Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Blender - How to Export to DBPRO uncovered...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 07:46
WAIT A MINUTE!!!

Why does my butterfly look like it's been through a jet engine?

Here, take a look

"Rocket launcher: Not suitable for children under 3 years of age. Contains small parts. Harmful if swallowed."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
yaarj
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe its just your camera angle...

Or maybe the animation is just too fast. Try using the "Set Object Speed" command in DBPro.

Have fun in whatever you do, no matter how sad it is.
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 23:53
No and no.

The object is continually rotating so it's not the camera angle and i set the speed to 1 so it's not too fast. Heres the .x model

"Rocket launcher: Not suitable for children under 3 years of age. Contains small parts. Harmful if swallowed."

Attachments

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 23:54
and heres the texture

Attachments

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 02:54
DrEnzy - you'll haveto fiddle with the settings of the export and the model normals by the look of it. It seems that blender is a bit picky when it comes to all that.

Hope it works out.

I'm glad you have got it working! I was VERY happy too when I got my first model working.

Regards,
Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
yaarj
Years of Service
User Offline
The .x model you uploaded doesn't work. It causes some error.

Anyway, try using higher poly models and see if it still looks like it's been in a jet engine.

I'm using this exporter for all my models and so far none gets deformed...

lower logic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2006 06:12 Edited at: 21st Nov 2006 06:28
I've been trying to export an animated blender model to x but when DBPro tries to load the .x model, it crashes with some error. The exact same model with no armature/animation loads just fine into DBPro. I don't know if it matters but I'm using envelopes in the animation. The bones don't have spaces in them. I'm using Blender version 2.42a (latest version). Here's the .blend file, if anyone wants to try to figure out why it's not exporting nicely:

Attachments

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2006 06:21
I'll have a try later tonight ok? After the bbq its a pleasant 28 degrees aaahhhh

lower logic
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright cool and thanks for the fast response.
yaarj
Years of Service
User Offline
Here! This should export without any error (tried it and it runs!).

Don't use modifiers in animating your model. Instead use vertex groups and parent the object to the armature. Select "make parent to armature" then select "don't make vertex groups" or something like that. Just check the modifications I made in your blend file.

Attachments

lower logic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2006 20:59 Edited at: 21st Nov 2006 21:00
Thanks, but the original also exported without error. The problem occurs when DBPro tries to load the model. I attached the error message DBPro gives when it tries to load the model, using a 1-line program that is just "load object "destroyer2.x",1". I think the problem is still is in the export, even though it exports with no error, because when you try to import the .x it back into Blender, the animation appears to be gone and the model is at an odd angle. So unfortunately the changes you tried didn't solve the problem, but thanks for trying.

Attachments

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 01:33
Hey I tried it, it exported fine, but DBpro keps saying I dont have directx 9 installed!!!! I do have it installed. So thats annoying that I cant even run the software.

I will download tha latest direct x when I get home, but with our connection going really slow its annoying. Yaarj should be able to help though.

Nice model too!!! I really liked the animation.

greenlig

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 01:42
Here's a tip, don't play with the envelope settings, trust me. After my model got mutilated I spent a whole day fiddling with things and even though I think the problem might have been with envelopes, when I fiddled round with them I couldn't get anything working at all. I'm starting to think that my problem (and others) could be related to not having python installed properly, or having an old version. It's just a theory of mine but it might be somewhere to start.

Hey yaarj, you said you could export my butterfly properly, so can I have a look at the file you exported? I want to poke it and prod it with some very sharp and dangerous modellers' tools. Maybe disecting it will lend me some answers

yaarj
Years of Service
User Offline
@lower logic. Here's the exported version (.x version) of your model. This should load in DBPro well. And don't import animated .x models to blender, the animations will be gone. There is something wrong with the .x importer...

@DrEnzyme. Well... I exported your butterfly in DBPro... but it kinda looked like it's been hit by an anti-aircraft gun, hehehe... I'm not sure why it looks that way...

Attachments

lower logic
Years of Service
User Offline
@yaarj, thank you, works great . Did you need to do anything odd, like thats not mentioned in the first post of this thread, to export it? If not I'll need to reinstall python or whatevers preventing me from exporting to .x nicely.
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 03:05
So it happens to you aswell... Hmm...

I'm afraid my dear Watson that we have come to an impasse, what am I to do?

The Butler did it!!!
Wait... That doesn't help... yaarj can I look at one of your own blend files that you know exports properly? Maybe then I can solve this most mysterious murder... I mean, problem.

yaarj
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 04:50 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2006 04:58
@lower logic. I don't think I did something odd in exporting... Anyway here's the screenshot of my export settings in blender. Then select export all.

Attachments

yaarj
Years of Service
User Offline
@DrEnzyme. I don't think the Butler did it... maybe the Gardener is the one!

Anyway here, take a look at my dancing dummy! It doesn't looked deformed after exporting to DBPro.

Attachments

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 01:18
*Gasp*

Of course! He had a motive and the means! Why didn't I see this coming! I'm going to have to fire Watson...

*composes himself*

*rummages around for pipe*

Anyway, the dancing dummy...

Hehehe look at it jiggle. Hehehehehehehe
ahh...
Very cool. So whats the difference between that and my model...

I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!

Two things, 1, if you go into weight paint you'll see that all the weight is concentrated to one side of my model, which is stuffing everything up. And 2, DB doesn't like 1 vertex thick meshes. At least thats what I think is wrong. I'm going to start again and see if I can't make a new working butterfly. Stay tuned for the next nail-biting episode of... IT CAME FROM BLENDER!!!

"I have defied Gods and demons. I am your shield, I am your sword. I know you, your past, your future."
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 02:23 Edited at: 24th Nov 2006 02:25
Now lets see here...
made object check
Animated object check
UV mapped object check
exported object check
Load object and...
Hmm, that's odd, it actually looks like it works. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yea right...
*takes closer look*
*eyes explode*
Ow.
Yes!!! It works!!!
If you guys want a copy of my beautiful butterfly to use in any of your games just ask (or any other model I make for that matter). I am deeply indebted to you, and this time it's for real!!! Now I can finally begin to complete my game, or at least start to. TYVM.

"I have defied Gods and demons. I am your shield, I am your sword. I know you, your past, your future."
yaarj
Years of Service
User Offline
That's great to hear!

I also think that flat objects (or 1-vertex thick meshes) is the real culprit here.

I only use flat objects for floors and distant backgrounds, and never in my animated characters. Maybe that's why I never encountered that...

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 23:31
Now it's on to BSPs and other things for me. I'm a vagabond, and so my time here with you draws to a close. Maybe someday we'll meet again, maybe not...

*puts knapsack over shoulder and walks off into sunset*

yaarj
Years of Service
User Offline
May Blender be with you...

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 13:35
Quote: "May Blender be with you..."
he said, suzanne in hand. Who knows what the sunset with 16x OSA and AO would be the catalyst for? Many fine adventures will follow my raytraced friend!!!

greenlig

MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 22:58
Hey,

I've got a Blender/DBPro problem. I managed to export a direct x model with the following export parrimeters:
Flip YZ(so that y is up and z is forward)
Flip Z(not sure if supposed to or not[I tried both ways.])
No animation setteings for it's to be a terrain sort of model, only in .x format.
I did not recalculate Normals because this just causes blender to crash. I used Bl.normals.
The blender version I'm using is 2.42a but just says 2.42 with a green highlight around it.
My "terrain" object is really just a plane sub-divided fractal,extruded edges,and smoothed over many times.
Uv-mapped
Exported into DBPro File Directory with bitmap texture successfully.

I loaded the object, and Low and Behold, it showed up on the screen, I can move around, interact with it, or at least what's left of it! There are gaps in the texture and the model. Over half of the outer four walls are missing, in other words it goes less than half way up. Basically, it looks like it's been through a blender,heehee Please, someone tell me if I need to change the modeling, the DBPro code, or the Direct X export settings, or all of the above. When I get home, I'll give a screenshot of the model and a download of the file and a code snippet when I get home, for I'm on a school computer right now.

Thanks in advanced.

Mickey III
Cloggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 00:19 Edited at: 1st Dec 2006 00:26
I find the following process works best for me, although I don't export any animations.

Select Y-axis up
Select Left handed system

take the exported model into Lithunwrap 1.3 and choose Tools->Optimize Model

Save the model.

Model now shows up perfectly lit in DBPro. If you don't optimize the model in Lithunwrap it shows up unlit in DBPro.

EDIT - You only have to optimize if you don't select 'no smooth' when exporting.

Cheers,

Cloggy
MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 01:28
Hey Cloggy,

Where can I get Lithunwrap 1.3?

Thanks,

Mickey III

P.S. Here's the code and model download for you below.

Attachments

Daemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 23:57
I am still unable to load my animated models into DBPro and have them not completely destroyed. I made a very simple model and rigged it, and it couldn't load. I hoped that, with it being such a simple model, someone could find what I'm doing wrong.

I have exported it many ways. I know that it is possible to export it when not in pose mode, but then the animation will not be exported (when I add animation- the point of rigging it).

Attachments

yaarj
Years of Service
User Offline
When exporting, make sure that only the object and the armature you want to export is present in the scene. Delete everything else, cameras, lights, etc...

Try removing the camera and the light before exporting, that should fix it...

@MickeyIII. I can't download your file so I cant take a look at it. Anyway try using "set object cull" to zero for that object... Maybe the faces are just facing the other direction...

Daemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 00:37
Deleting the camera and light seemed like a good idea, but it didn't work.

Here is the object with some animation if anyone wants to try helping me.

Attachments

MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 01:54
Thanks, it helped a lot yaarj! And I found lithunwrap through google.

Thanks again.

MickeyIII
MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 01:58
Arrrrgh!!!!!!!

I tried to animate your dummy in DBPro yarrj, and it just sits there, not changing colors like I told it to.

here's the code:

Please help. I tried the ' append object *filename*,1,total object frames(1) + 1 and that didn't help at all.

Thanks in advance,

MickeyIII
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
If anyone's interested, I put up a website a while ago with a Blender DirectX Export script for DarkBASIC Classic. I haven't updated the site or the script for a while but it works.

Here's a link: Blender to DBC

It specifically exports animation that Classic can use, that means no mesh/bone animation.

Enjoy your day.
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 23:30 Edited at: 14th Dec 2006 23:43
*The door bursts open, a withered looking traveller limps through the open passageway, sword in hand. He is worn and disshevled.*

I'm back!

Specifically, I'm back from the Blender artists forums where they won't answer my question on how to rig a mesh so that it doesn't get deformed... And fighting demons, I've been doing that a lot too...

Anyway, this time i'm here to help, not nag (much)!!!

Daemon, This should help, even if it doesn't fix the problem:

Problem I: You haven't rigged the mesh properly. One of the knees doesn't have any vertices attached to it.
Problem II: The same thing happened with my butterfly, you have to go into weight paint and make sure you have the right weights for each vertex group.
Problem III: Your object centres are in weird places. When I moved them to the center of your mesh I got a different result (although it was still deformed).
Problem IV: Personally I think the problem lies in the fact that there's no torso to the armature.
Problem V: Look at the axis on your armature, Your shoulders are completely opposite axis-wise and the feet are just wierd. That might be throwing the exporter.
Problem VI: Try putting in an anchor bone, one that makes everything move when you move it. Parent the legs and shoulder to this bone. Once again check the weights and envelopes for this bone.
Problem VII: Turn the weight values for each vertex group down to 0, it seems to help I think.

This might not completely fix the export but I think it's a good place to start. There are so many problems between blender and DB...

If I were you though I'd start with something simpler, seperate objects joined together as opposed to one whole mesh. Like yaarj's dancing dummy or my butterfly. Even though you say that the Rig is simple, it's a bit too complex.

Oh and congrats on getting a material to export with Blender, I'd like to know how that's done. I've been using UV maps all this time...

By the way, if anyone can answer my question about how to rig meshes so they don't deform when you bend the bones (you know, like elbows and knees) then I'd really like to here your suggestions.

dononeton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 19:50
Hey guys. I just started to use Blender again, I went through some of the tutorials they had over there and I getting use to the interface, I am coming from Gamespace. I was able to export a static model with a texture from Blender to DBPro with no problems. Is there any problems exporting bone animation from Blender to DBPro? Oh thanks greenlig for the tip
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2006 01:04
You can't use modifiers to parent the mesh to the armature. You can't have spaces in the names of your bones. I've also found that it's a good idea to turn the weight of all your vertex groups down to zero

Maflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 13:45 Edited at: 30th Jan 2007 00:54
This is getting silly, I cant even replicate the same effects in the same session with the same settings.
DX viewer shows the snimations and DBpro crashes, I take the animations out DX viewer crashes and DBpro crashes, put the animations back DBpro shows a static mesh and DXviewer crashes...
Are there any any funny angles I need to have my mouse at or do I have to sacrifice some chickens before it works consistantly?

EDIT:
Right, After murdering some poultry, it seems that the Blender Direct X exporter can only handle the most basic of armatures in your animation. If you want to have an IK rig with foot rolling,
and things like that you're out of luck. Constraints seem to work according to the examples but I'm having trouble replicating them.

I wish I knew what I were doing!
Daemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 16:34
I've had limited success with animations in blender. I successfully exported an animated flag. I then went onto trying to make a simple person. At first it seemed to work except for a couple of vertices which I realize I forgot to assign to any bones. I did what I thought would fix it but now I get a direct x error when loading the model into dark basic pro. Here is a screen shot of what blender looks like when I am exporting.
Screen Shot
I have attached the person model for anyone to try to tell me what I have done wrong to it.

Attachments

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 00:41
Hmmm...I am having the same problem as you with the exporting of that model mate. One thing I noticed was that all your bones were unconnected to their parents...I suggest extruding any bones you would make rather that creating/copying any existing ones. It means that the bones are automatically connected and it might fix this problem. Try re-rigging him it might work.

Daemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 15:13 Edited at: 14th Feb 2007 16:50
I didn't know you could extrude bones, that's helpful.
I think the problem was changing vertex groupings after rigging him, so I'm about to try re-rigging him.

Edit: I made another model and once I rigged it I began having the same problem as I did with this model. This time, however, I couldn't add the right animations in blender because when I move the bones in his legs in pose mode the vertices aren't moving with them like they should.

Attachments

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2007 06:39
Have you guys upgraded to 2.43? Some very nice things in that release! seems that they have finaly un-mucked the .x exporter. The unwrapper is amazing! Not to mention the soft/rigid body upgrades....and sculpting..hours of enjoyment I suppose...all around the best upgrade so far..

Regards,
RF

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 03:59
Yeah its a great release. I haven't used the new unwrapper yet, but I saw the video but Colin and it looks amazing.

My favorite feature so far is the Render Baking. Baking the normals and ambient occlusion is amazing. Very useful game creation tool.

Greenlig

MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2007 15:56
Hey...

I downloaded and exported the Destroyer2.x model by lower logic and it absolutely worked...BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE DID!!! If lower logic or somebody could tell me what he did, I would appriciate it...

Thanks,

MickeyIII
MartinS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 13:00
Hm... when I tried doing that it returned this error:

Quote: "Blender.Scene.getCurrent() is deprecated, use Blender.Scene.GetCurrent() instead.
Traceback <most recent call last>:
File "<string>", line 305, in my_callback
File "<string>", line 82, in Import
File "<string>", line 228, in writeVertices
CalueError: invalid literal for int(): x3ds_mat_Material1__1"
Any help is greatly aprreciated.

Martin

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 21:14
Mickey, all he did was make a basic model, then applied bones, and to finish it off animated it and he had the action editor open to check that all was in order, also his bone names had no spaces in them.

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 21:17 Edited at: 27th Mar 2007 15:52
I'm having some issues exporting textures to .x

which I solved (edited)

Have you seen my sig?
I think it's been sig-napped.
MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 00:21
Finally, I did it. I made A model!!! Wooohoooo!!!!!! I call it the...*drum roll*...Giant Worm!

I would have a screen shot of it, but since I'm SUUUUCCCHHH a nooby I really don't know how! But you can download it and run the direct x model in dbpro, and rotate it to see the whole thing. I did it with one object, 5 armatures, parented the armature, created and assigned vertex groups to the vertices I wanted in edit mode, and no Weight paint...

To export it, I just use the "Anim" button, the "Swap YZ", the "Flip Z", and finally "Export All".

Thanks so much for the help.

Attachments

Maflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 20:09
I want to know the limits of the armature for exporting to DBP. What it wall take what it wont take and build a standard DarkBasic rig. Unless someone has already figured it out, then tell me!
(^_^)

Maflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 21:48 Edited at: 19th Apr 2007 16:52
Ok, So Ive found its not as complicated as I first thought.
One problem was some process in Windows locking the .x file. The output script doesnt complain about it but every time you think you're changing an export setting, it appears that DarkBasic just cant load the model because its locked.
Sensible names are a problem too. Some applications output the whole path as the object name. Just take a few seconds to make sure all the names dont have spaces or stupidly long names.

So constraints, Auto IK (when baked), Weight painting, un-connected Bones in the same armature(with parents) Work just fine. I even had part of the mesh without any bones asigned to it export properly.

edit:
So far, Ive found that its best to delete the armature totally if anything at all goes wrong with it and start again.
Any changes to the mesh or armature beyond posing, need the mesh to have the parent cleared first [Alt-P]
I've been clearing animations from the action editor every time I have a new bone added to the armature, just to be sure, and baking new ones each time.

Can anyone else add their experiences of building an armature for DBP?

Everything is fine so far in Blender 2.43 - touch wood.
A default rig should work I hope.

MartinS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 22:04
Ok, when I now import .x models, it gives me this:

Quote: "Blender.Scene.getCurrent() is deprecated,
use Blender.Scene.GetCurrent() instead.
... finished"

Any ideas why?

Thanks,