Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / BIGHATBOY - by Alemar - FPSC Entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 13:52
Wow, this really reminds me of Grim Fandango. For those of you who don't know what Grim Fandango is you need to LOOK IT UP NOW! It was developed by Tim Schafer (The guy who started Double Fine Productions and made Psychonauts). Anyway, yeah, that was a complement by the way .

Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 19:38 Edited at: 28th Dec 2006 00:27
Hi
Zilla
Welcome to my website!
Glad you liked.There are many properties there , some of them at preproduction stage for animated series and book series.Did you saw ZOOLOR? or Flying Tales? take a look.
I have a good friend at Swiss... he lived some times in Brazil and married with a brazilian girl and come back to Swiss.He love my country.Thank you to apreciate my art.
Redmotion
You get it! Yes they have a reason to be low poly ... This all about paper.This envolve all concept...and I think this is very fun..
How I said before,I don´t believe can create a unique style to playing.I´ll don´t have time to this and don´t have knowledge at coding too.But I have some ideas... let´s see.I´m at the competition much more to show my concepts and characters,This is the way I choose to show my work.I can build a team to develop the game,at any moment... but I just need myself to create the story and concepts.FPSC is great for this,prototype and concepts...is my opinion,no matter that is a 1 person, any training eyes can see that you should realize this game in 3rd person... at my pont of view FPSC is a good program for artists develop yours ideas...not just you do your own FPS... and is obvious that this story could be a good game...I believe...ehehehe
Anyway , my partner that is a good coder wiill help me at this last weeks till the compo end...I hope finish...
The Pain of War , is another crazy creation... The more important about that is I can reproduce the surrrealist creative process , the critic paranoic method of Dali, Breton , Ernst,in the computer...ZBrush is rocks!!!

Antidote
I didn´t know Grim Fandango... Is really great.and I really love if I could to show BIGHATBOY to Mr. Schafer...

Soon I`ll show more 2 characters and begin to show screens inside the FPSC.
I need to know if is ok to use the lasts Lee´s upgrades at FPSC...
regards
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 11:18 Edited at: 29th Dec 2006 11:19
Looks great!

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 12:23
@Alemar - If I were a judge I'd be sold on your art as it is Are you looking for a beta tester? I have some experience with that if you're interested.

Looking forward to see more screenies.

Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi
More characters screenies...at this moment I have all the characters rigged and animated.We already begin import to FPSC.And no problems till now.About the level, all the segments already finished,made in MagicFPS and Segment Editor,and 90% itens and static entyties finished.The level is on the way to be finish.I just show the levels screenies inside FPSC now...
The characters:
The Shearsfly, bugs enemies,around the level...see the animation...
The Duke Toilet, a devil enemie...he stinks... see the animation...
The Blade... see the animation.
regards
Alemar

The ShearsFly - SEE THE ANIMATION HERE - QT1Mb

The Duke Toilet - SEE THE ANIMATION HERE - QT 2,5Mb

The Blade - SEE THE ANIMATION HERE - QT 2Mb

www.marcoalemar.com
The ARRAYinator
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG!! Thats um amazing! Where did you learn to model and animate like that?

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 19:38
Wow. That's really amazing stuff.

That toloit paper man is really well done.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 23:52 Edited at: 31st Dec 2006 00:12
Amazing characters, everything looks very professional!

Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Thanks!
Jeku
AHAHA.thank you Jeku.At this moment, no need beta test yet and I don´t believe I´ll have time to test a lot before the dead line... after this you `ll be the first OK?
The ARRAYinator
Alone...try and error...study tradicional art techiniques , this is the better way...
Bizar Guy
Thank you again my friend
zzz
glad you liked

Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 07:23
I like your art. Stylish and unique. Keep it up!

Programmers does a big participation in a game, yet they have the least credit.
Portfolio: http://mike-inel.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Mike
Thank you again bro
I´m working hard.
regards
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 22:55
Very good,i knew FPSC would be able to produce great games!

it just takes time,trial and error,loads of more time,loads of coffee and well,go on!

...No Signature here...
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 18:00
I'm loving the new art there matey, I like how this is heading, the style and the composition of your works is certainly something to envy.

"Listen to Jah Music..." - Bob Marley
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 12:10
This looks pretty cool! Good luck with finilazing it.

Quote: "Here is the screenshot about my level.
I´m developing it in SketchUp, and is very simple.
Sketchup is a good tool for my concept. "

Even though the your pictures states that the level is 15x15, I've been counting way more then 15x15, I'm counting over 20x20 of player reachable segments. Make sure you keep within the limits to avoid being disqualified!

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 15:18 Edited at: 5th Jan 2007 15:20
Quote: "I've been counting way more then 15x15"

I haven't

@Benjamin A
I don't wanna hijack this thread, but I saw a big article about the company that sells your game in WIRED! Congratulations!
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 23:43
I may have miscounted, but I counted roughly 20 segments.

Quote: "@Benjamin A
I don't wanna hijack this thread, but I saw a big article about the company that sells your game in WIRED! Congratulations!"

Thanks! Is it possible to sent me the article, you can contact me by email, should be in my profile, so we don't highjack any longer

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 03:14 Edited at: 8th Jan 2007 03:16
Guys
Sorry my delay...
Prince
a lot of coffe my friend...
Seppuku Arts
Thank you man...thank you a lot
Benjamin
Glad you spend your time counting squares in my thread, but you are wrong.Cont again please.ahahaha
Zilla
Thank you

The work is near the end,I have 90% of the level finished at FPSC, but without lights yet.
All the carachters are fully working at FPSC at this moment and my fiend is working at the scripts.
I´m working with the player now.
I ´ll begin to iluminate the level, so expect some screens tomorrow.
Ah... and I´ll finish this of course.
regards
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 15:29 Edited at: 8th Jan 2007 15:33
Hi
The first screens inside FPSC.
The paper´s corridor
enjoy
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 19:08
That is in game? Wow! Very nice!

Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 21:09
Oh, my God! I never thought that it would look so cool in-game!
I can't wait to see the next screenies!!!
Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
TEH_CODERER
Yes in game screens
Zilla
Here more screens... not happy yet with the lights... but is WIP

The Paper Room
enjoy
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
More screens
The Toilet paper room
WIP
Enjoy
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
The ARRAYinator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 01:47 Edited at: 9th Jan 2007 01:56
Wow! if only I had even a fraction of your art skills. Amazing stuff man! seriously you have been really the only fps creator project to catch my eye. Good luck!

Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
The ARRAYinator
Thank you very much!
more soon
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 15:02
yeah, you have very unique abstract art, but it's not so abstract that it confuses you... very nice!

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 22:31
Alema, Please post your best in game images to the TGC Gallery.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=gallery_upload

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Peter
Thank you man!
Rick
I wiil,of course
regards
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2007 21:46

My jaw drops. That looks good enough to be an adventure game, by which I mean the visuals are really amazing.

Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Bizar Guy
Thank you man.
More screens.
The CardBoard Box Room.and more lights improvement in the others rooms.
Today I`ll post screens whith the players.The work is near the end.

regards
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 16:57
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 06:19
You know when i saw your first posts, I thought this wasn't gonna take hold. You've proved me 10 thousand times wrong. Excellent work Alemar!

Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 22:19
These are the most beautiful FPSC-segments that I have seen so far.

But I also have a technical question. When you model these "sheets" of paper in your 3D program, are they planes or do they have a thickness? I hope the following picture explains what I mean.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 22:54
Zilla, this could be a double sided polygon, generally in a game you have 'back-face culling' where so you're computer has to render less it only renders one side of the polygon, here he's obviously made FPSC render both sides of the polygon.

Alemar, I must say, this is looking amazing, its a good mixing or texturing, modelling, style and baking/lighting good stuff my man...Oh and stop uploading freaking screenshots and start with the demos already (just messing)

Click Me! Dolphins aren't Mammals, they're lizards.
Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 00:19 Edited at: 14th Jan 2007 00:24
Hi
At this link you can see a walk in my level.
The Player is on.
He is The Hat of the BigHAtBoy with his friend Stup.
The gun go off the hat when his want to fire.
The Stup can transform yourself in a paper plane and have a granade with him.but this is not in this video yet.soon I upload a new video with this and the enemies..
At this moment I have a low frame rate.
We are working in this.
There is the last room , unfinished yet, in this video.Here are some screenshots too.
regards
Alemar

BIGHATBOY - FPSC test

www.marcoalemar.com
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 00:31
The video looks good!

Quote: "At this moment I have a low frame rate.We are working in this."

I noticed that, it's very low and that even without anything going on at all. Good luck with working on it, you're going to need it, lot's of it. Especially since you only have 2 more days to go.

I'm curious what can of system you used when testing the level shown in the video.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 04:36 Edited at: 14th Jan 2007 04:39
Yeah, I hope you're able to finish this up, 'cause that's the best level work for either compo right now, hands down.

Pushing good gameplay in a couple of days though is a stretch... hope you can make it.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 12:52
Only three words -> OH MY GOD!

I have no soul.. I nobody.. I have no heart.. I have felt in the darkness.. Im the darkness.. Whatever..
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 16:53
The lights and the scenery of this game are beautiful! It´s just that Bighatboy´s big hat is too big, it blocks the gorgeus view...

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 18:14
I love how unique this game is. FPSC constrains you to only using a FPS Gun, but you have still found a way to make it unique and creative! Way to Go! That Video was gorgeous by the way!

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 18:24
I agree with zzz; it is a shame that the amazing level is blocked so much but it still looks great!

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 18:27
10 FPS max

With recorder on,wich slows it down about 5 means 15FPS!!!(in the screenshots its 32,Howcome?)

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 19:24
Quote: "10 FPS max

With recorder on,wich slows it down about 5 means 15FPS!!!(in the screenshots its 32,Howcome?)"

Unless it's recorded with an external camcorder, then the real framerate is the 10fps max we see. I'm afraid this game will crawl one enemies and whatever else needs to still be added. Also keep in mind there is no physic useage yet, it's one of the things your game gets judged on. So, that needs to be added also, another framerate killer.

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 09:49 Edited at: 15th Jan 2007 09:51
Hi Alemar,

I've been keeping track of your thread since it first appeared and have very much enjoyed the steady progress you have been making.

Please consider that the judges will know the limits and possibilities of FPSC, and no doubt by looking at your sceenshots will realize that your pushing FPSC to its limits. Also consider that the judges will have incredibly powerful machines which should keep your game running smoothly.

Please submit the game no matter what stage you are at, this game has interested and inspired many forum members, both DBPro and FPSC users a-like. Don't let worrying about the frame rate hinder your talents and creativeness
Terrorist Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 13:02
Alemar, you are a legend, and I believe we'll all be seing Big Hat Boy in the future, if not soon then at some point further in time. The style is brilliant, the theme is brilliant, the story is brilliant, the concept is brilliant, the art is brilliant, and the game altogether, is brilliant!

Good luck man, and I hope you win the competition, this game will do really really well among the other games, regardless of whether you think it wont or not. There's been people backing you since you first posted, and everybody loves it!

Cya when you become rich and famous! Haha!

www.tornupgaming.com
The home of free games and game projects.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 15:49
Quote: "Please consider that the judges will know the limits and possibilities of FPSC, and no doubt by looking at your sceenshots will realize that your pushing FPSC to its limits. Also consider that the judges will have incredibly powerful machines which should keep your game running smoothly."

That's why I did asked Alemar's specs. We're all pushing FPSC to the limits, a good number of entries are, but as for mine, even though it's really pushing FPSC to it's edge, I still maintain a good framerate. I'm pretty sure that having a good framerate will be considered part of the gameplay.

Quote: "Please consider that the judges will know the limits and possibilities of FPSC."

That may well work in your disadvantages if you've pushed FPSC over the edge, since they know FPSC well, they also know that good framerates can be maintained and yet crate something as good looking as this game. I don't see anything in the screenshots and video that should cause such low framerates, so I hope Alemar can fix the framerate problem.

Ethan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 21:50
Is it 15x15x5? It doesn't look it.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 22:57
im gonna go with Ben here. I too could have modelled my entire level in Maya, and added rediculously high poly scenery to it, but I tried to push FPSC without breaking it. I think they really should consider whether the level would run on the average PC.

Quote: "I don't see anything in the screenshots and video that should cause such low framerates, so I hope Alemar can fix the framerate problem."

Uh, how about the wacking great stacks of paper, or the massive rooms?!

I have to say, I think this game looks fantastic, it's like a commercial product, but seriously dude, I think you'd be better of putting all these assets into DBpro, FPSC just wasn't made for this kind of action, appart from for those with Super ninja PCs.

Seriously tho, really nice job, I hope you get all the gameplay elements in place by tomorrow

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 03:42
I didn't know fpsc could be made to look so good :S good job alemar, you'll win this compo yet!

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 12:57 Edited at: 16th Jan 2007 13:00
Yeah, this is an amazing work Alemar, you're a real talented artist!!

As you said, FPSC is a fantastic tool to "easily" make FPS games, but I'm agree with people here, you'll have trouble with your game speed, once dynamic entities, physics and shaders (?) will be added. Good luck though...
Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

Sorry my delay.
I was in a hurry to finish my project till the dead line and after send the file at last hours of 16 I was
really tired...
I sended the file on time, so now is time to rest a few.and continuos the many works that I stoped to
participate the compo.
There are many coments here and I will try to answer all.

zzz
ahahaha... is this mean like or not????

Crazy Ninja
Thank you.Glad that you had a surprise!

Zilla
Thankyou for apreciate the segments.I used the segment editor from FPSC that i think is superior
than others because you can incorporate others meshs. The others segments editors aren´t free and you just can work with simple box.
And the question: No thickness.In 3DMax select element and clone to element and flip.You can economize some polys this way...I didn´t use backface culling inside FPSC because I didn´t find how
to use this in the engine.

Seppuku Arts
Thank you.Did you see the video? I will try to post another one with the game complete.

Benjamin A
Ok

Bizar Guy
'cause that's the best level work for either compo right now, hands down
Thank you to apreciate my work!

The Full Metal Coder Roxas
AHAHAHA.

zzz
The BIGHATBOY is a important thing in the concept...I believe I find a good solution to place the player...

Zedane
Thank you to perceive the good solution on player

TEH_CODERER
The BIGHATBOY is a important thing in the concept...I believe I find a good solution to place the player...

Prince Of Darkness
Really is not about the recorder...

Benjamin A
Yep

Wehtam_
Thank you very much!
Glad to know that you keeping track of my thread since the begin and this inspired you and others.
I submited my game considering exactly what you say.
and Wehtam, I ´ll register in your comunity... looks intersting...

Terrorist Zero
Man... Thank you for yours words... For an artist this is a great prize!!!Thank you very much!

Benjamin A
My friend,how you sad:
" since they know FPSC well, they also know that good framerates can be maintained and yet crate something as good looking as this game."
This wiil be considered too.I did this in 40 days.With not FPSC knowledge. Not a 1 year.
What you talk about is a technical problem.Of course.There is many solutions to this.What don´t have solution is the creation.Or it´s good or not. Simple.

Ethan
yes.15x15x5

Butter fingers
Thank you bro.
" I think they really should consider whether the level would run on the average PC."
are you sure???I´m not.
This is not highpoly modeling... and the lowpoly forms are parts of the BIGHATBOY concept.
This is not the problem of course.
The problem is with the dynamic lights and AI, and you know this.
The diference is that I decide not sacrifice the most important thing in my work bacause this.Not for the compo.Simple.It´s a choice.

Wiggett
Thank you bro. I hope so.ahahaha

French gui
Thank you. No problems.

I ´d like to thank all the competitors and just wait to the judge decision.
My real interest is a publish deal.
I already have a contract to publish 2 books about BIGHATBOY here in Brazil in this year.
I´m looking for a publisher books in Europe and USA now.
I have my own animation company with many people working in a animated serie that I create, Pixcodelics ( www.pixcodelics.com ), thats is showing at this moment in Cartoon Network Latin America, Animania USA and Disney Japan.
I want make BIGHATBOY worldwide with games , animated serie and books.
My intention here is show all my concept, and not just a game.
Because this, my work is good documented with a lot of screens.
And the TGC is the place where I begin this road.
This game can be made in many ways, include FPSC .
FPSC is a great program and I´m sure the TGC will be this program better and better.
TGC you have a great product in your hands.
I did all the textures, segments, characters, models, animations in 40 days from the scratch.Not full time.and alone.
Thanks to Adriano Carvalho that made the scripts for me.
Here are the last screenings.
More in the TGC gallery.
regards
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 01:11:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 01:11:13