Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Game Idea Box

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 12:54 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2009 13:23
I've been doing Brainstorms lately.

Feel free to use any of these ideas.

#1 "Chocolate"

Download as PDF

#2 BioMortis

Download as PDF

#3 "Bloody Shotgun"

Download as PDF

#4 "Mort Noir"

Download as PDF

#5 "Red Scream"

Download as Game Design Document
Download Brainstorm as PDF

#6 "Sub Zero"

#7 "Seventh Circle"

#8 "Meka"

#9 "Rebirth"

#10 "Snake"

#11 "Caffine Rush"

#12 "Dictator"

#13 "From Sniper With Love"

#14 "Minotaur" Mythologic Week Day One

#15 "Dryad" Mythologic Week Day Two

#15 "Apollo" Mythologic Week Day Three

#15 "Jotunn" Mythologic Week Day Four

[href=hhttp://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3jcmz105cnl]Download Brainstorm as PDF[/href]

#1 "Chocolate"
A chocolate game in which the player must kill the evil dark chocolate, reap their chocolate and build structures with it, while defending the innocent civilians of Chocoville.

Sorry if this seems like a really cruddy rip off. It'll gain quality as it goes along.

Brainstorm attached

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 00:42
hmmph, can we expand on these ideas in a day? because:
breeding shelters should defend a little bit. as not to make it too hard or redundant; constantly building breeding shelters
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok. Following ideas will be thought through and expanded a tad harder.
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 21:43 Edited at: 7th Jun 2009 21:23
#2 "BioMortis"
A Co-op game in which players choose to be either an Engineer, building and maintaining structures, a soldier, defending the other class, the "Biohazard".

The task of the Biohazard is to clean up a set area. When this area is successfully cleaned, the players win.

Of course you'd want to add your own spin and think maybe to add robots which clean slowly if no player goes BioHazard, or add other monster types that would require the player to leave their base to attack (prehaps stationary monsters that spurt other monsters).

Brain Shower is attached.

Attachments

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 01:10
I hope you keep this going, this could be a great source of inspiration for any forum users =) I reckon a fair few people will make or start making a game based on these ideas!

z i l c h vortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 13:25
I rekon if anybody uses the ideas they should post links and pictures or anything and it would be great inspiration to other game designers and everyone.

life is short but so am i
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 16:42
I like your ideas, but there all rpg or defend the castle style games. perhaps try something else?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 17:16
You should give enough information as to allow one to infer the genre you're aiming for, as I don't know quite what kind of game your idea suggests.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 23:34 Edited at: 7th Jun 2009 21:23
Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure the genre is stated and that I do a wide range of them.

#3 "Bloody Shotgun"
A FPS with few weapons but wide range of interaction/sense of choice. Instead of a large multitude of weapons and a large multitude of ammo types, the player is faced with only one weapon to collect ammo.

The game world includes various types of enemies and friends, providing sympathy with the world and a need to understand the proper fights (killing all dogs would be a waste of ammo, but one of the dogs could be a monster.

Another example of a fight you'd want to avoid would be with "defensive" survivors, so you'd want to sneak around or leave at the sight of corpses with gunholes until you're well prepared.

The things which could be an issue:
Pacing (we dont want the player to wander around for a while with no combat)
Ammo occurance and capacity
How long will dogs be a meaningful and how to extend this effect?

You definately could solve the issue with only one dog being meaningful to keep while killing the rest by introducing a mechanic involving trust between you and the other native earth creatures.

The idea could be taken to the next step by randomly generating forms of the XenoGenMortis, adding survivor more survivor types or adding a story with missions.

Brainstorm attached

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 00:28
They're getting better, you want to add as much detail as possible - just type whatever comes to you mind for about 15 minutes, organize it, and then post. The chocolate one sounded slightly interesting but very vague, almost to the point where it seemed like a stupid spam post .

Quote: "The task of the Biohazard is to clean up a set area"

That seems ironic

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 03:24
perfect idea. this would be good, but xenogenmortis sounds like a 2d flash game. make it something easier to say among game players
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
@Bugsy. You could just give them no actual name and make the character call them "Scourge", "Humanvores" or any other.

I'm going to post about 5:00 PM (GMT) each day, hopefully.
The Aaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 14:21
could you edit your first post with a list of ideas so that you dont have to scroll through the ideas?
~Aaron

Download Failed...
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 15:59 Edited at: 7th Jun 2009 17:20
Thanks for the idea Aaron. Materials are now on a list at first post.
Also, I'd like a vote on what format the brainstorms are wanted in. PDF? Freemind File? PNG?

#4 Noir Mort

Mort Noir is a First Person Horror Shoot 'em Up. The player must find his children in a purely black, white and shades of grey world, after they were kidnapped suddenly by the ghosts of the dead.

The player has a futuristic pistol, his fighting skills and a flashlight to kill raiders and repel ghosts, trying to stop the player, who threatens to expose the secrets held between Raider and Ghostkind, using the environment against the player, making the environment another enemy. Of course, this being a horror game, the player would want to save his ammo, by using the melee system and sneaking.

The secrets of ghosts and raiders would be your choice to decide. I dont ask for exclusive ownership of my ideas but rather some form of accreditation, be it special thanks, creation or design, as long as you are not dishonest.

Brainstorm attached

Attachments

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 18:17
The ideas are getting better and definitely more detailed =)

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 18:51 Edited at: 7th Jun 2009 19:15
@ Monk, Thanks.

I think I'm brush up a design document and make a logo for tommorrow. Maybe I'll scan my art for it too
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 17:32 Edited at: 8th Jun 2009 17:35
#5 Red Scream

Get the Game Design Document

Red Scream is an FPS, where instead of being a protagonist, the player is the antagonist.

Players are tasked with killing people that are meant to die. Starting in the Black Plague. Grim Reaper must take identities, kill dogs and guardsmen to get to his target.

Edit: Realised I put #6 instead of #5

Attachments

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 17:50 Edited at: 8th Jun 2009 17:51
Oops, wrong thread. My Bad.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 19:24
The ghosting idea is definitely a different idea, but one that could work well.... =) keep the creative juices flowing!

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 04:04
For Red Scream, the first thing that came to my mind was that TV show "Dead Like Me". Of course that was somewhat light hearted, and I don't think light hearted-ness work for a video game like that.

Swordfight! My cheesy little first game!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147808&b=36
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Who said Red Scream was light hearted?
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't find an appropriate subject board for this thing, but this topic is quite handy.

The image function has yet to work, I've been half asleep before finals forcing myself to stay up for 2 hours to at least finish the saving/loading. Anyway here:

It's a game design guide, to facilitate their creation, programmed in PureBasic (which is why this is the only appropriate board, nice topic btw).

It is not as featured or wizard-like as it could be, when I'm awake, I'll make it that way perhaps. Anyway, try it out. Anyone here can make it, my point is, a walk-through helps our creativity and motivation stick together, and I think programs like this could benefit our community.

Hopefully something like it can decrease our unfinished/finshed ratio. And yes I've seen things like this, for 79 dollars (forgot what, but remember price??? too tired to know why right now).

Signed
------

Attachments

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 19:01 Edited at: 9th Jun 2009 19:02
#6 Sub Zero
I'm posting one of my old documents, a game design document around zombies in russian winter. I know it's nothing too unique, but I have an exam tommorrow and I must revise. Tommorrow will be the same case, but back to normal on Friday.

I'll make it up by making it 102 days 102 ideas. Friday I'll also update the top list and adding logos Saturday.

Yes... I know there's a zombie type called Furry (Dont think of that... )

Attachments

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 03:52
Quote: "Who said Red Scream was light hearted?"

No no no. I was saying that "Dead Like Me" was somewhat light hearted, and that such light heartedness wouldn't work for Red Scream.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah. I see. I should have read the message twice

Using that smiley points out an irony in the #6 post.
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
#7 Seventh Circle

As in 7th Circle of Inferno!

The player, as one in contol of gravity, may side with man or monster, taking over areas and turning them into nests or regaining their contol. To end man or to end monstrous beasts.

Attachments

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 23:35
OOH i like gravity controlling games!
level
Years of Service
User Offline
nice work more pdfs please , wher eis 6 and 7 pdf ?
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
@level They're at the bottom. Im updating the top list when my exams are all over. This way it's all simply putting a short description and a full document. This way I dont endanger my examinations.
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 20:14 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 21:38
#8 "Meka"

After accidentally missing my exam (everyone in my house thought it was tommorrow (we all thought we saw friday instead of thursday)which means I have to go in tommorrow with my dad to explain), I have the next idea, back to brainstorms with me.

Meka, an alternate spelling of Mecha, is about Giant Robots on the WWII Pacific Front. The player must choose his target (American or Japanese), transforming from robot to plane and vice versa on will, in order to destroy planes and infantry.

Brainstorm Attached.

Edit: Top list is now updated. Uploading the PDF format for Meka in the morning probally.

Attachments

level
Years of Service
User Offline
Damn that sucks , hope you can do something about the exam. Thanks for the new ideas and gl.
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
My girlfriend missed an exam when she was an undergraduate and ended up with a worse degree than she would have otherwise done, since it had to be recorded as a fail. Fortunately she's done all right since, but I hope that doesn't happen to you.

Seventh Circle sounds interesting but I can't find any reference in the document to controlling gravity. What do you mean by that?
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 19:14 Edited at: 12th Jun 2009 22:18
@Plotinus I'm sure I meant to put that in when I wrote it. I'll fix it up for tommorrow along with #10.

@Level+Plotinus: Exam issue has been solved. The board is giving me my predicted grade.

I'm also dumping making logos with all the ideas. Not only is it time consuming, it also takes up alot of space. 102 logos of 100 px would be the entire screen (times 10), without having done all the links.

#9 "Rebirth"
The player walks in the shoes of an executed murderer, who wakes up 300 years after his death, to find mankind has been destroyed. He begins to search for answers, but only finds monsters and evidence of mankind's gruesome end.

The player is forced to use stealth and to think about his route through the level, how to escape/kill any monsters that chase them. The player has a reasonably restricted, but useful array of weaponry: a Wrench, a Pistol, a Shotgun and a Sniper Rifle. (the player doesnt really need a SMG or assault rifle, it would remove the need to actually think).

Along with the weapons, the player is also able to jam doors, place mines and combine the environment to create hazards. The player's escape from an enemy depends on how he tries, the player is better off in some ways to the monsters (mostly due to his size) and worse off in other ways (mostly due to his strength).

As usual, you may feel the need to add to the idea.

Brainstorm attached.

Attachments

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 22:55
Quote: "The player walks in the shoes of an executed murderer, who wakes up 300 years after his death, to find mankind has been destroyed."

That sounds more like the blurb on the back of a novel than the plot of a video game (I mean this in a good way - a *very* good way!) You could bring in all kinds of interesting concepts like the Social Contract (individual rights vs. society's), morality, individuality, justice...

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
It does sound interesting, but isn't that sort of the premise of Terminator: Salvation?
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
@Plotinus Ah. Just noticed that. But only the baseline and the actual ideas are different. "Terminator: Salvation" has ideas that are on the tin. "Rebirth" has undertones of lost hope and depression.

#10 "Snake"

Modern version of Snake. Players eat and grow, devouring larger creatures and upgrading their creature to have more defense or more venoms.

The game stays the same in the way the creature grows longer as it consumes targets, scoring, but changes in the way that it is 3d and losing conditions change.

Brainstorm Attached

Attachments

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2009 22:54
I like the idea for rebirth, even if it does sound like Terminator =P

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
I forgot to mention that the Game Design Document for Seventh Circle has been fixed, just re-download. I also finally have my own project now.

#11 "Caffine Rush"
Caffine Rush is a first person shooter/brawler, sort of akin to Mirrors Edge, but the player must drink Caffine to become stronger and faster, attacking terrorists that threaten to destroy Europe.

The player punches, kicks, pushes and grabs the enemies, throwing them from ledges and generally killing them. The game also allows a stealthy approach.

Brainstorm Attached.

Attachments

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 01:33
OOh i like this one!
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your support .

#12 "Dictator"
Dictator is an RTS in which the player is dictating a small country.

While shying away from mentioning any countries or political parties, the game involves:
* Controlling:
* Social lives of your citizens
* The political parties
* The economy
* Setting up your police
* Managing taxes and community gatherings

Brainstorm Attached. Maybe tomorrow I'll do some sketch with my new Tablet for tomorrow's idea

Attachments

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 04:15
Micromanagement would be an interesting shift in terms of RTS games. It'd make it more interesting if the game awarded you in different ways for your own leadership style. Like if you're kind, the people like you more but you have less money, or if you're a despot you get more money but the people like you less.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 16:47
Its ok, but it seems that the people LIKE control sometimes, which i think is actually realistic. it would also be fun to be able to zoom way in to street level and observe peoples conversations
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
I think micromanagement is a problem when you have to do it or miss out.

#13 "From Sniper, With Love"
Heh. Only just noticed the similarity of name to "From Russia With Love.

Anyway, From Sniper With Love is an FPS in which the player is a multi-purpose sniper, so may need to assassinate, defend or disrupt.

The player may use a Sniper rifle, A silenced pistol or a knife.

Brainstorm Attached.

Attachments

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 23:19
That sniper one would be good, I like the idea of doing 3 different tasks as a sniper. The missions would have to be well planned to utilise all the skills of a sniper, but that would be very nice. Could do all the physics of wind and dip etc

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 02:30
Some of your sniper ideas should find a home in my next game if it gets off the ground .

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 18:32
Your next game?? Care to elaborate?

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
@Monk My project is a non violent game, where mankind has been destroyed and the player must get home to The Lighthouse, defending themselves from the creatures that are repopulating earth. I'll share some art tomorrow morning .

#14 "Minotaur"
The player, as minotaur in the Grecian myth must kill young men and unwed girls in his labyrinth after the ruler of Athens caused his brother to die when sent to kill his true father, the Cretan bull.

The game could be a first or third person brawler, depending on how you'd feel it suits. Players may punch, kick, dodge and charge, attacking the young men and unwed girls tributed to him.

Brainstorm attached. Of course, this was done this morning, so I was not thinking as straight as in the evening, so as usual you'll want to add some stuff that may be missing, such as blocking and grapple attacks.

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 22:51 Edited at: 17th Jun 2009 22:52
Quote: "Your next game?? Care to elaborate?"

I think you were talking to me? It's a highly tactical, squad-based FPS. The driving idea behind it is to have gameplay not based on fast reflexes and superior firepower, but coordinating a squad of men to steal data, infiltrate areas held by a superior force, all using tactics. I'll post a WIP this summer if all goes according to plan - I'm still working on Fields right now.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 22:58 Edited at: 17th Jun 2009 23:03
haha... got confused . I'll post a picture anyways

Reasonably happy...

Seems rather silly now I'm posting out of context. It's what I get for reading all the posts but not remembering them so well.
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 09:31
Sorry, yeah I was intending the question to go to bmaczero, but its a nice little drawing youve got there =)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:25:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:25:51