Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Windows Menus Plugin

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 18:27
Ah, I feel better already. New version is out folks (check the first post).

I added a GET MENU ITEM STRING command as well as the ones mentioned above, which returns the caption of the last item clicked (making your code a lot clearer). New keywords + demo source included.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_103.zip
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 10:47

i've found something odd ... and this has actually been driving me nutz since day one - i can't use my own as it isn't released yet (and not in a state that i'd want to)
but why the heck doesn't that work?

more importantly, your version works in your project ... but you copy it from your project and paste it into another and it doesn't
there is some serious problem with this plugin for me.

i have dbp 1.04.1 & tpc_menu 1.03 so this should work find right?
but no blasted menu appears, i really hope i don't have to rush mine just to be able to show a stupid small demo.

I pride myself that i don't kill...
well not without a good reason
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 18:15 Edited at: 20th Jun 2003 18:16
Where have you defined the value of ID_ABOUT?

I have my menus plugin running in several projects without problems, so there shouldn't be any problem getting it to work.

Have you set your program's window title to "Demo"? - Stupid question I know, but worth checking. I think in a future version I'll add something to automatically get the Window handle.

I just ran the snippet you posted and it works fine, as long as the Window caption is set to "Demo" - it works in all graphics modes.

I presume you weren't talking about the line which is commented out?

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_103.zip
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 18:25
i had it working for a while then it just stopped...so why might this be?

In our hearts and minds we keep the powers of love, hope and the hidden powers of evil in which we can mold a hero or daemon of ourselves-Book of Enoch Chapter III
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 22:00
What exactly do you mean "it just stopped?". Do you mean after a certain amount of time when the app was running? Or you closed it once then re-opened your project and it did not work?

It is possible that the app. caption was not saved properly, so the menu was not initialised correctly.

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 22:15
the project thing same project no longer works

In our hearts and minds we keep the powers of love, hope and the hidden powers of evil in which we can mold a hero or daemon of ourselves-Book of Enoch Chapter III
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 23:23
Something must have changed somewhere. Have you made sure that the Windows Caption is set correctly? That is the thing I always forget.

Set Window Title "Project"
Create Menu "Project"

If you want to be safe.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 02:14
ahh ... oki well now it works

just for you though Rob
LPSTR WindowTitle = g_pGlob->pWindowsTextEntry;

I pride myself that i don't kill...
well not without a good reason
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 02:19
Raven, he can't do that yet, unless either he or I convert the rest of the GlobStruct to Delphi - not hard, just monotonous.

Rob, with that example DLL I gave you, you could now make it possible for the DLL to delete the menu itself when DBPro unloads it. Just put your code into the 'Destroy' procedure.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 11:37
Yes - I thought of that.

Currently DELETE MENU is left in because in my game, the menu is there when you are in the level editor, but removed when you test a level.

I am going to try and extend GlobStruct with the help of IanM's VC++ GlobStruct construct layout.

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 02:40
Your menu plugin is pretty cool.

I did something interesting with it. I had a folder named "Project" open and my souce named "Projectb". I said Create menu "Project" and it put a menu in the open folder. It's only logical, but I just thought it was pretty weird.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Click Here!!!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 13:42
Of course , I did that so that my plugin could be used with other languages besides DBPro if necessary, therefore it gets the handle of any window with that caption.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 15:50
o_O I'm makeing a complete DLL for standard window consoles... you guys notice any runtime issues with DBPro???... I mean if it was checking for a clicked item with your DLL... heh...

EVERYONE LOVES THE PUFF!... =\
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 15:51
(runtime issues as in slowness...)

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 17:23 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 17:24
Right, I'm not quite sure I understood that Puffy.

If I understand correctly, you mean that you are writing a DLL which enables us to produce console apps with DBP? Ie. the ability to write to stdout and so on?

"you guys notice any [slowdown] issues with DBPro"

As far as the GET MENU ITEM() command goes, there should be none at all. All GET MENU ITEM() does is return the value of a variable which is stored internally by the DLL, and which gets updated when messages are posted to the window by Windows informing it that a menu item has been clicked.

"makeing"

That should be making... come on' you're a mod - spelling mistakes are a no-no.

Haven't said this before, but I like the new-look blue .sig.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 20:44 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 20:45
A console plugin? Hmmm, let's see - ah yes, I did mine back in december

Output was OK, but input was a bit of a problem IIRC - you can only have input focus on either the console window or the application window, not both

The idea was to have a 'log' window though, not a full console app.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 00:25
o_O Thats now what I meant... I'll take a screenshot of what I currently have... heh...
o_O Everything works... yup...

Hey look... an item... wooooooooo...

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 00:59
@Puffy

Too late - I've already got a very complete GUI plugin in the works - which now even has an internet browser component and a shell folder view. Check the "Blue GUI" thread in the Beta Announcements forum for an older pic.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 01:39
=P Thats what you think...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 01:44
depends really Rob... its always best to have a few options on things - then you don't have to always use only one.

don't forget you've also got my Winuis on the way which is also pretty complete gonna be some healthy competition in the windows application plugins hehee

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 01:58
Mine is going to have far more than the buttons n sutff raven... O_O I'm going for complete Glut support... finally an option for DB users to say "Use DirectX or OpenGL"...

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 01:58 Edited at: 5th Jul 2003 02:03
I look forward to seeing it Raven (when?)

Of course there is no harm in developing your own, it is an interesting learning experience.

I am considering restructuring the menus plugin to match my GUI's gadget system, which, once you grasp the basic child / parent system, is much more intuitive to use.

@Puffy

I suggest that you release them as two separate plugins then. I imagine that a two-in-one could get fairly bloated. I'm staying away from OpenGL, as I think it really needs to be at the heart of DBP for it to work and I just don't have the low-level knowledge required.

Of course, a well designed engine would allow fairly easy swapping between the two. However I believe that DX is so deeply ingrained into DBP and many of its helper functions (eg ones for 3D maths) are used outside of the renderer so it would be difficult for Lee and co to switch it.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 02:05
o_O Oh I'm just making it so you need to have a hidden dbpro window to get it started... I already have 3D object in it... O_O
oh yes... I've been working on it for 5 minutes... heh... oh and heres the code that made those screenshots...

=\ I haven't loaded it into a plugin yet... its just a small DLL file... =P...

D I G I T A L
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 02:01
isnt there a plug-in for DB v1.13?
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 07:50
I don't think there is... Never saw it...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 09:27
Rob i released my plugin one, it just has menus and simple dialogs ... but i took it down cause there were apparently alot of bugs in what i'd done.
plus not understanding the WM setup properly, i'd stupidly encapsulated each and every function rather than running them vicariously through a single WinAPI to grab the callback.

i'm slightly wiser now and decided not to rush it, so probably looking at a 2-3month timeframe. plus all my other projects which really more or less end within the next 2months.
(thank god, then a clean sheet)

as for the GLUT encapsulation of Puffies... well trust me extending DarkBASIC Pro to use a seperate engine is far from simple - especially as all of its native functions are in DirectX so you'd have to effectively be rewriting DarkBASIC Pro but in another graphical language.

well we'll all have to see what comes from which.
my target is more at the professional users wanting to create applications with similar depth to programs like 3DStudio Max, Photoshop or InstallShield Developer - stuff which just requires alot of complex interaction of the windows and frames as well as DirectX render instances (cameras) in seperate windows.

you've seen my MessageBox plugin, so you can probably understand how featured each function will actually be.
figured out the nuiances with the return value system, as well as the WM System - got a good grasp of all of windows api calls, for each of the windows systems.

i hope that i can produce something people will like ... and Sam reckons my help is pretty good which is more of a bonus than the actual function itself being simple - as good help can make a plugin simpler to use even with complex setups

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 10:58
^_^ lol... It wont be that hard trust me...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:08:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:08:16