Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / '.MID' Vs '.WAV'

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 22:33
hmm .. now someone should suggest for a rule regarding the use of source button!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 13:26 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2003 13:27
u havent heard of the MP3 licence? please read other posts and you'll find out what im talking about. and DB/DBPro can read OGG files. Midi r good for making music, then you can record a wav from them. then u can convert it to MP3 if you want to get a licence..

Always has, never will
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 19:04
Why would you make a MP3 of a MIDI, it goes against half the points you made about MIDIs being better. You can make a dll so OOG files work. Speeking of which, if you want to make SNES quality music without the drastic changes on diff computers use SPC format, it's the format SNES music is save on. One could make a dll for that too.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 20:07
I use MIDI for the drums and other instruments. i can use my digital piano if i need it though..

Always has, never will
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 20:08
if MIDI sounds different on different sound cards, then I'll make a wav or MP3 of the MIDI. dont you read these posts properly? ur turning into me..

Always has, never will
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 22:50
I don't know that many people who'd make midi sound good,in fact there only a few...Hell even with Kitaro's talents it'd be hard.

Caught by the Fuzz,well I was,still on my buzz
In the back of the Van,with my,head in my hands
morfeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 01:22
what we have here is a failure to communicate...

mr. quoth, where be those links, arrrrr?
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 03:00
Petrat make up your mind, first you say you don't wanna ude MP3s, now you're say you do? In any case MIDI sucks at anything that has bass. I would only use MIDI if I wash make a game that had a retro feel to it, else it looks goofy. Kinda like having very nice textures in high resaultion with cruddy, blocky N64 quailty models.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 07:33
...my web host (Feature Price) is going out of business at the end of the month, so I have to move quickly to find a new one and have all of my stuff transfered. (The music page is actually done...but will not be uploaded until the UberUpdate) Once the host switch is made, the UberUpdate will come, and all will be good.

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 08:33 Edited at: 24th Apr 2003 08:34
Ugggh...you guys are still arguing about WAV/MP3 vs. MID???
Let's just finish this. MIDI is good and WAV is good and MP3 is good.
They've all got pros and cons.
It all depends on what you, the programmer wants in your game.
If you want to use MIDI, go ahead, it's your program. Same goes for WAV and MP3. So lets just end this pointless, back-and-forth argument once and for all.

...sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting. I'm just tired of the whole MP3/WAV/MID...discussion...argument...thing.

"not all that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost, not all that is old does not whither, deep roots are not reached by the frost..." - Aragorn (Strider)
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 15:28
Agreed.

It's also very simple...If you use Midi sounds and then make an mp3 with them,that's a waste of bytes.

I'm pretty sure you could do some good slapbass'n drums with midi tough.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 15:56
Ok, instead of me explaining a bit, i'll explain all. if anyone actually cares about the difference in sound of different cards, i will convert MIDIs to WAVs or MP3s for them.

In any case MIDI sucks at anything that has bass
Actually, MIDI is great with bass, its just that:

A) you know nothing about music
B) your sound card is crap

I will use MIDI whenever possible, otherwise I will use a sound format.

Ive created loads of cool things with bass so far but I havent shown them to anyone because they are for games

Always has, never will
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 16:15 Edited at: 24th Apr 2003 20:53
-if anyone actually cares about the difference in sound of different cards, i will convert MIDIs to WAVs or MP3s for them

And make a 2megs mp3 outta 4kb of data...Yep,a waste of bytes...

Anyways by the time any of the games in which your music will be in comes out,about everyone's gonna have a sufficiently compatible soundcard with maybe even more effects than in your songs.

-A) you know nothing about music

Instigating this debate doesn't proof the opposite either,hell I'm wondering why you even asked if you're so biased on the subject.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 20:01
Quote: "Instigating this debate doesn't proof the opposite either,hell I'm wondering why you even asked if you're so biased on the subject."
No joke.

Untill there is a way to make MIDI sound the same on all computers and make it sound a bit better (no matter what sound card you got you can tell it's MIDI if you listen) MIDI will play second fidle to MP3s and other audio formats.

Quote: "Ive created loads of cool things with bass so far but I havent shown them to anyone because they are for games"
Once again I say prove it, show me an MIDI with decent bass, hell show me anything that doesn't prove my arugement.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 20:39
Quote: "
Untill there is a way to make MIDI sound the same on all computers
"

Like I said, with DirectMusic you can make Standard MIDI files (and SGT files) sound the same on all computers.

Ogres have layers.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 20:55 Edited at: 24th Apr 2003 20:55
Arrow:You can find awsome midi on http://www.vgmusic.com...they're just not as awsome as wav or it's derivatives.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 00:21
ok, my last post was directed at arrow, so dont everyone get offended (well maybe you arrow bacause I was a but rude..)...

'And make a 2megs mp3 outta 4kb of data...Yep,a waste of bytes...

Anyways by the time any of the games in which your music will be in comes out,about everyone's gonna have a sufficiently compatible soundcard with maybe even more effects than in your songs.'

Well I will only use MIDIs in my games but if someone wants MP3s in their games then I'll convert them . Then if they want MP3s, they are the ones being stupid .

Actarus: I agree that the real instuments are better than the MIDI sounds but if i dont have the real instuments, i have to use an alternative. . I mean, MIDI can play anything you can do on a piano, including cool effects, but its not the same deal with guitars, because they dont use midi :-(. thus you would have to compose something from the MIDI composer using a guitar sound for a track.

Always has, never will
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 03:59
My god you people...

(Yes, that's all I have to say)

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 04:21 Edited at: 25th Apr 2003 04:22
I love VG music, the do some desent work there, some are hard to tell apart from the original medium, in fact the MIDI's on my site are from there, the games page has my fav NES song (shameless self plug #010). However, I still stand by my remark about the bass. You can find desent non-MIDI digital instuments that sound pretty good. I've only been inpressed a few time with original MIDI work, but those were some killer songs, I wish I could remember the Arist.

In all the flames bouncing back and forth, I think the point I was trying to make got muddled. I like MIDI's, but in next generation game they're out of place. I think if your game does more than the N64 could then you're gonna need something more than MIDI quality music.

morfeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 05:24
mmmmkay... i don't really know why i'm doing this... but it should sort some things out. i hope. just check out these links:

http://free.of.pl/m/morghlith/blod12.zip

http://free.of.pl/m/morghlith/lun1boss.zip

the first one is track #12 from blood (PC), the second one is bossfight track from lunar story (PSX), both enhanced with some soundfonts & encoded to .ogg format. original .mid files included. have fun.
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Walter became Wendy :-s .

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2003 21:51
what?

Always has, never will
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 17:28
I just bought Ejay Studio 2 (or something like that) from the bargain bin in my local Co-op for £2.99. It lets you mix 16 midi tracks and 16 sample tracks, and can output to midi (minus the samples) , mp3, wav or cd audio. Problems solved, best of all worlds

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 03:13
It all depends on the original quality of those MIDI samples, that and your own artist ability.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 22:46
right on edzup midi`s suck and mp3`s rule, how can you compare a .mid to a .mp3 i mean there in a totallyy diiferent league, ff8 and ff9 used, it yack yack, so what, the ff series suck(no offence) there just the same, and your shouting at me no this one had oron or whever in, an thingey dies blah blah, its all the same thing. right to prove it send us a link to your best .mid and others a link to the best .mp3 and youll obviously say .mp3 is 190808*better

l8er

----- dark coder -----
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 01:18
the FF music is amazing. and my whole familly think so. plus, the games are great. you just dont like it because you dont. it doesnt mean its crap

Always has, never will
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 04:48
http://www.delvarworld.com
music section

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 07:54
The FF music was great, but have you heard some of Uematsu's arranged remakes, unbeliveable. One can't count out Mitsuda though, 'He who Bears Fangs at God' is one of the best songs ever.

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
xxxpetratxxx I was correcting QuothTheRaven who mistakenly corrected me earlier in the thread.
http://www.hipsurgerymusic.com/Carlos/

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 14:19
oh, lol

Always has, never will

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 04:31:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 04:31:30