Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / Cian's Entry : Perplex Syndrome - Super Happy Funtime Beat Puzzler!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

Geo wouldn't work for a competition. Not when the judges wouldn't have the time to play through the full game to get what it's all about at least. So I've come up with a new idea that is better for a competition. Meet Perplex Syndrome, a rhythm based puzzler that mixes elements from Meteos, Lumines, and Tetris to create something new.

Here's a MOCK UPto get the idea across. Please note that it is a MOCK UP and not an actual in-game shot.

Shapes that consist of 4 blocks fall from the top of the screen, and you have to align 4 of the same color blocks into a 2*2 square to create a "launcher" which will then shoot up into the air and launch any blocks on top of it with it. When a 2*2 is formed it doesn't instantly become a launcher, there is a "ticker" which moves across the screen horizontally and when it passes through the square it becomes a launcher, when it passes it again it actually launches. The reason it takes two times to actually launch is because if you form more launchers that are next to this other launcher it will polymerize to form a bigger launcher.

In Meteos, you're two planets battling it out, in P.S you're two DJ's that are going at it with your mixes, so each level is dependent on the song that's being played. The ticker mechanic is heavily inspired by Lumines, and everything else is a mix of the two and Tetris. You'll also be able to choose a difficulty level, which should be self-explanatory. I'm going to start development next weekend, so be ready to see IN-GAME shots then.

Enjoy.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 20:01
Hmmm...

I'm not sure gameplay combines in quite the way your imagining.

I think it would be better to build up from scratch, taking aspects from all those games, rather than trying to bolt together finished gameplays.

It sounds really interesting, it just can't quite play it out in my head at the moment.

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
That's understandable. Mainly because I didn't explain it very well, I've really done alot of thinking about the concept, and I think if you see it in motion it would make more sense, and would in fact work. Granted that's not to say I'm not trying to modify some aspects, I'm trying to perfect the idea so the game-play will be simpler to understand and explain while still maintaining the same goal. One change I've already made the decision to have the falling blocks be clumped into 2*2's or 3*3's instead of the tetriminos of Tetris.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 11:35
if you manage to get that graphical style in-game it will be v. cool.
i like the game style too. sounds v. addicting-ish.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Since I'm doing 2D the graphical style should be no problem. Anyways, I'm currently trying to figure out what would be the best way to code the basic game-play, so when I start coding on the weekend I'll hopefully have some idea as to how to go about it so I can get the core engine done, since that will be the hard part.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 20:50
Looks and sounds fun. A friend of mine starting doing a snake/tetris game where you controlled the falling sqaures like snake and then hit space. The blocks then froze in shape and then you played like tetris. It was pretty good, at least as an idea, but he wasn't a good enough coder at that point to carry it through.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. Well I've gotten a lot better at coding since I've been taking more time to learn it so I think this will be possible, but still a challenge. I've figured that the easiest way to do what I plan to do will to be making each block a 512*512 texture and applying it to a cube, and via an editor I will make, assign the cube a value based upon the texture and then in-game it will check for a collision of two of the same kind and that will be my starting point on where to go with it.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
So here's my game-plan. I've made 2 music tracks and their accompanying graphics thus far. Later tomorrow I plan to start building an editor that will be used to create the block clusters. After I finish the editor (which I hope to complete quickly) I will then begin work on the basics of the engine.

treborguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 15:11
i'm planning to do a 2d game for this comp as well, i was just wondering, where are you planning to incorperate your shaders? (seeing as there's 20 marks out of 100 going into them )

Brains are for idiots.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Shaders will be the hard part. I've been thinking of methods for incorporating them, but since I'm using 3D objects for my cubes I may start with some normal mapping to give them depth... o_O

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't quite get to finish the editor on the weekend and haven't had time since. Right now you can create and texture the blocks which also gives them an 'id' and but the blocks together as a 3*3 or 2*2. I still have to figure out how to export the info so this can be used in-game. Any help would be appreciated.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2006 03:24 Edited at: 9th Nov 2006 03:28
So from what i understand you need help reading and writing in a file? Well, here is a simple tutorial that covers basic reading and writing and then some interesting stuff like arrays. Some even more crazy stuff can be done like writing multiple variables to one line or writing file names to a line and then reading that file name, opening the file and reading the contents of that file (which i had to do for the project vertex editor since each part is separate).

Note = This requires a good understanding of variables -_-

So lets start of simple and we'll work our way into exporting data that needs to be found in other files (like i had to do for the ship editor)

Alright, lets say we have some sample data that we need to export as follows :
Name$ = Gokz
Health# = 10.0001

The code is real simple :

simple, right? You might ask why i wrote health as a string, well you can do it either way but i stick with writing the data as a string for variables that are floats because sometimes i want to cut off some of the decimal places on the float and you can do that with the str$() command.

Alright so now lets read it back into the game

Alright so in this code, i open the file and i read the data in the same way that i wrote the data. Its really easy because once the file is open it is sitting on the first line, and when we wrote the data we wrote the name in the first line, thus we read in the name first. the weird thing is that i read the string into a temp val e$ and then put it in the health variable. This is done for the obvious reason that i can't do "read string health#" because health# is a float. I'm not sure if you can replace that line with read float Health# ...feel free to try it out.

---------Its getting late maybe my writing is really bad...-------

Alright lets get more advanced,

I have an array i need to write into the data file that can have a maximum of ten values in it.

This is what i would do:
read through the array and write each piece of data in, when you find a spot in the array thats blank, stop. Then write a blank line or anything you could use to tell your self that this is the end of writing in the array.

so as you can see i wrote a "-----" after i wrote all the array data to tell my self that i have finished writing array data.

now when i am reading the file all you have to do is this :

What i'm doing here is that i'm reading in the string and checking if that line has the "----" if it does that means we have no more array parts to read in, if not we save the line into the array.

-------Guess i better go to bed...I'll update it if you find it usefull----------------

Hope this helps

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
It helped alright! But you went above and beyond... I really was looking for more of a theory than anything else. Thanks anyways though, 'tis greatly appreciated.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2006 21:18
Glad to help , if you need any specific examples just ask.

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm just so pissed off...

I need to enter this compo but while the game's puzzle system works I just can't make any good music and can't get the whole beat-based system to work either, so I'm thinking of something else that will be 3d and use shaders (I'll have to test them on friend's computers), and still give the judges a taste of fun in a few minutes. But modeling will be a problem, as will animating, because I can't get anyone do it for free (which is understandable).

I'm so pissed, I need to enter this compo, my only other idea is already being done by 3 other people. =/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 21:50:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 21:50:46