Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Templar Quest wip Thread..

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 11:10
Tinkergirl, the new 'colorful' text spam is nice, let's keep it.

Q: What is the text (number list) that gets displayed when I press spacebar during the game?

Cheers!
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 14:31
@David - Oops Heh. Yes, there's some debug text still in there - the positions of the mouse (x and y) and when you press space, it prints what it believes the x and y position of the top left of each of the equipped slots is.

I had a bit of trouble getting that to work, so the debug stuff is still in.

Putting in leveling should be easy enough - at least, checking for going up a level depending on read leveling information in a text file is do-able. How we think we should do the actual mechanic of leveling up (what stat additions, additions to 'To Hit' numbers etc) I'm not sure of yet. We don't even have a Level written anywhere on the character stat sheet

Might be nice to have a pop up window showing the level changes - if you want to create a sprite for that where we can show the level changes, I'm sure that could be useful.

@FoxBlitzz - thanks for the bug report, I think I'll be able to fix that by putting in a check to disallow baddies spawning at your position. Which I should have done anyway

@Wiggett - sorry, I don't know what (if any) plot there is to any kind of intro. *shrugs* It's nice, for once, to be 'just' the coder.
The particles for 'damage' numbers is an interesting idea, and not something I'd even thought of. Does it work well in Exile?
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 04:13
yes, infact let me find a screen to show you what i mean

ok that doesnt explain it, but really just a little explosion pops up (sometimes animated) and then the numbers are displayed on that explosion to show how much damage it does. actually here is a pic of a spell in avernum, the remake of exile:

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 21:26
How are things going here? haven't seen any posts in awhile.
x1bwork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 21:57 Edited at: 15th Mar 2006 22:04
David, where in Montreal are you? I'm from the west island,Dorval.
I'd be happy to try and lend a hand with this. If you have msn, add me. im on at work and home.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 13:21
Montreal is the closest 'recognizable' city to my location. I'm actually in a small town called Valleyfield about 50 miles south west of Montreal on the St-Laurance River.

Everything is on hold while I take care of my mom during her final days. But I will return, not to worry.

Cheers!
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 17:07
Best wishes to you both Dave
x1bwork
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry man...

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
so sad

:: 3Ghz Pentium 4 / Hyper Threading, 1024mb RAM, 250GB HDD, 256mb Radeon 9600XT Graphics ::

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 17:17
hey dave, just checking in to see how you are and how the game is coming along. *bump*

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 16:06
Gosh, it's been ages since I did anything with this. I may have to dust off the code and see where I was with it.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 19:00
wow ! your project seem to be really promising
I'll keep an eye on it for sure :p

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 20:50
I'm still lurking,.. have been making a small drizzle of posts in the Artist's Challenge thread. I have not touched this WiP in a long time.

That's not to say that Tinkergirl is the 'only' one allowed to play with the artwork and concepts in this thread. If you think you'd like to fool around with the source and or create your own version with new ideas by all means feel free to have some fun. Just remember to post your own progress in this thread.

Cheers!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 08:52
Awesome! I wanted to do a pixel art game for a while, might play around with your code when i get some free minutes.

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 00:56
Well, I was exceedingly rusty after all that time away from the code. But I've made a tiny bit of progress: random spawns.

At the top of all level files is a DIFFICULTY rating - that number *5 is the number of random spawns on the level.

It's a bit bodgy, but it works.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 09:52
Thanks for keeping the thread alive. Things are still going from bad to worse where my mom's health is concerned so my time scanning these forums is limited.

Please have as much fun as you can with this project. Tinkergirl, you r00x0r Grrl.

Have a great day, cheers!
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 16:09 Edited at: 22nd May 2006 16:10
A little update, but one that reveals the desperate need for balancing at some point in the future - levelling.

Currently there's just a temp value for the level XP requirements (200, 400, 800, etc) but this will be replaced by file reading later. Oh, and I wouldn't recommend going above level 10 just yet - it will probably crash.

It adds 1 to a random stat, and gives you several d8's worth more of HP (modified by constitution).

Quote: "Please have as much fun as you can with this project. Tinkergirl, you r00x0r Grrl."

Pff, what, like the chess piece? Rook'zor? Don't worry about having to keep an eye on this, David - you've got your hands full as is. But it'll be here for you, time/responsibilities allowing.

[edit] Oh, and I forgot - I fixed the bug where a spawning enemy would push you into a wall. Now, bumping into a wall does not count as a move, and enemies won't spawn on top of the player.

Attachments

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 07:25 Edited at: 24th May 2006 07:31
Hi Tinkergirl.

I have an old project which was similar to this one. If you're still active on the code maybe this will help you.

It's a line of sight algorithm I ripped off an open source game called Tyrant (written in Java). Believe it or not I still don't quite understand how it works, but was able to get it working in my engine. This would be used to prevent the player from seeing through walls in your game.

Like I said I never fully figured it out, so it's not commented at all. A couple notes on the code. I never trusted DBPro booleans (maybe from my 1.3 days or something) so I have a #constant of TRUE/FALSE. Also the +6 (or any math involving 6) is the offset between the top left corner cell of the display, and where the guy stands in the middle. Any math with 11 has to do with the display size. 30 has to do with the map array size.

tileView = 11x11 array with visibility flag
map = 30x30 array of tiles 0 = floor 1 = wall

I've attached a screenshot of how it looks. I was also fooling with a lighting system at the time. Anyways, hope this helps.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!

Attachments

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 00:34
Dave/ Tinkergirl,

Has this project been scrapped? I thought it was pretty good and would love to see it continue.

http://www.cafepress.com/blackarrowgames
Check out my great stuff here
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 02:27
personally I think this is on hold.. I got too many other things on my plate right now.

You are free to play with the source code if you so desire Hobgoblin.

Cheers!
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 23:26
I've not been doing much code myself, but if you want to play with the code, and would like anything explained (some of the code may have digressed into voodoo) then just ask Hopefully I'll return to this at some point.

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2006 01:33
i came out of the woodwork to see if this was still happening...
it was cool...
good luck and take care,
bob

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 18:21:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 18:21:11