Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / Fabel Nux: Verse -Bizar Guy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 21:52 Edited at: 20th Dec 2006 22:14
Alright! I have responses, as well as some new questions!

Quote: "It's probably just me, but every time I get near the end of the download it just stops downloading. "

Quote: "I'd love to try it but I'm getting the same download problem as Eek."

Hmm. I tried downloading on multiple computers and internet connections, and on some I found that near the end of the download it would pause for almost 30 seconds, but would then resume downloading. I think it must be a forum problem, as that download link is just a link to the file at the bottom of the post.

Quote: "When I ran it, it f****d up the position of the screen! My screen is now in the bottom right of my monitor, and some of it is off the bottom!!! "

Whoa! Very strange indeed. I think your computer must have problems running DBC games...

Quote: "Things I would improve/add:
Allow user to rotate camera manualy.
Animations of player.
Some dynamic shadows.
On raining levels have occasional lightning flash.

Will you be porting over to DB pro?"

1, See below
2, There are none in this because DBC can't handle bones, but once I go to DBpro, there should be an overflow on different animations.
3, I've considered this, but I don't think it will work with the art. I will of course try it, but it's unlikely.
4, That's a good idea... I'll look into it.
5, yes, that's the next step after the demo, but part of the point of the demo is that it's in DBC.

Quote: "Also, it takes too long to start moving after you press a key."

Quote: "also as diggsey said it takes to long to move after you hit the key... which i understand, because you need to allow the player to choose a direction to throw the block, but it still feels wrong. possibly try using different keys to throw the block in a direction? like "wasd" to throw the block, but arrow keys for movement... (just an idea, don't know if it'd work well)"

Do you mean the time it takes you to rotate? Because aside from that there should be almost no delay in movement. In fact, aside from that the movement is more fluid than Block Verse. I can of course make the rotation speed faster, but there turning will never be instantiations. If you mean how you can't move directly after you drop a block, that's to prevent you from walking under a falling block, which causes no end of problems. I won't add extra controls for dropping the block though... The controls here must be a simple as possible, and like a real person Kel would have a good deal of trouble trying to put set the block down behind him. Perhaps if I understood what the issue was more clearly, I'd be able to propose some better solutions.

Quote: "interesting. honestly although the camera system is pretty impressive, it can be very confusing. It was alright on the smaller level, but sometimes on the other level it was impossible to see where you're going... (for example the camera would be level with the player, and you couldn't know if there was a hole on the other side of the player or not...)"

Quote: "I´m afraid that I have to agree with the others on the camera system though. Even if it´s really cool, this isn´t the right game to use it in. It would be better if you added a manual control as default. The way the camera is now makes it very irritating to play the larger levels."

Heh heh. Prepare yourselves for a speech, my friends.

The Advanced Camera System, and why none of the complaints worry me.
First off, I know better than any how confusing the camera can be at times. This is quite simply, because only half the system is implemented right now. The real reason I chose the winter level for the demo is because it is one of the more difficult levels to camera properly. I was curious how problematic it would be for people. Right now, all the camera does is determine by the arrangement of the blocks, how many cameras to use, where to put them, the best fit type of camera, and the parameters for each camera. It's actually quite a lot it does, but none of it is real time, and to be honest the job it does is still fairly shoddy. I had to do alter the code a bit to make sure it portrayed these two levels correctly. The second half of the camera is the realtime aspect. Even though the cameras it uses are set up, as you've all found out, the transitions between them can be rough, and there are times when you have difficulty determining your depth. I've got some solutions drawn up now to deal with some of the issues people are mentioning, but I'd like to hear how other people think the realtime part of the camera should be handled before I mention any of them. So you see this, like the rest of the demo, is still a work in progress.

One thing I will not do, now or ever, is make the camera manual. Even if I lose the compo because I just can't make the camera completely useable in the more complex levels, I won’t give the player that control. I'm going to be very stuborn about this so please bare with me. Give me time, and I know I can make it perfect.

Two of the four most important things in Verse are art direction and control simplicity. As half the art direction comes from the camera, and much of the simplicity of the controls is the fact that only five key control the character. If the player has control over the camera that's one more control to play attention to, and I can no longer control what is seen to such the degree I want, which actualy changes the gameplay... The other two main things are gameplay and story telling. An early version of the camera as you have seen has the ability to hurt the gameplay, but what about if it worked completely? You would no longer need to worry about the camera, as you'd know everything you needed to see was visible, and would be able to better focus yourself. And the story; well, like any visual medium, the in-level story sequences will need to look interesting, and I'll already have the best fit camera working, and you will have a better sence that the game is the story, and visa versa.

And so everyone understands, this camera system is not just for Verse; It will extend and evolve into all my games, though in each one it will improve and work differently to suit the specific game. If I am successful, I'll never use a player controlled camera again, except in cases where the art direction dictates I should do so.

Quote: "Downloading now. I'll take a listen to the intro music and see if I'm anywhere near as good before offering!
I'll have a go at some music but no promises it will be as good.[/Edit]"

Thanks! It's mostly the way the first half of the song works that I'm interested in for the levels.

Quote: "[Edit]Nice work! I love the camera thingy! Aside from the things you mentioned there isn't much wrong with it. The only thing was that I couldn't always tell which direction to push when the camera initially moved but it certainly added interest over the fixed position Block Verse camera. "
Glad you like it. I've had the same issue with disorientation, and I will try to deal with it. I'm of course open to suggestions that don't involve manually controlling the camera.

Oh yes! Anything between 20 and 30 fps should have looked smooth, and if you got lower, you should probably try on a lower res or color setting.

Now that my mammoth post is finished, I've got to be going. I'll be checking this daily for now though, to make sure I can answer questions and ask my own. I'll be converting to dbpro over vacation, and if I'm lucky, I'll be able to keep everything working.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I got about 20 FPS on 1024*768,32.

Yes, I did manage to download it eventually. My gripes were the same as everybody else's, disorientation from the camera, a bit of a delay the controls, and also I got a white flashing box while I decided which resolution I was going to play in. It hurt my eyes.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2006 10:48
Umm... I think you talked this game up a bit too much.
It is a very nice game, but it is just a puzzle game.

I don't know why you tried to play that down, there's no embarrassment in making a bloody good puzzle game.

Hmmm... maybe I just didn't 'get it', or did anyone else think this? I mean, you kind of talked about it as if it was Final Fantasy or something but as far as I could tell it was just a 3D version of that calculator game.

I guess I just have trouble in believe that you went:
- I want to tell an epic story about a mysterious hero
- I'll make a block stacking puzzle game

Rather than:
- I could make a block stacking puzzle game
- I'll add that hero stuff I wanted to make a game about

Sorry if that sounded overly harsh.
This *is* a VERY good game, I just think you are selling it wrong.

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2006 13:39
Oh yeah! I forgot to tell you my frame rate!

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Radeon 9600 128MB
768MB RAM

And I got a smooth 30fps on 1024x768x32.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2006 14:34
Very good and very smooth, I like it, but with what Chris has said, well for stories I'd go for a similar kind this sort of game has, like push over, his friend looses his packet of quavers down and ant hill.

"Cut down the gods if they stand in your way" - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2006 02:03 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2006 02:44
...I spent a long time considering whether I should post this or not, as it's not a very modest post, and reveals a lot more than I want to about this story until after Verse. I'm sorry if it seems offencive or self indulging to anyone, but it's not intended to be. And I'd rather not be more specific about my own minds working here. But, you now may realize why I'm so offended by the idea of a work of art like the Myst series being made into an first person shooter.

Quote: " got a white flashing box while I decided which resolution I was going to play in. It hurt my eyes."

Well, that wasn't suppose to happen. It won't in the final, because there will be video options in the menu, not tagged on at the beginning.

Thanks for the fps's. Those sound more like what I was expecting for most machines.

Quote: "Umm... I think you talked this game up a bit too much.
It is a very nice game, but it is just a puzzle game.

I don't know why you tried to play that down, there's no embarrassment in making a bloody good puzzle game.

Hmmm... maybe I just didn't 'get it', or did anyone else think this? I mean, you kind of talked about it as if it was Final Fantasy or something but as far as I could tell it was just a 3D version of that calculator game.

I guess I just have trouble in believe that you went:
- I want to tell an epic story about a mysterious hero
- I'll make a block stacking puzzle game

Rather than:
- I could make a block stacking puzzle game
- I'll add that hero stuff I wanted to make a game about

Sorry if that sounded overly harsh.
This *is* a VERY good game, I just think you are selling it wrong."

No, you don't sound harsh. I completely understand what you're saying. And from what you've seen, it makes sence.
So I probably am selling it wrong. But you must remember that not only is this a gameplay demo, it's a wip art piece.

The real problem is that you're seeing a game that was originally heavily gameplay oriented become extremely art oriented, with a good deal of story (I know the gameplay is good, and I know the gameplay I haven't revealed is good, so I'm not too worried about it aside from making the engine work right). I have no clue what it will come out like, as this will be my first "game-art" (technicaly all games are art, but the art of Verse will be more about the art itself than about the gameplay or story, though both those are huge parts of the game). I find the prospect very exiting though, but it might seem very strange after playing a demo that was definitely nothing but gameplay and a bit of the art direction.
I seriously doubt anyone understands right now really (I'm only beginning to myself), and a lot of the ideas that are going to poke their heads in every so often are really mind bending stuff. Be glad I'm not giving hints at the story behind my graphic novel. If you think this is confusing... well, my ideas are a bit on the massive side.
Some of the artists here might be able to appreciate some of what's in the demo below the surface layer, but most people wont see past the surface, (still I'm hoping the surface is good). Of the six layers of sequential art, I'm attacking the inner two right now in a computer game, and I suspect it will take me a few games to get it spot on. Why this is so interesting I doubt anyone has realized yet, and I don't think many will even by when Verse is finished. We'll see. I could also just end up with a big mess.

I'll say this before I completely lose some people into the depths of utter confusion though- the story is not contained in one game. In fact, it's not even contained by a series of games. Verse is only one incredibly tiny part of the story, though it will have a profound impact on everything else. It's story will feel much more at home in retrospect, as believe it or not, the gameplay fits perfectly into the plot and the time line. Just how many games will it take to tell this story? Well... all of them. When I said a story a billion years in the making on the last page, I was referring to the length of the story arc. I've been working on this story for five years (I still have only scratched the surface of most of it), before I even realized it was all one story. Being five years old, some parts aren't are as sophisticated as others, and likewise this is not my most mind bending story arc, but it is the the largest, as well as the one with the greatest consequence. Will I ever finish even the main story arc? Who knows. I sure don't. Maybe I'll change mediums along the way.

Still lost? Watch for updates and may start to make sense... maybe. I can't say, because I've never done this before, and I'm not sure if anyone else has either. I know I'm confusing, but to even begin to explain this over the internet would be like writing a novel. There's enough here to write at least ten.

But say there are those who think in the box and those who think out of the box... from where I am, there's nothing but open space in every direction.
Edit: This isn't unique to me though. It's just a mind set that you get through a certain way of veiwing the world, which comes from a certain way of looking at art. It's all about the art in the end.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I agree with Chris as well. It's seems the art style contrasts the story too much. When I first saw the sig you had with the white background I was thinking you were taking a departure from the cartoony style and try to show us something different (although I love your style) something epic. And while you're clearly trying for something epic I don't feel it works with the game-play and art style.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 03:35
Sorry for not responding sooner. I've been busy. Merry Christmas to all you Christians out there.

I know I responded to this, but…
Quote: "It is a very nice game, but it is just a puzzle game."

To ever say just means you've made an assumption, and in this case, there is no such thing as just a puzzle game. Any game can be big, and it's the story that I've been talking up, not the game I think. What I've been boasting about game wise is how far it's come since block verse, and I'm not trying to say this is the next Half Life. The only really ambitious idea that I'm fully realizing here is the camera, which still has a long way to go. There are other ambitious ideas, but they’re only for polish here. I won't be developing them until later games. Of course there’s no shame in just a puzzle game, but I can’t see why you’d be against a puzzle game being more than just a puzzle game.

I think you've nailed it on the head with your comment, Cian. I was thinking that people were objecting only to a puzzle game focused on story, which really is fairly easy to pull off (and to be honest there aren't many other genres where this story would work well expect adventure, but you’ll see what I mean later). But I can see people objecting to a cartoony game with a serious story, despite how wrong that assumption is. I'm sorry to hear you don't like that though, as all Fabel Nux games are going to have a surreal cartoony look, with varying levels of detail. Only my completely non-fantasy games will look realistic more than stylistic. Sorry if that's a disappointment, but I made that decision over a year ago.

I don't see why a puzzle game can't be epic though. It just means there won't exactly be a bunch of action, which there isn't (though some levels will leave you feeling like there is). And let me make it clear right now that this game is not amazingly epic as it is. Some parts will be, and I hope to leave the player with a feeling that they've become part of something much bigger than themselves, but really Verse is just a small part of a very epic story. The ending to this game won't blow you away even. The biggest feeling you should get from the gameplay alone is "omg, no f***ing way" on the last level maybe, due to insane complexity. The 'wows' will all be centered around the story. I really can't make this clear I guess because this story is rather different than most.

Don't think that cartoons can't be epic though. I'd actually go to say if done correctly, cartoons can be more epic than reality itself. A strange statement, but to understand you need to have a better idea of what a cartoon actually is. First off, you need you know that a comic and a cartoon are completely different things. Comics are an art medium, where as cartoons are an art style. However, both are amazingly underestimated. The human mind is trained to recognize things like faces, which is why you can look at a circle with two dots and a crescent and immediately recognize it as a face. More so, when you think of your own face, what your mind is seeing isn't what you actually look like, but a simplified image with particular features far more prominent than in reality. When you look at a cartoon, you see that cartoon as you or at least as a voice in your head. A common trick in Japanese comics is to make characters that you don’t want the reader to relate to more realistic than the main character. Basically, the simpler an image is, the more iconic it becomes. You can disagree if you want, but you have to admit, it's a lot easier to look at a smiley face and say that it’s you than a painting of George Washington. Cartoons work as icons, and are much easier to digest than something realistic. I can go on, as I’m extremely well versed in this, but the point is that cartoons are much closer to the stuff of thought than the much more detailed ‘realism’ is.

If you can't think of an epic scene you've seen that was a cartoon, then you definitely have had a massive under exposer to cartoons. If some people still doubt that I'll be able to make an epic cartoon, well, it’s always possible that I won't be able to. But it's much more likely that will be a side effect of time rather than a ability if it happens. Because people don’t like the heavy story focus though, I’ll stop hinting about the story for now. Later on, I’ll outline a part of the Verse story, as if you think about it, I haven’t actually told anyone the story in specifics, only posed a few brain teasers. Maybe people are objecting to a cartoony puzzle game having a story deep enough to have brain teasers? Really though, if you played Block Verse, the story is along a similar line, only much deeper and more sophisticated. The epic parts should either make you wow or laugh, depending on how you look at them. I doubt you go away from playing Verse thinking that the story was too deep. If you do, then you’re probably not the type of person to care about a story line as it is, and will just ignore it.

Ok! Now that story is hopefully out of the way, I have a few updates, but recently I’ve had other things to do than programming. I've started to convert to dbpro, and as I knew I would, I'm being bogged down with errors. Most of them were expected though, and right now my only real concern is if I'll be able to get my gravity code to work or not. I have no clue why it doesn't work, but maybe the fifth try at converting it will be the charm. Honestly, there's no reason for it not to work. It must be something really obvious or I would have figured it out by now.

An interesting idea I just implemented, is adjustable time perception, where I can take advantage of everything being hooked up to the timer variable and alter perceived time. It will be a very subtle effect in Verse, but you can imagine all the uses it could have, subtle or not. Say on a rising level you get dangerously close to the rising liquid. What if time were to slow down to make your movements more precise? This goes hand in hand with a panic speed I've added to those levels, where the closer you are to the liquid the faster you move. Another use is that I can speed up time when you're running along going from point a to point b, to reduce wasted time. I’ve also added a pause, where if you’re idle for too long, time slows down a bit, the fov decreases, and eventually where a resting animation will be triggered. I’ve also designed ten levels. I plan to design 50-100 and then pick the best 15-30 for the Compo version.

And to make sure I understand, when people talk about the delay in the controls, they're talking about the turning circle, right? Because I’ve increased the overall turning spend slightly, and made it so you turn faster if your turning 180 degrees.

I have updates on the realtime part of the camera, but I’m hoping to get a few ideas from people before I post what I’ve done… That would be some of the most useful feedback right now.

No new screens until dbpro conversion is complete.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
It's not that I don't like the style. It's just takes a bit of getting used to.

Epic scenes in cartoons, well I can name a lot, in fact a bit too much .

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 22:50 Edited at: 26th Dec 2006 23:07
I am a composer...

I'll download the demo, try to think something of something and post a demo if I get something.

[edit] Sorry, I don't have the time today, and I'm the upcoming period also pretty busy (due to new year ). Maybe some other time then.

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 14:46
Love the demo, can't wait for the final. (Even though I'm not very good at these block puzzles, I muchly appreciate cel-shading and I'll get there in the end )

The story sounds epic, and just vague enough to spawn a series of... artgamestorymasterpieces, even if presenting one in the form of a puzzle game is a bit unorthodox.

... Not that I can comment on the story (not knowing it), but you've typed enough about what it should be like to convince me

Keep coding. Oh, and if you're using DBP's built-in collision commands... I believe they're still broken >.<

I recommend Sparky's dll, if dbp's collision won't do it for you.

-=-=- Activate asshat mode. -=-=-
Warning: This post may contain bloatage.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 05:38 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2007 05:43
Thanks for the comments. That's be great if you could try something, Sven B.

I may go for sparkys, but there's actually very little precise collision here. Sparkys is probably the way to go though.

And I'll release the first of the three story arcs soon, it's about six pages long in rough draft. It should make it very clear that the story is not just something tacked on, but half the reason for playing the game. I may end up just sticking with the first arc for the compo, because it's the shortest and the easiest to program, if a bit cinematic. I recommend re-reading the Truth... It tells you everything that's going to happen, though you'll need to be darn lucky to figure it out with the information I've given so far.

But remember when I said Verse is much more the just a puzzle game? I didn't mean just the story...

I'd like to say that dbpro hates me. I really wish I could enter a dbc game, because that would save me so much time. Intead of spending time building environments and new effects, I'm stuck trying to get things to work in dbpro. I really hate how dbpro automatically does all that stuff to your objects, because it's completely screwed up my graphics, and for some reason I can't fix it... And then there's the fact that my perfectly good gravity code doesn't work for balls in dbpro... If I didn't need a good comp so much I'd be keen to back out and just work on this in dbc. It's not like I want to release a version that is only a tiny part of the story after all.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 15:25
Here's the music...

I called it "Perfect Imperfection"... Long live the irony
It's an mp3 about 1.76MB in size. I didn't make it too long because it will probably be heard for only a minute maximum...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 22:43
Please post your best in game images to the TGC Gallery.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=gallery_upload

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2007 21:31 Edited at: 10th Jan 2007 21:52
Hey, that really good Sven B! If you wouldn't mind, I have just two issues with it. One is that after the guitar twangs there's a small snow sound, and the end sort of cuts off abruptly. I think it would loop really well if that last note sort of faded and fell away rather than just cutting off. Other than that, I can think of all sorts of places I could really use it.

Quote: "Please post your best in game images to the TGC Gallery."

Well... sure!

I've taken 10 screenshots, but I only want to post say 3. If people could tell the their favorite three from the shots bellow, I'd be happy to post the most popular ones in the Gallery.

1st pic
2nd pic
3rd pic
4th pic
5th pic
6th pic
7th pic
8th pic
9th pic
10th pic

Note these are all from the DBC version, as I've had far to little time to work on this the past few weeks, and DBpro is a bit too different from DBC to make a program as large as this anything near an easy conversion. You may recognize the levels, as they're all test levels reused from BlockVerse (I don't want to show the newer levels yet, though yes, I have begun work on them).

I really wish I could enter I DBC game. There's nothing really I need to use in DBpro for this particular game which can't be simulated by DBC, except the speed increase, and boned animations, which I can adequately simulate if I put the time into it.

Edit: These should give an idea of what I want Verse to look like, even if the backgrounds are all outdated, and why I dont want to use many real shaders, if any at all.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2007 22:18
6,7+9 are my choices but they all look great!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 23:40 Edited at: 13th Jan 2007 23:08
Thanks!
So no one else has any preference? If not, I'll upload those three later tonight.

I've been toying around with time perception, and it's been dead useful. I've been trying to make it so time perception keeps the game at playable speeds, as well as helping to make the pace of the game fit the situation. I've also finish making all the controls also be controllable by the comp whenever I want it to be, which works for the cut scenes, as well as possibly a help function, or for whatever other reason I might want the program to take control of Kel.

I've also begun to make the camera find very similar areas that connect and have their cameras apear to blend. It's difficult to describe, but I got the idea when I realized that there was an amazingly better way to do some of the cameras in the jungle test level. It ties in well with the realtime parts of the camera which are slowly making thier way in, adjusting at corners and recognising when there's an angle obscuring depth and adjusting.

If I'm able to convert properly into dbpro for this competition, I think I'm going to give it a special story line just for the compo, as the story calls for some really sophisticated gameplay mechanics.

Some of these mechanics are levels doubling in size every so often while you're in them, which requires a lot of planning in advance on my part, like how to keep track of the players progress during the switch, as well as keeping them from getting stuck in a box. Other sections of the game when outside the puzzle/disruptions call for a free roaming control scheme when in this mode, as well as an entire town or two, with many npcs and a number of strength related simple adventure puzzles. The story is much more than an add-on in Verse, and as it gets down to crunch time, I don't think I'll be able to do any of it justice, let alone the massive number of cut scenes required.

Edit: Well, I've uploaded them. Now I just have to wait for them to be aprooved.

Edit2: Omg! I just discovered why my gravity code didn't work! Ha! I WILL still be able to enter!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 22:08
Hey are those text bubbless just images or are they blank bubbless with text programmed in them if it's in programmy way could you give me some advice how to do them?

I have no soul.. I nobody.. I have no heart.. I have felt in the darkness.. Im the darkness.. Whatever..
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 14:04
Here y go...

Attachments

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 16:34
Quote: "Omg! I just discovered why my gravity code didn't work! Ha! I WILL still be able to enter!"

Yay! Congrats!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 18:09
Quote: "Hey are those text bubbles just images or are they blank bubbles with text programmed in them if it's in programmy way could you give me some advice how to do them?"

Actually, the text bubbles are 3d plains, only pointed at the camera along the Y axis. The text itself is separate jpeg texture, which at some point I plan to replace with an actual text system. However, that will come later (after the compo), as I'm not sure yet how to make it effectively work in 3d, and it's not going to effect the compo version of the game in the slightest.

@ Sven B, thank you!! That's really great. I'm thinking I want to use it as overworld music for the second act, and in the compo versions overworld.

@ TEH_CODERER, yeah, I was completely surprised. My gravity code had worked perfectly all along, it was collision on the y axis... and there's no way I could tell that from my debug code. I hadn't thought of it before, because my collision code had worked fine in dbpro otherwise. I'm converting to sparkys right now, and rebuilding the sky spheres and making them multi-layered. Then I have to deal with getting my text bubbles, pause menus, and half my effects to appear on screen, but it's going much smoother now that my biggest problem is out of the way.

Didn't get much done yesterday, as I was wrapped up in studying... Once I've got everything up and running in dbpro, I'll post some new pics.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 19:27
Yea i did know they were plain but it would be cool if you get the text work in programmily way so the bubble quality isn't going bad ^^

I have no soul.. I nobody.. I have no heart.. I have felt in the darkness.. Im the darkness.. Whatever..
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2007 00:55 Edited at: 20th Jan 2007 00:56
@Full Metal Coder Roxas, actually, the bubble is a separate bmp, because they work better for transparencies, and is fairly high quality (though I can easily make it higher if need be). The text is textures to a separate plain, and is jpeg. I'm actually considering testing to see if uncompressed jpegs work as well, because that would allow for much better textures where I'm using bitmaps, at a much lower file size.

Progress is going well. Wednesday I built 7 levels and today I've built 2, though I spent almost no time today. To give you an idea of how much time I spent on it, if I spend a whole day at making levels (say 12-14 hours), I could easily make 20 or so...

I've also gotten collision working, though I pant to play with it a bit until it feels... right, I guess.

And finally, I've settled on what the story will be for the compo version, so it will actually relate to the real story in a way. The name for the compo version of Verse will be Fabel Nux: Dream Verse, the Fabel Nux part taking up considerably less space than it does in the Verse title.

Edit: I've got some good news! There's an extremely high chance I'll be able to get a massive amount of coding done this weekend!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 23:24
Sorry for bumping without being willing to give a real update, but I just made is amazingly cool effect to help Dream feel more Dreamlike. You can also see the title for the compo game in my sig- what do people think?

I think when I'm ready to update I'll post a few screens as well as a vid, to show what this new effect looks like.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 23:54
Cool! I look forward to it.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 22:03 Edited at: 27th Jan 2007 13:02
Bizar Guy I have a question.
When you reffer to FPS, with wich parameters do you reffer.
With Sinc every loop an Sync rate on 0?

I just don't get it. But it seems important since everybody talks
about it
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 12:07
I've got DBC+DBP, and I've NEVER had any trouble like that before, so I don't know what happened

PS
My moniter never went back to normal, I had to resize it, and reposition it so that it fits the screen again

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 05:44
@Alfa x, if I understand you correctly, by fps (in this game) I mean the frame rate per second while the sync rate is set to 30, which is why no one should get over 30 fps on it. A frame is every time the screen refreshes, which happens once per loop.

@Diggsey, sorry then, I just don't know what it is. It's definitely not a common problem though, and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't happen if you try the dbpro version when there is one to try.

I still don't want to say or show much about what I'm doing right now (I'll admit I'm praying that I'll have time to have a version final enough to enter though), but I think I should at least show a pic from one of the early puzzles if I can't show you the vid yet.

Spambergo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 06:25
Looks very nice... keep it up!

Quote: "(I'll admit I'm praying that I'll have time to have a version final enough to enter though)"

I hear you... so little time left, so much to do

My Nvidia Compo Entry - Villain:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=94427&b=32
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 13:25
@ Bizar Guy
Hi,
no i reffer for example: one post a demo and ask the others
what is the sync rate in their's PC's.
WIch parameters uses that person?.

in code?

Your game is excellent. I really like your style.
But history seems confusing to me. I just don't get the point.
I hope you make a book or something like that.
Or make an explanation of it in your game so the judges can
really appreciate it.

Thank's for the support.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 15:11
Looks as good as ever and I really hope you get a final enough version done in time.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 02:49 Edited at: 5th Feb 2007 06:09
@Alfa x, I'm really sorry, but I just can't tell what you're asking. You should try one of the help boards.

I don't have much time, so I'll be quick. I've decided that because of the quickly approaching deadline, any serious attempts at a story will be withdrawn from Dream. The story now it that it's a dream, and that is all. Likewise, the compo version is now simply called Dream, without the Fabel Nux attached to make this clear. PLEASE UNDERSTAND, Verse has the exact same story that I have been hinting at all this time. It's just the compo game no longer relates to that story. Think of Dream as an abstract art piece as well as a puzzle game I suppose, and you'll get at what I'm thinking.

I'm also lowering the 30 level to 15 so I can make sure the levels I submit are the cream of the crop.

so,
5 starter puzzles
5 regular puzzles
3 rising puzzles
2 maze puzzles
However, not in that order.

Heres a new screen that I've I've put in my portfolio for the moment.

Sorry, but the dbpro version of the game still has a large number of visual errors and the like, so I can't really post a vid right now.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 19:40 Edited at: 1st Feb 2007 19:43
don't worry, I understand.
You have been of real help.
Yeah time is running up...... .
Hope you can finish in time.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 22:24
That effect looks nice, can´t wait to see it in motion!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 22:21
Vid will hopefully be ready in the next few days... Heck, after this I should at least post two.

Until then, I'm learning quite a bit about blending the 3d world into the backdrop texture (in the case, the water).

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 23:09
Nice screen! I eagerly await the vid.

Spambergo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 04:54
Wow... Great looking backgrounds and effects! I may have said it before, but I love the weather effects. This game is looking better with every post!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 23:16
Thank you both!

Alright, expect a vid or two sometime this weekend...

for now, here is part of the menu

You can't tell how awesome it is in a screenshot, but you'll see once the games are available for download. I will say though that this is by far my best menu ever. If I have time I'll add the options menu, but that may be pushing it.

I'm actually kind of intimidated, as really a good deal of the people in this compo are far better programmers than me. What I'm hoping on is my skills in art and visual puzzles (and I'll tell you, these new ones are far better than the puzzles of Block Verse). What I'm hoping more than anything is that the large number of "fake" shaders I made in the dbc version will count towards my shader score, because it's starting to look like I wont figure out of to make the bloom shader work in time. In fact, I'll tell you a not so secret secret. There are no particles in Dream. Zero. All the effects are "faked" you might say.

Oh, and one more thing. Because the smart camera is still, err... unstable, I'm handling the cameras myself, taking advantage of some of its code to make my job easier. I've also designed the levels with cameras in mind, so there are not nearly as many awkward views as their were in Block Verse or even Demo Version 0.19

Spambergo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 04:15
Sounds cool! I don't know if "faked" shaders will count in Nvidia's mind (as they are trying to promoted their products), but honestly, all this shader crap is overrated. Some shaders look GREAT... but some look just awful when over/improperly used. In fact, the parallax shader in my game looks OK at best, but I think your shader-less effects look far superior.

As for bloom, all the demo's I've tried to implement have failed or been glitchy. Mike Inel's first demo was the only darkbasic bloom to work on my computer as of yet. Anyway, good luck!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 22:36 Edited at: 11th Feb 2007 04:08
Ok, Vid!
Download the Vid at the bottom of this post.

You can tell there's still a LOT to do, but I'm feeling pretty confident I'll be able to get most of what I want done in time. The biggest thing you'll notice is that Kel still isn't animated. Making his animations is two or three steps down the road, and though it's important, I have more important parts of the project I'm working at. The engine work is all settled, the puzzles are finished, now mostly what I'm doing is the polish, and it helps that I did most of the polish while I was doing engine work.

The intro is in the engine, not a vid, and is actually extremely basic, though I like the effect a lot. This is my first attempt in moviemaker, and I know it's not amazing.

Edit: While the timers keep everything running at the right speed even in fraps, those weird pauses and such ended up happening when fraps was playing.

Edit2: Here's a screen of the first [drumrole] MAZE LEVEL!!!

Mazes are insanely awesome. Actualy, this maze is about to get a serious update, which is why I don't mind showing it here. But mazes are awesome. Imagine everything I can do with mazes, considering lava and water can now be gameplay elements outside levels... The maze after this one will blow your minds, if you can get to it.

Attachments

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 23:28
nice music! that volcano level looked hot

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2007 13:28
Freain' awesome! I'm sure you will lose points for lack of shaders but it doesn't matter. Even if you don't win the compo you will still have a really good game it just didn't fit the bill for this particular compo.

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great. It looks like a great expansion of Block Dude.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
You seem to making lots of progress man. Nice.

[url=www.waza-online.com/waza/][/url]
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 05:49
Oh ho ho!

How long did you think you could this from me, eh?

Well, must say, I think it looks superb. The graphics are a sweet blend of cartoon and artsiness, and I like these hintings at a deeper plot...we need more of that. Games with plot. And, I think that a puzzle game is just a legit vessel for a story as an FPS or RPG. Well...maybe leaning a bit towards RPG, but puzzle games are by no means doomed to be plotless.

You'd Forget you header if it wasn't compiled on!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 12:54
Thanks everyone! I deninitely remember Rich saying if it looked like a shader it would be counted as one (due to some people not having access to comps that can program real shaders), but it's true I can't see myself scoring high in that area no matter what.

Quote: "and I like these hintings at a deeper plot...we need more of that."

Heh, you're going to see a LOT of games with plot from me, but for the compo I had to completely cut any story what so ever. It's now more focused as an art expiriment, but so everyone understands, Verse and Dream are not the same game. Verse still is still thinck with plot, and will be picked up after the compo (but not before a short break with Old School). Check out this thread if you want to read the first draft of the first act of Verse (there are three acts total, the other two won't be revealed until the game is released)
[href] http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99384&b=19[/href]

I'm getting loads done, I'm making two landscapes a day, and recording the final sounds. I also discovered 137 songs on freeplay music which are almost all exactly what I'm looking for for level music so that's covered. There's far more to it than that, but I'm leaving in two minutes, so no time. Here's a screen of a later level, though the background is not finished for this level yet.

I'll update again in a day or two- Lot's to get done (maybe even bloom)!

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 14:06
Be careful with Freeplay music! The license agreement seems a little ambiguous but as far as I can tell you will need to buy a license from them if you want to use the music in a game.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 15:24 Edited at: 13th Feb 2007 15:26
yep, i had found some great music on freeplaymusic but had to take it out because from the e-mails that have been received from them and the licensing on their site it seems like you need to pay

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 04:35 Edited at: 14th Feb 2007 04:43
It's very ambiguous. This will be a huge setback if I can't use their music, so I'll be e-mailing them in a moment. I checked the fees, and the licensing for games is based on the number of units sold. I'm guessing this means that freeware games are not commercial then, or at least I hope so. If not, then the only music I currently have is the theme song...

Edit: ah, wait. They do list freeware as requiring a licence. Why would someone pay to release something freeware?

can anyone recommend a good freeware site for world music fusion?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 10:25
I'm afraid I don't know any links but if you can link me to the music you liked then I'll see if I can make something similar if you want.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 03:21:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 03:21:03