Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / The Fight For Independence Contest!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 20:42 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 14:53
Well, I've been here a while, and I'm pretty sure I know a thing or two about FPSC (but not more than that!). So I figured that with the 4th of July coming up, we need to have an Independence Day Contest. This means, of course, that the contest is war-themed, with a preference for actual, historical battles.

RULES
1. Any version of FPSC X9 is allowed, including any mods that are available to the entire community. This means no efx (as it is not currently available to the entire community), or any mod that is still in beta testing or development.
2. Any media is allowed, but additional points will be given for custom media.
3. Zombies are NOT allowed in this contest. It is far too easy for someone to create a level with nothing but zombies and call it "Fight out of the bunker". Zombies are not involved in war - but soldiers are.
4. Up to 3 levels are allowed. The levels can be of any grid size (up to 40 x 40), and can span any number of layers from top to bottom.
5. The entry must include, at a minimum, one of each of the following:
- A trigger zone that is used for an event when the player steps in it.
- A sound zone
- A story zone
- At least 1 door that requires a key
- At least 1 door that requires a switch
- At least one area that can only be accessed by either teleportation OR secret entrance
6. The theme is, once again, war. Any war. Past, present, or future. And the entry must focus on a war, or the player being a part of a war.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
1. Although this is supposed to be for Independence Day, the deadline is 11:59 pm on Friday, July 31, 2009.
2. All entries must consist of a screen shot from the FPSC Map Editor, an in-game screen shot, and the compiled level itself for playing/testing.
3. Entries are to be posted in this thread only. Links to other threads on this or any other forum (except links to File Front for the download) are not considered to be valid entries.
4. Entries that are not submitted on time, are posted in other threads, or do not have the required submission materials will not be considered valid. Furthermore, any entries that upon testing/playing do not meet the minimum requirements above will be considered as not valid.

PRIZES
The following items have been agreed to be donated by other members as prizes for this competition:

First Place
1. A single, custom created segment (done in Signs IV). This will include a room, wall segments with the specified texture (straight, curved, and diagonal), floor segments, and a wall entity. Donated by Leon Kennedy. Leon will contact the winner to discuss the segment and what the textures for the floor and wall should look like.
2. Overlay Pack, donated by Dark Peanut.
3. Fully animated health HUD, donated by rolfy.
4. All items in the store for sale by JRH.

Second Place
1. A single, custom segment done in Signs IV. This includes the room only. Donated by Leon Kennedy.
2. Overlay Pack, donated by Dark Peanut.
3. All items in the store for sale by JRH.

All Entries
1. Music Pack 2, donated by JRH.

If anyone else wishes to donate prizes, it's cool.

JUDGES
The following members have agreed to be judges for this contest:

1. Leon Kennedy
2. Dark Peanut
3. bass guy1669
4. beachard5
5. The Next

SCORING
Each entry can obtain a maximum possible of 100 points. Each entry will be graded by the judges independently, and then an average of the scores from all of the judges will be given to the entry as a final score. The judges may (and should) collaborate to give each entry a score.

Scoring is as follows:

Gameplay - 25 points
Difficulty - 25 points
Media - 25 points
Story - 25 points

These categories are not set in stone, and are subject to change until the first entry is received. Once the first entry is received, the categories for scoring will not be changed. So if you have suggestions for making the scoring better - get them in!

ENTRANTS
1. Apple Slicer
2. djmaster
3. unixfr3ak
4. Ekipshi
5. Armageddon Games
6. surpy
7. Zay333
8. JRH
9. rakker126
10. TiTaniUm
11. chidem
12. ETCG
14. Violent Pigeon

Ok, all. If you are intestered, post here and I'll add you to the list of entrants. If you wish to judge or have a prize to donate, post here and I'll add you.

Good luck to everyone who wants to give this a go!

Priest of the Church of Joe Wood

In memory of Nanee. 9/1/1993 - 5/16/2009. Rest in Peace, little girl.
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 20:49
hmmmm.. sounds tempting, but joining this contest would mean i would be making 3 games at one time, and i'm not tempted enough by the prizes.

the onion mind probes are coming for your soul...
they take your humanity... and give you...
onionity.
dark peanut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 20:52
Looks pretty good for your first contest! I wish you luck with it!
1. I can donate a prize: in development overlay pack by dark peanut for 1st and 2nd places and a segment pack by dark peanut for everyone with a valid entry.
2. Can I be a judge also?

Look for me on CoD4 online for PC. My username's Arbiquator (strange I know but it's the first thing that came to mind)

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 20:52
Wow. This is quite a unique contest. I might try. No guarantees.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 20:53
Quote: "i'm not tempted enough by the prizes."

Hopefully someone out there will donate more stuff. But I can only give away what I have access to, and the one prize I am giving is all I have access to. I could make it more segments, I suppose, but I'd like to see if anyone else donates prizes first.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 20:58
Quote: "Can I be a judge also?"

Added. And thanks for the prize donation. Hopefully this contest is unique enough that people want to enter. I tried to make it so, seeing as we've done just about everything else out here.

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 21:02 Edited at: 17th Jun 2009 21:06
Ive got a prize,an IMI Galil weapon fully ready,with pickups,sounds,animations and all those fancy additions.Thats for the winner.Second place gets a fully animated and ready Micro UZI weapon.I might enter myself.

EDIT: Oh and by the way,the weapons have MP6 hands and those weapons wont be released to the public,they will be used in my project.

A.K.A. chargerbandit
[href]http://chargedstudios.netne.net/index.htm[href]
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 21:05
I think this is a great contest gives us ones without alot to enter a decent contest. I probably will be in on this one

===================
InnerCityWar http://Paradoxial.net (Not open yet)
ScreenShots Soon to come
Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Huh, sounds interesting, I'll join in as well
One level only though?
Well, I'll see what i can do

All the best!

Yeah... got hurt when i tripped... on some bullets
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 21:10
Quote: ""i'm not tempted enough by the prizes.""

Seconded. But if a few of Errant's weapons manage to pop up on the prize list, then count me in!

Kravenwolf

Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
If you enter we all stand no chance!
Well, one would still get 2nd lol

All the best

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 21:36
Kravenwolf: There arent EAI weapons(yet) but there are mine weapons They aint as quality but still with some retexturing work they look hot.

A.K.A. chargerbandit
[href]http://chargedstudios.netne.net/index.htm[href]
Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 21:47 Edited at: 17th Jun 2009 21:55
Uh, one question >.> It says we can only span 3 layers (don't you think that's a little strict? ) does this mean we can't have any scenery higher than allowed? like an area that's outside the limit but you can't get to it anyways?

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 22:04
Quote: "Uh, one question >.> It says we can only span 3 layers (don't you think that's a little strict? ) does this mean we can't have any scenery higher than allowed? like an area that's outside the limit but you can't get to it anyways?"

Thought about it, and changed the rules to allow spanning the entire 20 layers available. Still only 1 level though!

Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool! Thanks, im fine with one level, but having all layers is a must. (well, for me anyways )

All the best!

Armageddon Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 22:56
I would like to join this contest-- so do i start working on it and my name will automatically be on the contestant list?

From The Staff Of Armageddon Games (C)

http://www.soundclick.com/store/byArtist.cfm?bandID=918266
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 23:07
Quote: "do i start working on it and my name will automatically be on the contestant list?"

Per the first post, you just post here that you're in. I added you to the list of entrants. Now, work away, my good man!

Armageddon Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 23:27
hahah thanks Leon Best Wishes and regards

From The Staff Of Armageddon Games (C)

http://www.soundclick.com/store/byArtist.cfm?bandID=918266
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 00:39 Edited at: 18th Jun 2009 00:55
Count me in brother, I would like to enter this competition.
bass guy1669
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 01:17
If you want I could judge, if not I might enter...

come see night shift at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106003&b=25 see you there
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 02:31
Quote: "If you want I could judge, if not I might enter..."

I've set you up as a judge, but if you would rather enter I can change that.

bass guy1669
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 05:25
no that's good

come see night shift at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106003&b=25 see you there
surpy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 07:58
sounds nice add my name to the list of ENTRANTS as reading the rules I got ideas *hint of game* its going to be set in either modern or future

don't make me use this... oooh shiny
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 08:05
Ok. Now that you can do any war, I am doing this for sure! I have a lot of special plans...

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 14:50
@surpy: you've been added to the list of entrants

@Apple Slicer: Good to hear that you're gonna give this a go. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough in the rules - ANY war is applicable, whether it be past, present, or future. As long as the overall theme is war, you're all good.

@everyone else: Is the time frame long enough? I thought about this last night, and I want to make sure that people have enough time to get this done.

Zay333
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 16:32
Sure why not,I'm in!

What you see isn't always real....
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
This sounds really cool but can you please consider altering the number of levels - say between one and three? Also, since you are suggesting games set in the Revolutionary War it seems a bit odd to demand a door opened by a switch; doors in the 1770s were not opened by a switch.

Sorry, hope this doesn't sound negative - in fact I think it is a great idea but I think those two limitations seem out of place
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 09:07 Edited at: 19th Jun 2009 09:09
I'll throw in a fully animated health hud as prize for first place if you want it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtvsMpexKzs
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 14:47
Quote: "This sounds really cool but can you please consider altering the number of levels - say between one and three?"

With the short time frame, and nobody requesting additional time yet, AND the fact that this is the first contest I've ever "sponsored" or "hosted", I wanted it to be easily do-able by all. That includes seasoned vets as well as noobs. And a single level that has the potential to span all 20 layers just seems about right for this.

Quote: "Also, since you are suggesting games set in the Revolutionary War"

Changed to say "...with a preference for actual, historical battles..." instead. After re-reading it, it sounded like I wanted stuff in the revolutionary war. What I'm really going after is war-themed levels here, not just from a specific war but from any war.

Quote: "I'll throw in a fully animated health hud as prize for first place if you want it."

The more prizes the merrier. Thanks for the donation, and I've added it to the list of prizes!

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 21:34 Edited at: 19th Jun 2009 21:40
Quote: "With the short time frame, and nobody requesting additional time yet, AND the fact that this is the first contest I've ever "sponsored" or "hosted", I wanted it to be easily do-able by all. That includes seasoned vets as well as noobs. And a single level that has the potential to span all 20 layers just seems about right for this."

The problem that I first thought of when I read the one level restriction was how brief and underdeveloped the games submitted will have to be in order to keep the frame rates above 5 To try and compress an entire game from start to finish in one level that still holds a captivating storyline seems almost impossible in FPS Creator (especially a war-themed game, which in my eyes would most likely take place in wide-open areas, with multiple targets). Which is why I don't understand, if you're allowing the game to be up to 60 segments and three layers large, or whatever the limitations were, why not allow the participants to just break up their game into different levels so the judges' computers won't choke when trying to play them?

This is one of the reasons, I myself, have decided to pass on this contest. I can't create an elaborate war-based game in one level. Even with Project Blue, my frames would probably hit -1 Just my 2 cents. I'll still be keeping my eye out for Errant's weapons!

Kravenwolf

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 21:38
Well, ok, so I had to update the number of levels allowed. Chidem and Kravenwolf combined have talked me into allowing up to 3 levels. I understand where you two are coming from, and I shouldn't limit the potential entry to just 1 level.

If the time frame also needs to be adjusted due to this, please let me know. As this is my first contest, I am sure that there will probably yet need to be tweaks to the rules to make it easy on as many people as possible.

dark peanut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 21:44 Edited at: 19th Jun 2009 21:47
Also if there seems to be problems with frame rates, my (better)computer has a pretty new-ish graphics card that handles FPSC games quite nicely. So I don't know how you're dividing up the judging but I'm just throwing that out there.

EDIT: Just saw the video Rolfy and I've got to say that is amazing work!! Is this in vanilla FPSC?

Look for me on CoD4 online for PC. My username's Arbiquator (strange I know but it's the first thing that came to mind)

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 22:22
Quote: "don't know how you're dividing up the judging "

I was hoping that all of the judges would play/test each entry, come up with a score, and then the scores from each judge would be averaged to give the final score for that entry. This seems like the fairest way to judge because, although there are rules for judging, not all judges will interpret them the same way. We should, but human nature just dictates the possibility that we won't. Averaging the scores makes sure that all entries are judged fairly and evenly without giving preference to one member over another.

dark peanut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 22:53
Sounds good to me.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 23:44
Hmmmm, I have an idea in which Independence day actually has the opposite result (i.e America loses) ... but we'll see.

Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
!!Cool! we're allowed 3 levels now!
Now i can really make my level detailed, oh this makes it so much easier!, Much thanks friend

All the best

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 01:49 Edited at: 20th Jun 2009 03:49
Quote: "Just saw the video Rolfy and I've got to say that is amazing work!! Is this in vanilla FPSC?"

Yep, no mod required
Edit: for the HUD that is.

I think this is an interesting idea for a comp, look forward to seeing what some of you guy's come up with.
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Ack! And I just figured out a one level design! Anyways, I will definately be entering and my game will be set during the Revolutionary War.
JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 11:11
Count Me In...

I may also donate a prize (or two).

JRH
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 15:35
Quote: "I think this is an interesting idea for a comp"

A lot of people have said that. After seeing the comps run here over the last year or so, I figured that everything revolved around zombies or puzzles. But with the extent of the ww2 media that's out there, why not have one that focuses on a war?

Quote: "Count Me In...

I may also donate a prize (or two)."

Counted. And if you donate a prize, that would be cool. More prizes are always welcome!

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 15:54 Edited at: 20th Jun 2009 18:18
Ok, thought up a few prizes;

1st and 2nd:
All of my store media

All Entries(Including Winners):
My Music Pack II

I've decided to hold back on the release of my MPII for this competition, so that winners have a unique prize.

Best,
JRH
rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
I;'m in in in a

Now in the W.I.P. forum: operation sunlight
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149451&b=25
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Leon, can you count me in please
dark peanut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 04:10
Looks like the prize list is growing as well as the entrants list. Looking good for your first competition Leon!

Have one on me (just don't drink too many before judging
)

Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 04:18
hmmm.... To enter... or not to enter...
If you could get something like something off of errant, or xplosys, then im in for all seriousness.

but either way, Im in.

~ Benny Boy 2321 ~ Raw Sandvich ~
dark peanut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 05:04
If I could I'd enter just for Rolfy's HUD, that looks amazing!!

Chris Redfield 2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 05:13
Hmm... tempting(VERY TEMPTING), but I think I will have to pass on this one. No offence Leon. Good Luck to all that do participate though

"When i first beheld this apparation--for i could scarcely regard it as less--my wonder and my terror were extreme." Edgar Allan Poe- 1841
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 15:32
Quote: "1st and 2nd:
All of my store media

All Entries(Including Winners):
My Music Pack II"

Wow, the prize list for this one keeps getting better and better! Thanks for the donations!

Quote: "I;'m in in in a"

Added to the list.

Quote: "Hey Leon, can you count me in please "

Added to the list.

Quote: "but either way, Im in."

Added to the list.

Wow, I cannot believe the response to this contest. The list of entrants is growing, and the list of prizes keeps getting better. This is going to be one heck of a battle for all (see what I did there using the word "battle"?)!

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
i want to take part....

divernika
Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 04:46 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 04:51
Ooh! Ooh! I call the Battle of Bunker Hill and Lexington and Concord!

I may enter, but I'll need another revolutionary battle... Hm...

I must say that I dislike Rule 5. Some battles, like the revolution, were entirely outdoors. How are we susposed to add doors and secret areas in an outdoor level?

I'd like to make a suggestion to Scoring Categories as well. Possibly Historical Signifigance or Historical Accuracy. Maybe just as a bonus score for a few, say 10, points.

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 21:26:37
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 21:26:37