Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 13:36
Pwnage to the next level!

http://www.milkpaton.com/
http://phoenixophelia.com
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 18:09
Apologies if I've missed one, and I know you are working on "IntelliSense", but one thing I miss is the command parameters on a statusbar. It's good to see what parameters are expected from the command you are currently typing.

Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 23:39
Quote: "Apologies if I've missed one, and I know you are working on "IntelliSense", but one thing I miss is the command parameters on a statusbar. It's good to see what parameters are expected from the command you are currently typing."

I agree. Especially as I do not know some of the new command parameters with eXtends, DAI, or DP, it would be nice for that, or just plain forgetting parameters. That's always been a top feature I loved =)

thedubdude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 06:55
Well I just downloaded CodeSurge...I didn't see support for bookmarks anywhere...sigh. Bookmarks are incredibly useful for debugging code. You find a place in the code to focus or change, you set a book mark....you move on to some other piece of related code you set a different bookmark...you modify a section you set a third bookmark ...you jump back to the first bookmark and so on. Wihtout this feature I won't be using CodeSurge. Too bad.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 07:01
Quote: ""Open regedit and Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE and add a key called "Dark Basic". Then create a subkey called "Dark Basic Pro" and add string value to it named "INSTALL-PATH". Set the value of "INSTALL-PATH" to your DBP install path (something like "C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional") Make sure you don't put a backslash on the end of the path. That should fix that problem for you.""

I was hoping that it wouldn't be as something as monumentally user unfriendly as that. Deleting....
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 07:09
Book Marks

Quote: "
Quote: "why not add a book marking like the C++ IDEs have?"

It's actually there, just not documented yet. You can add a bookmark on any line by pressing ctrl + shift + [number 0-9]. You can then jump to these bookmarks by pressing ctrl+[bookmark number]
I'll add some commands into the right click menu so you can more easily do it.
"

That was from July 16th.
[/quote]

In Memory of My Dad.
I miss you very much.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 11:02
Quote: "I was hoping that it wouldn't be as something as monumentally user unfriendly as that. Deleting...."

Deleting CodeSurge? That's crazy. It works on almost everyone's computer. The RegEdit thing is for those few people that have a different DBP path. The editor is definitely worth the trouble of creating one registry key.

Come see the WIP!
Euphoria
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 11:50 Edited at: 5th Aug 2006 11:51
I agree with cash, thats a rediculous reason to not use this.
Running on an assumption here but I would imagine its only this way because it is W.I.P. and an installer could handle the registry insert (for the minority few that it is needed for) once its ready for release.

If your looking for a finished product then perhaps the W.I.P is the wrong place to look?

hyrichter has done some great work here and its your loss if you can't be bothered to spend 40 seconds creating a registry key.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 14:34
Quote: "I was hoping that it wouldn't be as something as monumentally user unfriendly as that. Deleting...."

I'm really puzzled as to why some people don't have the correct registry key for the install path. I can understand if they just copied their DBP folder from another computer, but other than that the install path should be there in the registry. I wonder if the DBP installer just doesn't always work or something. Whatever the cause, I definitely see the need get an option in there to let you manually add the DBP path.

Quote: "but one thing I miss is the command parameters on a statusbar. It's good to see what parameters are expected from the command you are currently typing."

I'm working on it. I promise, I really am. It's just that parsing these multi-word keywords is a real PITA.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
Farooqaaa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 17:49
Downloading will review later.

-----------------------
I will be a good Game Programmer soon!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 12:53 Edited at: 7th Aug 2006 12:57
Quote: "I'm really puzzled as to why some people don't have the correct registry key for the install path"

Even though it's a licensed, stable, commercial product, some employers don't like it on your laptop. The install path is a quick way to check installed products, so some of us choose to delete it

Maybe a solution is to "Search for Darkbasic" if the key isn't there, and put it in your ini file.

[EDIT] removed info about non-existent issue

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 13:00
The error pane in the compiler progress window could do with being scrollable Sometimes, the error is longer than the size of the panel.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 08:47
I don't know if someone already suggested it or not, but why not having a "templates" option like Dev-C++ has? What i mean is, if you go to create a new project, you can have a template done already (With what media is already loaded, and what the beggining source has). So like, if someone made an engine, they could choose their engine from the templates, and then load that. Or, if someone (like myself) had made a GUI that can be used, but needs some "templated" code and functions (As well as images), to be there when starting the project, it would be a nice feature to have.

Keep up the good work!

Bob da reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm now coding everything in Codesurge, i've recompiled all of my old projects ranging from version 5.8 to 6.2 and there's been no flaws. On my Pc it highlighted 10,000 lines of code in less then 3 seconds thankyou hyrichter for this brilliant IDE

I pwn n00bs - current project "Darkness Falls"
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 00:27
The best

Small, powerful, well-tested, fast and compatable
When you add in the status bar parameters, I'll definitely change to codesurge. I'm still using the default IDE

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 01:03
You should just change now. Wait until the default IDE eats some of your code, then you'll be pissed.

The default IDE is also much clumsier than CodeSurge. I feel like my hands are covered in Play-dough when I'm coding in it. I know what I'm trying to do, but I can't quite do it fast enough. Can't quite move around fast enough... And CodeSurge's error reporting is the best in any IDE yet.

Come see the WIP!
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 13:53
Yup, Codesurge is the one and only!

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 14:15 Edited at: 10th Aug 2006 21:23
This should be easy to add in, but at the moment, there isn't a button to compile only. You have to go compile >> compile only to do it.

Also, how many undos can it do? And what does that smart tabs option do?

I really like the fact that it doesn't delete spaces when you click on another line, and that it keeps the boxes ticked when you revisit options (default ide unticks all options).

edit:
One more question, is there a way to set the default folder when opening projects?

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 10:49
It's update day again. Try this out and be astounded once again.
The feature you've all been waiting for is now here. The IDE shows tooltip parameters (like Visual Studio(or Delphi, in my case)) for all DBP functions and commands, 3rd party commands(if you have the keywords file in your DBP folder), and also all your own DBP functions. Ctrl+shift+space is the keyboard shortcut if you click in the middle of a function and want to see its parameters.
Context sensitive help added.
Fixed cut/copy/paste bug when not focused on IDE.
Fixed copy/paste bug with help explorer.
The Project Explorer is no longer one letter behind when you type in your project's name in the project manager.
That's all I remember right now as it is 1:33 a.m.

Known issues:
If for some reason you don't have a registry entry for DBP's install path, you have to add it yourself.
Functions that are inside of remstart/remend blocks show up in the code explorer.
Function tooltips show up inside of comments.

Anyway, please try it out and let me know if it works, if it doesn't, your suggestions, etc.

Quote: "Even though it's a licensed, stable, commercial product, some employers don't like it on your laptop. The install path is a quick way to check installed products, so some of us choose to delete it"

An excellent thought there. I never even thought about it, but that makes perfect sense.

Quote: "The error pane in the compiler progress window could do with being scrollable Sometimes, the error is longer than the size of the panel."

I thought I had given plenty of room. What sort of an error message are you getting? Still a good idea, though, as you can never really be sure how long an error message might be.

Quote: "I don't know if someone already suggested it or not, but why not having a "templates" option like Dev-C++ has?"

Maybe someday, but for now, you could just save a few .dba files as your templates and use file->open to use them.
Quote: "This should be easy to add in, but at the moment, there isn't a button to compile only. You have to go compile >> compile only to do it."

Or just press ctrl+F5 I suppose a toolbutton would be nice, but I don't want to get the toolbar too cluttered up.
Quote: "Also, how many undos can it do? And what does that smart tabs option do?"

The undo level is set to 1024 right now. That should give you plenty of room to screw up.
I personally don't like smart tabs, but it's just there. It indents to whatever the length of the word on the previous line is, if that makes any sense. Just try it and see. I personally find it annoying.
Quote: "One more question, is there a way to set the default folder when opening projects?"

Umm, yeah. The IDE remembers whatever folder you last opened a project from.

Wow, lot's of questions and answers. Have fun.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 11:14
Quote: "Or just press ctrl+F5 I suppose a toolbutton would be nice, but I don't want to get the toolbar too cluttered up."

You should take a look at my GameDeveloper thread (There's a link on my sig), look at the screenshots and at the toolbar, that's what I did to keep things from getting cluttered up, and keeping them organised. You might be interested in trying something like that, though, i dont know if that's possible in delphi, or how you envision your program. To save you the time, i'll post a shot here...

BTW, i tried downloading codesurge 2-3 times, and each time the download finished, WinAce keeps saying that the zip file is either damaged or incomplete. I'll check it with 7Zip though, then i'll install a demo of WinZip, and see which one worked.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 11:27
Awesome update! I really like it! Works just fine here

And finally we got the tooltip parameter feature! And I really like the way it's been made. Well done!

Cheers.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 11:30
Very, very awesome It just gets better and better.

You know what I would sure like though? Instead of having to press CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE to see command and function parameters, if they were just displayed automatically on a little status bar at the bottom of the screen.

Come see the WIP!
Glenn Carter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 11:30
Much better. Some good improvements, although, personally speaking I'd prefer the tooltip params to be automatic rather than having to press the CTRL-SHIFT-SPACE arrangement - in fact I've always prefered the concept of having the command and params tips to appear in a status bar at the bottom, like in the official editor.

Its getting much closer to a really useful IDE, though, and good work on all of this.

Glenn Carter
Glenn Carter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 11:32
We must have been typing at the same time CC -

I concur with CC a status line command and parameter tip would be grand.

Glenn Carter
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 11:33 Edited at: 11th Aug 2006 11:34
Quote: "You know what I would sure like though? Instead of having to press CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE to see command and function parameters, if they were just displayed automatically on a little status bar at the bottom of the screen."

Doesn't they show up automatically? Atleast they do here. When you write a command there pops up a box with all the parameters in right under the command. It doesn't use a status bar though.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean though.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 12:07 Edited at: 11th Aug 2006 14:29
When you open something, save it and close Codesurge, it doesn't remember the last folder! It only remembers if you don't close codesurge before opening another thing. If that's how it is, couldn't you store the path inside the ini file?

Apart from that, it's still excellent!

edit:
also, memblock dword() comes up with a box telling you the range of a dword is.

edit2:
if you click somewhere else, the yellow box stays where it was before you clicked. It only disappears when you move the cursor with the keyboard.

edit3:
move camera does not show a yellow box, and if you press F1, it doesn't take you to its help file

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 13:15
Quote: "I thought I had given plenty of room. What sort of an error message are you getting? Still a good idea, though, as you can never really be sure how long an error message might be."

It can get quite long if you have conflicting DLLs, for example. It's only a temporary issue, but it means you have to fix each problem so you can see the next.

Fantastic new updates!!!

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 15:11
Ah, I see what's going on. If you're typing the command you get the parameters. CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE is for seeing the parameters if you're not typing the command.

I still think that a statusbar might be nice

Come see the WIP!
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 15:44
Great job, hyrichter! From now on I'll be using CodeSurge instead of the official IDE. The new context sensitive help and the tooltip parameters finally made me do the switch. But I agree with Cash, the tooltips are very nice at their current state, but still that statusbar would be even better IMHO.

But all in all, this is by far the best IDE out there!

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 15:49 Edited at: 11th Aug 2006 15:51
Quote: "When you open something, save it and close Codesurge, it doesn't remember the last folder! It only remembers if you don't close codesurge before opening another thing."

That's not how it is here. It's always remembered for me. What OS are you using? It might also be something related to user permissions and the registry. Not sure though, as no one else has ever mentioned this problem. All I know is that I can't get it to not work for me.
Quote: "if you click somewhere else, the yellow box stays where it was before you clicked. It only disappears when you move the cursor with the keyboard.
"

Woops! Can't believe I didn't catch that. It was very easily fixed.
Quote: "move camera does not show a yellow box, and if you press F1, it doesn't take you to its help file
"

I think either your entire computer or at least your DBP folder are rather screwed up. Move Camera works here:

I think you ought to try reinstalling update 6.2b and see if that fixes your keyword files. If not, I'll just upload my keyword files and you can use those.

Quote: "I still think that a statusbar might be nice"

You'll be getting one soon.

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 16:07 Edited at: 11th Aug 2006 16:10
wow this sounds really great, good job!

i found something that you probably allready know about, but i couldn't see you or somebody else posted it:

however it's not something that you have to fix just for me, i think that this minor bug isn't anything to worry about so again good job on this.

Attachments

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 16:28
Ah, crap. Thanks for pointing that out, though, Lukas W. It's happening because my parser is getting confused with the "center text" command. Center Text is a command, and Text is also a command, so it gets a little confused. I thought I had all these problems worked, out, but apparently not. I'll try to have this fixed within the next day.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 18:46
Getting alot better , i like it as it is, but making the shortcut to display the syntax to just 'ctrl' would be alot easier, and i hope your planning to add array/variable/udt highlighting .

Hallowed are the ori.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 20:41
You know what would be really nice? A "Refresh" button for the Code Explorer. Switching between includes, it doesn't always refresh. It seems to take an indeterminate amount of time to do so. If I could refresh all of the functions, labels, and types, it would be great

Come see the WIP!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:07
This is really great

What is "Card Options Window" in the project display though? I didn't seem to notice and diffrence with it when I compile the game

This will really help some of my bigger projects, especially since you guys say it goes to the correct error even in an included file.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:53
This am de best ting since me grandpa took a knife to a loaf of bread and sliced it. Tooltips on commands is fantastic.

GTW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 01:11
..just wanted to stop by and thank you for creating this incredible IDE, i use it now instead of Synergy and associated all my DBPro Files to it.

And it even works now with entering a command and then press F1
and you get the help on this command. Before this i used to code
in CodeSurge and when i needed some help for a command i used to
open up the built-in IDE, typed the command again and then pressed F1, now i don't need to do this anymore cause its all implemented
in CS, thanks a gazillion for your awesome job here!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 01:36
Quote: "What is "Card Options Window" in the project display though?"

I honestly don't know. It was just one of the modes the DBP compiler had, so I put it in my IDE. I have no idea what it's actually for though.

Quote: "You know what would be really nice? A "Refresh" button for the Code Explorer. Switching between includes, it doesn't always refresh. It seems to take an indeterminate amount of time to do so."

I'll have to look into that. It's supposed to refresh whenever you switch files. The most sure-fire way to make it refresh is to just start typing.
Quote: "i like it as it is, but making the shortcut to display the syntax to just 'ctrl' would be alot easier"

Someday, you'll have an option to set your own shortcuts. Ctrl + Shift + Space is the standard for other IDEs I've used(Visual Studio, Delphi, Rapid PHP, PHP Designer), so that's what I used.
Quote: "This am de best ting since me grandpa took a knife to a loaf of bread and sliced it. Tooltips on commands is fantastic."

LOL! Glad you like it, though. Did you notice it works for embedded functions as well?

H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 02:18
Wow, this is amazing!!! One thing I noticed, though, is that I can only have one help window open at a time. Is it possible to change that to have multiple windows open at once?

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those that don't.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 12:07
This is very cool. I just purchased Dark Physics, and the original DBP IDE doesn't have syntax highlighting for the new commands. I thought I installed DP wrong, so I tried CodeSurge and they work perfectly right off the bat.

5 gold stars!

"I understand creative people. After all, I worked with towel designers." - Ray Kassar, former head of Atari
Euphoria
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 12:23
This is fantastic stuff hyrichter, what was already good is now even better

Keep up the good work!

PS. No biggie but 'SYNC RATE' brings up no parameters in the tooltip.
ZKAT8IT
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, thought you should know it doesn't save my Tab Width option. I have to keep changing it from 4 to 3 everytime I start the IDE.

Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 14:34
When you change the margin colour, then press ok, it doesn't keep the colour change for me, at all.

Other than that i can't see anything else wrong with it.

Nice one
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 16:09
I swear my program compiles considerably faster with CodeSurge. I haven't timed it, but my compile breaks aren't nearly as long now. At 12k lines, it takes longer to initialize than to compile

Come see the WIP!
ZKAT8IT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 06:32 Edited at: 13th Aug 2006 06:48
Found another bug. I loaded a project that had media included and your Project Explorer had all of the included media listed twice. So I went to remove the duplicates, but when I removed one of the duplicate entries, it removed both of the entries for that file.

[Edit] I've narrowed down the bug. It doesn't remove the duplicate, whenever you remove an entry from the Project Explorer, it also removes the entry below it.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 06:51
I had the same thing happen to me. When I re-added the files, everything seemed to work correctly, so I didn't give it much thought.

Come see the WIP!
ThinkDigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 07:17
I think it's really cool how it highlights the parameter that you're currently on. The Original IDE got rid of the status bar after you typed the first parameter.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 07:58
Quote: "Found another bug. I loaded a project that had media included and your Project Explorer had all of the included media listed twice...."

Thanks for pointing out that bug. I'm surprised no one mentioned it before. It was very very simple to fix. Just a simple duplication was all. I promise I'll have you an update that fixes this and the few quirks with the tooltips within the next 12 hours.

Quote: "I swear my program compiles considerably faster with CodeSurge. I haven't timed it, but my compile breaks aren't nearly as long now."

I think it's just because you see the line numbers moving so fast. I compiled the open source FPS in CodeSurge and the default IDE. Both took 50 seconds from the time I hit compile until the exe was created.

Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 13:35
Collapsable in-code functions would be good, just to sort that and make it neater, like the default IDE has... I liked that feature a lot. This IDE has definitely stolen my heart =) great job.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 18:33 Edited at: 13th Aug 2006 18:52
Hey guys, here's the promised update. Here's the list of fixes:
Fixed the duplicate media bug.
Fixed bug with certain keywords like Sync Rate not showing the proper parameters.
Clicking somewhere else in the editor will now hide the parameter tooltip.
Switching between includes instantly updates the code explorer.
Now saves your tab width preferences.

Try it out please and let me know if there are any issues.

Quote: "When you change the margin colour, then press ok, it doesn't keep the colour change for me, at all."

Strange...It changes it for me. Anyone else have this problem? If you're selecting a custom color, make sure that the color slider on the right isn't on white. You have to slide it up or down to get the shade you want.

Quote: "Collapsable in-code functions would be good, just to sort that and make it neater, like the default IDE has... I liked that feature a lot."

Code folding is way down on the list right now, mainly because the editor control I'm using doesn't natively support it, and because I also don't care that much about it. However, if enough people scream at me that they need it, I'll try to figure it out.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 23:30:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 23:30:23