Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Phenom video - MP FPS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 07:56 Edited at: 10th Dec 2009 10:43
Beta Demo released, check here for full details, or get it from my website. Enjoy!

xeridox.com

UPDATE 11-29-09
---------------
Scorpion Strike Cannon demonstration video released.
Yes, that's my bathroom in the video, except my toilet, tub, and sink are actually green lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fLasz3qLuk

UPDATE 11-21-09
---------------
Time for a new video. This one showcases a little capture the flag in a map I originally made for Unreal Tournament, CTF-Starships. I had to add movers to the editor and engine to make the shuttles work (yes they reeeealy look like shuttles lol) and they're a bit buggy, you have to stand just right on them to get them to start moving.

Some new textures and models are in place also.

Here's WIP Video #2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0SApv3Ahls

EDIT:
UPDATE 5-17-09
--------------

- Capture the Flag has been added, and the bots respond well to it.
- Worked on some optimization and increased the frame rate.
- One new weapon added, a fazer, just a starting weapon.
- Improved the bots' path network.

Hopefully, I will have a demo for everyone to check out soon. Just thought I would let everyone have an update, because this is not just a small project that will die out any time soon, it gets bigger every day. Now 6,800 lines of DBPro code...can't imagine how many lines of C++ that would end up being lol

More soon...

- End of update -

Original post:
Well, I haven't posted about this in a while, but I got back to work on Phenom and here is the latest video. Two of my friends say the gameplay is awesome, which I must agree. Bots dodge, jump, and find their way around the map (most of the time) using a path network. Even my friend's laptop with a 4500m graphics chipset will run the game with 30-45 fps.

I agree it's still in a beta stage, but I feel this game is starting to go somewhere, besides to the back of my mind for another year lol

Here's the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7N3ijtToeA

Phenom - MP FPS WIP - With bot support, even online!
Official Website -> http://xeridox.com
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 08:20 Edited at: 25th Apr 2009 08:22
Holy sh...
standing ovation!!!

Reminds me of the old Wild Tangent demo (before they got bought out-who knows the engines current name?)... how'd you make the maps btw? They're nice! (wondering if the 3DWS I bought is worth fiddling with more)

Signed
------
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 09:02
Looks nice, if the guns had more detail and some more interesting parts(glowing lights, energy bars) etc and the maps had more finer detail then it would look a lot nicer. The engine looks quite solid though, very UT like. Does it have multiplayer support yet?

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 10:07
Thanks for the comments...
Yes, multiplayer does work quite well, even with bots. It's really interesting to see 20 bots in a small map destroying each other lol
Weapon detail is something I will be focusing on in the future, gameplay is my main concern at the moment.

I made the maps with my own custom editor, PhenomEd, and I made static meshes for it with Milkshape 3D. The textures I either made with GIMP or downloaded them from royalty free sites, and lightmapped with TGC's DarkLights IDE. I had some shaders thrown in before, but they were just that: Thrown in. I'll add shaders back to the game once I learn to use them more effectively.

Yeah the game is much like UT mixed with Quake 3.

Attached is an image from my latest map, DM-Gothylvania.
I'll have another demo up as soon as I can...Just got to set up a website again.

Phenom - FPS WIP - Demo 1.0 released - http://xeridox.com
Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe / 2GB DDR2 system RAM / nVidia 9800 GX2

Attachments

Login to view attachments
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow that looks very good! What I've noticed in the new map (looks good btw) is the texture stretching above the arch and by the walls near you (on the right), but otherwise it looks solid!
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 19:16
Wow! Looks great. Niace aesthetic, solid gameplay. Mechanics look satisfying.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work, that doesn't even look like an indie game! It reminds me of an old Dreamcast shooter I can't remember the name of...

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 21:23
Quote: "Yeah the game is much like UT mixed with Quake 3."

Pretty much what i was thinking while watching your vid. The game looks solid as well, just looks like it needs a little polish to finish it up. I really liked the looks of that last screenshot.
Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 00:09
Reminds me of Quake III Arena. Not exactly my type of games (brainless) but looks good nontheless.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 01:26
Really inspiring stuff there!

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 03:24
UPDATE 5-17-09
--------------

- Capture the Flag has been added, and the bots respond well to it.
- Worked on some optimization and increased the frame rate.
- One new weapon added, a fazer, just a starting weapon.
- Improved the bots' path network.

Hopefully, I will have a demo for everyone to check out soon. Just thought I would let everyone have an update, because this is not just a small project that will die out any time soon, it gets bigger every day. Now 6,800 lines of DBPro code...can't imagine how many lines of C++ that would end up being lol

More soon...

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 01:55
i love the textures.

Come see the WIP!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 02:33
Wow, it looks commercial!

<-- Spell based team dueling game!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 02:35
When non-animated smilies are simply not enough...

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 07:18 Edited at: 19th May 2009 07:26
Quote: "can't imagine how many lines of C++ that would end up being lol"

I repeat bMacZeros smilies thing from above.... with c++ you would have to create the window, direct x objects, load all your stuff, recreate the dbp commands in c++(cuz using functions is always easier then just using the straight up commands lol)

Dang i can't even imagen..... dang.....dang....dang...DANG...

hahahaha wow....

New Site! Check it out \/
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 16:21
Quote: "with c++ you would have to create the window, direct x objects, load all your stuff, recreate the dbp commands in c++(cuz using functions is always easier then just using the straight up commands lol)"

No you don't. You can make almost anything in C++ using as many or as few lines as you want. If you used a library like GDK then I'm sure you could rewrite many DBPro apps with less lines due to many of the language's advanced features. What's with all these misconceptions that C++ = more lines?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 17:03
Looks great! Very promising multiplayer.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 17:05
Quote: "What's with all these misconceptions that C++ = more lines?"

Dark basic is mostly adversited as "Code with less lines" etc crap
Dont get me wrong tho, Dark basic is great basic languange.

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 17:12
Well ya if you used DarkGDK but i'm just saying straight up programming it. it would take a lot more.

and yes sometimes it would take the same or less in c++.

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 21:26 Edited at: 19th May 2009 21:29
The one thing that really ticked me off one day, I was showing a master's piece i had to do over a few weeks that i made in DBP, in which i've also remade in C++.

Basically the teacher said DBP was cheating, good graphics with VERY little work (in front of the entire class), jeez i nearly killed him. So to prove him wrong i quickly made a 3D engine with the same stuff in it. I swear... DIRECT X does EVERYTHING for you >_< dirty liar he is. I hate people that diss DBP and i just wanna show em all i can make professional apps with it and still have to work at them to make em perfect!

The reason i've stuck with using DBP instead of c++ is the simple fact it's not case sensitive, the error messages are actually helpful, and I personally like developing in it.

Caleb1994 <-- in less than an hour i had a 3d scene rendered, and that was without knowing direct X syntax. Until i realised all you had to do was call a few pre-made functions in direct X and hook up the libraries. Piece of CAKE!

(The big window code ye all seem to fear = small, especially since you'll only EVER have to do it once if you do it right)

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2009 08:52
Tho this probably has nothing to do with cheating, it reminded me this:

I actually got into an argument with someone in a chat room years ago, he was saying that DBPro was one of those "drag and drop" apps, which it is clearly not. I told him you could make an app like that with DBPro, but he kept insisting it was a piece of crap drag-n-drop game maker. He even made fun of my game's exe being 6 MB.

I prefer a language over drag-n-drop, just because I feel that I have more control and customizability (lol, is that really a word?) if you know what I mean. But, whatever works, I say use it.

As for the guy in the chat room, if you're going to make an argument about something, at least know the product first lol, otherwise, you make yourself look like an idiot, no offense intended.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2009 19:14
this looks like one of those nostalgia games for qauke II and UT that will always be fun to play.

kind of off topic:
I've never understood why things like PC gamer that support Inde game dev never look to any of these games because this is a prime example of somethings that should definately be recognised

gamer for life
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2009 07:06
Quote: "Caleb1994 <-- in less than an hour i had a 3d scene rendered, and that was without knowing direct X syntax. Until i realised all you had to do was call a few pre-made functions in direct X and hook up the libraries. Piece of CAKE!"

Well fine then lol. i don't know how to do it yet(i read up on the functions and stuff just haven't pieced it together in my mind ha)

Personally i like dbc when i have a dbc vs dbp moment. it is slower most of the time but it's fun to find the little things that make it slower. tune your app up from this knoledge and find ways around bugs. thats the main reason i havn't abbandoned it completely after starting c++. it's just a fun hobby language(for most of us)

Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 09:19 Edited at: 22nd May 2009 09:24
if you did this in c++ it could be in less lines... plus you can easily have multiple c++ files for class definitions and game logic. With object oriented programming, coding games can actually be easier. There are also a TON of libraries for game development like XNA, DirectX (graphics wise mind you), etc. I find myself more efficient when it comes to C++ and Visual Studio just in general. although DBPro is very effective and powerful, i still find myself slower at programming in it because the DBPro's IDE kinda sucks and constantly makes me search for my functions after having 3000 or so lines. even when i add bookmarks, i wish it would save them so i wont have to redo it everytime.

Anyways, C++ should not be shunned as it is an AMAZING language and very powerful if you know how to use it right.

On a side note: this is a pretty slick game. very impressive. one thing i would work on is tweaking the Bots, it looked like one got stuck on the stairs.. also, i hope you add dynamic lighting to the guns... the animations look amazing and the game seems to run pretty smooth. keep up the good work.

If at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0.
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 00:35
Thanks for all the comments guys...

...and don't think I'm trying to shun C++ or anything, I just simply stated that it would be more lines of code.

What ever works best for you, USE IT. I like DBPro because it allows for easy programming and powerful results, which is exactly why it was created.

Yeah I fixed that bot getting stuck problem...the problem was, it saw a node through the stairs and thought it could reach it...corrected by simply increasing the ray cast width.

Bots now camp (at specified 'campspot' nodes) and you can command them to guard a position during play.

Now building q3dm17 - The Longest Yard from quake 3. Always was one of my fav's from Q3A, so I thought I'd add a version of it to the game...may not be in the final version, but a custom map available on the website later.

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2009 06:07
Finished q3dm17, mind you it's not quite the same as Q3A's, but my own little version. Works great for the game too!
Here are some pics, hope you enjoy!

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2009 14:29
that is awesome

gamer for life
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2009 15:29
Nice FPS, and everything is in place =)
Reminds me of Nexuiz, and of course Quake

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2009 23:29
This is amazing . Really shows what DBPro is capable of, nice FPS! (I mean that in both senses of the term )

<-- Spell based team dueling game!
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2009 23:45
taking another look at the screens it still looks superbe but from a dedicated fps players view I feel that a few enclosed spaces would improve the map from a gameplay point of view

gamer for life
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 07:36 Edited at: 25th May 2009 07:41
OK I've been working on making some better looking weapons for Phenom, and here is the new pulse rifle, along with some comparisons. Keep in mind, I'm still very amateur to 3d modeling, so don't expect UT3 or anything.

New Pulse Rifle:

Old Pulse Rifle:

See the difference? lol and here's one from my first ever game (released Nov of 2001, in DB Classic)
Pulse Rifle from Dark Realm V1:

and just in case you wonder what Dark Realm looked like, here's an ancient pic, showing the Pulse Chaingun in the map Complex:

Anyway, hope you enjoy the new and old pics, more updates to come.

Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2009 00:40
Awesome, man! Good to see it's still in development...

Make games, not war.

MaRo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2009 09:36 Edited at: 27th Aug 2009 09:37
Really cool, like the map lighting. I'm a big fan of Q3 arena so I would love to get my hands on it!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2009 12:31
I have to say, the old pulse rifle looked much better than the new one. The new one has evident stretches on some of the texture, and looks generally less "clean" than your old model.

great looking game though!

I want robotic legs.
Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2009 02:19
I can do some of the textures if you would like!

Can you save the crew of LV21?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=151512&b=25
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2009 08:25
Hey, I thought this thread would never get another response! LOL

Yeah I have to agree, the old PR is much cleaner, but the new one looks quite a bit more realistic in-game.

Gears, let's see what you have to offer. I'm looking to re-vamp all the weapons (yet again) into something like F.E.A.R. weapons, realistic, yet futuristic. I would like to see each weapon as if it were made out of scrap materials that different people dug up in a post war setting, where there's not much of the world left. So we're talking pipes welded together, parts found and pieced together in different fashions, things of that sort.

I recently made a rat-map of my bathroom, correctly scaled objects and all. Needs upgrading so there's toilet paper rolls to hide behind and such, but it's great fun. I may upload some pics later.

Official Thread -> http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149585&b=8
Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2009 09:34
No problem. I just need the texture outlines and I can get those weapons looking proffesional in no time. Just send them via Email and I'll contact you back when they're done.

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 23:10
OK, I have an unwrapper I think, you need top, bottom, left/right? or if you have Milkshape 3d I can just send you the ms3d files with the current textures, that way you can see just how they look

Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 05:34
Unfortunantley I do not own milkshpe, so I will need top, bottom, left, and right. You want them like FEAR right. Kind of a mix between modern and sci-fi?

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 23:15 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2009 23:19
Yep, will send the outlines ASAP, how exactly you want them? Jpg, bmp, other? Also, do you have a recommendation for a good unwrapping program? I had one on my computer somewhere, but I can't remember the name, and I have over a terabyte to search through lol.

Oh, and yes, realisitc + sci-fi, at the same time as all of my weapons are sci-fi, I just want them looking more real.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 23:25
Lithunwrap is one.

Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 01:24
Hey mates!

Xeridox has given me permission to show of some new screenshots with the new pulse rifle in them.

First, an unshaded picture.

And now for one with shaders.

Hope you all like them!

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 03:12
Yeah the pulserifle is currently my favorite in the game, since it looks so much better.

I've started on what may be the new editor for Phenom, otherwise, the code will be integrated into the current editor. The reasons for this are 1) Maps need to be optimized better. 2) There are some shading problems on solids that are partially inside other solids. 3) It will make future map creation much faster.

I'm also working on a brand new website for my games, namely Phenom.
More to come....

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 10:07
Update 11-21-09: See first post for complete update, here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0SApv3Ahls

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 11:49
that looks absolutely amazing well done

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 11:55
Nice level design, two major areas in one map.
I notice in the flyby camera the two battle ship were shooting each other and stopped once the game start. Why not have a fly through intro to the level with that included.
overall the detail is great and the game looks very fun to play.
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome!

MISoft Studios - Silver-Dawn Gorilda is lost!

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 18:33
Wait wait...in the picture up there, do i see 600 FPS? O_o
somehow mine's stuck at 60, even if i change dbSyncRate()

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 23:47
I use 'set display mode' which has a parameter for vsync.

Straight from the help file:

SET DISPLAY MODE Width, Height, Depth

SET DISPLAY MODE Width, Height, Depth, VSyncOn

SET DISPLAY MODE Width, Height, Depth, VSyncOn, Multisampling Factor, Multimonitor Mode

Looks like you're using DarkGDK, so maybe dbSetDisplayMode()?

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 13:21
void dbSetDisplayMode ( int iWidth, int iHeight, int iDepth )
GDK SetDisplayMode, it has no Vsync options, but would the vsync enable the applications to have like 600 fps?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:08:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:08:52