Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Advanced Terrain For Upgrade 5.7

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 02:54
Here is the latest DLL for terrain that works with upgrade 5.7. No installer with this, for now just get the DLL and place it in the "plugins-licensed" folder. Tried out the demo and all is working well. Sorry for the delay with it, hopefully all is okay now

Mike

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 02:57 Edited at: 30th Oct 2004 03:01
ARRAGH!!! I just posted a message about this!!! Yeah!

[EDIT]
I just get the meesage that "Licensed Plugin is not recognised by compiler! Visit www.thegamecreators.com for an update" *BUT* it does seem to run the demo (currently)

-This...is my boomstick!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 03:02
That works nicely Mike. Ta muchly.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 03:39 Edited at: 30th Oct 2004 03:45
YAY Now all we need is the bebugger and step through and we'll be kickin Thank you much.

[edit] At work now. Does this fix the set display mode crash with advanced terrain? If not do you have any idea when it is scheduled? No rush just a little info will help alot

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 03:49
Doesn't fix the set display mode crash. We need an update to the compiler so that it lets all custom DLLs know that the D3D device has changed which it doesn't do right now so that's why we get the crash. This isn't in right now but hopefully will be sorted for the next upgrade. Will talk to Lee about it.

Mike
Snaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 05:25
yeah, it works, thanks!!!!!!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 05:34
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 06:10
Yaaay!!

2 days to compo deadline...upgrade to 5.7...time to bite the bullet, methinks...

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
DcZee
Years of Service
User Offline
Much thanks,...!! Ive, in the meantime, developed another way of generating terrains hehe,..but not as good as advanced but works quite well in a pinch. Lots of work for you guys, I dont know how you keep up,..but anyways thanks again.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 10:15
It Works! It Works!

I had to uninstall and reinstall EZrotate, but now all is in order.

Thanking you indeedy.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
AtomR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2004 01:13
Transparency flag 4 works here but with the exact same result as flag 2. I think I'm going to have to reinstall DBPro from scratch.

Take care
AtomR
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2004 15:59
Uhm, the save terrain command doesn't... work anymore. It gives no error, but no file is produced.

- Rpg Cyco

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 05:33
Quote: "Uhm, the save terrain command doesn't... work anymore. It gives no error, but no file is produced."

This upgrade is for advanced terrain, not standard terrain.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 06:30
I think he was talking about the advanced terrain.
There is a save terrain in the advanced terrain according to the help files.

SAVE TERRAIN Filename, Terrain ID

Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 14:29
Quote: "This upgrade is for advanced terrain, not standard terrain."

No, the standard version of the Advanced Terrain plugin is supposed to have the save terrain command. It's in the help file, as Lost in Thought mentioned.

This command worked in the original release of AVT, albeit with bugs, but now it doesn't seem to work at all.

- Rpg Cyco

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 19:53
Quote: "No, the standard version of the Advanced Terrain plugin is supposed to have the save terrain command"

Ok, sounds good. Does this mean you can set up a terrain, with heightmap, detail map, dimensions etc, than save the settings into one file?

If the answer is yes, this is good! The help file doesn't say much about it.

Assuming this is what it does, what does it do about th eimage files? Does it assume they are in the same directory as the terrain file?

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 20:14 Edited at: 1st Nov 2004 20:17
Quote: "Ok, sounds good. Does this mean you can set up a terrain, with heightmap, detail map, dimensions etc, than save the settings into one file?

If the answer is yes, this is good! The help file doesn't say much about it."

Yep. That's what it does, and will be very handy when it's all working.

Quote: "Assuming this is what it does, what does it do about th eimage files? Does it assume they are in the same directory as the terrain file?"

I don't know the answer to that question yet, as it's never worked 100% properly. In the previous release (the version before the update in this thread), everything except the texture info was saved, so when you reloaded a saved terrain it obviously had no texture. This is a known bug apparently, it was confirmed by Mike in the original release thread (second page of this thread, quite a few replies down).

I hope this issue is fixed in the next release, as the terrains when they work, look sensational.

- Rpg Cyco

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 21:03
I noticed a glitch on the latest correction. My project was 95% there, so I've spent a lot of time staring at Terrains in 5.6. When I upgraded, the automatic Hiding/Showing of limbs seemed to be lagging slightly.

For example, If I turn anti-clockwise, I get a momentary white patch on the left of the screen. I am assuming this is where the limb hasn't revelaed itself again quite quickly enough. It never happened in the original release.

I did the upgrade from U5.6 to U5.7 at the same time. So it could be a 5.7 issue and/or a Terrain issue.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 23:45
I replaced the DLL and when I go to compile, it still bombs out. It's the only DLL/expansion pack I have installed. This is after a fresh os install and a fresh dbp install with 5.7 patch, then advanced terrain, then dll in that order.

I compile and run the exe and boom...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 00:37
Quote: "I replaced the DLL and when I go to compile, it still bombs out"

Did you read this bit...

Quote: "Doesn't fix the set display mode crash. We need an update to the compiler so that it lets all custom DLLs know that the D3D device has changed which it doesn't do right now so that's why we get the crash"

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 07:35
Well, I read it now...Bummer

DcZee
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that Advanced Terrain Plus may deal with some of these problems,..but until first person is launched i dont think we will see that too soon. I developed a secondary terrain system when 5.7 didnt work, and when we got advanced back and working it was 100fps slower than our new terrain ,..so for now we are sticking with the new terrain system and waiting for advanced Plus to perhaps clean up some of the problems.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 04:53
Odd. The plugin works fine in the "plugins-user" folder as well and doesn't require activation.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 19:20
Quote: "Odd. The plugin works fine in the "plugins-user" folder as well and doesn't require activation."

Trying anything dodgy?

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 16:04
Advanced Terrain does not work for me at all. I'm running the example code that came with the advanced terrain download. It crashes. There is no set display mode command in this code. I've used the dll from this thread, and it still crashes. The exe is compiled, when the exe is run, the program opens a screen in windowed mode and the display is black and it exits the program.

Also, what's the context for UPDATE TERRAIN? This isn't doccumented anywhere. Is it just UPDATE TERRAIN?

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 16:16
Uh, now it works for some reason. WHAT THE HELL...I don't get it...

Dr Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 00:31
Got a question for anybodt here that might know the answer hopfully! Im' wondering if it's possible to apply global fog to the entire terrain mesh?!? I've worked with blitz 3D before, And Blitz 3D applies global fog to their terrains. Can DBPro do the same? Because I tried to apply fog to a terrain, And all it seems to fog is the background or... more exactly put! The backdrop bitmap image surrounding the terrain! Here is a link below explaining my problem here!

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=43073&b=1

I hope there's an answer to this question! Thank's to anybody that can help out on this!

Best Regards,

DoctorWho...
Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 02:31
Slight problem , installed v5.7 of db , then the exe , then the update , like the user above , with no avail , the command make object terrain doesn't even appear blue ... if anyone would have an help file on this , this would come in handy ?

lol btw , the plugin user stuff doesn't work either

A pixel is nothing , lots of can be all
G Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 16:39 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2004 17:04
Ok Perhaps this is the set screen mode error that I'm seeing here. Perhaps not.

I made a little test program which runs fine from the IDE in the project directory, but when I compile it (Exe with attached media), move the exectable to another directory to test it. It blows up. The CrashOn.txt says:
Quote: "m_dwRuntimeErrorDWORD=0
m_dwRuntimeErrorLineDWORD=374"

Another problem I'm having is that every time I go into the editor, I get beat up to register now. Is this still the demo version of the advanced terrain dll?

Oh and another thing... When an error message occurs, first of the dialog is not given focus, so I have to go looking for it, secondly, the reported line number is off by about a dozen lines consistantly. (i.e. the error is reported in line 345 but is caused by a command on line 357...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE
I've done a little troubleshooting that might help here. I placed all of the media files in the same directory with the compiled application and everything ran fine. Then, I began deleting files until it blew up again. If the bitmap that serves as the height map is in the folder everything works fine. If it isn't it blows up. I checked the media list in the IDE and the file is listed there. Perhaps the DLL's routine to access the file from within the .exe is what's horked up.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 17:05
Sounds like its not finding the media. Try it without attaching that.

Quote: " I get beat up to register now"

?

Quote: "Is this still the demo version of the advanced terrain dll?
"

There wasn't a demo as such - there are two versions though - the advanced terrain and the slightly more advanced terrain.

Quote: "Oh and another thing... When an error message occurs, first of the dialog is not given focus, so I have to go looking for it, secondly, the reported line number is off by about a dozen lines consistantly"

The latter problem is known and wont be fixed until Lee starts looking at the compiler. As for the former, it sounds like something is removing the window focus when it shouldn't be.

Walk softly... and carry a big gun...
G Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sounds like its not finding the media. Try it without attaching that."

It will work without attaching the media to the executable (that of course if you put a copy of the media in the directory with the executable). If I'm not working with advanced terrain, it work fine attaching media to the executable. As soon as I tickle the encryption or compression options though every executable generated chokes. I have the same problem with it not finding the height map if I put the media in a .pck file too, but that option works fine for any other media

Quote: "There wasn't a demo as such - there are two versions though - the advanced terrain and the slightly more advanced terrain."

I downloaded the advanced terrain install executable that was floating around here. I installed that, then copied the .dll from the link above over top of the .dll that the installer created. Is that not what I should have done? Is that why I'm getting the annoying registration screen every time in run the IDE?
Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
I have installed advanced terrain (which is now activated).
I get an error with the single line "make object terrain 1". The printscreen is attached.
The order of operations I have done:
- installed DBPro 5.5
- installed advanced terrain pack for 5.4
- upgradeed to DBPro 5.7
- put adv terrain dll for 5.7 in plugin licensed folder

Is there something else to do?
Thanks for help.

Fox

Attachments

Login to view attachments
G Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Any chance anyone can tell me how to make the silly registration thing go away?

Here's what I did (again)...

1.) Installed the original version that was delivered when I bought DBPro (ver 54)

2.) Installed the ver. 57 update.

3.) Installed the advanced terrain dll garnered from this address: http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/packs/Terrain_Expansion_Pack_Standard.exe (because I wanted the help and example files).

4.) Copied the advanced terrain dll intended for DBPro ver. 57 on top of the one supplied with the above install.

Now everytime I go into the IDE it throws up a registration screen asking me to register (you know, the one that tells you to click an icon but there are none)...

So how do I get rid of it?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 22:01
Quote: "I get an error with the single line "make object terrain 1""

hat looks like the one you get when you don't use a high enough split value. Increase the split, and watch the error magically vanish!

It's all to do with the number of polys per limb, you currently have too many.

BatVink
Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your message, BatVink.
You must be right because the demo (I tried it inbetween) is working fine on my computer. So, it must not come from a configuration problem but is probably a development issue.

Fox
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
what do you do after you put it in the plugins folder? what is supposed to happen?

The Uknown Element Gaming Group
http://www.freewebs.com/tuegames/home.htm
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 20:24
Use this:

http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/packs/Terrain_Expansion_Pack_Standard.exe

Then open the project in the Help file.

DarkBASIC\Help\Advanced Terrain
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks again chris

Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
wait what do i do with the application i just downloaded? where do i put it, im lost

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 20:39

Run it.
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
oh lol, sorry bout that, it was early in the morning, i was out of it lol

Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
when i open the example 1 project file it just opens dbpro and its blank

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2004 05:21
Open it from within DBPro.

File - Open Project.
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
oh, ok, i got it, thanks

Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
wait a minute, it wont run because of this:

those are all the plugins commands, but none of them are reading as commands. is this plugin just for darkbasic or something?

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2004 05:27
Have you put the .dll in "plugins-user" folder in the Compiler folder?

It should run even if it doesn't recognise the commands.
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Just tried it, and I'm suprised at how good these look. Anyway, it works and all, but is there any way to make the commands keywords??
It should be simple right? Just a text file to put in the keywords folder, though I can't find it anywhere..

-Formerly DarkSephiroth-
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, i put in the dll file at the very first post, and tried it again, but it still wouldnt read the new commands, just said it doesn't understand

Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2004 09:17 Edited at: 17th Dec 2004 09:18
oh, i got it in there, and now it will compile, but then it cancels out and says:
ERROR: 7

sorry about filling up this post with so many pointless posts like: sorry it was early i was out of it

xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2004 00:45
I was confused about how to install the advanced terrains too. I think the 5.7 upgrade has it all included though. I had v5.6 (i think) then installed the pack then swapped the dll with the one in this thread, but it wouldn't work for some reason. So then i just downloaded 5.7 and installed it over everything and it's all working fine now. Although some of the commands aren't highlighting still (ie build terrain)

So my advice to installing is just install the DB Upgrade 5.7 and forget the pack and dll - could be wrong though

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 21:07:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 21:07:46