Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] The theme for the next level design contest

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2006 17:07
I think either Fred or another Mod should create a fresh rules thread and sticky it and make sure no one can reply to it. Just to keep the new comers from posting every where asking about the rules; plus it will be there and no one should have to make mistakes.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2006 20:11
That's what I had wanted to do. Once eveything is hashed out here, we can unsticky this one and do just that.

-Keith

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2006 20:15
That's what we are waiting on.

HandK
Years of Service
User Offline
I Know this wasnt included last time, But could there be a postal address for discs to be sent to? I have no chance whatsoever at uploading 110Mb or such.
(I thought it better to ask this now, rather than beg two days from comp end)

H&K
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2006 23:16
Ill be in the contest too this time. Expect hardcore action!

Dont forget to visit my website for scripts!
crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
mmmm sounds intresting ill give it a go

http://lovetrail.virtualdatingagency.com/index.php
jthtiger 2006
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 03:21
I think i will try this one. This will be my first compitition so expect some pretty bad results.

Well Here Goes Nothing
Tyler Herron
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 11:28
I made one using completly stock media then.....

ERoor this application has encountered and error and needs to close Extra debug info 0 0

Stunt man 2 http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=79827&b=8&p=0
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
Opus Games
Years of Service
User Offline
May I suggest that whilst custom media is welcome, that like the first compo it should be made available to the wider community (unless personal or license restricted).

That way we all benefit from the media that gets generated throughout this and future competitions.

And just to confirm, there will be a cash prize on offer of $50 again.

Cheers, Rich.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 17:26
I would also like to suggest that you should only be allowed to use segments and not a fully modelled level; just so its a bit more fair because not every one can model their own levels with 3d software.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 17:33
That means that when we create a new wall or segment or picture, etc, we have to make it public. If that's the case, then it's going to add a lot more work on my part and I don't know if I'm up for that.

Like many, I think up an idea, then create the media to fill it. I don't mind anyone else having it or getting it from my game, but if I have to prep all of it to give away, it'd just be too much work.

Crazy Grandpa
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 17:50
I agree with Higgins about the use of segments.

We want to include custom media this time, to allow more flexability; but you are under no obligation to make it public (just know that someone might disect your level somehow). It's true that not everybody can make custom models; but all modelers can do custom scripts, etc. either. Levels will not be judged on custom work alone, rather how it all meshes together into a playable level and an enjoyable experience. That's why it's a competition.

What I or the other judges say is not set in stone, let's keep this discussion going till we all settle on something. We just need to wrap it up pretty soon.

-Keith

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 18:01
I would allow custom media, but not custom built levels using 3d software.

The custom media wouldnt need to be public, because not every one wants to give away their hard work.

HandK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 21:13 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2006 21:16
Sorry to hassle, Postal Compition address, Yes, NO?

Need to know. Not wasteing time. If cannot enter poitless building level. Answer needed. Level design on Hold. Responce awaited.....

AS an aside, I wasnt sure, who owns the levels from last time.
i.e. Does Higgins own his level, does TGC own his level, or does the site host own his level.
(@Higgins.. There not much point you answering, because unless you are going to say someone else owns it, I have guessed what you will say )

H&K
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 23:03
The people who made the levels own them (unless they used someone else's media without their consent), just like anything else you make with FPSC.

I don't think I'll be giving my address out to anyone I don't know. I have dial-up as well, I just find someone/somewhere with high-speed when I need it.

-Keith

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 23:04 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2006 23:04
I will enter, but i'll be using sounds etc from other games so i don't want to run the risk of getting sued for redistributing stuff, therefore i will not allow any use of custom media in any shape or form by anyone other than myself.

...its also coz i'm selfish

Do we have to make WIP threads in the showcase board or what?
AE

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 23:04 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2006 23:06
HandK, your a bit wierd.

I own my game, no one else does. It is hosted by ozark games.

I honestly dont think you will be allowed to send your game by mail to people, either upload it or dont enter. If your complaining that you have a 56k connection and wont have the time to upload; well ive done it in the past so dont complain.

**EDIT**

Quote: "Do we have to make WIP threads in the showcase board or what?"

Only if you want some one to steal your idea, like they always do.

HandK
Years of Service
User Offline
Higgins the most my 56K connection allows is two hours connected. Thats it. so I cannot upload 110Mb.

As to my question of ownership being weird. Go look round the net, most compititions for games, the end product belongs to the compitition organisers (ie Retrogames, whos compitition is sponsered by TGC). I dindt think this was the case here but I cheaked. (Whereas you just assumed)

Lets say TGC produce a "new" package for FPSC and include your level? Now we are sure the level is still yours. If you still think this was a stupid question, then so be it.

Keith I wasnt asking for your address, I was just asking if there was "an address", If there isnt it doesnt mean I cannot enter, it just means I have to plan now where to uploadit from

(If you think Im making my connection problem up, I got the download only dark sdk "ON DISC" from TGC, because it was impossible for me to download it)

H&K
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 00:00

Quote: "Higgins the most my 56K connection allows is two hours connected. Thats it. so I cannot upload 110Mb."

an fpm file is not 110mb

Stunt man 2 http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=79827&b=8&p=0
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 00:03 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2006 00:06
This contest is user ran, TGC have nothing to do with it; therefore they can not take our games for use in their future software.

**EDIT**

Quote: "an fpm file is not 110mb"

They are not allowed.

MaarX
Years of Service
User Offline
If your exe is 110 mb, compress it, use any thing to reduce its size: First you make it an installer, then you add it to a .rar file.

Or you zip it with 7Z format (I don't know but once I had a nintendo64 emulator I downloaded a 7MB .7Z file, and it turned out to be 37MB - that's a lot of compression)
Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 00:15
I could be wrong but I don't think anyone will be giving out a physical address. Just not a good idea these days.

Ozark Games is happy to host again, but the submission process will be slightly different due to issues during last month's contest. I can be contacted for upload information exactly the same as last month, but after each submission the FTP password will be changed and the submitted file moved to a safe location for access by the judges, as well as the public after the contest. This will allow all submissions to be housed in the same location, and still eliminate the possibility of "tampering".

Because this will be a more tedious process, please try to make sure your level is what you want it to be before you request to submit. It will help keep re-submissions to a minimum. Thanks.

For anyone on dial-up wishing to submit, there is always a public library, internet cafe, a friend, university library, or any of a dozen other avenues for high speed access.

I'll just add that it's good to see Opus Games and others still willing to offer up prizes after last month's somewhat less than stellar contest performance. Good community spirit. Hopefully we'll see the turnout this month show there really are FPSC users working with the software. Not a slam or a flame here, just going for a little motivation.

/JOOM

Sarcasm, just one more service I have to offer...
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 00:23
JOOM, if you had PHP on your web host, you could create an upload feature for users to submit their work.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 01:59
Quote: "Keith I wasnt asking for your address"

lol, I see. I thought you were looking to come over for coffee or something.

-Keith

HandK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 02:08 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2006 02:33
Am I allowed to "Ultra" Pack it then. (Even then it would still be a push to upload in 2 hrs), because thats just more work for "Just one old man"

Nb: Its not a big problem because Ill just go round to someones house that has a good connection. I am thou very supprised at the lack of support for the mail service.

Edit: Higgins will probably try to explian this, not because it needs explaining, but because he wants the last word. I was going to post after his post, but then it would look like I wanted the last word. Which I dont

H&K
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 02:21
They have managers to that allow you to upload/download and pause and come back and finish uploading it later.
FPSPack Pro does a decent job of packing levels.I had one that went from about 100MB to 65MB after I used it to make an .exe.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 02:26
Quote: "I am thou very supprised at the lack of support for the mail service"

Like I said, it is user ran. Would you really want to give your address out? How can some one tell your not some nutter with a butcher knife looking to make human bugers?

Maybe your first language isnt english, but I think every one has explained that giving out an address is a big no, no.

Like I said, it is user ran and all the judges are not in the same county or country.

You know, I dont know why I explained it; you are bound to ask again.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 03:43
Quote: "Like I said, it is user ran. Would you really want to give your address out? How can some one tell your not some nutter with a butcher knife looking to make human bugers?"

Too true...nobody is going to give you their address.Quite a few people are going out of their way to make this contest possible.
Asking for personal information like that is unreasonable.
We will make every effort to help you upload your game.
In the day of instant upload/downloads in instances like this mail order is dead.
Maybe someone will be able to provide you with a manager that will allow you to upload in bits.
I will even go so far as to check elsewhere and see if I can find someone with one....
But I am not giving out my address.

Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 04:57
Higgins: I use all PHP based stuff, but my web host (GoDaddy) has an installed policy that no PHP based upload exceed 8MB. I have upload ability set up in the forums and other places, but I've talked to them and there's no way around the 8MB thing. They don't have a limitation, though, on FTP uploads. That's the reason for the FTP requirement.

If I could get around the 8MB thing I already have a good file upload/download system in place at OG for things like this. It's just not used much because of the size limit. So far, it's the only drawback or issue I've had with GoDaddy, so I work around it.

/JOOM

Sarcasm, just one more service I have to offer...
jermaine
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 06:05
cool i will enter. But since this is my first contest on this forum i have some questions.

1. the deadline when is it? is it at the end of the month?
2. How do i submit a entry when i'm done with it?

HI
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 09:20
1. August 1st
2. Upload it to the net and give the judges the download link.

AE

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 11:09
You contact JustOneOldMan at http://www.ozarkgames.com
and make arrangements to FTP the level there.
All levels must be uploaded to Ozark Games and must be an .exe.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 15:53
So we don't have to share our media with the community this time?

@HandK

You can mail it our P.O. Box address and I will get it uploaded for you. It's no problem. E-mail me if that's ok.

Crazy Grandpa
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 16:42
i can finaly enter,

hdd fixed,now im going to get my idea reality!

Many tales has bein told about me,and there where i came from.Most bad ones are true.The good ones are false...
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 16:49
You don't have to share; I just can't guaruntee that someone won't disect it and get at your stuff later.

-Keith

Essal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 17:01
is there a maximum size of the lvls or?

He Who Visits The FPSC Forum, Returns 10 minuters later, to see whats new.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 17:02
i think the MAX was 1...

not sure though.

Many tales has bein told about me,and there where i came from.Most bad ones are true.The good ones are false...
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 17:05
I has to be a single level; just keep the download size in mind.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 17:09
As soon as my question is answered in the scripts forum im done

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 09:36
Are there any restrictions on bad language? I've got a sound clip that has an explicit word (s***) and i wondered if it was OK to include it as long as i kept it to a minimum.

AE

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 16:12
Quote: "Are there any restrictions on bad language?"

Using sounds isnt a big part of level design; is it now? I havent seen or I cant remember seeing a rule not allowing bad language; I think thats only some thing going on in the FPSC forums.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 16:41
I think sounds can have a part in level design, depending on how/when they're used. I believe, as long as profanity isn't used in excess, that it's OK.

-Keith

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 20:25
Thanks, i believe i only swear once

AE

Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
im in im more into dbp as FPSC is soooo buggy but i think this could be fun

Thanks
Adam
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 22:04
FPSC is only buggy when people get it into their head that it is.

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 23:26
Can we use custom media that isn't available for everyone in these forum?

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
My site: http://www.freewebs.com/nigezu
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 00:43
Higgins said we shoul only use 7 enemies. Is that a recommendation or is it one of the rules? If we dont use the enemies at the same time it wouldnt be as laggy i guess.

Dont forget to visit my website for scripts!
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 00:45
Like i said, i'm using custom media that i will not let other people use; as i understand it, it doesn't all have to be community accessable.

AE

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 02:15
You can use custom media and it does not need to be released if you do not want to release it.

I said 7 as a recommendation, it is not a rule. I only picked the theme.

HandK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 02:25 Edited at: 5th Jul 2006 02:26
I think the seven sudjestion, was how many make a "wave". But wait till Higgins or Keith confirms that

Edit: That will teach me to refresh the page before I post

H&K

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 03:56:25
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 03:56:25