Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / First Person Shooter: Nuclear Winter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 02:46 Edited at: 8th Oct 2006 02:06
**** NUCLEAR WINTER ****

Introduction

This is a first person shooter that I originally started in May, called Nuclear Winter. I haven't worked on it much since then for a variety of reasons, but from now on, I'll be working on this as much as I can.

Story

The year was 2031. The Earth was in the middle of World War Three. New technologies, including advanced weaponry and genetic engineering of more powerful, and sometimes almost indestructible soldiers, were causing devastation all around the globe.

An arms race began, to possess as many of the newly designed plasma fused nuclear war heads as possible. Many countries have threatened to launch these missiles, and many more have built underground bunkers to protect their people from the explosions and following radiation.

Many plasma fused nuclear missiles were launched unexpectedly. As much of the Human population as possible was evacuated into the underground bunkers. The war heads were detonated, and the world on the surface was destroyed. The only thing that could be done now was live underground, until someday, the radiation would be gone, and life would once again be sustainable on the surface.

Everybody thought that the war would be over until that day. They were wrong . . .

The genetic engineering technology was taken a few steps farther. The enemy created creatures that could survive the radiation on the surface, so that they could attack with ease. These creatures broke free from the laboratories, began to kill their creators, and started to run amuck on the Earths surface, looking for something to attack. They found more underground bunkers, populated by allied forces and civilians. They attacked. The creatures were sure to wipe out human civilization completely.

Satellite images of the surface showed a machine being built. This machine was designed to quickly alter the air in Earths atmosphere. Its main purpose was to clear the dust and debris from the explosions that caused the nuclear winter. However, it could also be used to poison the atmosphere, and kill the genetic engineered creatures that were roaming on the surface. They were multiplying so rapidly, that this would be the only way to wipe them out, and save what remained of the world.

Screenshots

Title screen:

Your dorm room:

Bottom of a stair case:

Another room:

Combat:

Player just got shot:

The flashlight:

Werehouse:

Enemies:

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
the screenies are broken

Tíhí..
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
They weren't a second ago... I'm on it!
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
this game looks awesome! good work!

Tíhí..
Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 03:24
Yup, looks pretty good! Did you use 3DWS for the lightmapping?

Jrock is pronouned Jay-Rock
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 04:26 Edited at: 14th Sep 2006 04:14
Thanks.
Actually, I used Deled for the lightmaps.

There are a few things that I need to do before I release the first demo. Most of them are very minor and will not take long.

Add fall damage.
Add more enemies to the level.
Fix a few problems with the map itself.
Make a new enemy type.

The last one will take the longest of the four, but it's a basic enemy compared to the other two. It just jumps at you and tries to bite you.

I also uploaded a video (Length: 1:51)
Nuclear Winter Video -- Low Quality (2.0 MB)
Nuclear Winter Video -- Medium Quality (4.2 MB)
Nuclear Winter Video -- High Quality (5.5 MB)
Nuclear Winter Video -- Ultra Quality (7.3 MB)

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 16:58
Whoa, very cool! Better than any thing I've done recently

Are you using DarkPhysics or DarkAI?

My Apps:
Decal Maker
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 23:24
Looked very functional. Like a game I might actualy enjoy playing! Extremely minor detail, but since you've got so much sound, wouldn't it make sence to have a stepping sound?

Very nice.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 00:07 Edited at: 14th Sep 2006 04:14
Quote: "Are you using DarkPhysics or DarkAI?"

Nope.

Quote: "wouldn't it make sence to have a stepping sound?"

Yes, I'll add one. I also need to add sounds for the enemies.

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks very nice, the engine looks really advanced, I especially like your lights.
BTW, do you mind sharing how you did the flashlight?

Check out my site for the latest on my games.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 01:06
If you need any beta testers, send me an e-mail! I'd love to test this game

My Apps:
Decal Maker
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 01:30 Edited at: 14th Sep 2006 04:14
The flashlight uses a pixel shader.

I don't really need any beta testers, but I will be releasing the first demo very soon, so everybody can play it then.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
UPDATE:

I've finished everything on the list I posted before, and I've added footsteps and enemy sound effects. Now, I just have to make a new enemy and I'll be ready to post a demo!

I also switched to a different site to upload my images. Now I can show the whole picture here, instead of having a thumbnail linked to the full size image.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 16:46
Great! I can't wait!

My Apps:
Decal Maker
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 03:27
Poor guy, 278 views and only 14 replies, common people! Tell this guy what you think!

My Apps:
Decal Maker
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's the new enemy model. This is a very simple enemy. It jumps up and bites you.

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm. It looks just like two spheres to me. Maybe add a bit more detail? It would be alright I guess but it doesn't look like an enemy to me.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 05:55 Edited at: 15th Sep 2006 05:59
lol so maybe its a coconut alien!!

Looks great headcrab! Most fps' dont get this far into development so goods to you.

Regards,
greenlig

[edit] WOW just watched the vids that IS good!!! cant wait for a demo!!!

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 11:12
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
I only have a little bit more I need to do before I release the demo. It should be ready later today!

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't have much time to post much last time, so I'll post what I should have said then now.

I meant to keep this enemy looking simple, sort of like a blob. I used a lathe tool to make the general shape, then added a few more details. I also added blood splatter from shooting at the enemies.

I just have to place the rest of the enemies into the level. I'll also optimize some of the code. That should be done today, and then . . . DEMO!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 05:57
Yea! Can't wait

My Apps:
Decal Maker
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 16:06
Hey that looks pretty cool! I like the HUD and the flashlight!

Very nice work here. Keep it up.

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The flashlight uses a pixel shader."

Well yeah I figured that much, but are you using two scenes? One for the lightmapping and one for the textures, (or something like that) are you using Evolved's shader? Cos I tried that but the texture on my Map scales to like 1000 unless I use two maps (one ghosted), but then it kills my FPS; yours looks great so obviously you managed it well.
Game looks amazing BTW.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Natflash Games

The map is multitextured. Stage 0 is the main texture, stage 1 is the lightmapping, and stage 2 is the flashlight image. Evolved has another flashlight shader designed to work on a multitextured object like that. Somebody requested one here: http://vector3r.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=24

I also made some adjustments on the way I used the shader. It increased the framerate by about 50fps! Places that were running at 30fps went up to 80. Before, I was getting 90fps-95fps in some areas. That's up to 150fps now.

@ Everybody

The demo took a bit longer than I thought, but it's almost ready now. All I have to do is test it all the way through to make sure that there are no problems. Then, upload it!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 23:21
Wow, this looks awesome! Has a good story too, just the only thing about the story that I don't get is what I am supposed to do. am I defending the people from the creatures?

Ummm...
eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good. I would change the sound the pistol makes when shot though, it makes it not sound powerful at all. Maybe there's a reason it sounds that way, though?
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 01:47 Edited at: 19th Sep 2006 18:36
Quote: "the only thing about the story that I don't get is what I am supposed to do. am I defending the people from the creatures?"

You are told what to do during the game. At first you are just supposed to get your radiation suit and take the transit system to the surface access. On your way back to the transit system after getting your radiation suit, the creatures attack the bunker. You'll find that your fastest way back is blocked, so the objective of the first level is getting to the transit system (The first level will contain 5 maps, the first 2 are in the demo). When you get to the transit system, you are told that you have to get to the machine on the surface and activate it.

Quote: "I would change the sound the pistol makes when shot though, it makes it not sound powerful at all."

I think it sounds powerful enough for the weakest weapon in the game. Also, it may sound different in the videos because the sound is compressed.

And the moment you've all been waiting for:

Nuclear Winter Demo 1

This is the first of what I'm sure will be many demos of Nuclear Winter. This demo contains the first two maps, two weapon types and three enemy types.

There are two .EXE files included. One is "Nuclear Winter.EXE". The other one is "Configure.EXE". Run "Configure.EXE" to adjust the graphic settings. The default settings are 800x600x32, V-Sync off, Highest Quality. If that's fine with you, don't bother running "Configure.EXE".

When the title screen appears, click to continue. You will be asked to create a player profile. Type a name for it and click on OK. Choose the one you created and click on select profile. (You can have as many profiles as you want). In the options menu, you can adjust the brightness, customize the controls, adjust the mouse sensitivity and invert the mouse.

Here are the default controls:

Move: W,A,S,D
Use: E
Jump: Space
Crouch: Left Control or C
Sprint: Alt
Flashlight: F
Fire: Left Mouse Button
Reload: R
Melee: Left Shift
Select weapon: Scroll Wheel or [ and ] or 1 - 6

You can download the demo as either a .ZIP file or a .RAR file. After you select one, click on "Download file"

Size: 19.94 MB

Size: 15.15 MB

Total size uncompressed: 63.2 MB

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 02:17 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 02:18
Very cool. It seems like a very high quality demo. About the pistol, I still think the sound could use some work because even though it is a smaller, weaker weapon, it is still a barrel which contains an explosion which ends up being loud, even if it's weak. I'm sure it will be fine if you leave it the way it is though. Other than that, just work on the details to polish it.

I did get stuck though once I got to the large warehouse room with all the crates and the catwalks above. I wasn't sure where to go. It's easy to tell that you're a very avid fan of Half Life! Great Job!
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 02:37 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 02:38
Quote: "I did get stuck though once I got to the large warehouse room with all the crates and the catwalks above."

The top picture is the large warehouse viewed from above. The openings circled in green are entrances from the room with the three computers. The ones circled in blue lead to a smaller warehouse with crates on the side (bottom left). Pay attention to the crates. They seem to form a path from the ramp to the other side of the room....
They don't appear in the picture, but some of the crates have items ontop of them, or in them.

Quote: "It's easy to tell that you're a very avid fan of Half Life!"

Yep!

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 02:53 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 02:56
OK I just played your demo, and I gotta say, well freakin done!
The games engine was by far one of the best FPS engines I've ever seen done in DBPro; surpassing mine by miles.
However I gotta agree with eek, the sounds on all guns, let alone the pistol seem underpowered, and the enemy's screeches and such could show a little more emotion.
Also which is worth mentioning when I got to the warehouse and jumped on top of the crate with the armour and gun on top, I fell straight through it and into blackness, having to restart; which was kind of annoying.
Other than those little perks though this is turning out to be a very exellent game.
P.S. Where have I heard that menu music before?

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 03:17 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 03:17
Quote: "the sounds on all guns, let alone the pistol seem underpowered"

I'll add some more bass to the weapon sound effects to make them sound more powerful.

Quote: "Also which is worth mentioning when I got to the warehouse and jumped on top of the crate with the armour and gun on top, I fell straight through it and into blackness, having to restart;"

I'll look into that. I've been on that crate many times without that happening, do don't worry about jumping on it again.

Quote: "Where have I heard that menu music before?"

I was wondering if that would come up. I put music from Half-Life 2 in the menu as a place holder until I got my own.

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 05:02
I couldn't see a thing in the dormitories. It was all dark. looks fun though

____ ____ ____ ___ _ _ __ _ _ __ _ _ ____
|___ |--< |--| /__ Y | \| | | \| ___| |--|
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 09:49 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 09:54
I got a could not load sound at line 1349 error. I downloaded twice (the rar version). trying the zip now.

[edit] I get the same thing with the .zip

Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
this was made in fpsc right ?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120....
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 16:22
Supremacy - If it was made in FPSC why would he be posting here?

____ ____ ____ ___ _ _ __ _ _ __ _ _ ____
|___ |--< |--| /__ Y | \| | | \| ___| |--|
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I couldn't see a thing in the dormitories. It was all dark. looks fun though"

Did everything look dark, or were the walls all completely black but you could still see the hud, doors and lens flare? I loaded the game without the flashlight, and that's what happenend. So if you don't have shader support, that would probably cause it. If it just looked dark, go to the options menu and turn up the brightness.

Quote: "I got a could not load sound at line 1349 error."

Have you had problems with sound before, on other games? I tried loading a different game I made in DBPro on somebody elses computer who didn't have a sound card, and the same thing happened.

Quote: "this was made in fpsc right ?"

This was made in DarkBasic Professional.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 16:58
I haven't has any sound problems with any other games. I tried restarting, re-downloading, and checking drivers. All give me the same error. I wonder if it is a sound limitation on this card? I have a sound blaster live card from a couple of years ago.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I wonder if it is a sound limitation on this card?"

Load 90 3d sounds in DBPro and see what happens.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 17:31
I can't download it, when I click download file, it just refreshes the page! Could put a direct link or something?

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 17:55 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 18:23
Quote: "I can't download it, when I click download file, it just refreshes the page! Could put a direct link or something?"

I tried putting a direct link before. I dosen't work with that site.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 19:16
Yep crashes at 30 3D sounds here. Why in the world would you need 90 3D sounds at one time 0_o

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Why in the world would you need 90 3D sounds at one time"

At the moment there are 90 sound effects that are all loaded at once. I'll add an option to turn 3d sounds off. The sound will still play, it just won't be 3d. Does it work fine for you with 90 regular sounds?

I've started on the third map. It starts out in a maze of vents that you climbed into at the end of map 2. I'll release another demo when this map is finished.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 19:46
I can load over a 100 regular sounds (I stopped the tests at 100 as you said 90). So that should work.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can load over a 100 regular sounds (I stopped the tests at 100 as you said 90). So that should work."

Ok, so on the next demo, run "Configure.EXE" and set 3d sound to off.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 20:22
After running this on my higher end system ... it looks great. Pretty good frame rates and almost everything seems to work well. Cool effects and I love the flashlight

The only things I have found are getting hung sometimes on things and you can get shot through things at times. What are you using for collision?

If you want somewhere to upload the screens and demos without all the popups and fussing with the linking let me know. I have lots of storage space and bandwidth, I'll set you up an FTP account.

This is a great example of what can be done with DBP if you make time to work on a project and stick to it. Well done.

sneaky smith12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 20:38 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 20:47
Screen shots look good.

Finished downloading

Does not work.

Config:
Cant load image at line 3

Game:
cant load animation at line 9

If at first you dont succeed, LOWER YOUR STANDARDS.
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 20:41 Edited at: 17th Sep 2006 20:42
Quote: "What are you using for collision?"

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=5&t=74762&p=0

Quote: "If you want somewhere to upload the screens and demos without all the popups and fussing with the linking let me know. I have lots of storage space and bandwidth, I'll set you up an FTP account."

That would be great!

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does not work.

Config:
Cant load image at line 3

Game:
cant load animation at line 9"

Those are the first things that load. What are your computer specs?
Also, make sure that these files are there:
"Nuclear Winter Demo1\Data\Images\Menu\options screen.bmp"
"Nuclear Winter Demo1\Data\Movies\logo.wmv"

Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 23:31
looks pretty cool

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 00:45:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 00:45:23