Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 00:51
Quote: "Odd. I thought I had it doing that. I probably broke it when I fixed something else. Such is the life of software programming."

Hehe... Indeed

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 01:04
I checked and if you don't save and then compile your projet it do include the changes, just like it should do.

The Nerd:
Make sure you have the latest version installed

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 01:11 Edited at: 20th Aug 2006 01:12
Quote: "I checked and if you don't save and then compile your projet it do include the changes, just like it should do.

The Nerd:
Make sure you have the latest version installed"

That's very odd... I was certain that I had the latest version! But I downloaded again and this time it works just as it should

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 01:16
hyrichter:
Here's another feature for you to add I quite often have to delete empty lines with a lot of tabs and it would be really neat if SHIFT+BACKSPACE deleted all tabs in one go if there's nothing but tabs to the left.

And you could add a similar feature to DEL, that is SHIFT+DEL deletes all tabs and spaces to the right. Sometimes I convert multiple lines into a single line and since these lines have loads of spaces it would be nice to just having to press once.

Looking forward to your next update no mater what features are included

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 01:17
Quote: "That's very odd... I was certain that I had the latest version! But I downloaded again and this time it works just as it should"

I did that myself earlier

Euphoria
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 12:54
Not sure if its already there but could you put a version number for codesurge somwhere? maybe the help menu, just so its easy to know if you have the latest version or not.

many thanks.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 18:56
Actually, even if you don't have a function called sound(), these lines will not be highlighted correctly:

the 'as' is not highlighted

There, the 'as' is highlighted

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.
ZKAT8IT
Years of Service
User Offline
Diggsey: I used to think the problem was just things not highlighting after X, Y, Z. But since you encountered the problem with sound and animation I did some experimenting. It seems that any command typed after a word that is in another command will not highlight.

Examples:

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 07:38
Hmmm, very interesting syntax highlighting bug you guys have found. It looks like I'm going to have to once again dig back into the syntax highlighting code and see what I can do to fix it. Unfortunately, my time is very limited right now, and I have other deadlines I have to meet.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 08:30
The highlighting isn't bad.

Hey, I've got a request, tell me what you think. When you press Home on a line, right now it goes back to the very start of the line. I'd like it to go to the first typed character on the line, then to the start once you press Home again.

Come see the WIP!
Ulric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 11:06
@hyrichter:

Another couple of request here:

Is it possible to show the user defined type fields in the Code Explorer?

Is it possible to add a switchable option (directly accessible from the IDE interface, not from the Preferences menu) in the Code Explorer allowing the display of the functions, labels and types for the entire project instead of the currently visible file?

Could you implement a seach feature on the help system (like in the original DBPro IDE)?

Thanks in advance,

Ulric

"A cow is not entirely full of milk; Some of it are hamburgers!"
ASUS P4G8X-Intel P4 HT 3.06GHz-1Gb DDR266 Dual
nVidia GeForce 6800GT 256Mb (FW. 91.33) - WinXP Pro SP2 - DX9c
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 11:52
Wow, nice job hyrichter.

Single executable, which stores its settings in an ini file, and comes in an archive.

Not to mention looks good and is functional. Excellent.

- Rpg Cyco

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 11:56
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but it doesn't always give correct line errors. If you download the sourcecode for the open mmorpg, and attempt to compile under 6.2, it gives an error in the wrong place.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 14:03
I like the ideas Cash and Ulirc talks about I personally don't need the search feature in the help but others should find that usefull.

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 15:00
By the way, '#CONSTANT' doesn't highlight either. And I've found out that declaring a constant named 'object', 'sound' or 'animation' generates a compiler error...

Ulric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 16:31
@Digital Awakening

I NEED the help search feature!!!!

I play with at least 3 different 3D basic languages...plus ColdFusion, Java, C# and C++...and I'm getting older...my memory is decreasing!!! (I 'm like this smiley...I'm almost bald with a beard...just missing are the spectacles)

Cheers,

Ulric

MrJosE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 17:00
I would love to be able to fold/unfold functions like you can do using the original dbpro ide. I found that feature very useful.

Mr-JosE
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 18:25
Ulric:
As I said: "but others should find that usefull"

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 20:23
Don't worry about this, but it would be a really cool feature!
If you could write plugins, and then use them from codesurge. For example, there's that program that automatcally indents your code, and also a program which shortens your code to 20 lines. From codesurge you could do file>plugins>autoindenter.exe
Then you codesurge could run that in the background on your current code by giving a commandline with the path in to the exe.
As I said, don't worry about implementing it yet, but in the future, it would be good!

Now for the present:
When you press F1, could you make it so that it goes back to the last highlighted command to determine which help file to go to. At the moment, you have to go through the menu to get to the help of some commands. Also, when you reference a multidimensional array after a command, such as:

the extra comma makes the program think that you are typing stuff in for z when you are doing y. You could make it only count the comma if it's not between brackets.

Apart from that it's still by far the best DBP IDE!!!

Ulric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 10:14
@Digital Awakening:

I was just kidding!!!
In fact I misunderstood what you wrote...I understood you found my requests useful except the search feature!!!

@hyrichter & @Diggsey

I vote for the plugin system!!!

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 03:13 Edited at: 26th Aug 2006 03:13
Okay this is about that bug I mentioned earlier that you needed to save the included source codes in your project before it would react to the new changes. I thought it was only because I didn't had the latest version. But it seems that it still does it with the newest version! What happens is if I open an existing project with included source codes, and I make the syntax wrong in one of them and compile, it works. But if I then save after that, it's giving me an error.

I beleive this is still a bug with the new version. And that it should get fixed, of course

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 04:21
Thanks for the info, The Nerd. Hopefully within the next week sometime I'll have another update for you. It will mostly be just bug fixes and not much for features, however. Thanks to everyone else for all your support.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 11:08
Quote: "Thanks for the info, The Nerd. Hopefully within the next week sometime I'll have another update for you. It will mostly be just bug fixes and not much for features, however. Thanks to everyone else for all your support. "

Cheers.

Sounds good. The IDE already got awesome features. Bug fixes is just fine!

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 12:15
It still doesn't remember where my projects folder is.

Also, on the file menu near the bottom, could you have a recent menu item. eg. File>Recent>blablabla.dbpro

Death Swarm
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you should make an icon saying 'made in codesurge' for people to put into their games.

I know what your thinking
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 19:13
I just had a better idea about the Project Explorer, the Project Manager and the Code Explorer. Why not just put them all into the same vertical thingy, whatever they are called. Just put 3 tabs at the bottom or top to switch between them. It's not like it's a new idea or anything since most IDEs does that. I just thought that would be the most convinient way of doing it. It's not like we need all 3 at once. First of there's no need to hide or show them nor any need for the View menu. And there will be more space available for the code when there's no additional bar for the folded in windows.

Oh, and here's another idea I had while examining the Project Explorer. Why not support having multiple projects open at once? And also support some neat way of using the same .dba file for multiple projects that are open at once. I'm soon going to have 3 projects going at once because SGT is devided into 3 separate programs. But I still want them to share function libraries etc between them.

BTW, do we really need to see the Cursors, Icons and Media Files "folders" when they are empty? You can already add these by right clicking on the project name.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 02:19 Edited at: 27th Aug 2006 02:20
@Digital Awakening:
You can already do that. Just drag and dock the different windows however you like.

As for multiple projects, etc., perhaps in a version two. Once I get intellisense in and the rest of the bugs worked out, I'm calling this version 1.0 and listing it in Program Announcements.

Quote: "BTW, do we really need to see the Cursors, Icons and Media Files "folders" when they are empty? You can already add these by right clicking on the project name."

I'll have to consider it. It was just easier to do it the way it is right now. If I change it now, it will inevitably introduce a few more bugs and I want to keep this as stable and bugfree as possible for right now.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 08:27
That took a while to figure out how to do

No hurry with the Cursors, Icons and Media Files thingies. They don't take up much room as long as there's only 1 project open. So with support for multiple projects you should implement the hiding of them as well.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 20:49
Can't wait for next update! <hint>

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 16:35 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 16:35
Hi,

I don't know if I'm just using the wrong shortcut. But it would surely be nice if you could use "ctrl+o" to open up the "open" window for opening a project Just a small feature request, if it's not already there.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 19:47 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 19:48
When you have comments, and then compile your code, some of the comments have a black line after, look:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 13:05
@Diggsey - I get that in lots of applications. I'd hazzard a guess at it being an issue with your graphics card drivers...

[center]
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 13:56
OR, it could be pixels that break then heal! dun dun duun

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 16:51
hyrichter, you got any updates on the progress of CodeSurge?

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 21:31
Quote: "hyrichter, you got any updates on the progress of CodeSurge?"

Unfortunately, not much. You see, I'm also actually a cabinet builder by trade and people keep paying me good money and begging to pay me to build their kitchens and entertainment centers. So, CodeSurge and other personal projects have kinda been put on hold for a while. I did make a few updates/fixes since the last version you guys have. I'm hoping one of these weekends I can find a couple hours to get another update ready and hopefully even push out a version 1.0.

@Diggsey,
I've never noticed that, and I think Nicholas Thompson is probably right that it's your graphics card drivers or something else a little dodgy.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 22:49
Quote: "Unfortunately, not much. You see, I'm also actually a cabinet builder by trade and people keep paying me good money and begging to pay me to build their kitchens and entertainment centers. So, CodeSurge and other personal projects have kinda been put on hold for a while. I did make a few updates/fixes since the last version you guys have. I'm hoping one of these weekends I can find a couple hours to get another update ready and hopefully even push out a version 1.0."

Don't worry No problem at all. But if you could get a new update out soon it would be awesome. See, I'm started to use CodeSurge, but sometimes it can be frustrating to need to save the code in the includes every single time you make a new change to it, before the compiler takes notice. I mention this because that is a fix I would love to see in the next update

Cheers.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 11:56
You could also click on save all

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 12:27
Could you remove the spacebar makes the syntax boxes appear?, cause its really annoying. If i wanted to see the syntax i would have used the ctrl+shift+space shortcut.

Hallowed are the ori.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 12:50
Quote: "You could also click on save all"

I also do... But that still doesn't elimate the problem of having to save everytime you want the compiler to take notice of changes now, does it?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 19:45
Seems good hyritcher
One problem for me with this though; it keeps on saying that it can't understand non-native DBP commands (in other words, commands from plugins) and won't compile.

As I understand, the editor just calls the main DBPCompiler.exe so how comes it won't work as it works perfectly fine with the default DBP editor?

Or do you have to create an additional plugin folder somewhere in order for it to work?

(Sorry if this has been answeared somewhere before, but I can't really read through 340 posts in search of it, so.... )

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 20:02
As long as you haven't installed the DBP+DP trial after you have installed DBP then it should work fine If you have done that, then you need to edit the registry to make the proper compiler compile your projects

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 21:47
@Diggsey: Ok.... so, what's to be changed in the registry then?

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a quick note to say excellent work, hyrichter. I've fallen in love with CodeSurge, and it's been a godsend compared to previous IDEs I've toyed with. Great work, and keep it up.

Myopia - My blog
FreshGUI v2.0 - The open-source game ui
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 22:59
Find all pointers to the trial version and change them to point to the proper version.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 00:36
@Diggsey: Cool, it worked.
Will check onto this then; as said, it sounds interresting.

EddieY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 02:36
Hi Hyrichter!

I've recently bought and started using DBPro, and even after only a few days of using it, there were a few things about the default IDE that annoyed me that CodeSurge does right. (for example, it remembers its window size and position between sessions, and also remembers the last directory you looked at the next time you do File->Project Open)

This is really shaping up to be a great alternative to the original IDE. I can sympathize with having too many things to do, so take your time and make sure working on this stays enjoyable for you. (Using CodeSurge is certainly making things more fun for me!)

Thanks much for all you've done so far!

-Eddie

-------------------------------
Regard all phenomena as dreams.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 12:39
I found another slight bug whilst experimenting with different colours, if you change the ide background colour it doesnt get updated in your other tabs, it almost seems like you must edit your main tab for changes to be saved.

Also, i would like to have more control over the ide colours, as i like to have my code flash lots of colours at me, so if you could, then can you make specific commands get highlighted different? this is mainly for comments, as i allways comment code using '`' as its alot faster, but i also sperate functions with big ascii lines, and having those in a different colour would be awsome, so perhaps have a different colour for comments using the 'rem' command.

Also hiding the line numbers leaves behind a big margin which sort of defeats the purpose of having the line numbers removed, and place add an option to remove those buttons for save and stuff, cause i never use them and they waste 1line of code which could have been of use.

Also when selecting colours, the little code preview box doesn't fully work for things like background colours, and also the colour of either 'Transparent' or 'None' Should be there, as the ide`s background colour 'Custom' always dissapers after changing it.

Hallowed are the ori.
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 14:16
hey hyritcher! Great work on the IDE man, awesome stuff! I have a question though. I exited out of the project explorer/manager and code explorer and now i can't get them back. I went to view and clicked on them a few times but nothing happened. Help is greatly apprectiated because this thing is awesome.

____ ____ ____ ___ _ _ __ _ _ __ _ _ ____
|___ |--< |--| /__ Y | \| | | \| ___| |--|
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 14:38
I have heard good things about for your ide.. But theres one sad thing for me.. It isnt working.. Says something about my dbpro files.. Is it because i have moved my dbpro from C: to F: ?

FFXI <3
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 15:33
@EddieY,
Thanks man.

@Dark Coder,
Thanks for the info. I'll look into what's going on with the IDE preferences and get them working right.

@Crazy Ninja,
That's another thing I need to fix sometime. You can just delete the cssettings.ini file to restore it to its original settings.

@Cloudef,
If you moved DBP, you need to make sure that your registry entry for the install-path is correct. Otherwise, CodeSurge will be looking at the old path for the compiler. I promise that some day I'll let you maually tell it where the compiler is. Until then, you can go back a page or two and find the instructions on setting the install path in your registry if it isn't correct.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:24:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:24:35