Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [STICKY] Dark Physics - Upgrade 270608

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 02:15
I'm getting the same error as Jammy "NxCooking.dll not found". Yet it is most definitely there with the rest that were included in the upgrade. I've recopied it into the folder several times. What next?
Gedo831
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 09:25
ah, I found undocumented command "phy make cloth from object"
and now I know why it is undocumented...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 15:50 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2008 15:53
Dark Coder, I tested your example above. Firstly, this is how I set up my dev environment:

1. Installed PhysX Game Installer 281 from the NVIDIA site.
2. Upgraded DBP to 6.9
3. Upgraded Dark Physics to 1.05 (full version)

I then ran your code. It runs at 1 FPS, but I am using an IBM Thinkpad with integrated Intel Mobile 965 graphics, so this isn't a concern for this test.
I got blue water, which cascaded (probably too strong a word!) onto the surface and spread out into a puddle. The boxes quite happily fell from the sky and bounced around - I got to about a dozen boxes with no problem.

I wonder if people with problems are using the SDK? It's not needed, but the download page is a bit midsleading, the SDK versions are everywhere, the game installers appear further down.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 16:13
I did the same as you but also got the SDK, this shouldn't change anything though as I wasn't running anything from it at the time. I tried to debug the physics scene to see what was going on but couldn't even get that going after calling 'PHY ENABLE DEBUG' ;

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 16:20
BatVink, I been having a look at the site and it seem that if you can load the 177.5 (I think)graphics driver for your graphic card then the physics in all ready in that download.

The one the auto system picked for my 7300 se did not show any of the fluids in the demos as I was hoping for. tried 3 diffrent types of graphics drivers but no change.

I have also only download the standard physics drivers. left the sdk ones well alone.

So it looks like unless your card is up near the 8800 types its not going to work.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 20:14
hay mike how do you make the .tet model for the soft bodys?

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 20:26
have a look here tell what to do.

http://www.amillionpixels.us/Documentation/PhysXViewer.htm

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 20:45 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2008 20:45
@ HowDo

thanks mate, I hope the PhysXViewer was what you where talking about?

here is a link to a website to download The PhysXViewer.

http://codesuppository.blogspot.com/2006/08/physxviewer.html

the web page had a nice pic to, are good old mate

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 15:38
http://codesuppository.blogspot.com/2006/08/physxviewer.html

I don't think this viewer is the one you need. It has no export options.

You should download and install the PhysxSDK as mentioned in TGC Lee's post about the competition. That Physxviewer has the .tet export options.

War is terrorism with a bigger budget
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 19:41
Some of us have had problems with crashes on export, but a solution has been found http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132726&b=32
Serge Adjo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 20:41 Edited at: 5th Jul 2008 12:55
Dark physics Upgrade 270608 : installed, OK it works but the fluid demo are slow in my opinion so a physX card may be good for the frame rate.

Serdjol DESIGN ART 2008 - Mon Blog, mes photos, le Design -
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 21:08
@Serge Adjo

What graphics card do you have.

Serge Adjo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 21:27 Edited at: 4th Jul 2008 23:36
@HowDo : 8600GT a graphic card for video games.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 21:40
Good luck in the compo and seeing as theres only a few that can see fluids, could be a good one to do.

Serge Adjo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 23:34 Edited at: 4th Jul 2008 23:35
good luck in the compo

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 12:32 Edited at: 8th Jul 2008 12:42
I wrote an e-mail to Mike reguarding the fluids and some other things/commands that I found "unfunctional" or "missbehaving". I thought I should let you all know what he said!

Here is my question to him reguarding the "PHY SET FORCE FIELD CONSTANT"-issue:

Here is what he told me about the "PHY SET FORCE FIELD CONSTANT":

Can currently only change this at creation time but it is possible to adjust the property at runtime. I need to add functionality in to handle this.

Here is my question to him reguarding the fluids-issue:

Here is what he told me about the "Fluids":

I get the same problem with fluids. So far only known it to work on 8800 cards. It's something we need to fix. I will check it out.

AMD64X24800+(939);2GB;GF6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.4):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=109846&b=5&p=0
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 20:12
Quote: "I get the same problem with fluids. So far only known it to work on 8800 cards. It's something we need to fix. I will check it out."

Maybe I should jump on this category then

Ulric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 09:41
Hi,

I tried to install the lastest 1.05 version of DarkPhysics on my work laptop (the machine I use the most as I spent more than 2 hours a day in train) and I was not able to make it work. Each and every time I compile and launch a program (even a simple one containing just phy start and phy update in a loop) I get an error message complaining about a problem with DarkPhysics.dll

I tried to un install, then re install the nVidia PhysX drivers (both 8.04.25 and 8.06.12), I updated to the latest version of DirectX...but nothing worked!!!!

The computer is a Dell Latitude D520 with an Intel integrated graphic controller.

I reverted back to the beta version of DarkPhysics which works pretty well on the laptop...but I would like to be able to use the latest version of this library I recently bought on my laptop.

Am I the only one to encounter the problem with a non nVidia / ATI machine? Is there something Mike can do about it?

Help me please!!!

I also ran into trouble on my desktop machine (see signature) ... but it seems nVidia drivers with CUDA support for 8800GTX are not yet out for Vista...at least I could not find them! On this machine, I'll try to revert my Physics drivers to the version 8.04.25 and see what happens. I have a multi boot on that machine so I hope to be able to test the CUDA accelerated DarkPhysics under XP on my 8800GTX.

Ulric

"I'm not young enough to know everything!"
ASUS P5W-DH - Intel Core2 Duo E6700@3.2GHz - 4Gb DDR2-800MHz nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
Vista Home Premium - DX9c & DX10

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: BORG Drone Ship - Being Assimilated near Roda Beta (28)
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 22:33
Hi Mike
I'm trying to upgrade my copy of DarkPhysics to v1.05 but I can't find a link to it anywhere...

I have 141207 beta installed at the moment and my physics projects won't run.

Cyberspace was becoming overcrowded and slummy so I decided to move. These nice chaps gave me a lift.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 09:39 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 12:14
Convex Hulls

Is it me or does creating a dynamic convex hull not work? I have a boulder object(deformed sphere) and noticed it looked a bit strange using dynamic sphere collision, I don't want the computationally expensive dynamic mesh so a convex hull is my best bet right? I replace my one line to setup my object with sphere collision with 'Phy Make Rigid Body Dynamic Convex objectID' and it doesn't do anything, my object doesn't get any collision, doesn't move etc, if I specify an output path for the collision data nothing is written .

Forcefields
While I'm on the subject of things not working(a very large subject): Forcefields must be attached to a rigid body currently for them to be of any use. I attempted to create a standalone forcefield(i.e. a vortex in 3D space), while it worked, I couldn't reposition it. Clearly PHY SET FORCE FIELD POSITION does something completely different to positioning say... the forcefield? My workaround(a very common term around here) was to create a dummy kinematic object I positioned where I wanted my vortex, dump that object on a different group and disable collisions between the default(0) group and this one.

Soft Bodies

Why are there only 7 soft body commands? This has to be a joke seriously, I can't even set the mass of a soft body, the friction or anything. If you want to reposition it then good luck because you can't without deleting it!

[edit2]

While messing around with the soft body commands, I wondered why it looked like a capsule I attached to my soft body squashed it, it seems that in the debugger you can actually see that's exactly what happens, attaching a box/capsule or whatever just adds a rigid body to the scene, it's not attached at all, the only reason it doesn't fall out of the soft body is due to collisions between it and the rigid body. How cheap is this? I was expecting these rigid bodies to be actually constrained to the centre of the soft body and to have collisions with the attached soft body disabled. Not to mention the commands themselves are rather stupid, if I wish to attach a rigid body to a soft body the position should be a local one.

I'm sure there are still a million more issues remaining I just haven't got round to trying all the (potentially working)features.

[edit]

Dynamic Meshes!

Well I just tried to make said boulder object use a dynamic mesh and even that doesn't work, it has to be an issue with my meshes right? Nope as it doesn't even work with a DBPro created sphere in an example demo:

However, strangely enough the convex hull works in this example, but if you load my boulder object(attached) it doesn't work!

Attachments

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 15:46 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 15:47
@ dark coder and others: Reguarding the "Dynamic Meshes"-problem:

I found that out too, but my way to discover was a different one! (I had a code-snipped from the forum, where someone loaded a X-file and used 'PHY MAKE RIGID BODY DYNAMIC MESH Obj-ID, "Mesh-Name"' and 'PHY LOAD RIGID BODY DYNAMIC MESH Obj-ID, "Mesh-Name"' both at the same time. Stupid as I'm, I took both commands and experimented with it:
1. I took both to "create" the mesh.
2. I commented the "phy make" out, so the "phy load" was left for loading.
3. I was wondering why it took as long to load as creating the mesh!)
4. Conclusion (I wrote Mike an example and hope he will respond to this soon!): Both commands are switched!!! ->
"phy make" is "phy load" -> "phy load" is "phy make"!

Here are my investigation results in detail:

Maybe this helps you or others! (This besides other bugs eate up a lot of time for my entry and there are still things that hinder me from making it "useful", so I'm sure I could only win a smile or even worse a laugh!)
(Do you have an idea what can hinder me to texture a 3D-object (consist of goups of objects)? Even a simple texture won't show up at all, but I get no "can't find/missing file"-errors! )

Thanks in advance

Hoozer

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 16:05 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 16:44
It's my turn to list problems.

Soft Bodies!
Quote: "Why are there only 7 soft body commands? This has to be a joke seriously, I can't even set the mass of a soft body, the friction or anything. If you want to reposition it then good luck because you can't without deleting it!"

I agree. I was looking through the SDK documents earlier and there are so many things you can do with soft bodies. Things such as:
Disabling/enabling collision
Static rigid bodies
Self collision
Affected by gravity on/off
Volume/density
Damping
Two/one way collision
Soft body tearing on/off

All that is just for soft bodies and thats taken from the SDK. Tearable soft bodies would be awesome. I think like Dark Coder said, we definitly need a command to let us set the position of the soft body without having to delete it each time.

Another problem I found is not being able to properly texture soft bodies. So far the only way to make them look decent is to use sphere mapping or cube mapping on them. Trying to apply a shader/effect to them just makes the program crash.

Dynamic Meshes!
My problem with dynamic meshes is that whenever a Dynamic mesh collides with a static mesh in hardware mode, a PhysX error pops up and tells me somethings wrong, then exits the program.

Dynamic Convexes work for me and when I specify a file for them, they do save. But it seems PHY LOAD RIGID BODY DYNAMIC CONVEX doesn't do anything at all. Neither does PHY LOAD RIGID BODY DYNAMIC MESH.

EDIT:
I have another problem with soft bodies now. Seems when you have too many soft bodies or a soft body with too many tetrahedrons in it, force fields cease to work on anything. And when they do work and you delete them, the program crashes.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 16:54 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 17:02
@DBking

I was finding with force fields that it look like you could have one set up and applied it to all the object that you wanted having that force, seem not I've ended up making a field for each object.

@Hoozer
If I read you right load is make. Yes.

Ho Ho try this it works like Hoozer says.

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 16:58 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 17:22
@ DBking: Believe me that "PHY LOAD RIGID BODY DYNAMIC MESH" ->creates<- a mesh and is in reality "PHY MAKE RIGID BODY DYNAMIC MESH"! Cause I use this in my entry AND it works, if you use them vice versa! (I use "Phy load..." to create and "Phy make" to load my rigid-body-meshes!)
You realize this when you look into the folder where you wanted to load the mesh (and there was nothing before) then there will be the mesh-file created by "phy load..."! That's why it takes so long when you use it (in my case with my car-model)!
(For more info look at my previous post at the "code"!)

@ HowDo: Good to know that it works for others too! (Who knows, it might also have been a "coincedence" that it just worked for me, cause with DB-Pro+DP, I feel like everything is possible!)

Actually I try to sort out a bug for Mike, it's particle related, why they disappear in special situations! (Somehow it seems like I get such situations ONLY and only sometimes all works fine! So it seems like DP gets better the longer I try to find the problems, but this surely messes my entry up, cause time is the critical factor in a competition as you all know! )

Hoozer

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 17:25
Hoozer added the pick object system to the bowl demo, yes you can pick up the bowl but all the object that where in it fall through.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 18:32 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 18:44
I can't get that code to run. Everytime I run it, it just crashes.

Also, whenever I try loading a soft body with more than 10 subdivisions and 10 mesh detail. I get an error. Image of error is attached.

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 19:00
I think it one where you have to save it first, then run it. Had this last time I posted this code.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 19:05 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 19:06
I did save the code and set an EXE for it, but it still crashes.

Oh well, good job my demo level is made out of square/rectangular sections because I don't need dynamic/static meshes, just boxes and whatever else there is.

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 19:59 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 20:00
@ DBking: Seems like DP is able to know which user (comp-participant) needs which feature (in some cases)!

Hoozer

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 22:39
Quote: "Seems like DP is able to know which user (comp-participant) needs which feature (in some cases)! "

Uh oh.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2008 15:35 Edited at: 12th Jul 2008 15:43
Today's rant:

Ray-Casting!

Issue 1: Why are there 3 commands that do the same thing? There's 'Phy Ray Cast, Phy Ray Cast Closest Shape and Phy Ray Cast All Shapes', they all take the same params(bar the first which has an optional flag that doesn't work), however they don't all work the same way. It's hard to explain, in my code I have a mouse based ray-cast pick, so I can place items. For this I currently use 'Phy Ray Cast Closest Shape', this works great, it ray-casts all rigid and dynamic bodies in my scene, however! I have bullets in my game that travel across the map and hopefully crash into things, I currently use 'Phy Ray Cast', this works great... against static objects, but it just passes through dynamic objects, the logical thought is to just replace the call with the working 'Phy Ray Cast Closest Shape' right? I tried this, but now I get no collisions, static or dynamic. The issue isn't my code as my passed direction vector is normalized, the start position is correct, I just apparently never get any ray-cast hit return value, does this only work once per physics loop?? And why does the last flag on 'Phy Ray Cast' not work? If I set it to 0 I get collisions against my static objects only, same for 1 and 2, if I set it to 1 I'd at least expect it to not hit my static object, so what's going on?

The obvious workaround is to use a ray-casting system that works, such as Sparky's lovely DLL, but this isn't allowed in the competition so I'll have to make do with not-fully-working(a common theme here) ray-casting with bullets.

[edit]

I just did a smaller scale test and got slightly different results, I couldn't get 'Phy Ray Cast' to work, but the other two did, maybe the use of a large static mesh and forcefields change things?

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2008 15:48
try turning on PHY SET CONTINUOUS CD value# or PHY SET RIGID BODY CCD Integer Value, Integer Value they might be able to see your fast bullets.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2008 16:35
My bullets use ray-casting only, they have no physics data so the speed at which they move isn't the issue, the ray-casting not-working is.

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 23:04 Edited at: 1st Aug 2008 23:06
Has anyone sussed the fluids yet , i get the transparent ball thingys my card is geforce 6100 and the screenie is off my laptop geforce go 7300 .

toshiba satellite 1.6 core duo + nvidia geforce go 7300
windows xp pro.

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 23:29
Snap! same here same card, hopfuly it will be better in next release.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2008 00:35
Problems with fluids:

http://bergice.blogspot.com/ << Please enter my blog and click ads
Demos,Examples,Tutorials,Portfolio
Twisted Steel Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2008 06:26
I still have the same issues with the fluids... what a surprise

Meh... The Speed doesn't make Comcast good...
wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2008 10:28
Twisted Steel Software: fluid works right here perhaps, your graphic card doesnt support physx

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.

AMD 64x 3500+, 6GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB, HD 500GB, X-fi xtreme audio
Zona Servicios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 22:15
Question; why DBPro site says "Dark Physics, A complete royalty-free physics engine.", when its a paid engine?

Roberto A. Berrospe Machin, iBob Software.
http://www.ibobsoftware.com
wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 22:54 Edited at: 27th Oct 2008 22:55
Zona Servicios: You will pay for physics wrapper....

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.

AMD 64x 3500+, 6GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB, HD 500GB, X-fi xtreme audio, Internet 10/1 Mbit
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 02:42
Zona Servicios - Royalty-free does not mean free, it means that if you make any money using the product, you won`t have to pay money to someone else from your profit. Example a song by a well known band is played on the radio. Each time the song is played the band recieves a royalty payment from the radio station
morecode
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 23:42
Hello i ran the source code vehicle demo for darkphics and got this message:
"could not understand command at line 4. This was referring to the phy start command. The executed version worked however. I am using the latest updates please help
Maxmax123
Years of Service
User Offline
Please help me,

My dark physics keeps spiting out the"nxcooking.dll was not found" error and crashes apon use even though the file is in the right place.
Illuminum
Years of Service
User Offline
Maxmax123, I had this exact same problem. The way to fix it is to download the most recent version of Direct X. That fixed it for me.
Maxmax123
Years of Service
User Offline
it works !!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:30:57
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:30:57