Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / NOX: Open Source FPS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
it also shows one aspect that i haven't seen yet in any of the screenshots... but seeing as this is a work in progres, i didn't want to distract you from what you were focusing on at the moment...

this is the first shot of something with some lighting affecting it... all of the elements in the previous shots were 'flat' from lack of directional lighting...

even though it appears that some lightmapping is being used in some of the scenery, in order to make the objects look 3d, you still have to have some real time lighting in order to bring the objects (weapon) into the foreground and to give it a 3D appearance...

otherwise, this looks pretty neat... good luck...

--Mike
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 15:28
thats a good point. i just had a look at the first screen shots i posted, and the gun does look like its just stuck on top of the screen.

i'm trying to find a piece of code that i've seen before, but i can't remember where i got it. it used a second camera to find out the color of the ground, and then applied it as a texture to an object. anyone remember it?

i was thinking of using this technique just once on all the objects (like ammo, health packs, monsters...) while loading. then have a dynamic effect on the gun. i don't want to use darkbasic lights, there way to slow and limited.

thanks for the feedback Red Ocktober
Flamboyant Fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 17:49
Quote: "does anyone have 3DWS and want to make some levels for this?"

Do you have some kind of level transition trigger?

Its not what you know, its who you know.
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 19:59 Edited at: 18th Aug 2007 20:00
He said he is only doing one level right now, so I suppose not, but that shouldn't be too hard.

I have 3dws, and I would like to make a level/some levels for the engine; however, I am short on good textures. I was thinking of making a game with the base of the engine you have here. I might try to introduce some graphical effects if I play around with it for a bit. Are you thinking of implementing enemies that can shoot at you, or just monster enemies?
Flamboyant Fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 22:13 Edited at: 18th Aug 2007 22:17
Quote: "even though it appears that some lightmapping is being used in some of the scenery, in order to make the objects look 3d, you still have to have some real time lighting in order to bring the objects (weapon) into the foreground and to give it a 3D appearance..."

Shoot a ray from the player to the light source. If it hits then you light up your gun that way. It saves from using any hardware or dynamic lights that eat up framrates.

Quote: " I was thinking of making a game with the base of the engine you have here."

What kind of FPS (future, past, etc…) like Nox at all?

Where you going to work alone I suppose?

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 22:50
Flamboyant Fish, it would be really easy to link a door to a new level, an IF statement would do it.

Advancement Games, shooting enemies could be added easily. You would just need an array to remember whats going on, lots of objects, and a simple raycast to see if they can see you. Its not at the top of my todo list, but it is there!

And theres loads of free textures on the internet. Search for quake levels, which are usually fine to use non-comercially.

Quote: "Shoot a ray from the player to the light source. If it hits then you light up your gun that way. It saves from using any hardware or dynamic lights that eat up framrates."

Ah i don't keep track of any lights in-game, its all just lightmaps. Much much quicker that way. I figured out a neat way of doing it tho, takes the average screen color and textures the object that color. Looks good.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 00:26
Quote: "Ah i don't keep track of any lights in-game, its all just lightmaps. Much much quicker that way."

As far as I understood F. Fish didn't want you to create lights, but use the position, where the lights would be positioned (the positions of the lights you used for lightmapping). Then you check if the gun can "see" this light, and light the gun up then. ^^

Flamboyant Fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 00:47
Quote: "As far as I understood F. Fish didn't want you to create lights, but use the position, where the lights would be positioned (the positions of the lights you used for lightmapping). Then you check if the gun can "see" this light, and light the gun up then. ^^"

Yes. But if Oliver can do it another way, then by all means go ahead.

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I was going to do an FPS, futuristic, with some RPG features in it.
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried to recompile as is, and I receive the following error:

Could not understand command at line 122

And yes, I think that I do have the most up to date version of DBP.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 07:54 Edited at: 20th Aug 2007 07:56
It uses Sparky's collision dll. Make sure you have it.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=74762&b=5

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh, that might be why, I'll try again.
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 14:11
i just released version 2. posted a new thread in the program annoucements (i think i deserved one )...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=112839&b=5&p=0
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 21:18 Edited at: 29th Aug 2007 21:21
Update! I've found some time to do a little bit more work on this project...

I've fixed all the bugs from the last version.
It runs quite a bit faster, since it now uses raycast instead of spherecast for bullets. And i've redone the gun code (they now have accuracy, range, damage, bullet speed, and ricochet as an option).
The vehicle handels much more realistically (and i've added some sexy headlight effects!).
I'm slowly adding more detail to the level + making it larger. And i've made new textures for the entire level! (the old textures weren't mine, and as such, weren't exactly what i wanted)
I've added several shader effects (thanks to evolved), including refractive glass and normal mapping.
Doors are now animated objects, allowing any number of crazy opening/closing acts! I'm thinking goldeneye cavern doors
Doors can now be locked and remotely opened via switches (this makes levels much more interesting - as you can force the player to go certain ways).
And finally, moving objects. These can be made into lifts, rail-trains, rotating platforms, you name it.

I've started to play with the graphics aswell...

This screenshot shows the gun dynamically reacting to the lights in the level. The refractive/reflective effect on the glass (which looks really nice with the torch shining through it). The subtle bump effect on the floor. The shader torch. And the glass is actually a really cool animated door.

The low-frame rate is because im running on a 1.4ghz laptop with an intel graphics card .

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 21:25 Edited at: 29th Aug 2007 21:26
Heres a shot of the new headlights...

It also shows a bit of a bloom (cheers evoled ) and the new textures.

And i almost forgot, everything from the movement to the animation is now frame-rate-independent. So it should run real nice on your fancy pc's!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 22:11
Is there a new download? I downloaded the one on the site, but it was exactly the same

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 11:45
Sorry there's no download at the moment. It needs a bit of a polish first. I'll have something uploaded next week.
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Oliver, I have found a great shader that I think you may be interested in for this engine.
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 19:22
haha, and what might that be?

mini update: i've added bullet holes, a mini-gun, i've finally added in Flamboyant Fish's piece of AI code (and it works lovely! cheers ), and i'm working on a dual uzi now.
Flamboyant Fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 00:49
Whoa! This is fantastic work The shaders look beautiful.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 06:22
Nice bloom. Never really got that work, but then again, I never really tried.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 11:27
Can't wait to play the new one! Looks awesome!

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 13:12 Edited at: 31st Aug 2007 16:15
Wooa, thanks for the compliments

Steve said it might get a mention in the newsletter (after i asked him , ) so i want to get a stable (bug-free) version uploaded before the newsletter comes out.

Here is the latest version: http://dbnox.mapmasterz.com/noxbetatwo.rar

I've taken a couple of features out (cos they were too buggy or slow at the moment). But its got 2 new weapons, better ai, glass effects, bullet holes, buttons, and lots more. Please try it out.

Now this is just a beta, in other words, i could really use some input back...

Could you please let me know what health you finish the game with? This will help me set the difficulty level.

Is there anything which looks like a bug/problem/just crap?

Do you think there should be more monsters/ammo packs/etc around the level?

And finally, does it run smoothly, what frame rate?

Thanks! this will really help me!

PS. i complied it at 640x480. Its the only resolution it will run on my laptop . If you want it higher, just re-complie it.
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 14:13
I must admit I was a bit surprised, because it runs at 30 fps with my geforce 5700. It's a really nice game, with a great atmosphere (and I really like the new doors). The enemies aren't really smart, but I think it's sufficient for this kind of game. I can't remember about the health, but I think it was rather high (I was hurt only a few times).

I've found a few bugs : first, the items were moving up and down after reading them (sometimes it was on the ceiling, sometimes on the floor). An other strange thing is that the death animation is looped when I kill a monster (it's hard to know if he is dead or not ). The crowbar still have a high range (which is rather strange ). Don't know if it's a bug or not, but I found the gravity really low (especialy when it's compared with the player speed). And the last one : it's possible to open a door even if it's not really visible (in the room where you find the shotgun, you can open the door wich is downstair by clicking on the floor).
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 15:22 Edited at: 31st Aug 2007 15:24
Math89, thanks for testing it!

I limited the fps to 60, but it turns out, if you use 2 cameras (one for the shaders), then it actually limits it to 30 fps. Never knew that! I'm now using sync rate 0, but i'm worried that everything isn't frame rate independent. It's hard to test, since its always less than 60 on my computer.

I've reduced the crowbars range by 3 - much better .

Turns out the gravity was dependent on the frame rate, so it felt slow because the frame rate was slow - fixed.

Yea, I put the health really high, becuase i didn't want it to be impossible to complete the level. Its difficult getting the right balance.

Yup, the death animation is messed up, i'll look into that next.

Quote: "the items were moving up and down after reading them (sometimes it was on the ceiling, sometimes on the floor)"

Hmm, not quite sure what you mean. I wasn't able to recreate this. Could you maybe explain it a bit more?

As to opening a door when you can't see it.... It uses the pick object command at the moment. Its not ideal, and i'll eventually change it to a raycast when i get the time (should run much faster too). [edit]Ok, fixed that, it was much easier than i thought[/edit]

Thanks again for testing it!
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 15:32
Well, in the first room, I read the notes a first time and everything was ok. I read them a second time (when firing and jumping, if I remember correctly) and they suddenly move to the floor. After that, all the items were offset (some on the floor, some on the ceiling). And it looks like I couldn't reproduce it neither :s.
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 15:38 Edited at: 31st Aug 2007 16:17
Ah ok, that helps. I managed to reproduce it. If you open the note everytime its at the top of its bounce, when you close it, it will move down. Similarly, at the bottom, it will move up. I would never have caught that - thanks. Although i did notice the positioning wasn't 100% spot on - been bothering me for a while now. Anyway - fixed. Cheers.

[edit]

Here is beta2 (with fixes to all of math89's bugs):
http://dbnox.mapmasterz.com/noxbetatwo.rar
H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 17:44
Hey, awesome! I don't know if this has to do with the fixed gravity or not, but I found it impossible to get in the 'ventilation duct' by jumping up the platforms. I couldn't jump high enough

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 18:04
Arrrrgggh! haha, you fix one problem, only to create a new one! And that means you didn't get to play with any of the cool new weapons! I'll upload a fixed exe in a while. Sorry.
H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 18:13
Haha lol I know, it happens . It's no problem. And the glass effect is pretty awesome, I have to say!

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 19:23
Right, beta 3! I've fixed the jumping, and several other problems no one has spotted

http://dbnox.mapmasterz.com/noxbetathree.rar

Give it a minute to upload.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 20:03
Well in beta 2 you could skip loads of level because you could take a running jump from the stairs over a balcony once you go through a doorway that was initially blocked in the original. However, the vehicle section in particular is much cooler except that you can park it on the platform and then get out and the platform goes through it. Also, this was in the original, you can press 'e' anywhere and appear in the vehicle. I didn't test this in the beta 2 yet.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 21:24
My version of DBP had a problem with the command:

sc_setupobject

any chance of a .exe?

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 22:01 Edited at: 31st Aug 2007 22:02
sc_setupobject is a command from Sparky's collision plugin. Howeversinski, an exe is included with the latest version.

This game and game engine rocks; keep it up!

Here's some functions that you may want to add to it for easier.. stuff.

For example, you could replace:
s_footstep = freesound() : load sound "footstep.wav",s_footstep
with:
s_footstep = LoadSound("footstep.wav")

You don't have to or anything, it'd just be slightly easier to edit imo.

You are not alone.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 00:23
Wow, I just zoomed in on the note.png file, for no particular reason, found some funny text. lol

H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 05:16
Ooh, woot! lol. This version rocks! Only one complaint - in the second room, with the 2 glass walls, it's possible to jump from the stairs to the glass wall, and then through the door above, making it a shortcut. Just so you know. But other than that, it's looking awesome!

-H4ck1d

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 10:32
TEH_CODERER, i'll make sure that door is remotely locked And why would you want to drive the digger on the platform - your just trying to cause trouble! haha, i'll fix it. And the 'e' thing is already fixed. Thanks.

Kohaku, thanks! I like your suggestion, it will make the code easier to read. But is there anyway to shorten:

global s_footstep : s_footstep = freesound() : load sound "footstep.wav",s_footstep

I hate having to write every variable i use as a global, its just a waste of code.

Inspire, lol! I thought that would be to small to read!

H4ck1d, cheers! expect that door to be locked in the next version
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 15:09 Edited at: 1st Sep 2007 15:14
You could always use types.

Works without the 'as integer' things too:

You might find it easier/neater.

You are not alone.
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 15:50
Excellent Kohaku! I didn't know that. I'll be sure to add it when i get the time. Thanks!

I've added a new enemy. Its a pig from hell (lol). The original model was by psionic, but i ended up re-doing the whole thing from scratch so it fits nicely in the game.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 21:43
I tried the v3 demo and it totally rocks!

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 23:32
I couldn't figure out how to get past that sliding wall after you drop down the elevator shaft...

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 23:56
It was really good! I liked the music!

Footsteps W.I.P

[url=nackpro.se.nu]my website[/url] It's swe!
hallo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 11:11
Awesome

Hallo
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Oliver, look into steep parallax mapping. It is something developed at Brown University, and I found the shader code for it. It looks pretty promising and brings out more detail that bump, normal, and parallax mapping. I'll try to dig up the code, or just search it online. I converted to Linux for my normal PC, so I am trying to figure out a way to still use DBP, and emulation of XP isn't too strong. Anyway, thats why it took me so long to respond.
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Oliver, by any chance can you release the 3DWS file with the textures and so forth? I would like to look at the level in 3DWS.
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 02:43 Edited at: 16th Sep 2007 02:45
(edit)

Your about to get pwned.
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Updates?
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 17:39
Lukas W, nakidno, hallo - cheers the music is by edgen, if you like it, check out edgen.com.

Advancement Games - thanks for looking into that shader. theres not really any updates at the moment... just got back from holiday, and now i'm off back to uni. so until i get some free time (maybe christmas...) i doubt i'll be posting anything new.

Having said that, i did clean up the code. it should be a lot easier to follow now (i got rid of all the global variables for one), and maybe even a bit faster. I've included the level and entity files too. Theres no exe, since the final game hasn't changed much. I've added a dodgy gun flare, and i did some messing around with dynamic-per-pixel-lighting (fancy eh? - its really not but it slowed my crappy computer down too much.

I'll check back once in a while (i always do). But for now, happy programming

Oh and the link

http://dbnox.mapmasterz.com/NOXdp.rar
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 03:17
Few bugs I noticed:

-Footsteps kept on looping
-You can see the bullet hole texture floating in the first room
-Monsters can attack you when you are near them on the X and Z plain but not on the same Y height.

Otherwise, very nice game and very smooth.

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
What is sc_setupcar? It won't compile and says there is an error at that line...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 04:59:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 04:59:29