Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Mike's Max Models 2010!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 19:39 Edited at: 4th Feb 2010 20:06
All my last threads have been a little... how do i put this... crap?

Well i got max little while ago (1-2 months?) and i love it! ^-^
I've made loads of models in Max so now that i can use it i think it's time to post some models!

So, for my first model a FN FAL 7.62:

It's my first gun ever(that i haven't given up on before i finished the handle) !

What do you all think?

EDIT: Is it just me or does it just show the link to the image?

---
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 19:59 Edited at: 5th Feb 2010 02:02
That's a pretty good model! Next is the part I hate to do... the texture! What's the poly count if you don't mind me asking?

Also, it's the '%20' in the link that is causing the problem. Spaces don't work too well. You should make it like below and take out the '%20' from the actual pictures and folders it is stored in on the actual site if you can.

There's something in this room that makes you can't speak well.
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 20:03 Edited at: 4th Feb 2010 20:28
Thanks! I actually enjoy texturing models(so far anyway)!

I think i will go back to tiny pic. I thought i could save sometime by using photo-bucket but it says it was deleted... Well, I'll re upload them to tiny pic now!

EDIT: Done!

EDIT 2: Just realized, it has 666 verts D:

---
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 23:59
thats a good start for a first gun mate well done

the slr was a weapon i used a lot when i was younger & still have a lot of love for it today .i finished a high poly model of one a few weeks ago & started a lower poly version but have had to put it on hold for now ,but hope to come back to it soon.heres a render of it.it may help you with yours .

cheers henry

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 19:13 Edited at: 5th Feb 2010 19:28
Wow, That's AMAZING!

For some reason i get an error while attempting to open the file

"file open failed"

Have i lost my gun?

EDIT: The AutoBack worked! YAY! Now to get back to work!

---
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 12:51 Edited at: 6th Feb 2010 12:55
I started on a MAC 10!

I attempted to open up the FN FAL today and it said it couldn't open again... If i upload the file could someone try opening it?

I'll attach the file

BTW, The autoback file is for the MAC 10 now I thought the FN FAL saved okay but i was wrong

---

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 13:23
Quote: "I started on a MAC 10!"

Hmm, trying to better me are you?

Jokes, hope that your mac10 is going great and keep us posted.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 13:32 Edited at: 6th Feb 2010 13:40
Quote: "Hmm, trying to better me are you? "

XD i don't think i could beat yours! Yours is pure awesomeness!

Well, Here's a pic:

EDIT: Just realized, I forgot the trigger XD

---
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 13:49
Hey, those proportions are way off, but it makes it look awesome! Stick with those proportions man they are sweet, maybe if you emphasise that barrel you could have a very nice stylised gun there.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey, those proportions are way off, but it makes it look awesome! Stick with those proportions man they are sweet, maybe if you emphasise that barrel you could have a very nice stylised gun there."

I don't really know what happened with the proportions but do they really make it look good? And i was just editing the barrel XP

---
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline

How does that look?

---
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 11:26 Edited at: 7th Feb 2010 12:30
UV's are almost done!

---
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 11:39
I dont know what, but something looks wrong with your UV's. Hmm.

Gingerkid Jack - Aspiring Game Designer\3d Modeler
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I dont know what, but something looks wrong with your UV's. Hmm."

Yea, It's because of how simple they are
I used lith unwrap because i got bored having to start over. I'll edit the uv's in max now!

---
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 12:38
wow, you need to work on that uv map, nearly all of it is blank space

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "wow, you need to work on that uv map, nearly all of it is blank space "

Yea, I'm working on it now

---
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 14:21
mike if your using max dont use 3rd party uv mappers ,maxs is one of the best.

it looks like your modeling is comming on well,now you need to stop modeling & learn uv mapping its a real ballache but if you want your models to look good then theres no shortcut.i hate uv mapping ,you spend ages building a model then have to spen nearly as long setting up your uvs.

ok heres a few tips

1/start a new scene in max make a box

2/ highlight your box then right click & make it edit poly

3/ go to modefy panel & add unwrap uvw

4/ in the parameters menu click edit ( this brings up a new window edit uvws )

5/ at the bottom you will see selection modes pick face sub mode.then click on the uv window ,this will cause 1 face to turn red ,zoom out a bit & move this off to one side.do this for all 6 faces.when you highlight a face in your uv window it will also be highlighted in your max veiwport to ,so you can workout whats what.

6/ find your front face then go into edge mode & click the top edge it should turn red ,you will now see that 1 edge has turned blue (this is an ajoining edge )now right click the red edge & chose stich selected your 2 faces should now become 1 ,do this for the other 2 faces so you now have 4 faces conected.then go back to your front face & do the same for the left & right edges

7/ your 6 faces should now all be 1 object so scale it to fit into the blue square in the uv window ,fit it as tightly as you can .

8/ now go to tools & render uv template ,save it & open it in your paint program & paint a basic texture on it .

well thats it a very basic uv tut for max theres a lot more to it but it will get you started,after you have mastered boxs try a cylinder & you will have the basic skills to uv map a more complex model,you just need to look at your model & map it in the best way for the shape.

hope this helps mate

cheers henry

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Henry! I'll try that in a minute!(at the moment I'm working on a pet site!) I'm sure it will help me alot! More of a reason for me to rush the login system

---
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline

Like that?

---
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 19:02
yes mate now texture it lol

cheers henry

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol, Attempted to texture it but messed up XD I'm too tired to texture at the moment but I've got a grasp on the basics of UV mapping! Thanks Henry, You've thought me both UV mapping and Texturing(I've read all the tutorials on your site)!

---
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2010 10:48 Edited at: 12th Feb 2010 11:15
Finally started on human modeling, I'll post a pic soon!
Have a week off of school now, Hoping to learn UV mapping!

@Henry Ham, I think you should make a book with photoshop and MAX tutorials. If you did i would buy it! I think your tutorials are amazing!

EDIT: Please don't be to harsh, It's my first human And i didn't go into to much detail because i'm going to add clothes (obviously).

---
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2010 16:36
Quote: "@Henry Ham, I think you should make a book with photoshop and MAX tutorials. If you did i would buy it! I think your tutorials are amazing!"

lol i dont think im up to that just yet mate.

Quote: "Please don't be to harsh"

ok first thing you need to do is lighten up your background in your render. press 8 on your keyboard & this will bring up the background menu drag the slider down a bit to give you a lighter gray ,this helps people to see your models better.

did you use reference photos for this model ? if not you need to

try not to use turbo smooth, it ramps your poly count right up ,if you get your loops & verts in the right places you can still get a smoothish model without the high poly count.

take a look at my base mesh on my site to give you an idea of the sort of spaceing you need on your polys

cheers henry

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
lol i dont think im up to that just yet mate."

Well, If you ever do be sure to tell me!

ok first thing you need to do is lighten up your background in your render. press 8 on your keyboard & this will bring up the background menu drag the slider down a bit to give you a lighter gray ,this helps people to see your models better."

Yea, I rushed the render I'll do another one in a min!

did you use reference photos for this model ? if not you need to "

I did but i don't think they were that good :\

try not to use turbo smooth, it ramps your poly count right up ,if you get your loops & verts in the right places you can still get a smoothish model without the high poly count."

I smoothed it for the render. I'm hoping to model clothes on top so the roughness of the model won't matter to much

take a look at my base mesh on my site to give you an idea of the sort of spaceing you need on your polys "

I had a look! Looks amazing! Made me realise how messed up my model is!

Anyways, Finally got around to UV mapping that MAC 10 (or starting the UV's). Got a week of school now (Well, 9 days. I also had today off ) so i should be able to get it done!

---
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2010 10:12 Edited at: 14th Feb 2010 10:14
Low Poly Coca-Cola Can:
10 Polys
16 Verts
Time: <20 mins

I may make a machine for this to go in Don't know yet though.
It's made to be a little item that you barely see. That's why it doesn't look to good.

Attached the UV map!

---

Attachments

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2010 10:14
very crisp, you should try making a higher poly version, mabey instead of 8 sides, you should try 32 or 16
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "very crisp, you should try making a higher poly version, mabey instead of 8 sides, you should try 32 or 16 "

Okay will do!

---
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline

I might add a normal map :\

Also, Firefox isn't working with the h, t, c and v keys... No idea why?

---
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2010 10:49
they look great
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2010 11:03
poretty much very awesome

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2010 12:37
good job mate

my only crit is your uv map ,the main body of the can should take up 2 3rds of the map & the top & bottom 1 3rd ,this will give you better results.

cheers henry

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2010 13:15 Edited at: 14th Feb 2010 13:19
Agreed on what henry said, also, why don't you try adding some more geometry such as the indents and the ring pull? Also because i am a big ass and feeling picky, your first model isn't really 10 poly's as the top and bottom are N-Gons. And on that note remember before you UV map, to get rid of those n-gons, this is because when you load them into an engine, they mostly dont render correct, or are triangulated in a very non-productive way.

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "they look great "

Thanks!
Quote: "poretty much very awesome"

Thank you!
Quote: "good job mate

my only crit is your uv map ,the main body of the can should take up 2 3rds of the map & the top & bottom 1 3rd ,this will give you better results.

cheers henry"

Thanks Henry! I'll try that in a minute

Quote: "Agreed on what henry said, also, why don't you try adding some more geometry such as the indents and the ring pull? Also because i am a big ass and feeling picky, your first model isn't really 10 poly's as the top and bottom are N-Gons. And on that note remember before you UV map, to get rid of those n-gons, this is because when you load them into an engine, they mostly dont render correct, or are triangulated in a very non-productive way.
"

I've never had problems with n-gons before :\ Anyways, I'll keep what you said in mind. Also, I was thinking about adding the ring pull but a normal map could probably do the rest

super hyper ultra low poly coke machine:
time: <40 mins
polys: 9

---
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2010 13:56
very nice, and wuickly produced, well done, the cans should however be slightly smaller
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "very nice, and wuickly produced, well done, the cans should however be slightly smaller "

Thanks! I see what you mean with the cans

---
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Wanted to do some 2D for a change

---
PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2010 23:57
How's the FAL coming along? Did you ever get the file back? Also, a heads up, I just started my own FN-FAL thread - I'm not copying you lol

Cheers

PwP

New Site is up! Go check it out!
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "How's the FAL coming along? Did you ever get the file back?"

No, It still says it's corrupted After i UV map/Texture the mac 10 i might re-make it.

Quote: "Also, a heads up, I just started my own FN-FAL thread - I'm not copying you lol"

Good luck with that!

---
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2010 12:09 Edited at: 18th Feb 2010 12:27
UV Mapped the clip for the MAC 10! But that's all

Started on a robot/mecha type thing. It's more of a mobile command center from the future The thing is, It doesn't render half of the sphere. Don't know why... Picture attached!

EDIT: I want it high poly because I'm trying to focus on getting it to look good

---

Attachments

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2010 16:37
Quote: "The thing is, It doesn't render half of the sphere. Don't know why... "

you need to click 2 sided in the material editor window

cheers henry

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Henry! Worked perfect! I'll post a pic soon

---
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
UV Mapped the clip and the back part of the gun

Getting the hang of it now, Can't wait to texture!

---
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2010 11:52 Edited at: 27th Feb 2010 15:48
Sorry for the triple post, Needed to bump this thread.

About half the MAC 10 is UV mapped

Made a Mech Warrior type... thing... Still a WIP, Need to make the head, Finish the hand, Add a weapon, Move some verts about and Add symmetry.

EDIT: I thought a Mech would be a good idea because it's basically a blocky version of a human

---

Attachments

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2010 18:54
Mike, you should really consider doing some preliminary sketches and study before you start a new model. Doing the pre-planning doesn't only help you come up with a better design, but it also helps you plan your mesh more accordingly. If you know the character is going to have a row of spakes coming out of his back for example, you will create your edges right from the beginning to properly accept an extrusion of the spikes. Doing things this way generally makes more a cleaner mesh, and a lot less tweaking in the end. There's also the benefit of not falling into the trap of random extrusions. Take your mech warrior for example, it seems you have simply grabbed the shoulder faces and extruded them outwards simply because you wanted some sort of thickness there. If you had designed the character first, you might have planned it more accordingly to be a specific shape and thickness, instead of just extruding out and leaving it as is.
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks RUCCUS! I guess i should sketch it out before i model it. But i just seem to get that feeling where i want to make a specific model and after i've designed it i just don't want to model it Anyway, I'll give it a go...

---
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2010 21:23
Well doing it now when you're just starting out will help you a lot in the future. If you're able to create very expressive concept art AND turn that into a 3D model, employers will love you.
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok Thanks! I'll try it later...

---
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Polys: 36
Time: 1-2 hour(s)

My WIP For the new compo! The crates need some work

---
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 20:00
Whats up with the low res?

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 20:02 Edited at: 4th Mar 2010 20:03
Max seems to only render small UV Maps :\ Anything over 512x512 is messed up So until i fix that I'm stuck with this quality

It seems this thread has turned red (the icon anyway). Finally, My first semi-popular thread XP

---

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 12:23:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 12:23:57