24 Edited at: 27th Feb 2006 11:37
Wow, Tinkergirl awesome work. <me hands you a cratefull of kiwi's>

I wouldn't worry about a fog of war, with the 'black' tiles in place the current code works as I envisionned it. Also the current way it is done opens some interesting things that can happen.. for example the player sees a treasure room behind the wall, but has to figur out how to get inside. (he might see a teleport pad and have to find the matching one, or he might have to find the 'hidden' passage.

This is a most excellent update, I am however gonna make a few comments.

I agree the spam is a little hard to read, a space would help, another thing might be a 'tagline' that only gets printed after the outcome of each battle. so you see a troll,.. approach and fight then when you kiil it a short message like "You encountered a scruffy looking troll, you killed it for getting your armor dirty." etc.

If the tagline was like a drop list, each monster could have a specific phrase, or a few and one chosen randomly upon killing it. A selection of phrases could also be made in the same file if it kills you.

I know you are working on it, but when an item is picked up it should dissapear from the ground. also are there any monsters that you can kill that do not respawn? it would be nice to have both types.

Did I mention that at some point it might be interesting to have nps's that give you quests? Now there is a task worth a bushel of kiwi's

I'm gonna try to make a second small test map with what I know so far. Then you can try something new while you are coding.

Have a great day, and Cheers!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 11:31
stay away from animations, just have each character a stationary image. Also yeah spacing the text is good, scrolling down text? as in the text moves up each line and the new message is placed at the bottom? or the message is placed at the top and the text is moved down?

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 11:35
Kansas, the idea of animation is a good one but I'm not about to tackle anyting like that. all the tiles I have repersent work done over several years. To do just simple 2 frame anims and 4 directions would involve 8x the work, and if I wanted something more 'reasonable' for animated sprites, it would be 3 frames per (standing, left leg forward, right leg forward) it would be 12x the work.

Add to this I have no experience in animation and that = it's not gonna happen unless another artist joins and offers to do all the anim. (are you volenteering? remember tiles are 32x32)

It is a great idea though, thanks for the post.

Cheers!
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 12:05
Quote: "but when an item is picked up it should dissapear from the ground."

*blinks* But, they do! At least, on the two machines I've tested it on. Admittedly, if you've killed several baddies on the same square, it won't let you pick up all the items in one go, but it SHOULD remove the items from the ground once you pick them up.

Is that not happening?

Quote: "another thing might be a 'tagline' that only gets printed after the outcome of each battle."

Instead of the combat spam? Instead of "You slash at the critter for 4 damage"? I'm not quite sure what you mean - there's death spam already.

Quote: "Also yeah spacing the text is good, scrolling down text?"

As in the new text appears at the bottom, rather than the top. Much like Everquest/SWG/DOS/most things work. I've no idea why I did it top first. *shrugs* Also thinking about colour coding the text - red for damage to you, green for damage to them. Might work.

Quote: "also are there any monsters that you can kill that do not respawn"

Not yet - I think I'd probably add a new tag to the spawnpoints - a kind of "Kill this spawn point after X number of spawns." kind of tag. Would that work?

Also, I've almost got the random spawning in - just a few more arrays to add.

Quote: "Did I mention that at some point it might be interesting to have nps's that give you quests?"

Quests? *faints* Oh my.
That's a whole new bundle of scare, that is. Much thinking to be done. Examples of quests possibly David? To figure out what kind of system? (Like, collect 10 rat tails?)
Heck, we haven't even talked properly about the trading system yet!

*wanders off, wondering what you feed a crateful of kiwis*
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 13:28 Edited at: 27th Feb 2006 15:28
David Gervais pointed out the benefits of not having a LOS in this game, and I think he's right

But even if you are not going to make LOS, I must correct myself and point to a better los algorithm that has been translated into DBP by JessTicular (update: it is a variation of the original Bresenham's one, which I posted).

Here you can find his thread:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=72850&b=1

greets,
Barnski.

ps; oh and yes, the items are collected of the floor, I tested it loooong time, and filled up my inventory to see what happens, but that Tinkergirl programmed it already VERY stable!! good job. (I could destroy items from inventory by double clicking on the equipped one, and then again on the new spot they were at. Guess that was intentionally, so again, nice job!)

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 13:44
Quote: "(I could destroy items from inventory by double clicking on the equipped one, and then again on the new spot they were at. Guess that was intentionally, so again, nice job!)"

You can do that?!?
*coughs* Um, I mean - um, YES! Yes, that was my intention all along...
(I had no idea that would happen. I'd not coded support for destroying objects. What a weird, but possibly fortuitous bug. The 'not picking up when you're full' was coded intentionally, however.)
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 15:03
Fixed the buffs for the other stat bonuses on my lunchbreak, but no upload yet. Assume that buffs from potions for stats other than Strength will also work.

Also, in case anyone's wondering - the 1000+ HPs are temporary for testing purposes It was a pain in the backside to have to try to stay alive while testing item dropping - especially when killing Mummy's. Darn those Mummys!

(Should have mentioned too - left click to use/equip/unequip an item, right click to get a description.)
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 16:39
somebody tell me what the story is for the intro cut scene that i'm to film already.

Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 20:13 Edited at: 27th Feb 2006 20:14
I made the fast circle calulation function now. I posted it in JessTiculars thread (along where you find the other LOS Line ALgorithm)

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=72850&b=1

(I announced it earlier, so I had to come up with it. even if you migth not use it..)

Now I wait for the next update

greets,
Barnski

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 23:28 Edited at: 27th Feb 2006 23:36
Tinkergirl, what I mean by having only one span per encounter is just that. I do not think it is necessary to spam every hit/miss through the battle. I mentionned placing at end of battle because I do not see that it could easilly be inserted at the beginning.. (everytime you 'attack' it would think it was a new encounter.) but by placing the spam on death only, then you have all the info needed,.. the monster name, player name, and you can just span "You vanquished the vile *name* thus making the world a safer place.".. (spam is subject to change I'm just spurting examples)

At the edges of my thoughts on the 'spam' is that if you read it, it kind of narates the story/game. In the end (when you die) you can just summerize.. Here Lies *name* killed by a *name* on level 15. *name* succeeded in killing XX foul beasts and collected XXXXX gold during his quest.

I hope this helps clear what I had in mind. (I really want to make the spam a bit different than the standard where every attack/miss is posted in the log.)

Again any suggestions you have are more than welcome.

Edit: instead of spamming every hit/miss when the monster hits you place the damage over the player sprite, and when the player hits show the damage over the monster.. perhaps red numbers for player hit anf green numbers for monster hit. and the number could apear then fade out. just a thought.

----------------------------------------------------------

As for the bombshell 'NPC Quests' I'm really thinking of keeping it simple.. Find item, kill X mobs, collect XXX gold, could even be as simple as 'find the exit' and place the player in a maze.

Again, any ideas you have are always welcome.

Cheers!
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 23:43
Oops, ahem. You sure you don't want all that combat spam? Its just - it's in pretty colours now

Red - you take damage.
Green - you get gold.
Yellow - you get XP.
Blue - item/buff related.

I've also increased the spacing and inverted it - it scrolls up from the bottom now.

It'd be very simple to remove the combat spam (as I'm sure you've seen if you look at the code - there's just one line per spamline with 'addtotextbox()' function call. Delete, or comment out that, and it just won't spam.
The 'you successfully eradicate another minion of darkness' line is already supported - another 'addtotextbox()' call in do_enemydeath().

I've added spam for drinking potions (as well as potions wearing off). And I've put the proper behaviour for all other stat based potions. There's a 'Cat's Agility' potion included in Test Level 1 now.

But what I really want to know, is (in the tradition of old text adventures)...

What now?_

Maybe pick a favourite, David - Trade, Quests, Map Changing, Levelling Up, something else?

Attachments

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 23:52
in exile they had the text in the text field but also had little explosion images pop up on the monster/player with a number in them corresponding to the type and amount of damage, they also drew straight lines to the target with lightning or fire swirls to mimic magic spells. They didn't animate any of the players/monsters, other than to flip the image around when heading east / west.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 03:06
About to go to bed, so I'll check the update tomorrow..

I think the next logical step would be to add a leveling system. Leveling based on xp, but what happens at each level gain? any suggestions? perhaps a randon stat gets +1? or do you think a system where the player can pick which stat gets increased is better?

Oh and if the 'player levels' could be editied in an external file like...

templar.tqx (Templar Quest Xp file)

Number of levels: 10
Level 1: 2000
Level 2: 4000
Level 3: 8000
Level 4: 16000
etc etc..

Levels Above 10: +250000

or some such gibberish where we can make a simple edit to tweak the best progression of levels for balanced gameplay.

Cheers!
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 04:26
I found a bug... you can stand on top of an enemy spawn and hold an arrow key that would move you towards a wall, and when you start to fight, you get moved inside the opposite wall. Nothing too big. You'll have to check for whether the space is free before moving the character there.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 15:07:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 15:07:09