Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Milkshape 3d and FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 07:23 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 09:12
Greetings all. There seems to be some of confusion and what not about getting models working in FPSC with the use of milkshape3d. hopefully here I can answer some questions and help those haveing any trouble with getting characters and such into FPSC. If you have questions, post them here and I will answer them as best as I can in this posting. This first post will be a 'Post in progress' SO if your question isn't anwered right away please be patient.(Mods, I apoligize if this post seems unnessecary but I get waaay more than my fare share of emails on how to do this and that in Milkshape, so if I could be allowed this post to clear as much up as I can I would be eternally grateful. Thanks )

*Q-Can I get a .x file into Milkshape?
A-Yes. You can directly get a .x file into milkshape by clicking Tools/DirectX Mesh Tools- this opens a box with more Icons. Click the Folder icon and choose the .x file of choice. Click the Disk icon and it will place the object in milkshape. NOTE- It will have no bones and retain no animation, this is a mesh only tool. While it is in the mesh tool you can also use the polly reduction tool slide bar. It's not the best reduction tool but still is available to you.

*Q-Can I get the standard FPSC animated skeleton into milkshape, retaining animation?
A-Yes and No. Though Milkshape can import a .x it can't import the animation directly. I find that Fragmotion serves as a great companion to Milkshape. Fragmotion can import a .x file and retain the animation as well as bone information, then export as a Milkshape3d file (.ms3d) This allows for the mesh, bones and animation to be imported
into Milkshape.

*Q- Ok so I have this model and animated skeleton Imported into Milkshape, But I want to create my own enemy; What do I do?
A- What you can do is 'select faces', then selact all the faces and delete them. this will give you a skeleton to work with. The skeleton is still animated, so all you have to do is create your model around the skeleton. Use milkshapes abilaty to uv map; the less you depend on other programs the better.

*Q- But I just found a bunch of freebies on Turbo Squid and they are already uv mapped, I just need them attatched to the FPSC skeleton. How do I go about doing that ?
A- Very carefully. The first thing you do is make sure you have a working FPSC skeleton and save skeleton only as a milshape 3d file. Then close milkshape. Open it again and import your model FIRST! Then File/Merge...and choose the skeleton MS3d file. The skeleton must be chosen second or you will loose all animation. You may have to resize/reshape the model in order to fit the skeleton. NEVER reshape the skeleton to fit the model; it will screw up all your animation. Attatch the vertecies to the bones as normal and export.

*Q- When exporting my model, How do I go about doing it? What exporter should I use? What settings should I have on?
A- First off save your model to back it up, then export useing the JT exporter; do not use the directX 8.0 exporter. For some reason it totally screws up animation and models in FPSC(at least in my experience) Use the Jt exporter and make sure the following changes are made in the JT exporter dialogue box-

*Q-I followed your advice but my model still sinks halfway into the ground; What am I doing wrong?
A- You are using an older skeleton. Before FPSC V1.4 it really didnt matter about the first bone of the skeleton; all you had to do was make sure the feet were at y coordinates '0'. Now the industry standard is haveing a 'root bone'- the first bone of the model is at x,y,z, coordinates 0,0,0. In between the feet. allot of skeletons of the past had the 'root bone' at the crotch area or even off to the side at hip height. Do not use these skeletons, import a better one with the proper positioning.

*Q-With the milkshape skeletons, do you assign the vertices to the bones or bips?
A- I have always assighned Vertecies to the bones right below the listed Bip. I don't suppose it really doesn't matter, but I tend to try to stick with operating on the more milkshape related parts within milkshape, just to avoid unforeseeable problems.

*Q-How do I set up animations in my FPE from mikshape?
A- Well quite honestly if you are useing the default skeleton then you really just have to copy a similar FPE and just change the name, name of the model and name of the texture. A current animation list and their numbers should already be provided on page 88 of your FPSC manual. These are the standard animation numbers and they corrolate to the anim frame numbers (example)-
anim1 = 210,234 (anim1 refers to the idle animation, 210,234 arer the frames of the start and end animation)
Should you have a custom skeleton the numbers need to be subtracted by 1 (from what they are listed in milkshape)This is because FPSC reads the first frame as frame 1 where as Milkshape reads the first frame as 0.

*Q-Can I alter the animations in the default skeleton?
A- Yes but honestly it's easier to add animations to the end of the animation frames. The problem is when you import a .x that has been turned into an ms3d file, all the 'key frame animation' info is gone and it makes every frame a key frame. So to make a custom animation just increase the amount of frames by what you will need and create your animation at the end. Google a milkshape animation tutorial for specifics on how to animate.

*Q-I do everything you say for the animation thing with the directx jt, but when I export it, and put it into make entites from x it keeps saying error 7018 could not load object at line 49, can you help?
A- I honestly don't have any experience with 'make entities from x'. I do everything manually and use a previous example that is similar to what I am putting in and only change the nessecary parts. If you already have a failed attempt then you already have bad info that does not get covered up. You can relieve this by eraseing the previously made .bin and .dbo that is associated with the file, otherwise no changes will be made. Sometimes you also get an error like this if you make an entity and not attatch it to a bone. All models in FPSC MUST have a bone attatched, even if all the vertecies are attatched to a single bone set at x,y,z, coordinates 0,0,0. Even segments.

*Q-Is there a way in Milkshape that in just the last frames, that you can reset the skeleton??
A- Yes; the easiest way to do this is to go to the first frame of animation, select/bones, then select the entire skeleton, Animate/check 'Operate on selected joints only',Animate/Copy Keyframes, move to the blank frame or first frame you wish the 'reset' frame to be, Animate/Paste Keyframes, Animate/Set Keyframe. This will make the start frame of the new animation the same as the very first. I never suggest manually moving the bones as the human hand, though skilled, cannot achieve the perfection of copying the pose.

*Q-when i export like you said i get a character with animations and all, but it is completely black in the fpsc(textures appear in milkshape, but not fpsc). there are no textures of any kind on it. how can i correct this?
A-Are you sure you have the correct amount of textures? Usually if you have more than one texture you run into this problem. Although it is possible to use multiple textures, if you are only useing one texture for the model in FPSC it must also only have one in Milkshape3d.

*Q-When opening a model using fragmotion it says error loading .fpe (not sure what the filename is ) file...
A- Well that's your problem right there. You don't want to open the .fpe. The .fpe is a text file, not a model file. The ones you want to open are .x or .dbo.

*Q-All i wanted to do was make more unique looking female characters by making AIKO wear different clothes... can this be acomplished with UV map editing in milkshape and how??
A- Yes it can be achived this way, but an easier way would be to just alter the texture instead of alter it's uv mapping. As for how you need to google some Milkshape3d tutorials as I'm only covering aspects of Milkshape as related to FPSC. There are a ton of general modeling tuts in Milkshape out there.

*Q-Also, even though the .fpe file wasn't loaded i did what was specified above and imported to milkshape and exporting it to .x using DirectX JT... but I can't find the new renamed file in the entities scifi list (i saved it there)... I'm sure I'm missing something... can someone help me out?
A-Once again, your'e not loading the .fpe. You need to import the .x into Fragmotion, and save the file as a .ms3d file you will remember in a place you know.Then open it in milkshape3d and export also knowing what the name is and its location. Honestly we can't tell you where you put something on your comp that you don't know what it is even named. That's less a modeling thing and more just general pc skills.You have to keep track of names and places.

I hope this helps and if there are any more Milkshape to FPSC questions I will answer them in this post to keep all the questions together in one spot. Please do not ask basic usage Milkshape questions as there are a ton of those tutorials out there already. You can just google them. Only ask FPSC related ones.

Sincerely,
D13
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 11:45 Edited at: 15th Oct 2007 11:47
There is a working FPSC skeleton you can directly load into Milkshape (it is in Milkshape format) somewhere around here if you search for it).
I recommend saving the finished file in Milkshape format and then use another program to convert it to .x and export it.
I use Ultimate Unwrap 3D but you can always use Fragmotion for this since it would be a good idea to have simply because you have to move that silly vertex in some of the older animated models with it.

Editops...I just realized that the skeleton I was referring to is an older one so you would have to move that vertex to use it.

Please have mercy and use the search function.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 18:12 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 09:12
I'll try to provide a good working skeleton here in this post to save some trouble, but the instructions are for those who want some of the specialized zombie skeletons and such. Now the only reason I don't suggest leaving milkshape for exporting and UV mapping is the residual imprints left on the model. Sometimes it renders the skeleton useless. With every program used more info is put into the model and it increases the chance of not working. For example, I'm not sure what processes were use for createing Rolfy's giant mecha model, but when importing it into Fragmotion it is a complete mess with screwed up animations and non attatched vertecies. Same with allot (not all) of the MP9 models. I'm not sure what the process was to create them , but I get the same result when trying to import/export /reimport from multiple programs. My best advice is to keep it as clean and simple as possible. If you use milkshape, use it to its fullest potential to avoid inconsistancies. From what I gather it's UV methods are easier than most. Heck if I have to I may even include a basic function tutorial. Thanks FredP for the sticky BTW! .
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 18:41
You're welcome.I didn't think of it that way.Different programs have different ways of exporting .x files and such and that is a good idea.I haven't tried UV mapping in Milkshape so I guess it's time to find a tutorial...

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 20:47
Great tutorial! absolyutly fantastic, one question tho....with the milkshape skeletons, do u assign the vertices to the bones or bips? thanks for everything Disturbing!

HMMMMMMM
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 21:09 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 09:12
@Dr Parsnips- Answer and question added above. .
Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 21:14
thanks you are legend!

HMMMMMMM
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 23:06
Really Useful. But can you put in there somewhere a bit about editing the animations of an existing character, and how to setup the fpe to use the animations. Thanks!

[center]
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 00:07
knight raven
Years of Service
User Offline
nice, this is a great tutorial disturbing 13. thanks so much for making it. i did what you said and all and now i have a new character enemy in fpsc will all the animations working and all. truthfully, it's quite beautiful. the only problem i have now is that the characters hold their guns backwards, lol, i have no idea how. so when they shoot me the bullet comes from the handle of the autoslug. it's really weird and makes the animation glitch when they shoot.
do you know how i could fix this?

thanx again for the great tutorial.
m man
Years of Service
User Offline
I do everything you say for the animation thing with the directx jt, but when i export it, and put it into make entites from x it keeps saying error 7018 could not load object at line 49, can you help
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 11:02 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 09:13
@TGPEG- Answer and questions added.

@Inspire- Thanks, Now I don't have to post it again

@m man- Answer and questions added. .
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 17:53
Good contribution, and thanks for clearing that up. Is there a way in Milkshape (and I know that this isn't FPSC specfic that in just the last frames, that you can reset the skeleton? I have done that, and got the desired result, but I had to manually put the skeleton back to the start position, and the stomach has been stretched.

Nevertheless, good idea to do this.

[center]
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 20:38 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 09:13
@TGPEG-Answer and questions added. I still kinda considered it an FPSC realated question, as the suggestion for new animations for FPSC was to put it at the end, and you are right, a base starting point is a great thing to have.
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 20:52
Wow, I have had Milkshape for months, and I didn't even know you could uvmap with it.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 23:11 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 09:13
indeed it's nice to have all your nessecities in one place
knight raven
Years of Service
User Offline
disturbing 13: when i export like you said i get a character with animations and all, but it is completely black in the fpsc(textures appear in milkshape, but not fpsc). there are no textures of any kind on it. how can i correct this?
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 00:41 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 09:13
@knight raven- question and answer added, my apoligies for being so late with the reply. I hadn't seen the post till just now.
Hardcore
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 00:55
Great Q&A!! Thanks D13.
knight raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks D13. once again, great tutorial. it helped me a lot. I had no idea what I was doing till you made it, lol. I got the texture in and it looks great. Awsome stuff.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 13:11 Edited at: 8th Jan 2008 13:36
Great tutorial and very handy for many folks.

Quote: "I'm not sure what processes were use for createing Rolfy's giant mecha model, but when importing it into Fragmotion it is a complete mess with screwed up animations and non attatched vertecies."

I think the reason that you have problems getting this model into fragmotion is that it has position controllers (attachment constraints) to keep the pistons at the back of the 'knees' in position when the legs move,possibly frag doesn't recognise these.
Also no physique or skin modifier the separate parts of the mech are simply attached to the bones,as you dont want to deform the mesh for a mechanical object.

marty
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi D13, here's my problem, the process works GREAT on one model, I assign bones and so on and suck it on over to FPSC using your guidelines and a correct skeleton. But I use the SAME skeleton with a different mesh and it sinks halfway into the ground.

Chuckles the clown made it, but the doctor with the chainsaw is stuck in the ground...

only the strange survive, make the familiar strange
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 20:30 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 09:14
@rolfy- thanks for the explaination, this also happens on allot of MP9 and 10 models. Glad thre is a logicical explaination, however...

@marty- ...I unfortunately don't have an explaination for what happened to your model. That is to say it's happened to me too and i just wind up exporting one more time in fragmotion and fixing the position of the offending bone. It's a complete mystery to me why this happens. It's not often but it does happen to me. just curious what version of milkshape are you useing? curent build is 1.8.2.
marty
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm up to the latest version. Going to go back through your steps CAREFULLY and see if that doesn't do the trick...

(glad to know it ain't all me!)

only the strange survive, make the familiar strange
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 23:26 Edited at: 8th Jan 2008 23:27
Quote: "(glad to know it ain't all me!)"

LOL yup I've personally named that group of bone "The Wanderer" as it winds up in so many places. I've seen it back at the hip, chesthight and 4 body widths to the right, 2 full body heights above the character, I can go on forever.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 14:15
really useful stuff D13 wish I had noticed this page sooner

the world is complicated only people are simple
Molten Ice
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I have this small problem....

When opening a model using fragmotion it says error loading .fpe (not sure what the filename is ) file...

All i wanted to do was make more unique looking female characters by making AIKO wear different clothes... can this be acomplished with UV map editing in milkshape and how??

Also, even though the .fpe file wasn't loaded i did what was specified above and imported to milkshape and exporting it to .x using DirectX JT... but I can't find the new renamed file in the entities scifi list (i saved it there)... I'm sure I'm missing something... can someone help me out?

Thanks! I'm REALLY new to modeling hence the stupid noobish questions.... please dont flare up at me

Thanks!
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 22:20
Answered in the first post

Molten Ice
Years of Service
User Offline
OK... I tested this.... I tried opening a .dba and a .x file with FragMotion (trial version... if that helps) and after loading the texture i got the following messages (I tried opening colonel.x file and aiko.dbo file:

Error loading texture: Col-X_1_D2.tga
Error loading texture: Aiko_1_D2.tga

Hope this helps...
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 23:19
well I honestly don't know that much about about fragmotion,just enough to use it as a go between, but I do know it is not nessecary to have the texture on the model when converting it to an ms3d file. You can do that in milkshape.

knight raven
Years of Service
User Offline
molten ice: i get the same errors too. it doesn't matter that you have the trial version. i attached a word document that tells you how to do it. hope it helps.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Molten Ice
Years of Service
User Offline
Some help to get texture back on for Milkshape appreciated... i found 'CTRL + T' Texture coordinator editor but I don't think that will help place the .tga file...
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 12:03
there is a texture tab where you read the texture. All this can be found if you google basic milkshape tutorials. Im only covering via fpsc. not milkshape modeling basics. you really need to get to know milkshape before even trying any of this. serach for some tuts by a guy named scarecrow

Molten Ice
Years of Service
User Offline
I just realised how much of a noob question I asked...

lolz anyways.... searched and found how to get it working... thanks a bunch!!
Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 13:37
Quote: "Wow, I have had Milkshape for months, and I didn't even know you could uvmap with it. "

I had it for over a year before I even began to texture/uv map with it....I'm pathetic lol.

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios
Molten Ice
Years of Service
User Offline
@Knight Raven

Oops... forgot you had posted some help!! Thanks it helped!

To others who might face the same problem here's the file uploaded by him... (P.S. if you want me to remove it I will)

How to get the texture on FragMOTION if you get the .tga error...
Quote: "1: import model or mesh (.x file), once imported press Ctrl+A to select all faces. make sure all faces are selected.
2: on the right control panel go to “Textures” tab
3: right click on the checker like image and click "open texture"
4: now open your texture from your destination (checker image should become the texture image that you are trying to apply)
5: on the top of the screen locate and click the "Texture" tab
6: click "Assign Material to Selection" and Select Material window appears
7: click "Material_1" and "OK"
8: texture should be applied and highlighted in red
9: go to top "Texture" tab again and click "Select Faces With No Material" and you should be good to go
"

- Tutorial created by Knight Raven

Why did I waste my time doing this? well, i'm basically a noob at almost everything here so thought i should do at least something for the community
Dark Jaguar Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 09:27
Hey sorry for the bump, but how can i create a model around the bones?
When i clik on animatie and play the animation, the bones move, but the mesh dont move...

Anybody know the problem>?

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 15:08 Edited at: 26th Feb 2008 15:12
Check this out.

You might want to make sure you assign the vertices of the model to the joints.

Dark Jaguar Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 15:37 Edited at: 26th Feb 2008 15:38
I just made a animated enemy but it is inviseble!
I have make a model in milkshape, but the bones and joints with the model, and when i pres animate it just is normal...
And export it with the things d13 said..

But when i make it a character with makeentitiesfromxfiles..
I just see a weapon flow in the air..

knight raven
Years of Service
User Offline
if the bones move but the mesh doesn't i think you should try re-rigging the model. for the invisible problem make sure you have only one texture assigned to the model in milkshape when you export. i had a huge problem with invisible models myself. then i assigned only one texture like D13 said and the model imported into FPSC great. i hope i helped or at least gave you something new to try out.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 20:38 Edited at: 24th Mar 2008 20:41
Here is a good tutorial for assigning vertices to bones for a character model. You can see them moving with the skeleton.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=125252&b=21

Finally character development has become a little more accessible thanks to these tutorials.

Can anyone expand on the texture side of things i.e. how to ensure that you only export a model with 1 material from Milkshape into FPSC so the character appears correctly (not invisible). If you are using multiple textures, how do you specify to only export as 1 ?

Thanks
born for game
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks a lot for your help.The good news is : it worked.The bad news is : I got another problem. The pistol in the character\'s hand is on the wrong position. The pistol points to himself.
Jav
Years of Service
User Offline
How to export the character u created in milkshape into the fpsc?
please reply.. thanks. its URGENT!
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 22:45
Ta, very helpful! Thanks!

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 23:25
Please don't bump old threads.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 05:44
Does this work the same way for x10?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 00:14:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 00:14:24