Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / BIGHATBOY - by Alemar - FPSC Entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2007 16:51
Screenshots look good! Good luck to you too

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2007 17:25
Really cool screenshots, good luck in the compo Alemar!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2007 17:38
No Comment...

I'll just look at them and say, why didn't I acquire a skill for style as opposed to learn realism in my 3D work, I suppose your style is inspirational for that one, cheers.

And yes I have seen your video, good stuff, I know bits are too high poly, but it's coming into the newer generation where we can go from medium poly characters and low poly environment to an entirely medium poly game.

Click Me! Dolphins aren't Mammals, they're lizards.
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2007 20:27 Edited at: 18th Jan 2007 20:32
EDIT: yep I pressed latest post - arrived at page 2. and posted this only to discover - actually there was a page 3 and the FPSC compo has ended! Doh!
Good luck with the entry.
Red.

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2007 22:30
Wow! I was impressed when I saw your work that you actually managed to blend both 2d art and 3d without looking "out of place", that's pretty hard to do. I like your style, very inspirational... I dunno how, but it sometimes reminds me of some worlds in Psychonaughts...

Great work! Really great work! (Sigh, it's really a good thing you're in FPSC...)

Programmers does a big participation in a game, yet they have the least credit.
Portfolio: http://mike-inel.cgsociety.org/gallery/
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2007 22:32
Cool!!! Maybe you can customize your Lives and Health a bit, it sounds too FPSC defaults... Good luck for the compo, your game is my favorite!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2007 23:46
Quote: "(Sigh, it's really a good thing you're in FPSC...)"

Shhh!!! he still has a month left to port it, or get someone else to port it, to DBPro!

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 09:49
Quote: "Here are the last screenings. More in the TGC gallery."

You know, there's one thing that suprises me when looking at the pics posted in the galleries. All of your images only get rated 4 stars (no I have not even voted on them at all, yet) while a lot of the the other (fpsc) images posted do get rated 5 stars. To me that's a big suprise and it's a shame that people can't comment on why they vote the way they do.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 10:13
It's all looking great - really, this is the first FPSC game I've looked forward to playing. For me though it's not the graphics, it's the game mechanics that interest me, that little dude turning into a bullet and flying toward the enemy, that's just fascinating.

''Stick that in your text and scroll it!.''
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 10:45
Quote: "You know, there's one thing that suprises me when looking at the pics posted in the galleries. All of your images only get rated 4 stars (no I have not even voted on them at all, yet) while a lot of the the other (fpsc) images posted do get rated 5 stars. To me that's a big suprise and it's a shame that people can't comment on why they vote the way they do."
It's very odd but then again every thing looks great but there were one or two things I disliked....But he got a fair rating from me at least.
Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2007 16:27 Edited at: 20th Jan 2007 16:30
Quote: "the real framerate is the 10fps max we see. I'm afraid this game will crawl one enemies and whatever else needs to still be added"

Quote: "What you talk about is a technical problem."

Alemar is right. Many of these discussed problems will be obsolete if Alemar uses FPS Creator X10. You will be able to clone characters and for example these masks that are hanging from Alemars segment walls without additional memory usage or framerate drops. Watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BqbBPJmKws

I know that this requires a machine that runs Vista and DX10 code, but that's not the point.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2007 19:17
Low framerate isn't just a technical problem, it's often due to bad level design as well. Not saying that's the case here, but having 10fps when only showing an empty level often points to mistakes in the way the level was designed.

As for X10 we don't know if that's going to solve any problems at all, we can only guess.

MExe
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know if the game will be so slow as it looks now, it's not clear how the game dynamics will look like, but if the shader is what it seems, a real time full scene shadowing, I think you are going to have the first prize just for that...
MExe
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh and I forgot before: very original and stylish graphics, we really need some originality in videogames today

Now the only thing missing is a good gameplay. Hope you will be able to accomplish it in these last 20 days...
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 12:16
MExe, this is an FPSC entry not a DBPro entry, the FPSC competition is over, so there can't be anything changed about the game.

Quote: "but if the shader is what it seems, a real time full scene shadowing, I think you are going to have the first prize just for that... "

If it was DBPro perhaps, but since FPSC was used for this entry, it's nothing extra-ordinary.

MExe
Years of Service
User Offline
Uh sorry I didn't read well the title, just thought this was for the DBP section and deadline for it is 26 of Feb.
Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Benjamin A
good luck for you too.
zzz
thanks bro
Seppuku Arts
"I'll just look at them and say, why didn't I acquire a skill for style as opposed to learn realism in my 3D work"
You must to have style, doing realism or not... think about it...
" I suppose your style is inspirational for that one,"
Thank you very much!
Red
Thank you man!Glad see you here in the end...
Mike
"Great work! Really great work! (Sigh, it's really a good thing you're in FPSC...)"
Thank you!Your game is fantastic Mike.You are the one!
French gui
I know... many things to finish yet, I had few time to finish this... I take care with what looks more important for me...
Peter H
ahahahahaa!
Benjamin A
Ah.
Van B
Thank you Van. I hope you can play my game soon...
wizard of id
Thank you
Zilla
Of course. Any way i sent a game with a good frame rate on time...
the fps drops is caused by AI and Dynamic Lights.The polycount isn´t much diferent at another FPSC game...Just looks original, and people be scared...
Benjamin A
Your concept about level design is just naiv...You are wrong.And I didn´t send my level with 10 fps...
and Ben , don´t be scared, your work is very good, and you have a good chance to win, of course...
MExe
Thank you!
Benjamin A
hahahaha... you are a funny man ahahaha

sorry my delay guys
regards
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is more stuff of BIGHATBOY development.
This is the Lord of the Hat´s house for the 3rd episode...
enjoy
Alemar

dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 05:41
I just came across this thread. I haven't been following the compo until now. Wow! Alemar this is great stuff. This is a really cool style and I think you will be successful with it. I can't believe you even made your own gun that pops up, it's great. Best luck to you in the competition.

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com
Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 10:53
cool!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 15:36
man! you have some talent there!

i would really recommend porting to DBPro, as FPSC doesn't seem to be made for the kind of models you are putting into it.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 23:56
Great job! I love the semitransparent paper walls (I think that's what they are).

Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
well...well...
thank you all.
congrats to winers!
regards
Alemar
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 21:50
if it means anything, i think you deserved to win heh

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 00:26
He really did deserve to win something. No offense to the other entries but, imho,...'you was robbed!'

Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
hey guys..
I won $30 bucks... I hope...
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 08:27
How come you didn't win???
IMO, you're the most creative FPSC entry i've seen here!
Like what Teh-coderer said, you've been robbed!!!
Oh well, what can we do anyway? Even if you didn't win, you still got a great game!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 11:37
Yeh, I'm looking forward to my $30 too! Hope I get it...

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2007 15:46
On the one hand, I'm very surpised you didn't win, but on the other hand I'm not so suprised, since TGC doesn't seem to appreciate inovative projects at all. Some of the winners have suprised me a lot though.... their entries don't even come close to this, they've all used out of the box items. At any rate you did get $30 for all of your hard work.

Are you still planning on making a full game of this, now that you've not been rewarded with the publishing contract you hoped to get?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2007 15:51
Shouldn't we all wait until all the entries are uploaded? because it seems to me everyone here is saying this should have won based on just the graphics which are very nice, however gameplay is also very vital, you can't be running around a very nice level with nothing to do, but we shall soon see.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 16:16
If you can could you post a link to your final game in this unofficial competition game thread?
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=111406&b=32

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 16:22:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 16:22:29