Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Official Winners of Sep. Level Design Comp./Play the levels.

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 14:22 Edited at: 9th Oct 2006 14:26
OK, the day is finally here. Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to all the contestants for your participation. We had quite a good turn-out this month. Winners may list their choices of a prize here (to see the list, go here). All decisions are final; it looks like the bar was raised again this month.

I'd like to thanks all the judges for donating their time, as well as all the prize sponsors.

Great work people.

1st Place: Benjamin

2nd Place: Divian

3rd Place: Filya

Runners Up:

Prince

Higgins

Opposing Force

Zaibatsu

Zecharia

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 14:28
Do we get to see our scores, aswell?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 14:42
I gave the judges several criteria to rate; each one was worth 5 points. Ben took 1st with 125 pts., Divian took 2nd with 105 pts., Filya took 3rd with 101 pts.

Filya, Higgins, and Prince were all fighting for 3rd place; Higgins had 85 pts., and Prince had 90 pts. These are the only scores that will be posted. Again, great work people.

-Keith

Michael S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 14:53
Congratulations guys!

Divian
Years of Service
User Offline
First, Congrats Benjamin!
Second, thanks everybody, I am honored to take 2nd place. This certainly gives me the motivation to continue and push myself and see what else I can do. It was a fun experience.

Thanks again, and congrats to everyone who won!
bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Congratulations to the winners.

Project FPS - 71%
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 16:32
Iam just wondering if any one finished my level?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 17:55
I haven't had a chance to download it yet.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 18:09
Ive played all of the winning levels, and I can say, Iam not too impressed with some of them, Bens was quite good and in my opinion, I think Filya should have been second.

Divian had a confusing wall of switches and some of them wouldnt even work, I couldnt finish his level. I couldnt finish Bens, either, but only because I didnt try hard enough to find the code, but I couldnt find the room to enter it either.

Filya's level made me think a monster was goingto pop up behind me, kind of reminded me of "Fade to Black" the old sci fi game which looks like rune scape.

Prince
Years of Service
User Offline
Congrats to winners and runners up!!!!
That was some hell of a contest... looks like it was very close.. the thrill of a tie breaker was so much fun. I am wondering what was the tie breaker? I am gonna play other levels and see the depth of everyone's imagination

I am sure its gonna be difficult to answer this but is it possible to know where we lost points or where did I lose in the tie breaker. It will surely be a learning experience and good tips for future.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 19:11
I'm pretty sure the judges will be posting some comments on the levels later; I have a few comments from one of them that I can post in a bit.

-Keith

Prince
Years of Service
User Offline
That sounds good.. Its good for everyone so that they know what to improve on and what to look for
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 19:24
This is thrilling!! Simply thrilling!!

First of all, congratulations to Benjamin and Divian!!
Prince, Higgins, its a pity a tie-breaker had to decide. But congratulations nevertheless!
And everyone else who participated, the judges,the sponsors and everyone at the forums, thank you so much for making this possible!

@higgins thank you so much for your comments

@Keith Yes, it would be great if all the judges could write a few comments on each level. It would surely help everyone understand what they could have done to make their level better.

Once again, thank you all for everything. The past month has been an absolutely wonderful time for me.

-filya

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 19:26
Congrats to the winners! I am downloading the levels now.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 20:22
Thanks for all the congrats, feels pretty cool to have won this one, especially since it's not my normal peice of cake at all.

Congrats to all of the other winners! I'm downloading the other entries and will play them later. I only had time to play Divian's entry and that was pretty cool.

Keith should I email you to claim the prize I like and give you the theme of the next competition?

If possible I'd love to see the judging motivation also.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 20:52
Benjamin, you can post it here, the theme, that is. Every one who has won, has posted the theme in the forums so every one can get ready, or you can tell Keith and keep us waiting, which I dont like as much

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 21:02
Nope; just post the theme here, as well as the prize you want. Then the 2nd and 3rd place winners can choose their prizes.

-Keith

westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 21:43
Benjamin:-Played your game and liked it very much.My only quibble,which is beyond anybodies control,was the loading time which was horrendous.Please TGC try and do something about this in the coming updates.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 21:58
The loading time is pretty long on my Maze Level as well, and it's less than 38MB.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 23:21
I know the loading time is long and I do hope in future TGC will be able to speed things up for us!

I've made up may mind about the price, since I've got a good number of the items on the price list already, I'll go with the cash, that's always welcome. Btw was Jon's weapon pack the extra for this months winners or next months?

I'm still debating on the theme for next month, but I do think I'm going to go with adventure/rpg, I'm not sure what to name it.

Basically what I would love to see is a game more along the adventure/rpg line. A game where a story unfolds while you're playing the level and the story if being told/unfolded by other characters in the game.

Here are the 3 ingredients that need to be in the game....

[1] Characters tell/unfold the story. The tell the player what's going on or what needs to be done.

[2]The player must collect at least 3 items that have something to do with the story. Not just some keys, but something like fragments of the holy grail or top secret nazi documents that help put nazi criminals in jail and so on.

[3] Lastly the player must make at least one rescue that will be vital to the outcome to the game. You can make this as you like. For example let the rescued character follow you to a certain point and a door will open. Or by finding the 3 items, a door opens somewhere and enter it and meet the character that needs to be rescued, it thanks you for the rescue and you will win. Or whatever you make up yourself.

The setting doesn't matter, go outdoors, indoors, scifi, ww2, fantasy, modern day, anything goes. You can also add enemies, but you're not required to do so, but they have to be related to the story.

This should be a nice challenge, so put your creative mind to work and to give you an extra stimulation, I'll be giving all of the 5 top entries choosen by the jury an extra price. It may be one of my exsisting packs or perhaps the new one I'm working on if I do finish it on time.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 23:28
Jon's 2nd Pack (now Model Pack 5), is for next month's contest. It's good to see that you haven't broken the tradition of 1st place winners taking Rich's hard-earned cash; I would've done the same. At least he knows his prize is popular. If you haven't already, get in touch with Opus Games for you prize.

Sounds like a great idea for a theme; we'll have to hash out the particulars in a bit.

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 23:29
You have the option of being a judge for this one, or participating in it. Which one do you want to do, Ben?

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 00:13 Edited at: 10th Oct 2006 00:14
Ben, you have broke both my legs with asking for a soild script ran game, I have no clue how to write or use them, so Iam going to play games.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 00:19
@benjamin I liked your game. Nicely thought of and made. I liked the black/white concept To be honest, I collected 9 different letters, but by then lost all my lives lol..the zombie docs/nurses got me cornered..lol
The RPG/Adventure idea sounds simply great

@Divian Nice game. Got startled more than once. I couldnt finish this one too Ran out of ammo. So couldnt kill all the prisoners (I dont even know whether thats required). I just couldnt figure out the 'keyword' and so took a lame attempt at one of the large boxes. Was the wrong one I guess :p

But congratulations to both of you. Nice to have my game rated along yours

I shall be trying out the other entries too soon enough.

-filya

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 00:20 Edited at: 10th Oct 2006 00:22
You don't need to write any scripts for this at all, if you don't want to.

Here are some hints: For the characters telling the story, just place them in the storyzone object. Since it's only one level the bug will not show up and as far as I know the bug has even been fixed by now.

For the 3 items, just make them pickups and attach the pickup script to them.

For the rescued person use the follow script or place it in a trigger zone.

In other words be creative..... don't let your mind be limited by using the same old shooter scripts over and over again. Everything needed to create such a level comes with FPSC.

By the way Keith, I'll enter. Got nothing ready, so I'm at the same starting point as everyone. If I'm in the top 3 next time, then I'll judge the month after it.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 00:28
Ill see what I can create then

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 00:29
OK; all 3 judges are invited back for October's contest, just let me know if you're on board.

-Keith

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 01:01
sorry keith, judging was a much bigger challenge that i thought it was going to be. i dont think i will be judging the next contest.

i may try my hand at enetering though, if mods are allowed that is...

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 01:49
congrats winners!
I'm downloading the levels now.

(jon's core pak.2 is noe officially model pack 5? wow, i will enter this months contest.)

Steam Assassin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 02:39 Edited at: 10th Oct 2006 02:39
Congratulations winners!

...and runners up I guess...

I don't think this next theme is my cup o' tea, so I'll wait for another one.

I used to have one of those signs, but then realized how annoying it was...
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 03:02
Quote: "I don't think this next theme is my cup o' tea, so I'll wait for another one."

um, they haven't said what it is yet.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 03:03
Ben has.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 03:05
Nice work everyone.

Steam Assassin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 03:08
Quote: "um, they haven't said what it is yet."

You're correct, "they" haven't said what it is, but Benjamin has.

I used to have one of those signs, but then realized how annoying it was...
electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
Well this theme is'nt my cup of tea either but I'm gonna give it a shot. When would the deadline be? We are already a short ways into the month. How about deadline of Nov 1st?
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 04:35 Edited at: 10th Oct 2006 04:36
Quote: "but Benjamin has"

oh, i didn't read his post, hmm, parhaps i will enter, or maybe i will wait until november.

Is there gonna be upload info, a new thread and all that stuff?

Serathii
Years of Service
User Offline
Winter break (or next big vacation I get, as soon as I finish my pathfinding and machine learning in Game Maker) I've got to give some 3D program a try. Torque looks nice, but FPSC seems to be the one with an active community and nice contests.

(I've got to say, though, the physics seem to be the exact same in all of the games. Is that hardwired into the engine?)
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 16:36
@Tim: I understand, thanks for taking the time to judge this one.

If we can get the things hashed out for the next competition, we can start on the 15th of October, and finish on the 15th of November; then start the next one on the 1st of December, and so on.

I've heard rumors of an upcoming TGC sponsored contest; I have no idea when it's going to start, but if it intersects the Monthly Level Design Competition, will people still want to participate in this competition? We'll need to have more than just 2 or 3 entries to make this competition viable; there's been a good response so far (more entries every month).

Ben and I can hash out the particulars about this next competition; then I'll post a similar "Rules" thread for the October Competition. If anyone has any other constructive input for the upcoming Level Design Comp., let us know here.

Make sure Divian and Filya post what prize they want here (Divian has next choice, followed by Filya), so we can wrap that up and contact the relevant prize donors.

-Keith

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 17:27
I'll go in the next one even if the TGC one intercepts, cause I've never had any luck with those (for DBP)

Want FPSC content? Click Here!
Want to get your content there? Send us an e-mail!
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 17:34
Ive just come back from an eye screening, and my vision is blurred for the next 2 hours.

I go away on holiday for a week, soon, maybe in 2 weeks, il have to check with my dad when that is, because I want to win that money and jons pack

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 17:40
@ Keith
Makes sense. Most people here wont have time to participate in 2 contest at the same time.
But I am pretty sure you can talk with TGC about their plans and make sure both contests dont overlap.

Regarding the prizes, I guess its only Divian who needs to decide on his prize. I get the leftovers

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 17:42
filya, fancy swaping eyes for your prize?

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 17:53
Higgins, blurred eyes for those prizes??? no way

p.s: I am still sure your eyes are better off than mine (-3.75 and -4.00 glasses)

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 17:55
Quote: "If anyone has any other constructive input for the upcoming Level Design Comp., let us know here."

Just because you asked. I've seen it said here already, and I feel the same Way.

Quote: "I don't think this next theme is my cup o' tea, so I'll wait for another one."

The themes seem to be getting more and more specific, and I believe you are going to be leaving out some people who feel this way.

Quote: "[1] Characters tell/unfold the story. The tell the player what's going on or what needs to be done.

[2]The player must collect at least 3 items that have something to do with the story. Not just some keys, but something like fragments of the holy grail or top secret nazi documents that help put nazi criminals in jail and so on.

[3] Lastly the player must make at least one rescue that will be vital to the outcome to the game. You can make this as you like. For example let the rescued character follow you to a certain point and a door will open. Or by finding the 3 items, a door opens somewhere and enter it and meet the character that needs to be rescued, it thanks you for the rescue and you will win. Or whatever you make up yourself.
"

That is not a theme. These are specific requirements.

The theme;
Quote: "Basically what I would love to see is a game more along the adventure/rpg line."

is not what this software was intended to do. Hence the FPS in FPSCreator.

Benjamin, this is not directed at you or your choice, you like what you like. I just think that it's getting to the point where some are going to loose interest if they can't create something they enjoy creating as well. Of course the rules were made, and it's too late to change them now. I will continue to watch the contest with great interest, but not compete unless or until a more broad theme is selected. (I really don't like RPG's)

Just my thoughts. Don't kill the messenger.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 17:58
xplosys, it seems you have little faith in game design. A good game designer will make a crappy game, good. You can do any thing with fpsc, and this has been proven many times, by many users.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 18:10
Higgins, your new-found faith in FPSC encourages me. Just a couple of months ago you were telling everyone how bad it was, with numerous bugs and unusable frame rates, and that you were not using it any more. I'm glad you now find it as wonderful as I do.

While I agree with you on the wonders of FPSC, it doesn't change the fact that I don't like RPG's or spending a lot of time developing something I am not interested in. That was more my point, which is why it is what most of my post above discusses.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 18:14 Edited at: 10th Oct 2006 18:15
Keith and I haven't worked out the details yet, so it may still change.

Even though the software is called FPSCreator, you'd be suprised what you can do with it, a adventure/rpg is very possible, be it not on a huge scale perhaps, but you can create a game along those lines for sure. The 3 requirements posted are just to help people on the way and I even gave hints how to accomplish it.

This months theme, wasn't exactly along the FPSC lines, was it? Still it was totally possible.

But, if my theme isn't suitable at all and if it's going to hurt the competition, then by all means tell me so, and I'll consider something else. We all want the contest be a succes.

But that doesn't mean everyone needs to enter. I didn't enter each competition. If I don't like the theme or can't do anything with it, I'll just wait for the next one.

All I thought with my theme is that it just might be a cool challenge to create something else then what we're doing normally. After all the competition is designed to push us to the edge and let us try new things also.

I haven't made a adventure/rpg type of game either, but to me it's sounded like a challenge to try it and I do hope others will see that also.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 18:15
My level was crap. I rushed it.

http://teammegabasic.proboards59.com
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 18:16
I didnt know you never liked RPG's, I like any type of game, besides sport games. We will have to wait till Ben comes on and says what he really wants doing. But it seems like its a n RPG/Adventure theme.

(By the way, my sight is coming back )

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 18:30
I dont know if my thoughts hold much weight here, but I feel its a great idea to explore different themes rather than stick to one kind of game development.

I do agree that FPSC is used for creation of FPS games, but it shouldnt be impossible to try and create a simple RPG type game. After all we have the choice of creating/using custom scripts, custom segments, custom entities.

Its a good idea to test the limits of your own imagination/creativity along with the limits of the software itself.

If anything, I think its going to be fun working on it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 23:24:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 23:24:10