Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / Final Exodus

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 06:14
Quote: "btw, is that race Vanguard, or is that the type of ship?"

That's the name of the ship, it used to be the Exodus but the design seemed a bit too basic for my liking, so I shrunk the ship down to 40% of the original size and renamed it, the smaller ships are still called Raptors but they are pretty small so you must zoom in alot to see the names.

The green HUD markers indicate they are from the Human race, Red are svarog, Blue are Sopharan, and I haven't set any colours for the other races, but in the Entry there will only be the 3 races I said.

Also here's some quick concept art I did for the ships of various races, These are some initial designs for the Svarog(Insectoid race/littered around the galaxy)
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6134/sketches1pe3.jpg

The Sopharan race(Very advanced guys that help you out)

Heavy cruiser of theirs ~
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6923/sketches2pk1.jpg
Carrier and Fighter designs, all of this races ships are organic is design.
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5575/sketches3hk3.jpg

Top: Earth ship
Bottom right: A ship that will be shown in a cut scene,
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6541/sketches4hq4.jpg

Also I've written up a coding schedule , so assuming I can keep up with it the game should be completed before the deadline, so I have time to fine-tune the graphics/gameplay and to complete any extra media.

Nabil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 14:32
just wow.

Keep up your amazing work!

i am very impressed by what you have done so far.
im still checking the vids out.

*gasp* i guess my jaw is stuck

allready having comercial quality

cant await future vids and shots
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 10:19
Ok I improved the game some more now, Things like loading save files with all the ships and what not is all done, I also made guns more accurate as the tracking system I used before was slightly off, now they lead the targets quite nicely, and as you can see in this screenshot I added engine flames(you can see it on the vanguard atlest) I also added engine flares for when you look directly into the engine, battles are now 100% more cool, as I improved the weapons effects and I added noises to them aswell, Also my music guy has finished the tracks I asked for (Thank cheeez ) so now when you get into battle the music transitions into some fast paced music, or more subtle music if you aren't in battle.

better pic of the hydra and the engine effects,

I'm now going to work on finishing the engine and adding more rts features like ship constructions, researching and scouting of planets, aswell as non ship combat AI.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 13:13
Ultimate Pwnage

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 15:18
man, very very nice.

the graphics are very clean and just look downright cool

I am a fan of this type of game (played homeworld for hours) and even thought about making my own at one point, yours is looking great!

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 09:19
Wow! I just saw your entry today and it's really great! I'm seeing a winner here!
Really, with your gameplay and your graphics, you have a great chance of winning the competition!

Programmers does a big participation in a game, yet they have the least credit.
Portfolio: http://mike-inel.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 03:54
Will this by chance play anything like homeworld? Because if it does, that will totally make my day.

I love your graphics, and the scale of everything.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 08:53
Yea homeworld was one of my main inspirations, the main differences would be the galaxy view, from which you can send ships to different systems, whereas homeworld you could only play one system at a time, and also you can pilot any ship you own and the controls are similar to freelancer, in that the ship flys to where to mouse is pointing and so do the guns, anyway the game engine is almost done, I just need to finish off some basic things and I will spend tomorrow polishing it all off and adding any new ships I haven't made yet.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 14:35 Edited at: 15th Feb 2007 14:35
wow!

dude... this
Quote: "from which you can send ships to different systems"

and
Quote: "and also you can pilot any ship you own and the controls are similar to freelancer"

are exactly what i was planning on doing when i was going to make a game like this... so i have a feeling i'll love this game!
*is also glad that you are in japan... that is where you are right?*

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 18:42
Yes! Do you know that Homeworld I just about my favorite game ever? I'm really liking the sound of this. I'm liking it a lot.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 00:57
Just posting to say I've entered the game, there's only 2 things which I didn't have time for to code :/, Missions and the Voice Overs, however should something come of that possible publishing deal . So the main mission in my entry is to search out new systems and to destroy all Svarog forces while researching and defending any systems. It's a shame that I didn't get a chance to add in missions as my storylines I had planned were pretty cool IMO , but never the less the game is still fun.

If you look at the first post I added the latest screenshots showing off some new additions to the game, fleet and enemys (no longer attacking allied ships with different colours ) I've also attached a video to this post which shows gameplay and various cool things. The final compile stands at just under 5.6K lines(with virtually no comments ).

Anyway good luck to everyone else, I can't wait for the results .

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 19:56
Awesome vid. I hope you add missions (or better yet, chapters) and a story, even if you don't get a publishing deal, though I'd say you're the most likely to get it, band of what I've seen and the genre.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 01:26
Amazing! looks very playable and the visuals are great!

Hope you do well with this one.

Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 13:10
Awesome Dark coder, hope you do well!

Incidentally, what shader are you using for the engine glow effect?
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 13:16
The engines flares don't use any shaders, they are just ZDepth disabled plains pointing at the camera and they get hidden/excluded when they go behind ships or other things, the ships use Bloom and Normal Mapping though, so if you look at certain angles they are bright and glow, the Engine flames are also plains but they are rotated on their Z axis toward the camera, and they randomly scale(flicker) to make them look less static and it looks awsome ingame .

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 14:31
Quote: "the Engine flames are also plains but they are rotated on their Z axis toward the camera"

i've always wondered how that is done... (when you have a non-square plain you want to point and the camera with just one-axis)

i've done it in my game when i know they are going to be a certain orientation, but in yours they could be flying all over the place right?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 14:48
Quite right, the ships can be at any angle and the flames will look the same, I also used this in the Galaxy menu for the hyperspace routes, I slightly cheated by using EZ Rotate :p, but it's faster than anything DBP could do, here's the function I use:

Note: The CPX/Y/Z, OAX/Y/Z are constants for Camera Position, and Object Angle(I hate typing the full thing out every 2 mins :p).

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 15:50
I think EZRotate is fairly vital for projects like this, the last time I tried making a space flight system DBPro nearly brought me to tears!

Anyhoo, looking forward to trying this, it looks bloomin excellent - I mean in your video when the battle starts heating up and all the lasers are firing, it just makes me want to take command.

I think that there will be far fewer entries this time round, but damn some of the entries look like being the most polished DBPro games in a long time. Good luck.

Good guy, Good guy, Wan...
Seeting
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 22:24
How can you make such a beautiful effect like these, DC?

Syntax Entertainment
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2007 12:32
Dark coder I have just spent the last hour reading through this post. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is amazing! You have also inspired me to get back to coding! I hope you win, infact I would be very dissapointed if you didn't win!

Tim Will Hack
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey man,

Just watched the video. Looks pretty nasty. I used to play this game on the Dreamcast called 'Armada' I loved it. This looks better than that.

Great job!

Madcents.com
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2007 13:43
Hey there,

I'm a big fan of space related games (am a fan of the SW3D range of games) - and I must say I am heavily impressed! If you need graphical help, I can do (seamless) nebulae backdrops, planet textures, cloud maps and halo's.

Hope to see you progressing quickly, can't wait to see the final result!

tha_rami - the best way to predict the future is to invent it
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 13:02
Loving the explosions! Could you tell me how you did that? I understand if it's a secret

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 15:33
In my functions library I have a particle section which fully supports spawning of textured + animated particles, where you can set things like the position / velocities / texture / animation style / diration / start/end scale etc etc, and to make the ship explosions I basically go through a ,oop of around 50(depends on the ship size) and using a sin/cos wave I emit explosion particles from the exploding hull, and every loop they will fan outwards due to the velocies I have set for them. The particles themselves are just plains pointed towards the camera though.

Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 00:33
I very much hope this isn't dead as it looks like very high quality work like Operation Genocide.

Stay calm and keep a cool head
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 07:28
Thanks , though Operation Genocide was one of my earlier games, and should I get the chance to make a sequel it would be a million times better .

Also this project isn't dead as such, I'm planning my MMO version of this game, which won't be the same game as I'm going to start from scratch, the main difference will be that the online version won't be very RTS like, as you can imagine having merely 10 players in the same solar systems with full fleets would lag alot, so each player will have 1-2 ships, and as it's online your fleet will be of your alliance members, and instead of contructing ships allies will spawn from your ship, however I will have a load more features, such as actual planets (with surface landing) and lots of other stuff.

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 19:33
This is an awsome game. I would love to test it.

Anyway, that multiplayer version seems interesting. You could always create like two modes: One for MMO and one for a LAN with a friend (in which you both have one fleet and everything). Just as an idea .

But merely the MMO part would be very nice. Good luck with it.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 23:46
Oh okay thanks

Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 23:53
Looking forward to it. Btw, I have your old particle function but an update seems to have made it not work anymore and I'm not sure how to fix it. At line 158 it says "Subscript must be Integer or Dword when referencing an array at line 158." Would you happen to know how to fix this?

sirsiddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a little suggestion, I think it would be really cool if instead of a town center type of thing like most rts games, you should have a mother ship or something(can move around and shoot and everything but just really slow, kinda like the monolith from dawn of war if youv ever played it), you could make it massive and build your ships from there etc., oh and how are you ganna do the resource sysytem?

altogether it looks really awsome, I wouldnt doubt you could get this licensed, It looks really good
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2007 06:18
What old particle system? the only place I have released it as far as I know is in my zombies game, but that isn't the latest version of the particle engine, and it should work fine even in the latest DBP.

Quote: "Just a little suggestion, I think it would be really cool if instead of a town center type of thing like most rts games, you should have a mother ship or something(can move around and shoot and everything but just really slow, kinda like the monolith from dawn of war if youv ever played it), you could make it massive and build your ships from there etc., oh and how are you ganna do the resource sysytem?"

Well I won't have towns as such, however there will be planets/solar systems what are controlled by NPCs from which you start in, and in these systems you will be pretty much free from attack, so players will be able to congregate on planet, or inside ships(if I ever add walking around ships) as well as drifting around in space. Large ships will have to be built from a planets shipyard, and you can create smaller ships(fighters) from the larger ships. The resource system in the online version will work in 2 ways, either you manually mine asteroids/ship carcasses for things or you can build resource miners on the planet, however enemies will be able to destroy these, so you would need to put defenses up, however the single player version is a lot simpler than this as I only had a limited time to make it.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2007 22:59
Hi dark coder.
I think you can have all the ships in multiplayergames.
Pass numbers of characteristics of ships (only numbers) to others PC.
Let each PC make the hard calculations.
In this way you pass the states of ships only through numbers.
Wich is less memory expensive.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 06:39
Eh? I cannot have all the ships, because 1 there will be too many ships to render, it has nothing to do with the ammount of data, and things such as drawring the hud would be a right mess with thousands of ships(and slow) ships won't just have characteristics, as each ship will be customizable, so weapon placement is vital not just the stats of the ship. No I cannot allow the client to calculate everything as that would allow hackers to gain the upper hand as you shoudl know, so the server will be required to checkk everything, how else would I pass ship data? and no it has nothing to do with memory requirements, how many games have you seen where you can be on a server with say 1000 players each with a fleet of upto 100 troops/vehicle and any number of these players can abttl eachother at the same time?

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 14:26
Yeah you have the reason.
If the real problem is that, then I don´t know.
Don´t you think there is a solution?.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 14:52
No, besides I want the online version to be about tactics, sure you can have 'some' tactics in an RTS game but it's rather limited as all the units are generally going to have the same outcome against another. If you only have 1-2 ships to design, ie place your weapons / add your own subsystems then it becomes a whole different ball game, as from a first contact you only know what hull their ship has. This doesn't mean that any old ship that's better can destroy it because for all they know they have beamable nukes, and you didn't pack any jamming devices, or they have a cloak etc. So when you have more personal ships you can afford to mess around with very tiny details like this, in an RTS you don't want to spend 30mins placing weapons and building parts for each ship to only have it get destroyed in a few seconds.

But I personally prefer having a first person combat in space, as it relies on user skill which seems to be missing in alot of games these days. Most RPG style games are basically Time Played = the Winner, whereas I want to make it so a pro with a fairly rubbish ship could beat a player who really sucks but has some advanced weapons/systems due to piloting skill. Also with very large ships you can't exactly pilot them due to their general slowness and ammount of guns making it impossible to aim, and because of this problem all players will be able to launch a fighter from their ship to join in with the fun .

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 23:47
It sounds very interesting.
It's sure going to be fun!
I am looking towards the final result.
Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 01:38
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=42544&b=8

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 06:22
Actually that's a very old one I made ages ago :p, I posted my latest one which I use in Final Exodus in this thread http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=100940&b=1 you'll have to scroll down a bit to find my post, this version is very different as you don't create emitters you instead just spawn particles however it's fairly optimized and supports animated texture scrolling .

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 11:29
The multiplayer becomes more and more interesting. More tactics and skill and less tank rush . Sounds very good.
Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 18:31
Thank you Dark Coder.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 14:27
I have a question.
Are you cloning objects?.
i may thik so because you have hundreds of ships.
if you do, then, do you know this problem?:
I'm cloning objects, but it only copies the mesh data and not
the UV data. I'm using texture object but it does nothing.
Do you know a way to sort this?.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 15:24
I'm using a mix of 'Clone Object' and 'Instance Object' , I use clone object for things like collision meshes as you can't setup a collision object with Sparkys DLL using an instanced object.

Also remember that when using Clone/Instance it will copy the base model(original) so make sure you texture that first, and as long as you are using either the latest update or something above 6.0 there should be no problems with cloning objects, I know that the earlier versions had a lot of issues with textures and the like.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 03:16
This game sounds better and better with each update. Multiplayer sounds like lots of fun!

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 13:20
Quote: "Multiplayer sounds like lots of fun!"

Multiplayer sounds awsome!!!
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 20:11
Thanks dark Coder, then I will upgrade it.
When are you realeasing a Demo?
I can't wait no longer
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 07:41
You will be able to download the compo entry when the results are out . The multiplayer game won't be started for a little while as I'm busy on other projects, however it will get done eventually .

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 02:02
This game looks stunning.

Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2007 16:44
Congratulations on getting 1st in the compo!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2007 16:44
Good job on getting first place! Now that you have an amazing comp, I fully expect the multilayer version the be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2007 17:39
Hey thanks guys, and yes it will, though my current PC is more than capable of developing it , I'm currently working on another project for a while so you won't see any updates on FeX too soon, but they will come!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 06:29:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 06:29:33