Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Mech modelling contest, WIP thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 19:59
Sorry for the confusion I was lead to believe that any models uploaded were free to the public when I was working on the model for Wigget's Pirate Compo, he said it'd be up for download to anyone. Alright thats cool then.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 20:04
So far two contest have asked for uploads;

1 - The pirate one - because I think Wigget wanted to pick one for his own use
2 - Futuristic viehcles - As proof of poly count and proof of game use, however there are better ways of proving that.

Also when asked to post models, it is never manditory to do so, unfortunately conjured entertianment thought it was and took a long time explaining things to him in an arguement.

As it is a poly count restricted contest I will expect you guys to prove it, if your entry doesn't contain the proof (unless its obvious that the model doesn't exceed the poly count) then the entry and votes won't count until you do prove it

Yey! I removed the sig...
A Llama called Dalai
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 21:01 Edited at: 20th Apr 2006 03:32
Here's a little bit of an update, added some more weapons and smoothed out certain parts, did a revamp on the main head/passenger compartment too.

<Image removed, dont wana ruin the final release )>

P.S Thanks for clearing things up Musashi

- RUC'

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 21:54
crapola' all i got so far is one leg, i need to get my stuff in turbo mode if i want to enter...
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 01:08
Lol, nice stuff the RUCCUS

A Llama called Dalai
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 04:43 Edited at: 20th Apr 2006 03:32
"the RUCCUS"?

Makin some progress, mostly focussing on adding detail in certain areas since Ive still got like 2000 more polies to play around with. I might model the inside and possibly a pilot, but we'll see.

I was trying to get some smoke effects in there from Max but it kept crashing so, no nifteh effects for now. (I love this clay rendering thing!)

<EDIT>

If people are having a big slow down with loading these pics just give me the word and Ill take them off, they're PNGs so they shouldn't be too bad.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 11:10 Edited at: 18th Apr 2006 11:10
ok heres mine sofar, well as i was making it i thought that it would prolly loose against other mechs so i gave it a cloaking device.

Halowed are the ori.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 12:50
Quote: ""the RUCCUS""

Could swear I type 'r' then 'e' after 'the' oh well, I'll guess I'll call you the RUCCUS from now on

Quote: "well as i was making it i thought that it would prolly loose against other mechs so i gave it a cloaking device."

Is that why we can't see it? Well its a good piece of work, first time I've seen anyone model a mech with a cloaking device

A Llama called Dalai
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 14:19 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 07:31
ok decloaked

Halowed are the ori.

Attachments

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 14:30
Ruccus i LOVE your model!!! Its so chunky you could carve it.

Aust. Convention...get there!! http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=38799&b=2&p=1
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 15:07 Edited at: 18th Apr 2006 15:08
Lookin good darkcoder, thanks greenlig , I uploaded another pic in that post with a vertex-coloured version, just to give an idea of the color scheme Im thinking of.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 15:30
Ah it looks better cloaked, wait I mean uncloaked...

A Llama called Dalai
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 17:50
I forgot about this. Better get started probably will lose to all those cool mech models.

NARUTO IS THE NINJA.....not really

WIP...4 Elements
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 17:52
yea i think you can fit a whole army in the cockpit :p, i think ill work on resizing it, it was small on my drawring(kinda)

Halowed are the ori.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 19:09 Edited at: 18th Apr 2006 19:09
Here's my WIP. Doesn't look much at the moment.

Attachments

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 19:16 Edited at: 20th Apr 2006 03:32
Ok I swear this is my last render until Im ready to submit it, Im addicted to Max's render abilities :-

Now its time to use those 2000 polies I still have left...

<EDIT>

Pincho cant wait to see what that turns into, looks like you're using wings also

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 19:22
Thats some nice work progressing there

A Llama called Dalai
n3om0rph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 21:26 Edited at: 18th Apr 2006 21:29
Newest updates

And now the hardest part - texturing and maybe some fixing...

...or I could leave him like this

Edit: Forgot polies

Polies -> 6572 but will be reduced - I think
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 21:40
Sepp you should come up with some sort of an award/graphic tharepresents this compo, might make it a bit more professional. Plus, if the compo gets really popular people could start putting the awards on pics of their models"Winner of the so and so modelling compo", or something.

Just an idea.

Lookin good so far RAM, looks like he'd have a bit of a hard time balancing though, might want to move the leg stance around a bit. Either way still sleek.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 22:23
Quote: "Sepp you should come up with some sort of an award/graphic tharepresents this compo, might make it a bit more professional. Plus, if the compo gets really popular people could start putting the awards on pics of their models"Winner of the so and so modelling compo", or something."

I am hoping to do something more professional now that its getting bigger with its popularity, I will certianly think on it.

What I was thinking I could do, now that the threads will be stickied, is;

Have a single main header thread the will archive all previous contests, contain the rules and have links to the threads of new contest that will be edited with the requirements of each currently running contests which will link to the entry and wip threads and I guess we could have the last winning entry image shown with credit to the author, and the winners of each contest can be next to its link.
This would mean that replies would be disabled in the main thread (There's no use for them, and we wouldn't want random spam) and I should still be able to edit my own post, if not I will have to rely on the trust of forum members to keep it clean as possible and the handy work of mods to keep it spam free.

A Llama called Dalai
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 01:19
Beast-Zero combat mecha prototype (in DoGA CGA)

DoGA says that its 4500 polys, but then it counts quads as one polygon. For the record, do quads count as one or two polys? I've noticed that DPB internally triangulates all models when they're loaded.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 01:30
well poly's, are polygons and polygons can be triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, hexagons, whatever is a 2 sided shape, however in 3D anything with more than four sides is an ngon, and will not count as a polgon for us, quads and tris, don't matter which.

Nice model by the way

A Llama called Dalai
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 01:37
what? i think it should be tri count, as i could just turn mine into all quads and get 1/2 the count, and plus some modellers dont support polygons.

Halowed are the ori.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Triangles are polygons. The other shapes are made from many triangles, therefore they are many polygons.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 06:11 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 06:17
DirectX supports quads and triangles. There is a difference in the file format in that a quad requires four verts while two triangles forming a quad take six verts. When DBP loads a quad into memory, it converts it into triangles which is why you can get varying poly counts for the exact same model.

Since the goal (in theory) is to create models for use with DBP, my opinion would be that you count the triangles, but its OK to use quads since they make for smaller files.

Given the number of flat surfaces, I figure that I have 9,000 triangles, but that number will go down when I convert it to a mesh and remove some redundant faces.
--
TAZ

[edit for typos]

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 07:32
due to budget cuts, the windows are now alot smaller , and since the engines didnt fit i removed them, and i forgot to reposition the missiles so there kinda floating right now.

Halowed are the ori.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 12:42 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 12:43
That looks good!!! Like the style!!!

n3om0rph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 14:58 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 14:59
Quote: "I am hoping to do something more professional now that its getting bigger with its popularity, I will certianly think on it.

What I was thinking I could do, now that the threads will be stickied, is;

Have a single main header thread the will archive all previous contests, contain the rules and have links to the threads of new contest that will be edited with the requirements of each currently running contests which will link to the entry and wip threads and I guess we could have the last winning entry image shown with credit to the author, and the winners of each contest can be next to its link.
This would mean that replies would be disabled in the main thread (There's no use for them, and we wouldn't want random spam) and I should still be able to edit my own post, if not I will have to rely on the trust of forum members to keep it clean as possible and the handy work of mods to keep it spam free.
"

Musashi or Sepp: then you should be a MOD so you could do all that you said.

ps: When I say MOD, I just think to be a MOD in modelling contest threads
Dark Serpent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 19:01 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 19:10
my wip. (still in the moddeling process.

Join my team, make games for the masses! Go Team Bolt Rocket!!! http://www.freewebs.com/teamboltrocket/
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 19:02
Quote: "Musashi or Sepp: then you should be a MOD so you could do all that you said.

ps: When I say MOD, I just think to be a MOD in modelling contest threads"

Lol the chances of that are slim, and we can work it with out giving me mod powers, even if it was sectioned only to 3d contests, for it to be possible I would need to behave more

@Darkcoder, that looks cool.

As for the tris vers quads issue, make it quads or tris your own choice, high detial, low poly, tris would be more impressive and gain more votes, but theres nothing wrong with quads

A Llama called Dalai
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 19:04
*converts everything to quads* 7k polys here i come!

Halowed are the ori.
n3om0rph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 19:45
Now it's textured - I guess

Polies -> 6572

I would make an UV map for him, but it looks so weird
(see attachment)

Attachments

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 20:54
Nice stuff RAM, @Dark Serpant, I didn't see that one when I last posted, looks pretty damn sweet

A Llama called Dalai
DrReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 20:57 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 21:00
I am not very good with 3D. I plan to make up for lack of modeling with good textures and gameplay. Check out my mech...
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 21:02
Ah what the heck. I've got some free time today, I guess I'll give this a go. I've got a cool design I'd like to get off paper and onto the computer screen anyways.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 21:24
Beast-Zero converted to a game mesh and displayed in DBP. Using my own home brew model viewer that helps me into insure that what I see is what I'll get in the game.

--
TAZ

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 21:40 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 21:42
Nice, good texture, but the teeth and claws could have a slight grey/silverish tint as it is a mech, and not even John Travolta himself could keep his teeth that white

@Bizar guy, I will look forward to it,
I hope some people start getting their entries in now

[edit]
4/5 days to go, and I just realised this ends on the day FFVII: Advent children is supposed to be released in the UK, but I can't trust Amazon's dates ever since they got the date wrong for a couple of System of A Down albums

A Llama called Dalai
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 21:57 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 22:04
The shiney whites are 'actually' hand-to-hand energy weapons. If this critter were in a game like Dungeon Siege, there would be particle generators spawning 'ion' particles from the claws and jaw or a clever developer could have the claws arc with the ground every now and then to clue the viewer into their nature.

For those that care about the other gadgets, the stubby boxes on the left arm are plasma mortars and on the right arm is a twin particle accelerator beam cannon. The two 'tails' on the back are rigid scythes for attacking opponents that sneak up on the unit. The can also be used to flip BZ off of its back and they can be rotated forward to impale jumpers or for a bull-like charge attack.

The pods on the head were going to originally be rocket pods, but the idea of throwing that much smoke and heat in your face would probably blind your sensors. So, I figure they're either sensor pods (whiskers) or covered machine gun clusters for close-in work.
--
TAZ

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 22:21
Kewl, I'm suprise no one has modelled Weapon from FFVII, or was that one left for me??

A Llama called Dalai
Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 23:23
Hehe, sepp, I was actually planning on modeling Ruby or Emerald Weapon from FFVII...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 00:38
lol kewl, lets hope 4 days is enough

A Llama called Dalai
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 00:57
Here's a VERY early wip. The final model will be entirely mechanical with a few smoke stacks, sort of like an "old fashioned" Mech. I'm still not sure how to do the feet, as in my original drawing they were far too complex and hard to model. I'm thinking something like a three pronged foot or something more boot-like would be good.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 01:19
For that steam-punk mecha look, I'd go with boots (perhaps with spurs if it an american civil war era mecha) or that interlaced mechanical feet used in 50 era wind up robots.
--
TAZ

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 01:36
nah, I'm thinking more industrial age mech. I'll try boots first though.

JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 03:28
Early attempt: Bort :

-JerBil

Ad Astra Per Asper

Attachments

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 03:34
Hey, this sounds pretty noobish, but I finally found out how to check how many polys I have, but there are a few things it shows:

polys, edges, faces, tris, and uvs

I'm pretty sure I just check how many polygons i have but i was just confused about like do i add something up, ect. If anyone could clear this up, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 03:37
I think I remember there being some formula like Tris * 3 = Polies, but since it provides you with the polys in your app then just use that number.

Dark Serpent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 04:37
one four sided poly is 2 triangles. Idk in some moddelers u can triangulate. Dependson the moddeler you use.

Join my team, make games for the masses! Go Team Bolt Rocket!!! http://www.freewebs.com/teamboltrocket/
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 08:38
Quote: "I think I remember there being some formula like Tris * 3 = Polies, but since it provides you with the polys in your app then just use that number."

more like any group of connected polys that are on any flat surface, such as the top of a newly made cylinder, each side of the cap would be a poly, which is why im saying this could be unfair.

Halowed are the ori.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 16:41
Well, I'm only counting the faces, but I'm pretty sure I'm still under 7k.

Things are progressing well, and I'm fairly close to finishing the actual modeling stage. I still need to add the engine (steam, I think), and then go back and see if there's anything to change or add. I'm really liking how it's turning out, but I'm not exactly sure what it "does" yet except walk.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 08:40:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 08:40:53