Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Wartorn: Jarod's Fall

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 00:43 Edited at: 1st Oct 2007 03:57

This game has been released and is therefore available at Program Announcements now.
Click the below "Download" button to be redirected to the Program Announcements post.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 03:49 Edited at: 5th Jul 2007 04:41
01:58
Hey everyone, I think I need a very quick hand on this one. I've designed a system to ensure text from strings doesn't go offscreen. I've created a function, print( string$ ) for it, that looks mostly like the following:

DarkBASIC Classic

Ofcourse, everyone will see that the problem is this system will cut off words halfway if the word happens to intersect the 100 character limit. How could I create a way to avoid this? I've tried, but I was not able to figure something out.

I did write this one up, but for some reason DarkEdit / DarkBasic failed to compile nor execute this on this PC. I therefore honestly can't say this works until I get back to my laptop.

DarkBASIC Classic

02:21
Okay, I ran the code and it seems DarkBASIC can't check for spaces in a string. That's a letdown.

02:40
I've looked further into it and succeeded into getting it to work. The trick was using chr$(32) instead of " ".

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 12:56 Edited at: 5th Jul 2007 13:00
11:55
Finished the basic combat system, most of it now works, just adding detailed descriptions for the combat is all that's left. Actual battlefield now fights on while your battle goes along, if needed with descriptions. Quests 3 & 5 are being added between the MSN conversations.

Basic game engine is approaching testable state. Everything for now is hardcoded, which I know is a mistake if I were creating a engine for repeated use - but this is a one-timer, just for fun, for the compo. Maybe, if I feel like it, I'll rewrite it and load text from a file, after all, I've got till October.

Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 13:24
whu! sounds good

blahb ba blah
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 15:35 Edited at: 5th Jul 2007 15:36
Quote: " [ Shadow heart ] whu! sounds good"

Why, thank you. I'll be quite able to start up some BETA's in I'd say, a week, for the basic engine. From there on, I'd just go and tweak, balance and enlargen the game. By October, 19th, I hope to have a huge game simulating a battlefield.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 14:27
13:26
Quest 3 added. Quest 5 added. Quest 4 WIP. Fixed some style inconsistency (first/third person). Fixed some double suspends.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 13:08 Edited at: 7th Jul 2007 13:31
12:06
* Added Main Menu
* Added Save/Load Game.
* Added "Demo"/"Open limited Community test"-mode (15 turns)
* Added Quest 4.
* Added 1 Easter Egg
* Fixed another double suspend.

Will be releasing a stripped test version of the engine with short descriptions soon. I need some testers, who have the time to do a 10-30 minute testing session and report any abnormalities in the game.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2007 05:26
4:23
* Completed Open Limited Community test code system.
* Added option to turn on/off HUD.
* Added Health/Mana to textpointer and added textual descriptions.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 04:39
3:23
Idea's
Thinking of adding sub-area's as my code now still is extremely moddable. As it stands now, there are 5 main area's (North, East, South, West and Central) which I'm thinking of breaking up into 4 area's each which would affect battles and stuff.

Update
Rebalancing Boss in Quest 4, he's way to powerful unless you warp in the Dominican and time everything extremely well.

Bug - using 100% of your energy channels the energy but doesn't cost any. Should be an easy fix.
Bug - pressing enter at any text-pointer for too many times makes it go offscreen. Will be fixing that.
Bug - on registering, the game remains in DEMO until restarted. Ofcourse, has to do with local function variables.

Added - Options (Graphical HUD, Textual HUD, Text Pointer HUD).
Added - Registration (just to see if I could).
Added - Player APC can now be ambushed.
Added - Saving / Loading now loads options too.
Added - Keith, a new contact who gives you tips, quests and a slight hint to Eternal Equinox since I'm MISoft anyway.

Fixed - Boss of Quest 4 (Allegiance General Jeremy) fixed.

Graphics - Aesthetical update to the HUD. Now looks much slicker.

Technical - Input Function instead of normal input command to add flexibility.

Comments?
I don't seem to get much response so I guess I'll need to upload some screenshots. I'll might do so tomorrow, possibly - I'm quite busy - the main reason why I post these updates at these ridiculous times. I hope that anyone following this with questions, comments or the like will reply here.

Answering Dazzag's question in another thread: No, it will not be like the 'old Trek games'. It will be a textual description of a battlefield, as in:

Quote: ""The clouds above the Southern Mountains seem to darken. You stand next to a unidentifiable corpse but have no time to wonder how this poor man died. You estimate there are thousands Allegiance soldiers fighting about 800-900 Remnant men. The Dominican hangs over the Southern Mountains, casting a dark shadow that further depresses the look of the area."

1. Travel
2. Visit
3. Contact
4. Combat
100H100M>"

Thanks a lot, by the way, for the tip for the text pointer HUD. Good one, works perfectly!

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 09:26
Ah right. Bit like a text only version of Lords of Midnight perhaps? Heh used to love it's text in the night. Something like "10 days have past since the war of the solstice. Blood rains down in the valley of the kings...". Was good as it related to what you had been doing. Awesome game that one (online version now apparently).

Anyhows, do you still need code to fit text to the width of the screen and word wrap it?

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 11:45 Edited at: 18th Jul 2007 13:32
I'm using a fixed (set) resolution and screen width. I adapted the line wrapper to that. Thanks for the offer, though.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 14:53
Fair enough. Just noticed you mentioned it and remembered I had some code from DarkMUD for it. Should work with any font on any screen and word wrap at the end of the line so words will go to the next line if goes over the edge of the screen.

Cheers

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 00:50
It's a textadventure? I love them!!

Footsteps W.I.P

[url=nackpro.se.nu]my website[/url] It's swe!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 02:12 Edited at: 10th Jul 2007 02:13
Quote: "It's a textadventure? I love them!!"

Well, essentially, yes. I can't see what it would be otherwise if it is an entry to the text adventure competition 2007 by Matt Rock.

If you like text adventures, by the way, you should check out Eternal Equinox somewhere on these forums. It's a great example of a great example of text adventures ( or better said, interactive novels ). It costs a little and delivers a lot.

That said, I hope you will follow this project and hope you will enjoy the release.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 20:23 Edited at: 11th Jul 2007 05:08
I've never been happier that DarkBASIC Classic saves .tmp files on compiling - I had a programming window in the background when I closed DarkIDE, so when it asked me to save I just saved over the file. Ofcourse, that lead to the background window being saved over the actual file (12 lines of code over my now 1501 lines of code).

I noticed the TMP file and voila, all of my code. Pff. Close one.

Added quest 7, a quite dramatic one. Worked out quite well.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 05:12 Edited at: 11th Jul 2007 05:37
04:08
Okay, lot's of stuff today.

First of all, I added an auto-save function. You can now set the game to save your progress after each turn, instead of having to do so through the menu.

Secondly, I added quest 8.

And the most fun thing: I added an item system! Now, you can hold up to 3 items (four types of items total, ranging from Health Potions to Handgrenades) and use them in battle. You receive items by fighting or completing quests.

And finally, for those paying attention, a quick teaser demo. 15 turns of gameplay - I wasn't able to complete the game in it's current state ( 8 quests) in less than 43 turns with knowledge of what, where and whom... so I guess 15 is enough for one or two quests. Unpack it in a seperate directory, as it creates up to four folders when saving (save0 for autosave, saveX for slot 1-3) and auto-saving is ON by default.

Remember, this teaser officially does in no way represent the quality of the final game, but it is most likely to do so a little bit. Alignment, double enters ect. are a concern, but I'm focussing on the main things first: Story, storytelling and then the looks and technicalities. Hope you enjoy and please leave a quick comment.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 05:06
03:56
Not many paying attention, or better said, no replies yet. Shame, really, blow for motivation. Nevertheless, I'm being patient and continuing progressively as always.

Update:
- Adding Summoning system in which the player can meet 'friends' and request their help.
- Adding Leveling system for game bonusses.
- Adding Stat checker to give player a game score.
- Starting to add Part 3.

The story above, about the battle, is part 2 of Jarods Fall. Let me explain:

Wartorn - Final is the third installment of the Wartorn trilogy. It will exist out of 3 parts, the second being "Jarod's Fall". This part in turn consists out of three main events:

* First the race towards Gliese 586C trying to outrun an Allegiance Fleet and a boarding event on the Dominican.
* Secondly, on getting to Gliese 586C too late, the main battle as described & programmed already.
* Finally, the warping in of the Remnant Main Cruiser, the Gail, the battle between Vaug and Jarod, and the final blow to the Allegiance army and Remnant forces.

Part one will be the hardest to program as it will consist of a rather linear line of combatual action - and to keep it interesting will be hard. Part 3 will most likely be the easiest as it will be mostly an epilogue (lot's of text).

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 06:40
I just downloaded and played the demo. It's pretty good so far, but there were a few bugs I noticed like when I went into combat sometimes it would give the enemy no name, and would put a blank where their name should be. I couldn't find any quests, I visited all 3 places, but there were none I could tell and tried contacting on the 3 frequencies, but they were blank. I suggest making combat shorter, I felt like it took 10 turns just for a one-on-one battle. It also got annoying having to hit the spacebar 2-3 times sometimes when I should only have to hit it once. Anyways, good job so far, keep it up.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 13:45 Edited at: 12th Jul 2007 13:51
Yeah, the stupid keyboard thing is one of the bugs, and yes, combat cán take quite long. I'm implementing more lines for combat (Enemy health, for example), so it should become more interesting. Finally, combat is that long on purpose. It does feel little dynamic as yet, but the extended descriptions and the like are still coming up. The feel I'm going for is that Jarod, although he is gifted with many talents, still isn't superhuman and will need to actually fight. Some random battles will end in a single blow, others could take 10-15 turns. Boss encounters will definitely take a while - but some bosses will have different powers as well.

The no-name bug is quite strange, I've never seen that before. Probably just a matter of good/bad luck with a random, I'll try and fix it in a moment.

Gil, you should try travelling, visiting in the Central Battlefield won't help you. Also, if you visit other places, you'll find new frequencies and the like. Travelling between the fields is one of the most important options.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 16:39 Edited at: 12th Jul 2007 23:25
15:35 - These updates are NOT in the teaser version.

Finally some work with daylight done. I've added a summoning system and 5 summonable characters, of which one was already in the game. Each of the characters will need to be spoken to first in order to get their frequencies, and they all have an unique effect in combat. Also, I've fixed out some double-key bugs. Also, I've made combat somewhat shorter on Gil's request, most battles now take 6-12 turns.

22:19
Added a cooldown for summons, battle environment descriptions, another quest, completed leveling, stats, increase in health and mana per level up. Lot's of things added.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 19:04
17:59
* Added and updated a slick looking 3D frontend (as allowed by the rules).
* Fixed several quest bugs.
* Created quest chains (quest 1 follows on quest 4 if quest 1 isn't done before quest 4)
* Working on quest notification for new quests, or something to make clear that there is a quest. I'll probably color quest text in another color or something.
* Fixed Battle Formula to not have a battle end in 51 against 14231. What do you mean, unbalanced?
* Fixed Holoshield repairs to have other repair them at times so that you're not the only one tending to them.
* Fixed levelling bug where you could receive negative experience during APC interceptions, and a bug that made your life/mana decrease with level up.
* Balance fix: Quest 4 now has 3 hostiles instead of 5.

Fraps' coming soon. Teaserdemo does not contain above updates.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 21:28
I tried the demo, it looks quite cool, but doing 0 damage 10 turns in a row with all the different weapons gets quite frustrating.. Besides that, looks like your on a good track!
Fud
Years of Service
User Offline
Will there be an updated teaser demo?
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 00:58
Hey draknir_ (or Casper, right?), yeah, I noticed that too today. It must have been a mistake somewhere in the last bugfix before the teaser demo. I've fixed that for now - seems to be a random occurring bug.

Yes, there will be updated teaser demo's. I'll probably be releasing the next one tonight, after I fix some bugs and finish the new menu system.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 04:12 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 06:01
Updated Teaser Demo attached.

BUG FOUND: For some reason, holding down a number in the new 3D frontend to select an option, and then holding it down while the game starts, crashes the .exe - it doesn't happen when compiling. Taking a look for workarounds, for now remember to tap the numbers. Sorry.

EDIT: Uploading here failed. If someone would be so kind to upload it to the forums here in this thread, I'd be thankful. I've uploaded it externally at my website www.ramiismail.com.

You can download the teaser demo by clicking [href=www.ramiismail.com/Wartorn.zip]here[/href].

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 05:49
yeah, thats me. ill try your new demo tonight.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2007 16:03
Update

Continuing my work from a airconditioned room at 20 degrees in sunny Egypt. Started to work on part 1. Fixed the 'crash on hold number'-bug.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 04:47
3:44
I added most of the Dominican interior descriptions for part one (pre-battle preparations, tutorial and some hidden hints and items). It exists out of 6 area's: The main deck, the bridge, the comm.room, the quarters, the docking bay and the armory. Each of these will give you hints depending on the order you visit them and how you respond to information. For now, the Main Deck, Bridge and Comm Room are done.

Basically, this means Part 2, the main battle is finished. All 10 quests are working and I'm eager to start on the final showdowns in part 3. For now, I'm working as hard as I can on part 1 to ensure a good build up of tension and story.

This update is not in the teaser demo. No chance on a new teaser demo until part 1 is added completely and ready for testing. Please, if you have the time, try the earlier teaser demo and help out on searching grammar or spelling mistakes, bugs or anything.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 05:19 Edited at: 18th Jul 2007 05:28
I've just started playing with the demo. Seems nicely presented. If my menus looked that good i'd be a happy chappy.

A problem: when you press a key to start the game, and it then shows the story bit and "press a key to go to the options", it goes to the options straight after you release the first key.
This happened with the spacebar and i also tried the "Z" key which worked the same way. The shift key could be used for the first "press any key", but not for the second.

The menu accessed by pressing 9 didn't appear to have a return to game or new game option. A back button wouldn't go amiss- i accidentally skipped over some story stuff.

All in all looks like you know what you're doing though. Good luck!

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 13:21
Thanks Mr. Tank, that's the feedback I need. I've fixed that first bug, on my PC the game actually crashed everytime after the story bug. I fixed it by having the player press enter and then wait 1s.

Í've added a 'Back' option to the menu. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also, thanks for your compliments, I sure know where I'm going with Wartorn and actually, having a universe ready makes it much easier to go along. I must admit I do not know many text-adventures, but I think this idea should be rather unique. Oh, and the menu? I'm glad you think it looks good. I'm a minimalistic type so I like either extreme simplicity or functional complexity. Now, does that make sense?

The menu is a spinning cube and some plains. You should be able to figure it out yourself. For the selection I just used 'fade object' and 'faded' it to 400 percent when selected. I fade it back to 100 (or 50) when not selected.

Thanks again for you critics, they are highly appreciated. Stay hanging around for a new teaser demo by the end of this week!

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 15:53
Seems interesting so far. Look forward to further updates.

Quote: "but I think this idea should be rather unique"
Almost. Normally a text adventure will either be totally text and the user has to type their commands. Eg. examine book. Or it will be the same thing with some simple graphics in the background (or even something like Valhalla). I remember seeing a couple of similar menu driven adventures in the early days of the speccy (along with ASCII maps - think one was called Castle or somesuch). The main menu driven text adventure though at the time, and pretty much the only ones that sold at all, were the Adrian Mole games. Essentially it would go through his diary (like the books) and offer you a multichoice about what to do next (like gamebooks). What was good about it is the text started like the books (used to love them), but then changed depending on your choices. It was great because you got a whole new story arc, different from the book, because you chose differently. Nice.

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 18:15
I wasn't meaning the game system (Eternal Equinox has it too), actually I was talking about the setting, goal and dynamics. But that's a good addition to the list, I guess. It's menu-driven system is rather unique - cool!

Thanks for your comments, Dazzag, they are appreciated.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 23:39
22:01

A lot more spare time than expected leads to: Part 1 being finished early. The pre-battle fase is completed, including secrets and hidden combinations. I plan to release a new teaser demo soon, now with enclosed music in the main menu and if selected in-game.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 14:56
Quote: "now with enclosed music"
Yeah, I was considering that. Once I realised music can be good in a text adventure (Speccy 128k version of Neverending Story) then I was sold on the idea. Must look up the MP3 of that song. Was pretty good....

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 23:45 Edited at: 20th Jul 2007 01:28
Replies
Quote: "Was pretty good...."

I hope Wartorn will be good enough to stand next to, or in the shadows off such games. The music is a free sample from some website, royalty free too. It should be okay for me to use it according to the disclaimer.

22:41
Last bugfixes for part 1. Starting on part 3 tonight, hoping to finish this one within the week. But since I love the Wartorn universe that I wrote up so much, I was thinking of adding a additional part 2.5, which would be a sort of flashback near the end of part 2 that the player can run through. It would clear up some of the story about Vaug and Jauth, I say.

How about I ask around? Jarod, the main character, being a young kid loses his dad in an Allegiance raid. I could add this element in a flashback. This flashback would be interactive but lead up to the same ending nonetheless. I could have it affect, for example, some latter elements in part 3, certain dialogues could differ due to choices in part 2.5.

Also, I've been pondering increasing ballistic and laser damage and adding ammo to them. You could then reload in supply tents, giving them a more obvious presence (since you need to visit some for quests) and a use.

How does that sound?

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 17:10
Damn. My post didn't work. Stupid Cypriot internet...

Anyway, I basically think the idea of flashbacks could be brilliant if you do it right. I played a text adventure that did something similar years ago, just don't remember the name. But I would make it so the flashbacks are interactive and part of the game (perhaps even let the player take on another role, such as Jarod's father). If you can make it reveal something interesting to the real world, or even reveal an answer to a puzzle, and do it in a really cool seamless sort of way, then it would be great. Tough to get really good though.

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 01:02
Hey, the father role is cool, that way I ain't stuck to visiting spots only and I can add some combat too... Also, I could add some kickass weaponry... Mmm... and the result could affect... yeah.

Maybe I'll do that. For now I'm adding ammo too

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 17:14
16:13
Added ammo and personally, I like it. Expanded a lot of descriptions and added randomizers to use different sentences every time. This way, the story does definitely feel more dynamic. I'm still having some balance issues that I'm adressing, though.

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 23:14 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2007 23:21
The teaser is good and I like the battlefield concept in it

My only criticism is that all 5 of the battlefields follow the same layout: there's a holoshield generator, a battle command centre and a supply tent in each area. I think it would be good if you could add some variation to each location which would make each area unique (e.g. There could be a bunker in the central battlefield that is unique to that area)

edit: Of course, I'm not sure if adding new areas to each battlefield will fit in with your current storyline. And you may be adding some more locations already.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 02:42
Yup, actually, I am. I found that a rather large flaw. The layout now goes as this:

1) Northern Fields
- Standard Base (HQ, Holo, Supplies)
- Radar Installation. Losing this will disable the Gail's battle overview (the Gail is in low orbit around Gliese).

2) Eastern Forest
- STUC (Spaceflight Transport/Utility Craft) airfield. This will have importance for certain quests.

3) Southern Mountains
- Communications Main Center. (Bonus quest/objective gained in part 1, possible add that it might allow the player to EarPhone without the cost of a turn).

4) Western Hills
- Laboratory (crucial for quest 4).

5) Central Battlefield
- Main HQ.

These locations will be destroyable but will only be added after everything is done and I feel like adding them. I have added them to the feature creep paragraph of my GDD.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 03:18 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 18:47
2:17
Fixed Quest 9 + Dominican Bug.
Fixed Music not starting when turning on.
Added Flashback frame.
Added Part 3 frame.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 20:32
17:48
Flashback Summary. In quest 9, Jarod is defeated by Jauth. After this battle, he falls to a soft ground which turns out to be his own childhood bed. I've decided to play the flashback from Jarod's eyes - to project a feeling of guilt - and to use only visiting to convey the feeling of helplessness that Jarod has felt. After the flashback, Jarod will enrage and become far more powerful to be able to fight Jauth and Vaug (bit Gohanesque approach, for short).

The Flashback will hold 3 story-affecting choices. Depending on the choices, you'll recieve an additional quest, an additional battle and an alternate ending.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 12:13
Sounds good. Alternative endings are always a good idea.

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 14:29
Yeah, I've pretty much got a flow chart of choices and how they affect everything for the whole story, what triggers what quest ect. The flashback shouldn't be too hard to implement, although it was some work getting the game to understand that loss in combat shouldn't game over you this time.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 05:52 Edited at: 27th Jul 2007 06:02
04:38

When I first started programming again after many years, in this language called DBC, I had some great assistance on these forums from Latch. I still thank him for his extensive help and advice, as many of his 'lessons' have remained hanging in my head. One of those was:

Quote: "{There might be} a simple solution to what you were trying to accomplish"

In the choices, I need to be able to rule out options depending on the chapter. Now I've done it by just not printing the line and disabling the option, but it still costs a page if you do something wrong.

I've tried everything, hardcoding, everything. What I should've done was use an array. I could just use a number in an array to link to an options and it shows that text. (i.e. chapter one the array would look [2,3] which the game could've read out as option 1 is choice 2 which is Visit. It could then print the relevant command and darn! It's so simple, so obvious that I feel totally stupid for not realizing it before. Now I'm stuck with a code that does what it should do, but could've been so much simpler and work so much better.

I do admit that WT:JF is far from efficient. I call a lot of functions from functions that do what the original function should've done. It's total chaos, honestly. Ever since I entered the competition though (Yes, it was already on the planning when I first learned of this compo), I've been organizing, spreadsheeting, writing out and doing things as I should've from the start. The code is still chaos (irreversible damage was already done when I started it) but it looks pretty good.

On a good note, though, I've added the first quest for the Flashback. Two more to go, and a lot of descriptions to add. The whole flashback will revolve around 3 things:

* His Fathers Newspapers (The Remnant Tribune, in the original story those are the papers of which Jarod wonders why nobody else has them and why he's supposed not to talk about them - it's the first sign of the Allegiance surpression and censorship). Depending on several things, Jarod will or will not have knowledge of things in the final 'chapter'.
* A young man, about 20 years, by the name of Jauth. This is not in the original story (although similar plot-twists are), but I felt it would make a nice twist.
* Isarat. If Jarod has practiced on summoning Isarat, his fathers broadsword, linked to the essence of water, he is able to do so in the last battle. The sword Isarat is one of five legendary swords and was the actual reason behind the assassination of Jarods father. However, Vaug failed at retrieving it by the fierce resistance of Jarod's father. The legendary swords have one rather strange peculiarity - they can only be summoned by pure energy, and only by someone who has actually wielded the sword. Isarat vanished when Jarod's father died at the hands of Vaug, leaving Jarod as the only one who, subconciously, knows how to summon the sword. The other swords, Regim [Ree-zjim] (Fire - Allegiance), Flash [Flash] (Light - Remnant), Lu'cat [Lu-kad] (Dark - Unknown) and Souzan [Soe-sen] (Soul - Allegiance) are not described in WT:JF. In the book, Vaug is carrying Souzan and Jauth carries Regim. Damian is the last wielder of Flash and Lu'cat is later reveiled to be in the possession of someone in the game...

I'm giving away too much of the stories, lol.

Darn, I feel stupid about those arrays. Darn.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 15:36
Crashes immediately after I select New game.

Running on XP Media Center, latest directx, latest video drivers.

"Oh hey, nice website Jimmy, it's really nice and fancy." -- That C++ Nerd
Visit. Website. NOW!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 16:04 Edited at: 27th Jul 2007 16:22
@Jimmy
Like said, that is a bug. You need to tap the button really fast or the game will crash. I'm hoping to upload a new version with the bug fixed this evening - depending on if I get the Flashback chapter finished today.

My apologies.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 16:09
Ah, so it does.

"Oh hey, nice website Jimmy, it's really nice and fancy." -- That C++ Nerd
Visit. Website. NOW!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 18:31
Keep at it Rami. I must admit your attention to detail and story ideas are very good. Dunno how it's all going to pan out, but the summaries you are giving here read like a decent old adventure game or even a good sci-fi/fantasy book. Nice.

One thing though; if possible at this stage then I would consider changing Jauth's name to something else. To me it sounds too much like Jarod. Small thing though, and no major big deal.

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 18:52
Well, Dazzag, those are supposed to look alike. You'll find out more if the Flashback chapter is completed and it's hard to change his name in the game (since it's based on an actual story I'm writing - it's about 2/3rd done).

But thanks a lot for the positive response. You being positive while seeming to have quite some knowledge of the genre, that's just a main motivator .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:58:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:58:07