Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Blender - How to Export to DBPRO uncovered...

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2007 19:41
sounds like you need to update python

03apples
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 02:18 Edited at: 26th Apr 2007 02:20
i have made particles and hair but dont know how to export them with the .x file, but now i know how to export materials. thanks greenlig.
does anyone know the solution to this?

Edit:
oh by the way i have blender version of 2.43
03apples
Years of Service
User Offline
umm... any help?
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 03:51
Sorry mate, I missed this post.

You can't export particles into the .x format. In fact I'm almost sure you cant export them into any format at all. Like most particle systems, they are handled specifically by the software they are used in. Your going to have to figure out another way to make hair on your model, if thats what your trying to do. Could you post an image of your model?

Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
03apples
Years of Service
User Offline
i didnt really make a model. just asking, but now i also found out it only exports color for the materials not the transparency and other cool effets. what i mean is that it only exports color of the model.
any way to get around this problem?

And i have another question. could i converet the hair or other particles into a mesh so i can expost it?

thanks
Maflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 11:11 Edited at: 28th Apr 2007 11:13
I think you have to make make the particles static to become a mesh anyway. I dont think they will export even so. its better to fake the hair by modelling or by using a nice texture rather than trying to simulate it with strands. The transparenccy effects and so on are the same way i think. You can render normal maps and you can bake light settings to the textures using CTRL+ALT+B and one or two other things.

I wish I knew what I were doing!
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
My problem has been that the previous blender .x exporters were terrible.

New ones I will try though.

Thanks,
The Juggernaut

Just someone obsessed with making games(this will be updated whenever...)
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
You can export particles but it would not run properly, I have been using blender for nearly a whole 2 years yes 2
I have found out an export and import thingy like greenlig said and i know how import FPSC models.
Thanks for not letting a noob like me forgetLOL

cheers Greenlig.

JOIN NOW!Or be square!
Indecom
Years of Service
User Offline
I am having problems exporting to directx with blender version 2.44. does anyone have a fix for this? a new exporter script?
Maflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 19:08
What kind of problems?
Can they be fixed by installing the newer Python?
I dont think theres anything that will improve your dark basic work flow in 2.44. It might be better to stay with the previous version for now, if the issues are quie difficult to fix.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 20:04 Edited at: 31st May 2007 20:04
what issues are you running in to? I am using 2.44 with py 2.5 and things are running just fine, I was running 2.44 with py 2.4 and things were jsut fine then as well. I am curious as to what problems you are having. Please tell us what problems you are having as it may be user error.

Cheers,
Dave

Indecom
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, i kinda fixed the problem. I installed python 2.5 and now i can export again, but for some reason when i saved the models i couldnt access them until i quit blender because the computer said that the file is already in use, apparently by blender. Then i quit and they loaded fine, but no blender crashes every time i start it back up, so i think i need to reinstall it then it should be fine again.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 22:53
yeah, python and blender can be a bit touchy at times. I never delete the install packages for blender or python. make sure you store your model (.blend) files in a different location..

Indecom
Years of Service
User Offline
well, reinstalling it didnt do anything, so it is still crashing which really sucks because that is my only reliable importing/exporting source. I am going to try and see if it will crash when i click on a .blend file instead of just opening the program, and if so then my default blender file is corrupt.
Indecom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 23:04 Edited at: 31st May 2007 23:05
okay, so that isn't the problem either. Dude, this really upsets me, maybe it is my current version of python making it crash?

I am going to try and manually restart my machine instead of hibernating it and see if the problem is corrected when the system reboots.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 00:00
can you send me the blend file and I will see if i get the same results from blender on my machine

Indecom
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, that is not the problem. I restarted my computer, uninstalled blender, uninstalled python, reinstalled blender, and started it up again but it still crashes on me and now i am scared that i may never be able to use it again. I really dont know what happened, it has never done this to me before. Nothing i do seems to make a difference.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 00:43
did you go in and manualy remove the left over blender files and folders? did you restart your computer before the reinstall? are you geting a debug error?

Indecom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 00:45 Edited at: 1st Jun 2007 01:05
i did not manually remove the left over files because there are some that i want to keep. I did get a debug error and decided to send the error report to Microsoft in case they can tell me what my problem is. If nothing works i can go in and manually remove the leftovers, and just re download what i need later.

I really wish this wouldn't freak out for me, i love this program to death.

I attached a screen shot of what happens every time i start it up, it doesnt even load the interface, just goes gray, then white, then this stupid error pops up.

Okay, i finally managed to fix the problem, i had to wipe out the blender information from my computer entirely, so now i need to browse the internet for all the python swcripts that i am missing so i can reinstall them again.

Thanks for your help, probably wouldnt have thought of that otherwise.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Indecom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2007 05:40 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2007 05:48
Okay, so the problem is with the blend file, i would share it but i dont want anyone to have to wipe their hard drive like i had to.

Now the problem i have is that when i load the model into dbpro hte exe crashes. is this a problem that can be fixed by upgrading dbpro? I used the export plugin that comes with blender 2.44.

i use dbpro version 1.062
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2007 11:05
DBPro crashes?

Dude you really need to upgrade your DBPro app! also what python version are you running? and what version of blender are you running? I know you said 2.44 for blender but there is a new update that was released a little while ago but it was still under the 2.44 release. All it did was compile blender with the python 2.5 source unstead of the 2.4 source. Things are alot more stable now..

Cheers,
Dave

Indecom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2007 11:12 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2007 11:41
dbpro dont crashe, my game does.

i use python 2.5. i have loaded an animated x model before, just tried the famous dwarf model. the problem may be just with the exporter i am using. can someone try and export this shambler model for me, including the animations and see if i can load that?

Attachments

Indecom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2007 11:41 Edited at: 5th Jun 2007 05:04
and here is my model, animation is 26 frames, does this crash your dbpro games?

oh, and dark basic pro 6.6 is actually 1.66, so 1.62 should have no problems either, it must be the export scripts, but only the animations export section because i can load non animated models that i have exported fine.

Edit: Okay, so i tried this with another model and it worked fine. I am just going to try and see what the difference is before i export anything again, and see if i cant get rid of the differences.

Attachments

Brain111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 06:18 Edited at: 11th Jun 2007 06:18
I was able to export your .blend model, but it didnt work in darkbasic. The model itself kicked butt by the way. The one you exported didnt work either. I didn't realize exporting from blender was such a pain, i've used Metasequoia and Cyberdelia until today until I realized they suck.

I usually have trouble with exporting from blender, it hits an error somewhere in the Python script. The only things ive gotten to export are your shambler, lower logic's destroyer, and a simple cube I made. The only one sucessfully opened in darkbasic was the cube, go figure.

I'll probably be up late trying to figure this one out.
Indecom
Years of Service
User Offline
I didnt make the model, it is in a free mod for doom4 but i wanted to use it as a test to get doom3 style graphics into darkbasic pro, but now that my blender has gone done and went Kapoot on me, i have decided to start learning 3dsmax thanks to my father. So, hopefully i will be able to get it in that way.
Brain111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 06:59 Edited at: 11th Jun 2007 07:01
I tried doing surgery on the .x file with notepad, because i've had success that way with limb-based animation (copying one object's animation data onto another's) but to no avail.

Then, as a test to see if blender animation would work with really basic models, i animated a cube with armatures and it exported to .x with no problem. It even loaded into darkbasic without crashing. But for some reason half of it is gone... The half that is there moves, though! Take a look at it if you want.

One thing I was thinking: do you think it matters what frame you specify as the last frame of the animation in blender? Like does it have to be exactly the last frame that you put a keyframe in?

Attachments

Brain111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 07:19 Edited at: 11th Jun 2007 08:30
I just tried literally a billion different combinations of exporting settings, and most of them loaded (the only ones that didn't load, I messed with that speed button). I did find that if you click the Selected Object button rather than the Export All one, it keeps its original shape but with no animation. This even worked with the speed button turned on, presumably because it just ignores the animation anyway. Ughh... maybe I'll have better luck with this in the morning.

[edit]

Well, looks like I decided to try to figure this out even more rather than going to sleep, and I did find a different exporter that seems like it might work, but I havent tried everything yet:

http://directpython.sourceforge.net/exportx.html

I've found that the script will hit an error unless you select everything before you export it. I've gotten it to export nicely without animation, but it wont load into darkbasic with it so far.
Maflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 18:40 Edited at: 11th Jun 2007 18:52
Standard export settings should work fine. Sometimes you have to do things like clean the mesh. I find that there are certain actions I've not identified yet, that cause the file to mess the exporter up.

So what I do with a new model is make sure I test major changes with the exporter and import it into DBP, dont forget to save every successful step. It might help to adjust the auto save just in case.

I also test the way I plan on working with a simple cylinder, and test vertex groups, vertex weights, modifiers and armature features then simple animations. The only thing I'm unsure of again is if you can have unassigned vertices or bones

With my final model, If I have to do something significant like add a weapon, I un-parent everything, adjust the vertex groups, then parent again before export.

By the way, I think its necessary to bake the animation, then apply it to the mesh.

Brain111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 20:54
SUCCESS!!!

I used an earlier version of their export script and it works perfectly. Also, i figured out that it is very important to apply the rotation of the mesh and the armature by selecting each one seperately and hitting CTRL+A. This has to be done BEFORE you parent the model to the armature. Im including my .blend, my .x, the dark basic code, and the script, which you will have to copy into your blender/.blender/scripts directory.

That was the best feeling ever to see that work.

Attachments

MikeB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 11:37
Will this work in DarkBasicClassic?

E.D.

Shame I can't change my name
Brain111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 23:57
I dont think it will work in the classic verison because DBC doesn't support bone animation, does it?
Maflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 00:51
I dont think it does, but I think you can still export animation. Its just not as pleasant to do.

03apples
Years of Service
User Offline
i dont think this has come up. When i export a cube with a normal map that i got from the internet (i also tried a bump/height map) and i put it in darkbasic pro with the 'set bump mapping on' command and it crashes and when i take out that command and just load the model it works. What do i have to do to get the bump mapping and other maps to work on blender?
03apples
Years of Service
User Offline
does anyone know what what to do? I think you hav to use shaders to use maps but i cant figure out how to use the shaders correctly and i need a correct shader to use maps.
Maflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 18:32 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2007 18:34
Well, blender can only export a normalmap, and I think that doesn't even work fully in Blender let alone when exported to DBP. Try posting in one of the shader threads if you want to know more about what DBP does with normal maps/shaders.

03apples
Years of Service
User Offline
i dont know whta shaders to use. I dont get what to do with shaders, but i think they can be used to apply the bump maps or normal maps. Do any of you know a good shader for normal mapping and once i get it what do i do? I think i have this shader made by evolved called normalmapping 2.0. I tried using it but when iuse it it doesnt apply the normal map all i see is the texture. It would also be great if there is a good tutorial on how to use shaders for darkbasic pro.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 20:41
Quote: "Well, blender can only export a normalmap,"

You can export the occlusion map if you felt inclined to do so.

You could always load the normal map in to blender as a texture image and then in the "map to" section have it applied to the UV. Then you can load the actual texture map in and have it mapped to UV as well. and then mess with the blending options.

Here is an awesome link. This will teach you all you need to know.

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-236/normal-maps/

Cheers,
Dave

03apples
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 02:59 Edited at: 24th Jul 2007 04:26
when i put in the normal map in blender and set the "map to" tab to nor and other stuff i exported it to a .x file and copied the the DirectX file, texture and the normal map into the darbasic pro directory and when i run my game the 3d object and the texture only shows up and thre is no bumpy illusion.

EDIT: I think the shaders are not working becuase my graphics card does not support it, but i dont know why they work in blender when i render my object(im thinking it has to do with openGL)
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 13:26 Edited at: 12th Sep 2007 13:26
awesome tutorial

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 03:43
03apples:

you have to have your own bump/normal mapping shader in order to use bump/normal maps. just exporting it with the normal map applied isn't good enough.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-10 00:44:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-10 00:44:49