Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Official Winners of Sep. Level Design Comp./Play the levels.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 18:38
When I first toyed with the FPSC demo, I immediately saw possibilities beyond the obvious. If you look at the content being produced here today, it is obviously capable of more than it's namesake. I wish I had not put that line in the previous post. It was taken wrong and it was not my point... which is simply this:

In my opinion, the more you constrain peoples artistic ability with rules and conditions, the the less interested and willing they are to perform to their best standards, if the choose to perform at all, unless it just happens to be something they are interested in. Higgins brought up sports games. If the theme was a sports game that had to have at least 6 players and you had to win by 2 points, how many people would participate?

I would think that if you want more participation, you open up the contest and remove the constraints to peoples imagination. Again, this is just my opinion and I am not forcing it down anyone's throat. The contest has been established and is what it is. Keith asked for constructive comments and I thought this was something to think about. I don't want to step on any toes here, and again Ben, no offense intended to you at all.

BTW: Your level was fun.

Thanks for your consideration.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 18:44
Any one played my level yet? The one I spent 2 days on because model pack two srewed up my other?

Prince
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow.. before I went to bed there wasnt much on here.. and now the discussion has really picked up I like it.

Just to pour in my thoughts. As I mentioned earlier, it is a good thing to test everyone's imagination and see what comes out of it. I agree with xplosys to a certain extent that the theme right now is too specific rather than just saying its adventure/RPG.

May be its too early to say since exact guidelines havent been chalked out, but I would suggest to have something like "Adventure/RPG theme and the goal of the game (may be), how you go about it is to each one's imagination."

I am not a big fan of RPG or horror themes but its a good experience giving a shot at it, you always learn something outta it.

@Higgins: As you had mentioned to have a 15 day time limit, I think a month is good enough (though I found even that wasnt enough ) since we all have something else going on and it helps to have little more time on our hands, especially those who are a bit new to FPSC.

@Keith: I guess there should be a good turnout for this contest even if it coincides with TGC contest. After reading about it, TGC contest seems to be on a bigger scale and I am not sure if there are many who can devote much time and resources to that. It all depends when we have more information about TGC contest.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 20:02
Quote: "Keith asked for constructive comments and I thought this was something to think about. I don't want to step on any toes here, and again Ben, no offense intended to you at all.

BTW: Your level was fun. "

Thanks No offense taken at all, we're just discussing these matters and it's good to hear everyone opinion.

Perhaps I shouldn't have posted the 3 guidelines, they're probably to specific indeed, it's better to have a theme only. I guess just Adventure/(small)RPG would do well enough and everyone figure out what he/she can make of it.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 20:05
Benjamin, Ive been thinking about the guide lines you put down and I think I want to do them. I already have my idea, I just need to start it, but it wouldnt be any good to start, if you change the theme.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 20:42
The theme will not be changed, I'm certain about advunture/rpg, but the guidelines may just be that, guidelines, not mandetory.

Don't start yet anyway.... just wait for the final word from Keith.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Walking Dead Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 20:43
Quote: "[1] Characters tell/unfold the story. The tell the player what's going on or what needs to be done.

[2]The player must collect at least 3 items that have something to do with the story. Not just some keys, but something like fragments of the holy grail or top secret nazi documents that help put nazi criminals in jail and so on.

[3] Lastly the player must make at least one rescue that will be vital to the outcome to the game. You can make this as you like. For example let the rescued character follow you to a certain point and a door will open. Or by finding the 3 items, a door opens somewhere and enter it and meet the character that needs to be rescued, it thanks you for the rescue and you will win. Or whatever you make up yourself."

My suggestion: this could be reworded so that these are just suggestions (and not specific requirements). I agree with xplosis that too many requirements/restrictions puts constraints on people's imagination. If you just stick to a theme and allow more individual creativity, you will get much better participation.

When there's
no more room in HELL
the dead will walk the EARTH
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 20:57
The theme has been chosen, and it is now set in stone. The theme is Adventure/RPG. When people think about Adventure/RPG, they usually think about chainmail and Dragons...this is not mandatory, visually. You can use any genre/look you want. From the looks of it though, you will have to have some sort of story that is entwined with this Level.

My question now is, do you all want this to run a bit longer this time (i.e., October 15th-Nov. 30th)?

-Keith

Prince
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm I guess a little more time would be good.. not necessarily Nov 30th.. May be oct 15th - nov 20th or 23rd so that judges have enuf time to get their results out and the next contest can start by dec 1st...

Also since its relatively unknown territory of adventure/rpg in FPSC, which not many have worked on.. more time should be ideal...

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 22:03
More time could help, as I seem to do noting for the first 17 days then get my final idea. I need to write a story this time, so I know what will happen. But at least I have my idea set, I just need to start it.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 22:48
I think October 15th-November 20th is probably the way to go. Then the next one could start on the 1st of December.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 23:58
seems good to me as well. Not short so it rushes people and not long enough to stretch out too much.

Keith, I guess you will be making a new thread with all the details then?

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 00:23
Yes....soon.

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 01:36
hmm, I think i will wait for December, RPG stuff isn't exactly my specialty. Can't wait to see what people will come up with though.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 02:02
I know Jon's CorePack 2 (Model Pack 5) is available for October's Comp.; I'm not sure TGC will extend the offer again.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 02:05
I thought TGC where offering model pack 5 to all 3 winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) so that each person gets two prizes on the one off.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 05:32
Looks like you're right, Higgins; all 3 winners have the option of choosing CorePack 2 (Model Pack 5) for their prize if they choose (according to Jon's reply to my post).

-Keith

Divian
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the idea of an adventure/RPG theme, although I have no exploding ideas at the moment.

As for the prize (sorry, wasn't sure if 2nd got one) if its still available I would be happy to recieve BenjaminA's Landscape Pack. That pack looks really nice.
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
heh, the theme is now rpg? i'm glad i didnt throw away all my work with fpsc in the past i think i might make something for this competition

One is the lonliest number...
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 17:39
Nobody took that yet, Divian. Shoot Ben an email to set up your prize. Have fun with it.

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 17:47
One more thing I'd like to say about Jon's Model Pack 5. I believe one of the reasons TGC agreed to allow it as a prize for October's Competition, is because Jon promised it as a prize before agreeing to distributing his pack through TGC. Therefore, Model Pack 5 will most likely only be available as a prize for THIS COMPETITION ONLY.

I don't beleive TGC will support this competition in the future with any of it's media as a prize (since this is member-run). So I'd like to thank TGC for agreeing to do it this once; but I wanted everyone to know that this is most likely an exception for October's competition only.

-Keith

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 18:08
So say I win this next contest, I can pick jons pack and pick another?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 18:12
I'm working something out.

Prince
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea that sounds pretty logical and cooperation from TGC is always appreciated.

@Keith: I thought you were going to post comments from the judges and tell us what was the tie breaker. Just curious More important is the comments on our games if we can know

Thanks Keith
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 18:33
These are from Bullshock:

Divian- i liked it at first, but after playing it a while it got kindof repetitive.
i did jump a few times, like when i opened doors, and that gave you points on the horror
theme, but besides that, all it had going for it was the darkness. but good puzzle though.

Benjamin- At first i was very annoyed with the loading times, which lowered your gameplay score,
but as soon as the game started i was in awe. completely original media as well as puzzle theme.
and the door in the dark was exelent, it took me a while to find it. this should be a
model for other game developers. exelent quality.

Opposing Force- game had essentially no horror theme or puzzle, exept for the few cult guys in the game.
the custom guns had no sounds or animations, which made shooting unenjoyable.

Prince- Game started out ok, but then got kindof repetitive.
there wasnt really a puzzle element, it was basically loking for a key
or switch to do something, which is in my opinion borting and uncreative.
The fire in the game was to deadly. most games dont hurt you with fire, so i walked
into it unknowingly and instantly died from it. it should just hurt you slowely.
i did however get scared when i walked into the room with the skeleton and
the rocket launcher.

Filya- Game was quite repetitive and didnt really have a horror theme besides the darkness.
i didnt know how to get past the fire, so i ran thru it, read the signs and ran thru
it again. i died, but respawned and i was able to get back to the switch.

Zaibatsu- This game had no puzzle element at all. it was a straight repetitive walk thru of
model pack 4s zombies. i did however like the last enemy. he was unussually hard,
how most FPSC AI should be. definatly props on that, that was the first time i actually
almost died by an enemy in FPSC.

Higgins- The lighting was good, and i liked the door-behind-dresser thing, but it was basically the
same old find the key, open the door routine. no real puzzle element.

Zach- very repetitive. same wall and floor texture thruout the entire map. no visible
horror theme exept for the zombies, which were all the same and poorly placed.
no real pouzzle, exept a lot of doors, and you had to just guess which one to go in...
it had custom sound, but the music did not at all fit with the theme.

-Keith

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 18:38
Guess I lost points for having no real puzzel

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 18:56
thank you for the comments Bullshock.
and thank you Keith for posting them.

er..Bullshock...you didnt 'have' to go through the fire There was another way.
But about the repititiveness, yeah...I agree. I tried (over-tried actually) not to make a puzzle too hard to not be able to complete without dying.
Thanks a lot again. These comments will surely help me.

Prince
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Keith

@Bullshock: I guess you are right. I tried to do things differently but I guess that wouldnt be as creative as doing new creative things .. I'll keep that in mind next time

Appreciate your comments
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 19:50
Thanks Keith for posting Bullshock's reasons for judging, very insightful.

Quote: "Benjamin- At first i was very annoyed with the loading times, which lowered your gameplay score, "

I'm annoyed with the loading time also, but couldn't find a good solution to lower it. When I finished the first concept it was even worse, I brought it down as much as possible. I'm starting to believe that whenever you use custom media, the loading times do increase.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 20:02
I used all TGC media in the October Maze Level, and it still takes 2.5 minutes to load up (37MB file).

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 20:23 Edited at: 11th Oct 2006 20:24
I dont see why the loading time would depend on whether we use custom media or not. After all, even with the default stuff, the game still has to load all the .x,.dds and .fpe files.

Also, I dont think height (or the layers) of the level have anything to do with the load time. I think Ben's level just had 2 floors?

All I can think of is, maybe the more deifferent media you use (entities+characters+segments), the more the load time. It makes sense that way since then the game has to load so many .x,.dds,.fpi and .fpe files.

But inspite of all that, I think Ben was just unlucky to have such a bad load time. And I dont think he should have lost points for that. It isnt as if it was in his grasp to change that.

edit : keith, I had sent you an email today morning. Checked it yet?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 20:28
I recieved it, and am sending a response now.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 03:09
If the prize donors could let me know here what they intend to offer for next month's competition; I'll start compiling a list now. Thanks.

-Keith

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 03:22 Edited at: 12th Oct 2006 03:43
So? will the theme be rpg? because i already made 3 levels

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 03:33
I can't garentee it at the moment, but maybe sometime during the comp I can donate Decal Maker 6.0, but since it's still in production it will be awhile before I can say yes or no.

Want FPSC content? Click Here!
Want to get your content there? Send us an e-mail!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 03:50
@Lucifer; yes it's RPG.

That'll work Airslide, I can always add it later.

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 04:02
Keith, you can add my Horror Accessory Pack to the prize list.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 05:11
OK; thanks Luke.

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 05:22 Edited at: 12th Oct 2006 05:27
I was thinking about putting up a massive segment pack as a prize, and I most likely will if you are interested, but is there any added befefit to putting up a prize (like being a judge or something)? I was just wondering.

by the way there are 101 floors, and 58 walls in the pack.

It's what is going to be part of my media pack that I will be selling, I just didn't want to promise the whole thing because I'm not done with the other stuff yet.
but, yea, I would like to put up some of my stuff as a prize.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 05:36
Well, get the specifics of what you would be putting up as a prize, and let me know.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 05:59
I'm getting to the point where Decal Maker can be ready as a prize, when it is, do you want me to e-mail you about it?

Want FPSC content? Click Here!
Want to get your content there? Send us an e-mail!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 06:22
That would be good, Airslide.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 07:36
I can put some of my work as a prize Keith, but I guess it wont make any sense since I shall be posting all of it on the forums for free use anyhow But do let me know.

Btw, is there a link to Jon's core pack 1? The link in his sig doesnt work and I wanted to have a look before deciding on the prize.

thanks

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 10:34
I've decided on my prize. I'm donating my Landscape Pack 1 or MegaMusic Pack to the top 5. The people who reach place 1-5 can choose which they like most. Keith this prize will be on top of other prizes they can choose. The top 5 entries get this prize as an extra, it's not supposed to co on the choose from list, they get it anyway.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 14:32
Sounds good Ben.

@Filya; yeah, it wouldn't make much sense to put items up as a prize that are free anyways.

If Jon's sig doesn't work (or his web button); then do a search for Redcore.

-Keith

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 14:46
Ill put up my horror pack and my fantasy pack as a bundel pack, Keith.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 14:56
OK; I'll add them, thanks.

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Keith, where will i be able to upload my game so the judges can play it?

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 18:01
Your about 5 years too late.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 18:05
Are you talking about the competition coming up (RPG)?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 23:29:48
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 23:29:48