Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Mech modelling contest, WIP thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 17:36 Edited at: 21st Apr 2006 13:30
reminds me of wallace and gromit :p.

anyways heres an update

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3173/ren040cq.jpg
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3342/ren050ee.jpg

Halowed are the ori.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 18:57
oooh some nice progress coming along there peoples

Yey! I removed the sig...
A Llama called Dalai
n3om0rph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 22:31 Edited at: 20th Apr 2006 22:31
Last update before posting it in contest.

Polies -> 6668
I will reduce polies for my entry because I don't have too much time but I hope it will be less then 6000 polies.
Nack
Years of Service
User Offline
yay, finally got time to start another mech one. Dun think ill finish before the deadline though.....oh well lol
Its head so far

Nack

DC got a name change.....^^...more info soon =]
Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 05:25
Sadly don't think this will be textured, so there's not much chance in me winning. But here's my WIP.

(Heh, sorry sepp, this kinda just happened, didn't do Ruby or Emerald )

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 05:39 Edited at: 21st Apr 2006 05:46
Almost done- not much left to do but the texturing, although I do want to add a hand crank or two.

My mech will pwn all of your mechs with its uber gatling gun.

Edit: Nack, I LOVE your sig.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 13:31
adding a skin

Halowed are the ori.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Good skin! I like the seat.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 18:00 Edited at: 21st Apr 2006 18:01
Impressive. Most impressive.
Mine could have all of yours though.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 19:28
Nice models guys. You know what would be crazy? Like a full render battle scene of all our mechs fighting each other. I've got a lot of time this weekend. Would anyone be interested in that?

P.S. I know people may be like, 'no you might steal my model' but idk... just a thought

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 19:32
well i would, but you know modelling the rubble for everyone elses mech`s would be such a pain.

Halowed are the ori.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 20:26
Quote: "P.S. I know people may be like, 'no you might steal my model' but idk... just a thought"

If they thought that, they would be foolish, if you were too, then you wouldn't be much of a 3D modeller, it would be a nice thing to see with a mech battle, if you're willing enought to do it

A Llama called Dalai
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 21:38
Quote: "well i would, but you know modelling the rubble for everyone elses mech`s would be such a pain.
"

lol

Ok so anyway, I've got plenty of time this weekend so if anyone wants me to put theirs in the scene, i guess just put a zip or rar or something to download here, or if you want to send it to my email, it's crydrk@sbcglobal.net. Oh, and if you can put it in wavefront object form (.obj) it would make life easier for me. Really looking forward to this guys.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 22:59
It's a nifty cool idea, but most of the models are not rigged for posing/animation so a battle scene would be quite difficult to create.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 23:07 Edited at: 21st Apr 2006 23:08
Or even better; one of us could throw together a simple online battle game, and we all use our own mechs to battle with. I probably couldnt get it done by this weekend as Ive got a wedding to go to but Im free next weekend to try and make something, maybe.

<EDIT>

Ofcourse, you'd all have to send in some sort of bonus features for your mechs so they could stand up to mine...

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 23:09
Quote: "It's a nifty cool idea, but most of the models are not rigged for posing/animation so a battle scene would be quite difficult to create."

true...

@Ruccus: Great idea

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 00:03
Kewl
RUCCUS that is a good idea, it would be interesting to see some of the entries be included into a game, perhaps you could use further entries to further contests into the game

A Llama called Dalai
Nack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 00:19 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2006 01:14
@Bizar Guy: Thank you!! ^^

Update:

I think the render of battle scene would be hard enuf since someone already mentioned about the rigging part. If someone is willing to rig them all (which takes a long time and hard to do lol), it wouldnt be hard to make it into a game, great idea ruccus! lol

Nack

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 01:25
Nice

A Llama called Dalai
Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 02:10
Hmm...maybe the next contest wouldn't have to be a contest at all? We could just pull together everyone to make a scene(genre selected by the winner of this event), and have people some in, and sign up for what model they'd like to create(model's required/poses required selected by winner of this event as well). Just a thought. Would surely take the contest thing a little further.

[although, after the scene would be done, the contests are too much fun to replace, this would be a one time neato thing for people to do]

Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 02:17
My final entry:

I posted here, because it is not definitely my final entry. I'm actually wondering, since I didn't UV Wrap it and actually apply a texture to the object, but instead used a paint program to Emboss Imbo it to make it look pretty, is that against the rules?

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 03:03
I was thinking about how the game could be made to be fair. Basically nobody would have to download all of the models as model files, but instead when a user connects a memblock of information of each model is sent to each client and that creates the model. As far as fairness of weapons go (seeing as pretty much anyone could just say "This is my uber schweet noob-taker-outer gun that kills everyone"), there'd need to be a system that based the damage, speed, and other specifications based on a few formulas calculating the object's mass, firepower (based on the size of engine), etc. Ofcourse there'd need to be guidelines set as to how big of an engine you'd be allowed to have, but if a strong base of rules was worked out then staging a battle could actually work. Ofcourse the winner would not be soley based on how strong their mech is, it's up to the user's skill as well; their aim, adgility, ability to hide/sneek up on opponents, etc.

Actually, this could transform into an insane type of a game if instead of having people model their mechs (since only devs and modelers can pretty much do that), a lego-like system (but with better looking/more functional blocks) could be added allowing people to create/upgrade their mechs to their choices...

Hmm... This could be my next big project... maybe...

Entries lookin good, just a question, would we be allowed to, for the final entry, submit a second rendered scene of our own with our character and other 3D models (so for instance in a city)? This would surely increase the polycount over all so I can see how that wouldnt be fair, but then again its only the mech's polys that are currently being taken under concideration.

- RUC'

Nack
Years of Service
User Offline
New update:

Quote: "
Entries lookin good, just a question, would we be allowed to, for the final entry, submit a second rendered scene of our own with our character and other 3D models (so for instance in a city)?"

This would be a good idea, dun think it will be against the rules.
wow....havent have this much fun modeling in years....XD

Nack

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 04:29
Quote: "Hmm... This could be my next big project... maybe..."

If you do, I'd love to help

@Nack: Nice progress

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 05:04
, I was starting to think I had a chance at winning but jeeze, these entries are getting better and better. Guess Im going to have to work on the model a bit more then.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 05:56
@RUCCUS, you are all programmers. I would believe, if you really wanted to, you could save that memblock.

Just as a note, the problem with calculated stats is that in the end run, they are allways unballanced. The simple formula (DPS*HEALTH*SPEED) gives you a slightly accurate way of calculating 'fairness' but there are numerious occasions which would put this formula to waste... and DPS isn't everything.

Lets say you have the "uber schweet noob-taker-outer gun", that rationally fires .2RPS, and there is a guy running around you firing a gun that has 20RPS, even if his gun is ballanced to yours, he will still win due to percent hit, you basically have to wait for your gun to 'charge' and then fire when he is EXACTALLY infront of you, depending on how fast he can move, it can be very hard. The weapon IS ballanced mathematically, but its uses on the field are very limited.

So even though the battle will be cool, the shere trouble there will be with how things are ballanced makes it feel like it would be better to resort to a points system, and let them ballance their own mechs.

Besides that, Dark Coder would own you all, his mech has camo.

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 08:22
i fail to see why not, all super guns would take up more energy to fire and the projectiles would be slow, so its all fair, only chainguns will move very fast, so that makes it all fair straight away.

and my mech has a cloak :p and underside exausts to burn people.

and i could code it but i think i really should be coding my other game, i dunno if someone could post another model i could attempt something, as its not that hard to code some basic multiplayer shooting stuff and would give me more practice on my current project , but i really cant be bothered to code any login systems or security measures.

Halowed are the ori.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 11:34
Quote: "Entries lookin good, just a question, would we be allowed to, for the final entry, submit a second rendered scene of our own with our character and other 3D models (so for instance in a city)? This would surely increase the polycount over all so I can see how that wouldnt be fair"

People are judging on the modells themselves, anything you want to add in the background would look great, it won't (Or at least shouldn't) change your chance in winning, however you are welcome to do so.

A Llama called Dalai
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 13:37
, shouldn't being the keyword here.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 14:22
but we all know it usually does :p.

Halowed are the ori.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Haven't had time to do mine with my daughter on holiday from school.

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 18:59
Quote: "wow....havent have this much fun modeling in years....XD"

Heckno do good picking Mech(a) compo, Heckno should win more *grunt*
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 19:22
Heckno do good picking Mech(a) compo, Heckno should win more *grunt*"

You know the solution, either - Work really hard and impress everybody with an uber model...or...
Very simply bribe as much of the community as you can, if you can't afford it, blackmail works just as well

A Llama called Dalai
Joey Bondage
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey 'yall. Some niiice look'n mechas 'yall got going on up in heree/ i might hook 'yall up witth a model yo. i'll make one. it'lll be awezome!

oh and cory checki it outz man! im back. howz yer break?

I know why Superman left Krypton. Earth was the only place he could get steroids!
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 21:33
Wow...

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 21:36
Oh come on David. You know it's spelled CorEy. I'll be interested to see what you come up with And dude, don't start talking all... you know, like you do.

...sometimes I regret signing you up here

Joey Bondage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 22:02 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2006 22:02
Why the shizzle would you regretizzle signin' me up-izzle?

ohkay ohkay ill stop. but for real cory i made like the best mecha ever. see, all it haz 2 do is smash other mechas to bits and pecis

see im a intellectual, 4get da guns, and i paentid it green for the enviroment

I know why Superman left Krypton. Earth was the only place he could get steroids!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 22:25
Quote: "People are judging on the modells themselves, anything you want to add in the background would look great, it won't (Or at least shouldn't) change your chance in winning, however you are welcome to do so."

Heckno said that the entries should be judged by Model Quality and Texture. And the way I did mine, was quite technically not a texture. It's not just the background that I did like that, the image was a snapshot of the untextured model, and by Embossing it in the way I did, it makes the appearance of the texture without...well...the texture.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 22:47
I will now de-sticky this post and re-sticky the entry thread.

If you want Musashi, you can create another thread that has all the entry threads and wip threads, and then the current competition. This could be sort of like an archive, and that way people will always no where to look.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Nack
Years of Service
User Offline
Update:

really wondering now if i can make it in time....lol

Nack

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 23:46
If you want Musashi, you can create another thread that has all the entry threads and wip threads, and then the current competition. This could be sort of like an archive, and that way people will always no where to look."

Yeah I'll do that during some point tomorrow, I've only got this net time for a few moments.

Quote: "Heckno said that the entries should be judged by Model Quality and Texture. "

I meant my comment in the context of anything that is made that is part of the model isn't significant to voting. But thanks for pointing out my lack of clarity.

These entries are looking really good.

As Mike S said, he has stickied the entry thread now, remember...

***YOU ONLY HAVE UNTIL MONDAY TO GET ALL ENTRIES IN*** If anyone has missed their entry, if I catch time on monday to search all this thread for entries, I will for any last entries, however that will mean somr may be missed (As I announced in geek culture nature of how busy I am leaves me only to this contest), don't take the risk of not posting in time

A Llama called Dalai

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-27 09:55:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-27 09:55:51