Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] December/January FPSC Level Design Competition: Official Rules.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 03:55
This is just tooooo nerve racking. The end of the comp is coming up. My level isn't finished. I have to do a behind the wheel test for my driver's license. AAAAAAA too much stuff.

Tiggle Bitties

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 00:01
I've just tried to build my level and it's come out all odd. The lighting is all messed up, there are no shadows despite it being of full lightmapping and full shader effects in RC10.

I'm gonna keep testing tomorrow but since the majority of my level rests of the visual impact of the map, i may have to pull out...

AE

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 07:11
Almost done with my level. Problem is..... is the lightmapping part. All I have to do is put the enemy in good spots. But without the enemy I'm averaging 15 fps a second. Which is like 28-30 on your guys computer. I need a computer that actually works. I don't want to put enemy down and be dropped to 10 fps which is like 22-25 on your guys. Then do the lightmapping and be dropped to 5 fps a second. Not sure what that would be in comparison to your computers. AHHHHH what to do, what to do.

Just curious, is the lightmapping a big part of the score?

Tiggle Bitties

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 13:19
Lightmapping would fall into both the graphics category, and possibly the level design category (depending on its use).

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 16:00 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 06:15
Thanks Keith. I'll test it out to see how the frame rates come out.

[EDIT] Awesome.... I finished my level. All I need to do now is make my custom hud. There will be lighting. Unfortunately the city doesn't really look like a city at all anymore. The lighting massively dropped my framerates so in the streets I had to put a bunch of walls up. That is okay though, I think the storyline is good. All around I did MUCH MUCH better than last level I submitted. I hope it runs good on one of ya'lls comps. I'm only getting 10-13 fps but when I downloaded Ben's level for the oct contest, I was only getting 12-15 fps. So I hope it goes good. I would have had a lot more time on this but I got grounded for failing my Geometry class, lol. Oh well, FPSC and the forums are just so addicting that I hardly did any homework.

Tiggle Bitties

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 18:38
It's your pc.... we all know it's a terrible one

Keith, is JOOM around? I've asked him for submission details Friday or so, but haven't heard back.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 20:26
The details should be the same as last time (as far as uploading). I haven't heard from him in a few weeks now.

-Keith

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 22:19
Thanks Keith, uploading now.... you may want to move the entries already there to a more secure location.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 20:46
Get those levels in....times 'a ticking.

@ Judges: Check you Ozark Games' PM Box for your Judge Criteria Sheet.

-Keith

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 20:56
Yippppppppppppppppe!I can't wait!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 21:19
Oh yes.....please don't ask 5 minutes after the competition ends, if we're done judging yet. Give it a few days (or more).

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 21:43
Still having the same problem with the upload, Keith. I don't have any other computer to upload it from either. I'll just have to wait to Old man replies.

Tiggle Bitties

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 22:05
Well, he's finally back on the forums; so he should respond to you shortly.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 22:06
JOOM is back an he replied to my pm at ozark, so just give it some time, he will reply.

My entry is in, as usual I'm very curious to see what others have created this time.

Quote: "Oh yes.....please don't ask 5 minutes after the competition ends, if we're done judging yet. Give it a few days (or more)."

OK, I'll give it a few days.... before hand So let me ask you a few days before the judging begins: were are the results????

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 22:19
I thought I'd tie the results of this competition with that of the Nvidia Competition. How's that sound?

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 23:28
Quote: "Well, he's finally back on the forums; so he should respond to you shortly."

Oh good.

Tiggle Bitties

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 23:43
Quote: "I thought I'd tie the results of this competition with that of the Nvidia Competition. How's that sound?"

Cool, see you in about 3 months

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 01:14
Quote: "I thought I'd tie the results of this competition with that of the Nvidia Competition. How's that sound?"

Bad news for someone who wins both the contests! I doubt someone winning the Nvidia prize would appreciate these prizes then

Bad news for someone losing both the contests! Imagine putting in hard work for both these for the past 2 months and not gaining anything (do I hear someone say "it's not winning that matters.... "

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 04:09
Quote: " Imagine putting in hard work for both these for the past 2 months and not gaining anything "

If you guys want I can give anyone who enters an honorary noob slap.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 04:29
Quote: "If you guys want I can give anyone who enters an honorary noob slap."

If I would have known that was going to be on the prize list; I would have entered myself.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 08:45 Edited at: 31st Jan 2007 08:46
Quote: "If you guys want I can give anyone who enters an honorary noob slap."

You should have told all of us that at the beginning of the competition, then many more people would have entered. Some of us never will be noob slapped or banned in their lives, so this would be a huge honor and a once in a lifetime experience

Quote: "Bad news for someone who wins both the contests! I doubt someone winning the Nvidia prize would appreciate these prizes then "

If.... yes if perhaps I would win both, then I still would appreciate the prizes offered here. I actually do appreciate this contest and it's prizes much more.

TGC/nVidia give prizes away out of their abundance, most of us donating prizes to this competition means loosing some income.

This contest is created to stimulate us in excelling in level design and have fun in creating something with FPSC, TGC/nVidia contest seems to have some huge ulterior motives for being organized.

This contest is for users by users, the TGC/nVidia one isn't. The TGC/nVidia contest revolves around TGC, it's been put up for their benifit, not for ours.

I did not really enjoy entering TGC's competition, escpecially not after reading the rules and understanding what the real purpose is. But the prizes were to good to let pass, so I had to take my best shot at it. Having said that, as you may have noticed from my level design entries, I always give those my best shot also. If TGC would not have offered these prizes, but the same as here and still haveing the same rules, it wouldn't even have crossed my mind to enter their competition.

Quote: "Bad news for someone losing both the contests! Imagine putting in hard work for both these for the past 2 months and not gaining anything (do I hear someone say "it's not winning that matters.... ""

I don't mind winning or loosing the monthly level competition at all, for me that is all about measuring strenght and skills with other users. Looking at the price list, I do have about every price that's on it, so chances are that I do get nothing at all and I don't mind.

I've got fun in entering and the BEST thing about the monthly competition has been: learning new skills, pushing my design a bit further, sparking great new ideas. Just look at SpiderZ, that idea and look was born out of the September level contest. It's save to say that I would have never thought of the idea, if I had not been entering the September level contest!

As for the TGC/nVidia contest I would mind not winning, that means TGC get's a good game to use for their own purposes, without ever having to give me something in return. For them a competition is a great way to get excellent promotion material without having to pay for it, while they could have selected a few game designer to create some promo material for them and give them a little something in return. Now they don't need to do that. BUT I do realize that chances of winning a prize are slim, some seasoned game designers have entered, as well as some proffesional artists. So chances are that they run of with the prizes, never ever giving something to the community in return. That's wahy I don't like contests such as the TGC/nVidia and I do prefer these user for user contests...... Even if you don't win those, it doesn't matter, you've done something for the community, giving them a level they look at and gain ideas from.

It's just to bad that the montly compo is going to stop for who knows how long. I wish I somehow could find the time to organize it and keep it alive. But I know that on the long run, I wouldn't be able to manage it. So, once again Keith and the others helping out... Good job!!!!

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 08:50
My level's uploaded now, looks like only 4 other people have entered. Though, I only just decided to enter what i've got of my level.

AE

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 15:02
Yep; I see 5 entries all together. Not too bad a number for the last one. There's still a bit of time left for anyone who has something they want to put up. Better to put your level up and lose, than to always wonder if it would have stood a chance.

Thanks again to all who've entered this competition now, or in the past.

-Keith

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 00:33
YES!!! I finally got the upload to work.

Tiggle Bitties

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 05:53
I'm excited about this one. I think I did good, even with the computer I'm trying to work with.

Tiggle Bitties

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 14:43
I made two levels, one set in an urban factory thing and the other set in an urban shool and warehouse. I didnt complete either of them, non of them had any story line and the school one had nothing fun to do, besides find a key.

I just couldnt be bothered entering this time, as I felt any thing I made was no good with seeing others games.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 14:49
I understand Higgins. Maybe if someone picks this competition up again someday, you'll enter again.

@ Everybody: This is the last day! If you don't have your level in by 11:59 PM (EST), you're out of luck. Good luck to all who've entered.

-Keith

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 16:12
Quote: "as I felt any thing I made was no good with seeing others games."

So what. I personally don't think it's all about the "W" My levels aren't anywhere near Ben's or Luke's or any of the real "big" people around here. I just do it for the practice and fun of it.

Tiggle Bitties

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 04:33
Everybody has One and one-half hours left. Tick-tock.....

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 05:46
Quote: "Maybe if someone picks this competition up again someday, you'll enter again.
"

Me and Silent Thunder were thinking of doing it. we think we can if anyone wants us to.

"I admire its purity, a survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality"

"Once again you've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!"
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 06:03
Quote: "Me and Silent Thunder were thinking of doing it. we think we can if anyone wants us to."

YES!!!!!! I think that would be awesome. I love doing these competitions, it is great help.

Tiggle Bitties

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 06:14
Quote: "YES!!!!!!"

We'll do it then. the official thread will be up tommorow.

"I admire its purity, a survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality"

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 06:14
Quote: "Me and Silent Thunder were thinking of doing it."

Yep, you'd better believe it.

Quote: "YES!!!!!! I think that would be awesome"

I'm glad that you are up to the idea.

Be sure to check the forum for special offers, and free stuff!
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 06:21
I'm happy now. I love doing these levels so I can get get better at FPSC. I just made a thread in the showcase and I have a pic of my layout from one level. If you compare that layout to the last level I entered, I've jumped far.

Thanks for doing this Zaibatsu and Silent Thunder!

Tiggle Bitties

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 13:13
The December/January competition is now closed. Thanks for everyone's entries and support.

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 16:23
Did anybody remove their levels from the FTP? I only see 4 uploaded now.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 16:26
Check with JOOM, he moved mine to a different location already. If you can't get a hold of him, pm me ozarkgames and I'll pm you back with the link

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 16:38
Found it. It was in the same location as Jenkins'. I thought there was 6 for some reason...

@ Judges. I've sent off all the links to your PM box at OG...commence to playing!

Good luck to all!

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 20:12
Attention!

Will the authors of the levels: "Game.exe" and "Jail Break", please put your levels in a single executable. Most of your files are in a separate folder called "Files"....outside of the actual executable file for the level.

I'm giving you a bit of time to fix this, and re-upload your levels.

-Keith

C_Coffie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 00:46
i dont know how to and mine is jail break

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 09:22
Download install creator from click team and use that the made a single .EXE

AE

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 02:04
Still waiting for the authors of: "Game.exe" and "Jail Break", to upload there single executable files. We won't be waiting forever though.....don't let your work go to waste.

-Keith

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 00:27
Keith- Have the judges started, or are they starting when those 2 games are uploaded correctly??

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 00:37
I am in the process of playing the games now.
I have no time frame for when I will be done but I am hoping it is in a day or two.

Key word is hoping.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 00:56
Okay cool. I didn't want to have to wait an extra 4 or 5 days so they could fix it.

Quote: "I have no time frame for when I will be done but I am hoping it is in a day or two."

That is a short time frame. With my computer, oh man it would take me a month just to load all the levels, lol.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 03:10
They pretty much have until the time I get the results from the other 3 entries.

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 05:02
I don't want people to think that Silent Thunder and I have forgotten the new contest. we decided to wait until this one was over before making new threads.

We DO need some judges and some prize donors.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 06:16
Quote: "We DO need some judges "

HmMmMmMm I may do it. It depends on how I do in this competition. That's just a maybe though.

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 02:52
we have 2 judges so far, Reality Forgotten, and Bloodeath666.

and Keith has kindly offered his WW2 pack as one of the prizes.

Be sure to check the forum for special offers, and free stuff!
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 03:57
In case you guys ever fall short of judges, I am willing to do the job (just that I won't be able to enter the competition then )

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 07:24:33
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 07:24:33