Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Ci-Con

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 21:31 Edited at: 29th Mar 2007 18:10
Ci-Con - A side scrolling action game

Update - 29th Mar 2007

Collision issues regarding enemies now fixed

-The Nerd

Update - 24. March

CI-Con Demo Finally Released

Hi all,

I'm very sorry about the slow development, but I've been busy with other things lately, although I hope that development on Ci-Con will be much, much quicker from now on

Anyway, it's been a long time since last update(too long, heh), and in the meantime I have been working slowly but steady on it.

Now there's two types of enemy AI. One type which can use guns and shoot, and another one which is melee based. That can be used for something as spiders or whatever the final version would include Also, I've made a lot of changes and fixes to the engine and the editor So it's pretty stable right now.

Also, I've implemented a costum font system. But you won't see it in the demo, as it needs more work. It's very basic right now.

And yes, as the text says, a demo have been released! You can download it here:
http://www.nerd.galekus.com/Ci-Con_Demo1.rar

Please notice

If you decide to download and give the demo a try, there's a couple of things you need to be aware of First of all you'll need the very latest DX9 and the ageia physX driver.

You can download the ageia physX driver from here:
http://www.ageia.com/drivers/drivers.html

And you can download the latest DX9 from:
http://www.microsoft.com

If you're not sure where on microsofts homepage you need to go to download DX, just search for DirectX in the searchbox and it should be easy to find

What the demo contains:

The demo contains a small test level where you can try to shoot enemies and such. It's made in a kind-of tutorial-style way. So there's instructions as you play.

Important

right now the engine script in the Ci-Con demo is set to a resolution of 1024x768x32. If you play the demo with this resolution, you may not see the player character in the very start of the demo. But no worries Just move the player a little to the right and you'll see him. The camera haven't been properly set with that resolution yet, hehe.

If you would like to change the resolution, you're able to do so by changing a LUA script. You can find it by going into the "DataScriptsEngineengineSettings.lua"

Known issues

There is some issues that you'll notice in the demo. The enemies may not be totally on the ground. This is because their gravity needs some tweaking. Also, when you collide with enemies, you tend to get stuck and so need to jump out of them. This is one of the first things I will try to get fixed. And yes, the enemies in the demo is DarkMatter models, but they're just placeholders.

Screenshots:

I hope you will enjoy the demo, and please do come with feedback!

Cheers.

Update - 26 February

Uploaded a new movie showing jumping and enemies shooting:
http://www.nerd.galekus.com/CiCon-EngineMovie02.wmv

Small download. No sound in the video, it doesn't seem like fraps likes to record sound from my headset, how strange that may sound.

----

Hi all!

I've been working on a new game for some time now. As the title says, it's a side scrolling game. It's in 3D. In the game, you run around as a man and you simply have to shoot enemies.

The storyline

Here's the storyline for the game. Some changes might happen:

And now you might ask what Ci-Con is? Ci-Con is a superweapon created by the Nebazu's. When activated, a lasergrid will sourround the earth, and begin to shoot down on earth with lasers from every possible angle. A weapon that's strong enough to destroy us, while leaving the Nebazu's unharmed in the underground.

As you've might figured by now, your job will be to destroy Ci-Con, and make sure they won't activate it.

You may think that some of the storyline sounds like something taking from Gears Of War. Well, I can tell you that I wrote this storyline before I even knew of Gears Of War. Nothing have been taken from it.

About the Ci-Con Level Editor

For Ci-Con I needed to make my own level editor. It's currently working very good for the purpose. It's functional enough for me to make levels that includes weapons, dynamic objects, static objects, guns and so on.

Here's a screenshot of the editor where I've just made a level(A movie where I play this level in the engine is available to download further down in this post):

About the Ci-Con game engine

I've worked really hard to make the game engine as flexible as possible for me to work with. And so far I think it's pretty good. It's powered by the use of LUA scripts(Thanks to Unity). I can control most of the aspects through these LUA scripts. I can control everything you can imagine about settings for the weapons etc. Also, if I want to add a new weapon to the engine, I don't need to do more than paste the weapons model file into a folder, then create a script for it. Pretty simpel The physics used for the engine is Dark Physics.

The engine can, of course, also load a level made by my level editor. When I mean load, I also mean that it make the dynamic objects dynamic, and so on. In short: Build up the whole level and make it interactive for the player.

Right now enemies isn't supported by the engine or editor. This will be the next big feature I will work on getting implemented.

Here's a screenshot of the level loaded into the engine:

I have pushed the dynamic crates that I placed in the editor, and picked up the weapons etc.

Video Download
If you would like to see a small video demonstration of the engine, here's the download:
http://www.nerd.galekus.com/CiCon_EngineMov5.wmv

Please note that the video do not contain sound.

If you're wondering why on earth the bullets are flying so slow, then I can tell that, yes, it is made on purpose I kinda like the style of it. Hehe.

Also, another thing is, for this project I wanted to create my own graphics. So all models you see are created by me. I've never really modelled before, so it's my first time modelling. Textures aren't made by me though.

The player will of course be textured and made better later on. But for now I want to focus on the programming.

A demo will be made availabe at some point

I hope you enjoyed it.

If you have any questions about Ci-Con, then I'll be more than happy to answer them.

-The Nerd

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 21:38
Looking good! I know you've been working on this for a while now, so it should be interesting to see where this ends up!

Ethan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 22:49
The whole underground civilization bit sounds like Game of the Year Nominee Gears of War.

Otherwise, looks promising.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 10:08
Quote: "Looking good!"

Thanks

Quote: "The whole underground civilization bit sounds like Game of the Year Nominee Gears of War."

Yeah, that's what I also mentioned in the post. I also realised this when gears of war came up. But I didn't get the storyline from Gears of War.

Quote: "Otherwise, looks promising."

Thanks

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 10:29
Intresting,You have the same problem as me...Coding is fine.but then the 3D models come...and those are crap and make it looks worse then it actualy is!

Nice one.I hope to see more soon.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 13:42
Quote: "Intresting,You have the same problem as me...Coding is fine.but then the 3D models come...and those are crap and make it looks worse then it actualy is!"

He, yeah I guess. But you can't do much more than just keep practicing

Quote: "Nice one.I hope to see more soon."

Cheers

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 14:37
Looks great man,

From your descriptions it sounds like it works really well; about the 3D models - you can get those sorted at the very end. It's most important to make sure it works well

Keep up the good work; everyone, I've been following this project for ages and he's put loads of effort it; give the man some feedback!

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 16:19
Ditto lol

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 18:25
Thanks for the support Hehe.

Anyway, I'm going to start work on the AI for the game. Should be interesting

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 01:15
Looks good! I liked how the boxes were moved around by you bumping into them. cute little video, it has potential!

Quit planning to make a game and make a game.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 02:10
Wow, I really like it! I can't wait until you have things like different buildings, powerups, enemies, platforms

IMO you should put a moving sky in the back, would make this game graphically uber.

-Mansoor S.

(Formerly Xenocythe)
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 09:18
Quote: "Looks good! I liked how the boxes were moved around by you bumping into them. cute little video, it has potential!"

Hehe, thanks!

Quote: "Wow, I really like it! I can't wait until you have things like different buildings, powerups, enemies, platforms "

Yeah, I think it's going to be quite cool too

Quote: "IMO you should put a moving sky in the back, would make this game graphically uber."

Yeah, I have been thinking of this. But before I can do that, I need to get my hands on some seamless skyboxes hehe.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 11:22
Seemless skyspheres are better,then look more realistic.as cubes you sometimes see the corners.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 12:20 Edited at: 30th Jan 2007 12:21
Quote: "Seemless skyspheres are better,then look more realistic.as cubes you sometimes see the corners."

Good point. I will re-visit this issue later on. For now I need to focus on the AI.

I will write down every issue/suggestion you guys come up with so I can look into the later on

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 12:45
Ugh..i hate typo's...

Oh well,lets see...

Double Weapons
Lightning(DOH)
Different AI sorts,Scared,Afraid of nothing,civilian,wacko.

uhm...thats all i can think of.i feel a little sick so i cant think very clearly...

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 17:14
That's a hot story to accompany a so far good looking engine. Keep it up!

You are not alone.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 17:50 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2007 17:50
Thanks for the comment Kohaku

I've been playing around with some ideas for how to implement the AI using Dark AI with Dark Physics. It actually works, but there's some things I need to take in consideration. But I think I'm going to have a shot with it and see how well it works with Ci-Con

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 18:50 Edited at: 5th Feb 2007 18:52
That looks pretty good. Cant wait for a demo.

If there's anything I can do to help out... ? I can make some DBP Plugins for you, if you like?

Cheers,

-db

"There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people."
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 21:53
Hi DB user 2006+

Thanks for the comment! And thanks for the offer too, but I don't really need anything right now Got all I need. But again, thanks for the offer!

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 05:01
No problem.

Have fun with this project. I am looking forward to its completion.

Cheers,

-db

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 16:18 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 16:19
Cheers DB user

Okay I've been busy with a project that's finally over now So I'm back working on Ci-Con. As I said earlier, I've been thinking of the AI, and I've changed my mind about using Dark AI for this project. I don't think it would fit in it. Instead, I'm gonna program my own AI. Since it's just a side-scrolling game it doesn't have to be super clever But we'll see how it goes.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 01:38
Hi all,

Okay after some research I've finally decided what to do about the AI. Cash Curtis II gave me a great idea on how to make the AI, and the actual control of players/characters etc. I have realised that this is going to take some time to get right, as I need to re-write some certain things. But I will update as progess goes by. And when AI is implemented properly, a demo will be released.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 05:54
Cool

Cant wait for the demo.

Happy coding,

Cheers,

-db

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 00:53 Edited at: 18th Feb 2007 00:55
Hi all,

Been a pretty long time since last update now huh?

Anyway, Over this past week I've been doing some progress on the engine. Not much, but still. First, I would like to write a little about what have actually happened with the AI. I made the desision to use kinematic objects all the way for character controlling. So I completely took out DP's character controller from the engine. Instead I use Sparky's collision plugin together with the kinematic objects. It works great. Since kinematic actors will also collide with true dynamic actors, there won't happen much when they collide with static actors. So, I use Sparky's collision plugin to create collision boxes that sourrounds the kinematic objects. So far it has all worked out great, and I can thank Cash Curtis for that idea, as mentioned in one of my above posts.

So I've made support for enemy position in the editor, and then of course, in the engine too. Right now all enemies use a global script for properties, this however will change. So right now the engine can position the enemies, and apply weapons to them. Collision and gravity is also applied to them.

Here's a little screenshot with two enemies on:

The resolution may seem a bit weird, but I'm running on a wide-screen monitor

Yes, the enemies are nothing more than a couple of cubes. But no idea in using all the time on the graphics yet right?

The enemies don't actually do anything yet, so you can't really call it AI, hehe. However, I have begun programming some basic AI for the engine and I hope to have some more to show soon.

Cheers.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 01:00 Edited at: 18th Feb 2007 03:02
Thats cool.

If you dont mind, I would like to contribute some models to this project. I will make them to my best ability, but they would only be temporary I assume.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

-db

[EDIT]
Enjoy this human model I made.
[/EDIT]

[href]www.tree3d.co.nr[/href] Tree3D Software... Because a 2D tree isnt good enough.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 15:06
Quote: "If you dont mind, I would like to contribute some models to this project."

heh, so you really like to help out huh? Well, as I said earlier, I'll be fine^^ One of the reasons I started this project was also so I could try to make my own models for the game. Also the reason I bought Milkshape 3D. Don't get me wrong, I really appriaciate all the help you want to offer me And if I really suck THAT much at modelling decent models when that times come, sure I will ask for help.

But right now I haven't asked for help, since I don't really need.

But as said above, I appriaciate that you want to help But it would be kinda of a waste for you to use time on models if I were to replace them anyway.

If I need help, I will ask.

And thanks for the comment

Cheers.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2007 14:08 Edited at: 25th Feb 2007 14:09
Okay a small update.

I've got the enemies to shoot at you when you come close enough to them. I will release a video demonstrating this as soon as I've made some tweaks here and there, and then I will release a small demo when I've made some optimization on the engine and fixed bugs if there should be any

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2007 22:06
Cool.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 17:29
I see this is coming along solidly!

Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to your big update and demo!

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 17:41 Edited at: 26th Feb 2007 17:43
Thanks for the comments guys!

Here's the promised video showing jumping and enemies shooting.
http://www.nerd.galekus.com/CiCon-EngineMovie02.wmv

The AI still needs work, but it's a start

By the way, it doesn't seem like fraps wanna record the sound. I guess it's something about my Headset it doesn't like.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 20:58
Sweet. The bouncing bullets thing is impressive, and i also like the guy's jet set willy walking in the air thing. It's a bit bizarre that he can change direction in mid air though.

You'll be able to click on this someday.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 21:01 Edited at: 26th Feb 2007 21:01
Quote: "Sweet. The bouncing bullets thing is impressive"

Thanks

Quote: "It's a bit bizarre that he can change direction in mid air though."

Yeah well, I'm pretty sure it will fit very well in the game though. I could easily change it though if it should prove not to do

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 20:56 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2007 20:58
Hi all,

Just here to inform you that the basic AI and bullet damage is actually done. Now the next step before releasing the demo will be for me to optimice and clean up the code. I've chosen to do so because that if I don't do it now, I bet it will never get done...

[EDIT]

And also, I will make more parts of the engine moddable through LUA scripts. After all this testing there's just too much hardcoded stuff laying around.

I'll also try to make a temporary model for the enemy, so you won't run around shooting cubes in the demo hehe.

[/EDIT]

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 17:22 Edited at: 24th Mar 2007 23:22
CI-Con Demo Finally Released

Hi all,

I'm very sorry about the slow development, but I've been busy with other things lately, although I hope that development on Ci-Con will be much, much quicker from now on

Anyway, it's been a long time since last update(too long, heh), and in the meantime I have been working slowly but steady on it.

Now there's two types of enemy AI. One type which can use guns and shoot, and another one which is melee based. That can be used for something as spiders or whatever the final version would include Also, I've made a lot of changes and fixes to the engine and the editor So it's pretty stable right now.

Also, I've implemented a costum font system. But you won't see it in the demo, as it needs more work. It's very basic right now.

And yes, as the text says, a demo have been released! You can download it here:
http://www.nerd.galekus.com/Ci-Con_Demo1.rar

Please notice

If you decide to download and give the demo a try, there's a couple of things you need to be aware of First of all you'll need the very latest DX9 and the ageia physX driver.

You can download the ageia physX driver from here:
http://www.ageia.com/drivers/drivers.html

And you can download the latest DX9 from:
http://www.microsoft.com

If you're not sure where on microsofts homepage you need to go to download DX, just search for DirectX in the searchbox and it should be easy to find

What the demo contains:

The demo contains a small test level where you can try to shoot enemies and such. It's made in a kind-of tutorial-style way. So there's instructions as you play.

Important

right now the engine script in the Ci-Con demo is set to a resolution of 1024x768x32. If you play the demo with this resolution, you may not see the player character in the very start of the demo. But no worries Just move the player a little to the right and you'll see him. The camera haven't been properly set with that resolution yet, hehe.

If you would like to change the resolution, you're able to do so by changing a LUA script. You can find it by going into the "Data/Scripts/Engine/engineSettings.lua"

Known issues

There is some issues that you'll notice in the demo. The enemies may not be totally on the ground. This is because their gravity needs some tweaking. Also, when you collide with enemies, you tend to get stuck and so need to jump out of them. This is one of the first things I will try to get fixed. And yes, the enemies in the demo is DarkMatter models, but they're just placeholders.

Screenshots:

I hope you will enjoy the demo, and please do come with feedback!

EDIT - Updated script

If you would like to have an improved bullet effect on the AK47(More powerful, won't bounce off that easy and so on), then all you have to do is to download the weapon script I have attached to this post and overwrite it with the original which you can find in the path:
Data/Scripts/Weapon Scrips

/EDIT

Cheers.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 23:36
I like it, though you need to fix the thing where the player starts off the screen. That's a little confusing. Also, fix scrolling so that the screen scrolls only when the player goes to the edge of the screen (rather than having the player in the centre all the time). Apart from that it's pretty cool.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 16:02
Thanks for the comment Ben I will look into the problems you mentioned. But first, I'm gonna implement the feature you suggested(hit indication on enemies).

Cheers

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 18:07
Update

Just a little update here

The issues regarding collision against enemies has now been fixed! It works really great now, and the enemies can also bite you when put to the melee attack mode.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 04:11
Congrats.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 16:49 Edited at: 30th Mar 2007 16:50
Thanks DB User!

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 01:09 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 01:18
Update

Okay so now I got the objective feature implementet into the engine Each level in the game will have a powerplant in the end of it that you'll need to destroy, to make sure the superweapon Ci-Con won't get enough power to start. Hehe.

Here's a little screenshot:

Please notice that the powerplant is also a placeholder I'll wait with the proper grahics as one of the last things. These quick models serve as nothing but testing.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 01:39
This game is really coming together. It's going to be very interesting to see in the future

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 13:51
Thank you for the comment Zotoaster!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:23:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:23:18