Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / - DarkGDK Coding Challenges -

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 15:46 Edited at: 26th Nov 2007 01:16
Now that it is free, I thought I would borrow Ric's thread idea, and use it for DGDK, seeing as the number of users will rise. I personally have learned alot from the DBPro thread, and I hope I and others will learn from this one too. Mods, if you so wish you can lock it, but atleast give it some time to see how it goes

I have simply copied and pasted 9 or the 10 rules from the old one. The last rule was pretty unnecessary; it said someone should put the code from the current entry into Nicholas Thomson's site, but it's all about DBP. If anyone wishes to make a site listing all the entries, please do so

Here are the 9 rules:

-----------------------------------------------------

Lets begin the first challenge then, shall we.

Make an old game look new!
Test your skills and imagination, and try to fool everyone by making pong look like a next-gen game, or cutting-edge space invaders!

This challenge will last two weeks to start with, so be finished by 9th December, 6pm (gotta gimme time to wake up a bit yeah?)

Let the entries roll! I might enter this one too, but of course, just for fun since I cant win.

[edit]

Here's something to start you guys off (it's quite crappy)

Changed deadline to two weeks ahead

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
Blue Rogue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 17:59 Edited at: 25th Nov 2007 17:59
cool idea!!! but does this include the DotNet version also?? (maybe a dumb noob question from me but just checkgin )
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 18:36
Oh.. never actually thought about that, LOL. I guess since I'm the judge of the first one, and I dont have the .NET version, it can just be the regular old unmanaged C++

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
How are we supposed to make a "cutting-edge" game without using any type of media

dbPrint ( "Sig" );
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 19:13
They seem to cope with those rules OK in the DBPro challenge

Utility plugins collection and
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk for older plug-ins and example code
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 19:20 Edited at: 25th Nov 2007 19:21
I like the idea, and I'll enter this challenge. Maybe this will get me to finally learn some C++ (and the GDK). I can usually understand code that's already written, but actually writing C++ myself is a different story.

Edit: I think this will have to be for the C++ version, as it's what's free now, and the free .net version isn't available yet. Maybe later, it can also be allowed, or should there be a separate challenge thread for it? I have mixed feelings about both ways.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)
dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
I just checked out the media rules...
http://www.andromedus.com/dbp/html/media-rule.html

I like it I'm not that experienced with DGDK yet, so I'll use this opportunity as a way to learn from others. Good luck

dbPrint ( "Sig" );
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 23:41 Edited at: 25th Nov 2007 23:44
Sounds like a good idea Zoto - it get's my backing.

Quote: "How are we supposed to make a "cutting-edge" game without using any type of media "

The idea of the challenges is to improve your coding skills - you don't need media for that. Besides, you're not going to be making a cutting edge game in two weeks anyway!

<edit> One week, though? It's going to take me a week just to download VS and DGDK by the looks of it!

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 00:14
Alright then, changed to two weeks, seeing as it is new to most of the forums, and people have to install it and get used to it etc.

I posted a small pong-type game to get everyone started off

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 00:19 Edited at: 26th Nov 2007 00:20
Thanks for extending the deadline. I'm still getting everything downloaded and installed. I thought I would be ready to start learning when the GDK installer told me it needed to download the August DX9 SDK, which weighs in at a light weight 468 mb. That, and I'm really rusty with both C++ and the DBP commands.

Edit: When is the 9nd of December?

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 00:23
Spotted the deliberate mistake, well done, you win!

Blue Rogue
Years of Service
User Offline
awwww am c# developer! guess I'll have to wait then hehe good luck though! and am looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!!

but thumbs up on the idea! hope it keeps going !
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 17:28
*bump*

No entries, no? I dont know what happens if noone enters the first one

James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 00:03
You pasted the rules without reading them?

Quote: "7. If nobody enters within the time limit, the challenge setter must set a new challenge."

That would be you.

Using Dark GDK.NET
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 00:30
Forgot that one

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 03:28
Quote: "No entries, no? I dont know what happens if noone enters the first one"

I plan on entering. I'm just trying to get up to speed still with the GDK.

CodeSurge
aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 18:51
i plan on entering, as soon as my dgdk starts working .

alus.portbb.com go there.
Quote: A book. I hate books. book is stupid. I know that I need codes but I dont know the codes -zenicanin14 the 2nd stupidest user in the world
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 19:11
Cool, I'll get started then as I have some free time.

I love Nancy DrewG, but not insert brain here
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 18:38
Less than a week for the deadline. Surely it doesn't take this long to install

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 15:04
3 days left

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 03:04 Edited at: 30th Jan 2008 11:17
Hey Z,

[edit #2]
Ok this is a crude attempt of a remake of the Atari game Indy 500 that was published in 1978. If you've ever played it you'll remember it mostly for the oval track with the ice surface. Sliding around on that track was more fun than actually racing.

It's not completed, but you can drive around and the car responds to different types of terrain. I wanted to finish this, but I've had guests all weekend. Problems I still haven't fixed with the basic game mechanics include (there may be others):

* if you're sliding and accelerating you get odd boosts of speed (I tried fixing this by normalizing the vector with weird results)

* when doing "donuts" car will slide out a bit, periodically. While kinda cool, it's not by design.

* the "friction coefficients" could probably use some tweaking. Notice that the closer the friction value gets to zero, the greater the friction. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but that's how dbCurveValue() works.

Next steps after fixing these would be

* allowing 2 player interaction

* provide checkpoints, goals and scoring

-Frank

And here's the main program itself:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 19:50
Well, congrats Pharoseer, I guess you win!

Feel free now to set the next challenge, maybe get the ball rolling a little more, lol.

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 21:46
Thanks Zotoaster,

The victory seems a little hollow without competition, though. We'll just have to keep setting challenges until someone else joins in.

For the next challenge, how about making an animated splash screen. Examples would be a stick figure dragging some text onto the screen or blocks raining down to build a logo.

If it's ok, I'd like to set the deadline for 6PM (GMT) next Sunday.

-Frank
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 23:46
I started a breakout game, but too many things came up to finish it. The DBP challenges have been successful mostly due to the much larger userbase. But yeah, keep setting challenges. I really do want to enter a few of them and sharpen up my coding skills.

CodeSurge
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 23:55 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 07:09
Pharoseer

My C++ is a little weak but i was able to follow your code snippets most of the way. I was trying to compile your code but I get getting errors related to my approach not your code. So I have a request.

Would you please explain how to paste the snippets into the C++ IDE, is the levels.h compiled separately or in the same project solution?

Thanks in advance

Codger

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
Yakumo
Years of Service
User Offline
Create a new dark GDK project, 2d/3d or base doesn't matter.

Open the main.h and delete everything, replace it with code from the post.

Assuming you already have Dark GDK and the correct DirectX SDK release properly installed :

In 'Solution Explorer', right click the project and choose add -> new item -> select header file (.h),

paste the header.h code from the post in there and then build, that's all there is to it
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Yakumo
I followed your instructions, with the exception of "main.h" is main.cpp" on my project. When I try to compile I receive the following messages:

Quote: "1>Main.cpp
1>c:\documents and settings\john\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\indy\indy\main.cpp(68) : error C2065: 'level5' : undeclared identifier
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\John\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\INDY\INDY\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>INDY - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped =========="

Have you tried to compile and run this program?

Thanks in advance

Codger

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
I found the problem in the levels.h level1 was defined in the main.cpp level5 was used

Thanks for your help Yakumo

Thanks for the programming example Pharoseer

Codger

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 06:38 Edited at: 12th Dec 2007 00:00
@hyrichter -- I completely understand about things coming up. I was hoping to have a completed version of mine done before the deadline, but posted what I had just to help keep things rolling. I look forward to seeing your contributions in the future. I'm sure Zotoaster agrees.

@Codger -- Sorry I wasn't online to help you earlier, but it seems that you and yakumo figured it out. If you're not terribly familiar with C/C++ it can all seem confusing. I still have TONS of trouble with the IDE. I was half tempted to zip and post the entire project folder just to make it easier for people.

I thought I might try to help this thread along a bit. For the next seven days I'll (try to) post a new example each day for this challenge. Since I'll be the judge of all the admissions next Sunday, mine won't be judged (except by you ;P). Feel free to use anything that helps you and a simple thanks is all I ask. Maybe I'll get a trend started and this will become a common practice.

So, with that said here's my examples:

[Day One - Example 1]
- The logo appears out of the fog

[Day Two - Example 2]
- Jets fly across the screen revealing the logo

[Day Three - Example 3]
Simple text logo with changing colors

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 15:58 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 15:59
Just my two cents - I'm glad you have this thread going - I to would like to join in - but time is limited for me - and I have an ongoing project I tend to work on in "spare time".

I like seeing this thread though - and historically have learned alot from reading about and looking at entries. [edit: in dbpro area I meant - this one is still new]

Stick with it guys - need more GDK involvement! GDK is cool - and so are competitions!

tparkin
Years of Service
User Offline
This is cool. I'll give it a try.
RoarLee
Years of Service
User Offline
hell yeah, i've already begun. I like the sound of the turnout.
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 04:25 Edited at: 14th Dec 2007 20:18
Ok, I'm running a little late today since the day is practically over. Here's my example for the day though. I look forward to seeing what others can do, so don't be shy about entering!

-Frank

[Day Four - Example 4]
Retro style logo with rotating colors and a scrolling starfield

RoarLee
Years of Service
User Offline
didn't want to spend too much time trying to solve an error, but my cut and paste code of your snippet resulted in

Unhandled exception at 0x00b7d08f in samplelogo.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

when encountering

void makeLogo(int color, int index) {
float offset;

dbInk(color, 0);
dbCenterText(320, 120, "Dark GDK");
dbCenterText(320, 240, "Coding Challenge");
dbGetImage(index, 0, 0, 640, 480); {this step}

dbMakeObjectPlain(index, 160, 120);
dbTextureObject(index, index);
dbSetObjectTransparency(index, 3);
}
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 10:36
Here's my latest example. This one took a lot more than I expected and is rather complicated. I had to dig through some notes I had from one of my college algorithms classes to get the texture generator to work. It's not perfect, but it's close enough for government work.

I figured that people might not be checking these out because I'm not posting images. Here's images of all 5 of my current examples:

Example 1:

Example 2:

Example 3:

Example 4:

Example 5:

And here's the code for latest example:

[Day Five - Example 5]
3D Logo spinning around a cloud covered globe

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 16:32
Great to see this thread coming along I'll be trying out all the entries posted soon.

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 20:18 Edited at: 14th Dec 2007 21:00
@RoarLee,

Just to double-check I copied-pasted Example 4 into a new project on my machine and it worked for me. I did notice that the variable offset wasn't used in that function so I edited the post to remove it from the code.

Anyway, I'll look it over to see if I'm making any assumptions that might break someone's machine. If anyone else has any problems please let me know and I'll see if I can figure them out.

@Zotoaster,

I was wondering if you were entering this challenge or not? I always enjoy seeing what you come up with. I'm not sure if I can do an entry a day for much longer, but I'll keep trying to help you get this challenge thread moving.

-Frank
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2007 09:08 Edited at: 16th Dec 2007 12:09
Okay, it's day six and I've just completed another example for you guys. I hope you like it. I thought of adding more to it, but figured it would be best to keep it simple. This one involves driving down a highway and stopping at a road-sign with our logo on it.

[Day Six - Example 6]

Highway driving until we see our logo bearing road-sign.

Here's the code for it:

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2007 14:29
That's really awesome Pharoseer. BTW, you dont need to make a new entry everyday

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2007 21:39 Edited at: 15th Dec 2007 21:45
Thanks Zotoaster!

I know I don't HAVE to make one everyday. That was more of a personal challenge. It also wasn't my intention to have mine be considered as entries. I was hoping that one of my examples might spark someone's imagination and get other people involved. If anyone else submits an entry, I'd much rather them get the credit for the win.

I was looking at this one more as the judge and guide than as a contestant. Which reminds me, you don't have to judge every challenge. That'd be a lot of work for you.

Heck, if all someone did was take the time to add weeds or rain to the Highway (for example) I'd consider that a pretty awesome entry. I thought about doing that, but didn't want to put forth the effort.

-Frank
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2007 21:55 Edited at: 15th Dec 2007 21:56
Man you're Lazy Frank!

I showed my wife your highway entry - and explained that you did it without media and that it drives up to the sign - and basically - we both were like - Wow - How cool is THAT!!!!!

[edit] I mean your non-entry [/edit]

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 12:05
Hey Jason,

Yeah, I've been pretty lazy lately. So far I've never manage to complete a challenge. I've always submitted partial attempts. I decided to make up for it a bit this time. Even so, I hit a snag and it looks like I probably won't make my 7 "non-entries" in a week.

To everybody that doesn't already know,

I was going through the forums and discovered that the dot function in DBPro locks and unlocks the pixels every time it is called. I assumed the same would be true for DGDK. So I decided to edit my Highway example by manually locking the pixels at the beginning of my semiRandomTile() function and unlocking them at the end. It went from taking 7.5 seconds to initialize on my comp to 0.5!!!

I've edited the code (only in the Highway example) to illustrate this. If you don't believe me, comment the lines out and see for yourselves! *sigh* All this time working with the tools and I still feel like a newb...

-Frank
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 16:17
Quote: "I probably won't make my 7 "non-entries" in a week"

WHOA!

Quote: "the dot function in DBPro locks and unlocks the pixels every time it is called"
thanx for the tip!

Quote: "*sigh* All this time working with the tools and I still feel like a newb"

I understand - I JUST learned how to make a memblock - into a mesh - into an object - adjusting all the vetex, normal etc etc. I Thought WOW - that's SLICK! (It is) Then I was like - I'll make my own Terrain! Woo HOO! Trying to make an efficient routine to bounce "limb tile" to "Limb tile" - making the points raise so they are correct etc while reading a source file - heightmap or satelite info - I was on that most of day yesterday - and I'm still "Starting" that part over again! Slowly getting closer but I've yet to see something resembling more than a porcupine or a bed of nails! :->

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 22:10
Hey Jason, you're a step ahead of me on that front. My latest example for the week was relying heavy on memblock images and blending them in various ways. I never did get far enough with it to actually USE it. There's a pesky little bug hidden away that's driving me nuts.

I gotta say though, I'm a little disappointed that no one else managed to get anything by our deadline this week. Maybe my choice of challenge was too vague or wasn't interesting enough for people. If that's the case, I'll be happy to take suggestions for the next challenge.

-Frank
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 03:20
That memblock image blurring/merging/blending - that stuff is very interesting.

Here is a snapshot of what I'm getting now with that porcupine having progressed today (Just wanted to show ya - saw your billboard - loved it - hope not a hijack

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 06:10
Hey Jason,

That looks a lot better than the porcupine terrain you described earlier! Glad to see you're making progress.

Which billboard were you referring to? I'm a bit confused. I'm not even sure what you meant by a hijack?

I was thinking that maybe for the next challenge we could try something a bit more basic. We're all still getting used to the GDK so in light of that, it might be helpful if the challenges were a little less open-ended. That's just my opinion and feel free to disagree.

For the next challenge, I recommend an exercise with both lights and particles. That should help us to gain familiarity with another aspect of the GDK while letting us hone our general coding skills as well.

-Frank
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 16:51
@Frank - I thought it was you who coded a Billboard - or Highway sign - in a competition - that showed the road moving until the "Highway Sign" (Billboard I called it - erroneously) with the "Name" of the program. If it wasn't you - sorry.

Much better than the porcupine. Each "Vert" you can raise or lower - can have 0 to 3 "adjacent" verts in different poly's depending on where in the grid you are. Worse - because its Limb BAsed - I had to add logic to figure out if these adjacents - existed in the "Current Limb" or in a "Different" limb (Think tile vs. limb - it makes it eaiser to visualize for me anyway) and depending on that... the logic to pinpoint where THOSE verts are is different - additionally.

I'm learning to respect things more now after coding it myself - for example - Advanced Terrains Might have issues - (everything does) but it wasn't an easy "charmer" to write. Though I think once I get culling and few other things down - I may surpass Advanced Terrains - though - Getting performance and even appearance of advanced terrain is a major accomplishment

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 16:54
Sorry for double post - but I wanted you to see this (pop up in email whatever) - Here is the latest:

Fullsize:
http://www.jasonpetersage.com/img/TankGame41_HomemadeTerrainEngine.png

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 23:20
Jason,

That is sweet looking! I like how it's coming along.

The Highway example in this challenge thread was mine, I was just confused when you said you hoped it wasn't hijacked? It's all mine -- had the idea sorta last minute and hoped I could put it together in time.

So, is anyone interested in the challenge or should we go with something else?

-Frank
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 00:10
HiJacking is when someone read a thread and talks about unrelated stuff... Not like this so much - (though technically so) - Like Imagine you start a thread for help with making a light-saber laser effect - and then some people come in your thread and start discussing pizza - (especialy multiple ongoing posts) this is "hijacking".

Thankx for the "SWEET" compliment - but I'm very happy with it - but I learned ALOT from Visigoth and Rain Main - and other Like Benjamin and Van-B - OH mustn't forget IanM ... BatVink ... That is why I like these forums though. It took a lot of work to do what I did - but a LOT less work considering all the different things I learned from everyone.

Like this compitition is cool - because each compitition may lead you to new commands - techniques - tricks - and - yes - problems - Which are the only way you get mastery over it.

You know it was funny - making the tiled/limb matrix of meshes and all - and making support calls to manipulate it - essentially a little terrain engine - was hard to get the basics down - and I have more to do - but once I had the basics down - apply USGS data - heightmaps - "Smoothing - all that fell into place - but - for cool Terrain to really be cool - FPS need to be high - So I'm off to figure out frustrum culling in DarkGDK - and note - I have been contemplating a roam terrain engine - now that I understand vertices a bit. That would allow a "NATURAL" flow of terrain from low poly (distant) stuff to much higher poly - up close - without "disconnected" verts - (No Holes - slivers - gaps)

Happy Coding Bro!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:35:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:35:18