Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / Fabel Nux: Verse -Bizar Guy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 03:16 Edited at: 15th Feb 2007 03:18
Well, I'd be happy with the kind that is in the vid, only VERY backroundish. Something that lets you think. one with a mysterious feel, one with a more African feel (rhythmic and all that) and one with a more Arabian/Jewish feel is the bare bones of what I would need. To get the effect I want though, I need at least 8 different songs, but I'd rather have three quality goo ones. I'm teaching myself fruity loops, because I am now able to handle every aspect of game making except music pretty well, and I have a pretty good ear. I wont be even half decent with the program for a month of two at least though, having no experience what so ever, except making up tunes in my head about 4 hours every day as I do other things.

...I have what may (MAY) be bad news. I don't think I can do it. I have to confess that I'm having trouble switching to dbpro, and I think I need at least a week more to get it down. Ive been coding the game in dbc, copying the edits into dbpro, and trying to make it all work. I'm starting to understand the differences finally, but I think I need a week to really get it down. The version of the vid was in dbc still, as have been all the screens. The graphics I've got working in dbpro look pretty amazing, but a lot of the textures are screwed up and many things disappear for no reason. I'll e-mail rich (or who ever it is I should be e-mailing now, I'll check the newsletter), and ask if I can enter the dbc version. I think it's quite an accomplishment what I've been able to with dbc, and that I can run it well still. I really hope I get permission to enter the dbc one, because I want to submit something for review even if a dbc version has about nil chances of winning.

So we'll see. But I think it's a given at this point that I can't enter the dbpro version.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 10:26
Noooooooo!
I'll see what I can do about music as I'm sure you'll be carrying this on even if you don't have it for the compo.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 19:46
I have a strange story. It's true though, and about the strangest experience I've ever had in coding.

I've been sick since Thursday. It made it very difficult to code, but I was able to find out what I had and got some medicine for it. So Friday I was under a huge crunch to finish, but luckily I knew the limitation I would be putting on the compo version, and that I should have no trouble finishing it that night. I had received an e-mail from Rick, telling me I could enter the dbc version, though it would not be able to win, which was basically what I was hoping for at that point. So, a couple hours from midnight, I was expanding the save code to include the keys. Aside from that, the only feature left for the compo version was the new game button. Both these features are not really necessary for the compo version itself, but are extremely easy to add, and go a long way for polish I think.
Then, I started getting errors. When the save code tried to save a level, it would return an error telling me the array was out of bounds. I was pretty certain it was in bounds, but 9 times out of 10 it's me that's wrong and not the code, so I checked it out. About halfway through trying to fix the problem, the screen on my laptop died. Basically the backlight went out, which made it impossible to see nearly. So, next I tried transferring the source to another computer. The laptop in question is by far my most powerful comp, but there are others I have which can easily run the game full speed at a lower res. For some reason, I couldn't transfer across my network. Next, I tried the internet, hoping that I could mail it to myself and pick it up on another computer. The internet didn't work either. Because the screen was so dark, this took a rather long time, and it was getting close to twelve. I then tried it on the other computer, and found that on that one the internet and network didn't work either.

So, as you can see, the gods of dark basic have forbidden me from entering this compo.

My internet and network are back up again, but my good computer's screen is still dead. I'm still working on this, but I'm going to let it disappear for a few weeks while I put a lot of effort into making a very polished final copy. I'll then release it in the program announcements, and try and get it in the newsletter in some form.

Really, I've never had so much bad luck in such a short amount of time in programming.

If you want you can still make the music andrew, but if by some miracle I'm able to make something closer to what I want in fruity loops, I'll probably use that...

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 21:25
I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope it all works out.

Quote: "If you want you can still make the music andrew, but if by some miracle I'm able to make something closer to what I want in fruity loops, I'll probably use that...
"

Of course, thats cool!

Spambergo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 03:15
I swear, this competition is the Hope Diamond of Darkbasic compos. This is unreal. Ah well, hope you fix that computer... I'm still waiting on ATI to fix my defective video card.

I look forward to the final version of this game, compo or not!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 15:50
I thought that freeplaymusic was meant to be totally free, which it turned out not to be, which sucks. I´ve searched the internet for a while now for totally free music and today I found a site with quality music. Totally free, the only thing you have to do is to give the composer credits. I´m planning to replace all my music in sh with music from this site.

http://incompetech.com/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 09:18:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 09:18:36