Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / The Future (This concerns everyone here.)

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 21:44
I agree...and just looking in the Showcase forum can give you a headache.I hope the contest will evolve over time.
As far as making a level just for this competition goes for some of us that might be difficult.Time restraints or the project we are working on,etc. might prevent that.Maybe the next contest will be something radically different.I have to give Zaku credit for trying.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 22:20
I'll tell you what; you guys let me know when you've got it figured out.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 23:00
I dont really think contests or competitions really make much difference to those who endeavour to push the limits and exceed the norm.

There wil be always those who will do so and for others generally the quality of things produced with FPSC overall will improve in line with FPSC develpment.

Its early days yet - there are better things to come.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 23:41
Quote: "Its early days yet - there are better things to come."

Wow, even better things to come, it so good already!

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 01:41
Actually, most other places do this kind of thing all the time with quite a few people getting involved every time. Some sites have a GID (Game in a Day), some have a GIW (Game in a Week), but anywhere you see serious game makers - or even semi-serious - you see people getting involved. Not only does it offer the opportunity to show off their skills, but it forces people to push those skills.

Competition is used to draw people farther into the community while demonstrating the capabilities of the software to new and potential customers. It also forces people to push the limits of their own capabilities (yes I know I said that twice).

To me, someone new reading this thread wouldn't see a community as much as a bunch of people in the same place who can't agree on anything. I'm not saying that when one person has an idea everyone should jump on the bandwagon without questions, but it seems the only time I see lots of users getting together on something here is to slam somebody or stick up for someone who is being slammed. Not everyone can get into something like this because of time constraints or other issues, but I see a number of people posting here explaining why this isn't such a good idea.

Go back over all the threads on the first two pages of any FPSC board, and compare them with the DBP boards. Comparatively, how many useful or informative posts, how many posts that offer real help and advice to other users, how many posts that show real productivity with the software.

Sorry for the rant in your thread, ZAKU, I'll back out again and leave everyone to their own thing.

Sarcasm, just one more service I have to offer...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 01:55
The 3D Chat forum has a compo and it appears to be quite successful.

We could do a game-in-a-day thing...it would be like the 20 line challenge.People could make something really quick and post it.
Maybe the games won't win awards but it would be a good form of expression and it would give everyone some new ideas.Maybe it ought to be a game-in-a-week but I like the idea.
Just One Old Man is right.We need to work together as a communtiy and support each other.He is also right about the DBPro forums.
Go check them out.That is a whole other ball game and maybe something we sould aspire to.
It is good that we could discuss the pros and cons,etc. without resorting to flaming or name calling.It shows we have the potential to improve this forum.

FLa
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 02:06
Just One Old Man,

Not seen you here much of late. How are you?

Many users I am sure would agree with much of what you say.

I would not agree with the last paragraph entirely.

There are a lot of helpful users and helpful posts here and as far as the productivity goes - not quite sure what you mean by that exactly - theres plenty of productivity - it seems.

If you mean completed games or games of high quality - then there arnt many of those produced by any indie engine and this is FPSC not any other.

If it was that easy there would be more of them all around.

I dont get to spend much time at the other DB forums but if anyone wants to point me towards any great First Person Shooter game completed with any TGC product or other indie engine I would be really pleased to see something of it.

I get around and have been around some other engine forums for many years as I own other engines as you know and all have some really good enviable developments shown from time to time. Few however become complete games.

FPSC cannot be expected to be any different in that respect. No doubt there will be some good stuff coming from users here and maybe some good completed games long term.

Its the nature of indie engines currently that there will be few major games or titles produced - however I do see here, a lot of help to users with their game making additional to whatever TGC have supplied.

There are areas of the forum and developments here by forum members which are a credit to them. Good on you. Well done and keep it up.

The bad parts well thats another matter.

Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 02:32
Uman,

Good to see you. I've noticed you hanging out in a few other threads and thought about saying hello, but didn't want to hijack somebody's thread.

Actually, I'm glad to see you present your view of things and get some productive chatter going. One of the things I think is most productive is the presentation of different points of view, eventually culminating in a concise, practical summary of the current situation.

Very often in a topic like this the best people can hope for is an agreement to disagree. In this case, some see these forums as being everything they need to be, whereas I always hope to see them improve to the point that the TGC people will feel more like getting involved here. To me that would be a sign that these forums are worth visiting (by the TGC people) and we have evolved into a productive FPSC "society".

I drop by the DBP forums from time to time and actually see Rich and Lee actively involved. Granted, DBP is their flagship product, but still......

Anyway, you know I don't argue, just present opinions, and I was glad to have the chance to say Howdy again. I've been keeping an eye on your stuff, always impressive. Hope we have a chance to talk again soon when not hijacking someone's thread. Later...

/JOOM

ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Guys,We're all missing the point here as far as custom vs stock models go.
I never said that ONLY stock moidels were allowed,I said commercially unrestricted,in other words no moidels taken from HL etc.The reason for this was to ensure that everyone has an equal chance.
Also by restricing the level to WWll,I was not trying to discourage anyone working on another theme,but rather to encourage them to spend a couple of extra hours on a level especially for this.
Thanks for all the support though.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 11:10
I have a level I would like to enter the contest.I had forgotten about it until recently.Let me know the details on where to upload it,etc.
Sorry about the misunderstanding.

FLa
Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 19:15
ZAKU, it still sounds like a good idea to me. You don't have an email listed, so if you could PM me at the "other" forums I can work with you on getting things set up.

ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
One,
What other forums,wait.......
Here's my addy:

Johnathan@Nanotech.co.za
(Antispammer locked and loaded)
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 16:42
Zaku, click on the Old Man's Siggy.

-Keith

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 17:13
I need clarification.Can we use models and resources that we bought as long as we have a license to use them in FPSC?For example,the model packs.The other question is that is there any way you can extend the time we have to enter our levels?You have Monday down as the last day we can enter a level for the competition and I still am not quite sure where to upload my level to.If you could give me that info I would appreciate it.Thanks.

FLa
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 17:26
I think once we all agree on what the competition's requirements are, we should start up one more (final)thread; then set a new timeline for it.

-Keith

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 17:29
I just think Monday is a little soon for the deadline but that's just me.

FLa
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 17:35
Yeah, that is a bit of a stretch. Some people already have levels done that they can enter. But that wouldn't be fair to those that have been waiting for the actual guidlines to be put forth. I actually think that the end of the month would be better; after that we could maybe go once every 2 weeks.

-Keith

Mallex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 09:49
That's why i didn't get torque too, the lack of models.
The "orc" one that comes with the software is really a masterpiece but they still could have made a human, orc vs orc fights aren't as fun as human vs orc fights.
Mallex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 09:52
That's why i didn't get Torque, too! The "orc" model that comes with the software are truly a masterpiece but the still could make a human to match the orc.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 19:18:35
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 19:18:35