Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2017 23:11 Edited at: 11th Feb 2017 23:12
Edit: Page!

Quote: "Oh and, I think I'm forever hooked on 3D printing."

I have been ever since I printed my first cube.

My first 3D printer was mostly made of MDF and 6 hardened steel rods, and was a delta. It printed ok, but the MDF was poorly cut and it could only print a small area, and not accurately. My second printer was also a delta and was built largely from T-slot aluminium extrusion and 3D-printed parts, all included in a kit from eBay, and a few parts from my first printer. That one worked for ages and was quite good (and big!), but I could never quite get it reliable (it turns out it's super hard to find RC car tie rod ends with a good range of movement... also deltas are freakin hard to calibrate). My current 3D printer I'm building from the stripped-down parts of my second printer, and it's my first cartesian printer. The frame is the aluminium extrusion from the second printer, held together with a ridiculous number of angle brackets from the local hardware store (which actually makes the frame rock-solid). The Z axis (height) will be controlled by two motors. The X carriage moves up and down (and left-right obviously), and the bed stays at the same height. The bed also moves forwards-backwards. After many trips to the hardware store, I realised I wasn't going to be able to manufacture some of the parts on my own so I used Shapeways to get the last few parts I need. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow and I can finally put it all together and print things. Or strip and solder tonnes of wires because I haven't done the wiring yet. Then print things. Wait, no, next it'll be calibration. And THEN print things.

Quote: "An actual conversation that happened with someone on the other team in CTF overwatch:"

lolol

Wow Seppuku I remember what you mean about essay-length posts! But seriously, that's awesome advice for anyone leaving home for uni.

Quote: "Mate ya should have come to Aus"

Thank goodness you said "have". It's horrifying how many people actually type "should of".

Quote: "But something like a weekend job, might remedy that issue. Being a student, it would end up being a part-time job. I don't know how Australia is for that sort of thing"

I'd say most employers would be pretty happy to support uni students, but it depends on the [insert word here BEFORE posting]. Where I work my boss is constantly encouraging me to do uni, even suggesting I might want to say I can only work 4 days a week because of study. It doesn't help him at all, but he knows how important it is to get education early on.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm buying a new car! It's a 2009 Audi A3 Cabriolet. The one I'm almost certainly buying is this one. It's a 2.0L turbo petrol engine. Traditionally I've always preferred manuals, but after driving my 2004 Holden Astra to and from work for nearly a year, I think I'm ready to accept an automatic. Plus I then get fun things, like flappy paddles behind the steering wheel, cruise control (well, you can get that on manuals as well, but it works better on autos), and a fancy dual-clutch gearbox (which gives manual-equivalent fuel efficiency). As a general rule I don't like silver cars, but I've always thought silver Audis looked great. And did I mention it's a convertible??

So yeah, because Australia is huge and everything is far away from everything else, and the car is in Melbourne and I'm in northern NSW, I'll have to fly down on a plane and then take two days to drive the 15.5hrs back again. I got the guy to send me some videos of everything in action and he showed all the various small stone chips in the paint, so I'm happy. Just need to organise a time and date to fly down. Exciting!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 12th Feb 2017 06:58
Quote: "
I'd say most employers would be pretty happy to support uni students, but it depends on the [insert word here BEFORE posting]. Where I work my boss is constantly encouraging me to do uni, even suggesting I might want to say I can only work 4 days a week because of study. It doesn't help him at all, but he knows how important it is to get education early on"

Yeah my previous employer was sad to see me go, but very supportive of studying. He suggested I could continue to work holidays, but I'd rather get a job actually in Newcastle.

The car looks awesome! Seems like a good deal. Let me know when you're going past Newcastle on the highway and I'll wave

My Games - Latest WIP
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2017 07:55
Quote: "[insert word here BEFORE posting]"

Quote: "Wait, no, next it'll be calibration. And THEN print things."
Hehe, I have been having silly issues with mine lately. In fact, I don't think I've run it in some time... It's strange. It came with some crappy masking tape preapplied to the bed as well as a (presumably) low quality sample roll of PLA. It printed amazingly! Never had a bed adherence issue a singe time. Eventually I ran out of the sample filament and bought more (not a name brand, some strange brand with good 'reviews' that may have been paid for). I also decided to take off the old crappy masking tape and replace it with new, name brand, Scotch Blue masking tape. Lo and behold, adherence issues galore! I couldn't get my prints to stick for anything, at first. I realized I was getting finger oil all over the plate, and I also adjusted some temperatures, and that all seemed to fix the issues. Mostly. But still some other issues that are likely stemming from the mystery filament (which probably isn't even pure PLA, it's a fair bit more bendy and flexible than the sample roll was, which itself I presume was pure PLA). Then I've had some other issues with some linear bearings binding on the build plate (Y axis), but I can probably fix that by using only one screw to fasten each one of those.

But yeah, it's a nifty thing! I want to get a new PSU for it sometime; the current one has a small bit of exposed mains wiring, which is unnerving to say the least! Oh and, you know, dozens of reports online of the control board catching fire.

Quote: "flappy paddles behind the steering wheel"
Quote: "fancy dual-clutch gearbox"
Oooh! That sounds nifty. The real question: do the paddles turn with the steering wheel or do they stay in place?
"I do quite enjoy quoting myself, and I do so often. It's very fun." - Myself
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline

I gave Exotreve the ability to BSOD. This one is because I tried to divide by zero.
320x224
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 01:20
Quote: "I gave Exotreve the ability to BSOD."

Coooool, lol! We need a BSOD badge for you!
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 04:02
Quote: "This one is because I tried to divide by zero."
Pft.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 11:04
Quote: "The car looks awesome! Seems like a good deal. Let me know when you're going past Newcastle on the highway and I'll wave"

lol will do!

Quote: "[insert word here BEFORE posting]"

Oh. Dang.

Quote: "I couldn't get my prints to stick for anything, at first. I realized I was getting finger oil all over the plate"

I have traditionally had great success with kapton tape applied to the bed, then using nail polish on a tissue to clean that tape just before the print. If possible, a higher bed temperature (assuming heated bed) for the first few layers will help greatly in making it stick well. With the nozzle at its lowest height you should be able to slide a piece of paper under it with a bit of drag.

Quote: "But still some other issues that are likely stemming from the mystery filament"

I had issues with cheap filament so after that I bought exclusively quality Australian-made Aurarum filament. Their stuff is great.

Quote: "The real question: do the paddles turn with the steering wheel or do they stay in place?"

They turn with the wheel.

Quote: "I gave Exotreve the ability to BSOD. This one is because I tried to divide by zero."

lol nice. Less informative to a scrub like me than a normal BSOD, but hey, you're getting there
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2017 18:51 Edited at: 14th Feb 2017 18:53
#righttoknow

imagine going to a wedding and farting on the corpse lol - Seditious, 2016
(Formerly known as Benjamin until he lost access to his account)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline

320x224
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 05:06
Going to see the new Wolverine movie called 'Logan' soon! Oooh yeah! \m/

But, for now...i'll settle with some points!
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 08:07 Edited at: 15th Feb 2017 08:12
Quote: "Going to see the new Wolverine movie called 'Logan' soon! Oooh yeah! "

It looks really good from the trailer. Doesn't come out for another 2 weeks in Aus though. I for one am keen to see the Lego Batman Movie

Anyways I've made a website!. Whatcha all think about it?

Edit: Does the favicon work for you guys? It's working in Chrome but not FF for me

My Games - Latest WIP - My Website: Immortal.Digital - FB - Twitter
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 21:09
Quote: ". I for one am keen to see the Lego Batman Movie"

I'll be going to see that soon, it looks quite good. I saw that Kate Micuci is voicing clayface, that should be interesting.

Quote: "Edit: Does the favicon work for you guys? It's working in Chrome but not FF for me"

I see it in chrome and FF.
"All follow the AUP rules then all should be happy to work together to create fantastic coding" - damo4prez
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 22:50
Lego Batman was pretty good, I'd give it 4 or 4.5 out of 5
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2017 02:27
Quote: "I'll be going to see that soon, it looks quite good."
Egh, where I work at Target, we have one of those endcap displays that makes sound (a line from that movie) every time someone walks by it. It says some funny things... Like, one of the lines is supposed to be "I have aged, phenomenally!" Instead it sounds like, "I have aids, phenomenally!" There are YouTube videos of it too.

Random fact of the day!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2017 22:33
Quote: "Egh, where I work at Target, we have one of those endcap displays that makes sound (a line from that movie) every time someone walks by it"

Can someone translate this please?
"All follow the AUP rules then all should be happy to work together to create fantastic coding" - damo4prez
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2017 23:17
At the store in which he works, there is an advertisement display which plays an audio clip from the movie when people walk past it.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 00:25
At the store in which he works, there is an advertisement display which plays an audio clip from the movie when people walk past it.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 05:20
In the displayed advertisement which plays an audio clip from the movie when people walk past it, he works at the store.

The audio clip from the movie when people walk past it plays in the displayed advertisement at the store in which he works.

He works at the store where people from the movie walk past it in which an audio clip plays in a displayed advertisement.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 09:46 Edited at: 17th Feb 2017 09:49
Quote: "Can someone translate this please?"
Doh! Forgot you didn't know English! The word 'egh' in particular imparts much meaning to the sentence. Translated to forum speak, it means 'egh'.

Nah but really, I can see how the sentence would look a little funny if someone didn't know that Target is a big retailer.

Fun fact: Australia does have Target stores as well, they even have more or less the same bull's eye logo, but the companies are not affiliated. While Target here in the US is basically Walmart in terms of product selection, the Australian Target is much more of an apparel-centric department store.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 12:10
Quote: "Fun fact: Australia does have Target stores as well, they even have more or less the same bull's eye logo, but the companies are not affiliated. While Target here in the US is basically Walmart in terms of product selection, the Australian Target is much more of an apparel-centric department store."

Huh. Well whaddayaknow. I kinda assumed you were referring to our target lol.

"I do quite enjoy quoting myself, and I do so often. It's very fun." - Easter Bunny
"I also enjoy plagiarising" - Easter Bunny too

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 19:23
Quote: "Can someone translate this please?"

Ach, wo ich am Target arbeiten, haben wir eine dieser Endkappe Anzeige, die von ihm Ton (eine Zeile aus dem Film) jedes Mal, wenn jemand geht macht
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
320x224
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2017 11:12
Do you know what today is? IT'S ICON TESTING DAY!

I've designed 2 icons for Na4 and put them in a Google Play mockup. Please check it out and let me know what you think of the designs
They're heavily inspired by This War of Mine and Plague. Not sure if they might be too similar so as to be IP breaching. Hopefully not

Feedback I'd like:
1. Initial impressions of both icons
2. Preferred icon
3. Do you think they are too similar to the inspiration icons?
4. Is there anything you think I should change about the icons
5. Do you have an stellar ideas for a different icon? Maybe one that isn't borderline intellectual property breaching

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2017 11:48
Quote: "Ach, wo ich am Target arbeiten, haben wir eine dieser Endkappe Anzeige, die von ihm Ton (eine Zeile aus dem Film) jedes Mal, wenn jemand geht macht"

I like that you realised that I never specified a language.

EB, I'm going to answer your questions a bit of of order.

Quote: "Do you think they are too similar to the inspiration icons?"

Yes. I looked at the mockup page before reading all of your post and was immediately able to see which icons they were too similar too. At a quick glance of the page I thought your icon was for This War Of Mine (since I've seen the logo plenty of times). Once I actually looked at the icons instead of just the general colour scheme I obviously realised which was which.

Quote: "Do you have an stellar ideas for a different icon? Maybe one that isn't borderline intellectual property breaching"

Look at your signature banner. I think the stitches/vines are a much better look. I wouldn't go exactly the same as your signature, because that colour scheme on an icon could look very similar to The Room, which is also on the mock page.

Quote: "Preferred icon"

The one with NA4 on it.

Quote: "Is there anything you think I should change about the icons"

Yes.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2017 10:09
Quote: "Look at your signature banner. I think the stitches/vines are a much better look. I wouldn't go exactly the same as your signature, because that colour scheme on an icon could look very similar to The Room, which is also on the mock page."

Alrighty. I'll see what I can do with it. The problem is I really need something to be the focus of the icon. The text and the biohazard symbol both fit the game quite well. I can't really think of anything else to use for the focus of the icon. So I'm not really sure how I'd go about changing it... I feel like the Na4 logo works really well, and I don't want to clutter it up too much. On the other hard, I also don't want people getting confused between my game and TWoM, or thinking my game is just a ripoff.

Sometimes I think I should just hire a graphics designer for these things lol. It would make life so much easier

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2017 15:37
Quote: "The problem is I really need something to be the focus of the icon"

I think the NA4 should still be the focus of the icon, but make the background stand out more from This War of Mine.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 00:48
Quote: "I think the NA4 should still be the focus of the icon, but make the background stand out more from This War of Mine."

Hm. I've tried a couple of designs and variations.
http://imgur.com/a/Wxbvd
What do you think? I think the coloured background in the second two shouldn't be that colour, but a different shade/colour might work well

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 08:32
Anybody here trying YouTube Red? I'm watching a rather nifty series by Vsauce, called Mind Field. Never thought I was interested in psychology before, but wow, that's some fascinating stuff!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 11:40 Edited at: 20th Feb 2017 11:41
Quote: "What do you think? I think the coloured background in the second two shouldn't be that colour, but a different shade/colour might work well"

I like the last one the most. The background colour could probably do with a bit less blue in it, I think that would help it from being the very neutral colour that it is right now.

Quote: "Anybody here trying YouTube Red"

No, it never really looked that interesting to me. Then again, 95% of what I watch is cartoons and anime.

EDIT: I just noticed that both Clonkex and TheSlayer are the forum vice president. Does vice presidency not work the way I thought it did?
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 15:50
Quote: "EDIT: I just noticed that both Clonkex and TheSlayer are the forum vice president. Does vice presidency not work the way I thought it did?"

Lol, yeah...two Vice Presidents for the price of one .
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 17:43
Quote: "I just noticed that both Clonkex and TheSlayer are the forum vice president. Does vice presidency not work the way I thought it did?"
Indeed, and I'm still officially president even though I resigned.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 19:45
It's just pure chaos around here.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2017 00:13
Yo we should start a coup, turn this into a real anarchy

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2017 03:51
^^ Probably not a real good idea.
-Keith
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2017 04:54
Quote: "Yo we should start a coup, turn this into a real anarchy"
Yo, let's!

Keith, I'm pretty sure we aren't actually serious.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2017 17:30
Point to me.
-Keith
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2017 18:58
*Points to Keith* Look o'ver there, it dat bloke, Keith, he's a reet laugh he is.

If any of you hoodlums start any sort of anarchy in here parts, you'll meet my friends, law and order. *kisses his twin-pistols* That's what I call them.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2017 22:49
Quote: "Probably not a real good idea"

Run! It's the fuzz

---------------------------------------------------------

So I've survived my first week living out of home. The worst part is sharing an internet connection with 5 other people. 300 ping Dota isn't very fun. On the other hand it's been good since, with Dota being unplayable and all, I've been doing a lot more coding
I have orientation tomorrow. Gotta take a maths placement test to see if I qualify to get into my maths course. If I don't pass then I'll be behind a semester in maths
All in all it's been good so far. Looking forward to how things go once Uni starts

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 00:10 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2017 00:13
Quote: "Point to me."
What does that phrase mean, in this context?

I shall lead this movement of anarchy. Or perhaps better spelled/pronounced, an-archy. You see, I dislike arches! The geographical shape, specifically. They are strong, they distribute forces evenly and well, but I don't like them. Arbitrary reasons!

I proclaim it now: stop the arches! Build structures only with triangles and right angles! Rawwwr!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 04:57 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2017 16:10
Quote: "Point to me"

Nono...points for Keith!

I've taken Moderator Privilege to fix it for you.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 05:08
Quote: "I shall lead this movement of anarchy"

That seems like a bit of a contradiction
I don't think DJD64 is a true anarchist. We should lynch him

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 14:40
Quote: "I don't think DJD64 is a true anarchist."

Also, as a Community Leader AND a (partial) Forum President, he's not in the right position to rebel.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 17:38
No no no! You guys! You see, I'm leading the movement against arches! I don't mind the powers of the forum. Not that kind of anarchy! Pffft!!! It's arches that I am trying to take down. Stupid shapes they are!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 21:00
I can't leave you guys alone for 10 minutes without you taping Keith to ceiling can I?
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 21:07
Quote: "taping Keith to ceiling can I"

Actually we taped him to the door arch these government bureaucrats shall never control us!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 21:19
Quote: "So I've survived my first week living out of home. The worst part is sharing an internet connection with 5 other people. 300 ping Dota isn't very fun. On the other hand it's been good since, with Dota being unplayable and all, I've been doing a lot more coding"

Oh dear. I remember the time before we got fibre optics in our village, I experienced that, I still remember what 500ms ping was like trying to play online. Makes it a different between life and death. I think I barely played games online at Uni, at least when the web security they had on it let me play a game online. Sadly, I didn't get much coding done, I still had single player or split screen multiplayer games to keep me distracted.

Quote: "I can't leave you guys alone for 10 minutes without you taping Keith to ceiling can I?"

Knowing what Keith does for a living, I am sure he gets a kick out of this imagery.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2017 04:10
Quote: "Knowing what Keith does for a living, I am sure he gets a kick out of this imagery. "

Yes.....yes I do.
-Keith
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 23rd Feb 2017 13:49
Never mind arches, we need a Like button, like, see what I mean?
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
320x224
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2017 17:35
Now see folks, this is why you don't solicit!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:02:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:02:03