Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Dark Game Studio Bonanza

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 03:21
Hello Everyone!

I purchased DGS Bonanza and received my copy today.

Looks a bit overwhelming with so much to learn and play with. But I am having a lot of fun with the demos and samples right now.

Looks like I may have found me a new hobby.
borngamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 20:36
Delivery was pretty fast for me as well (less than a week to Canada). The packaging was also much nicer than I expected. Great to see software companies getting away from the big bulky cardboard boxes.

My only comment for a future enhancement to the DarkGame studio would be to have an INSTALL EVERYTHING button.

So far I like what I see with DarkBasic though.

John
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 23:15
Why would I buy any of this when there is no Vista or Windows 7 support?

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 15:30
Quote: "Why would I buy any of this when there is no Vista or Windows 7 support?"

It all works in vista/windows 7.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because we're sadistic losers with nothing better to do. (joke)
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 20:13
Quote: "It all works in vista/windows 7."

It works now with doing specific unsupported steps that you have to search for, but it's not guaranteed to work in the future if it's not supported.

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 20:38
@QuoththeRaven:
Because its a huge bargain! It does work with Win Vista/7 (With the exception of the Extends plugin, which caused me grief on my Win7 install, but I soon worked out ways round it.

Unsupported steps? I have no idea what u'r saying here. Are you talking about the "Vista Compatbility Thread" at the TOP of the forum? That would be Support? lol, and its not like you have to search very hard.

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
Gamer Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2009 03:01
oh yea im definetly buying, first of all gotta wait for my birthday in november, hopefully you guys can hold out till then? you could make more money that way when christmas comes haha.

Bach Tran
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2009 05:03 Edited at: 30th Sep 2009 05:07
Quote: "Unsupported steps? I have no idea what u'r saying here. Are you talking about the "Vista Compatbility Thread" at the TOP of the forum? That would be Support? lol, and its not like you have to search very hard."

I'm saying that some games don't run on Windows 7. I'm saying that Dark Basic Pro focuses on Direct X 9, not 10. I'm saying that Dark Basic Pro editor that SHIPS AS THE ONLY EDITOR FOR THE PROGRAM is not only not supported in Vista, nor Windows 7, but it's not supported at all! And the replacement editor suggested, Synergy, is buggy and not any better!

Quote: "In 6 years, this forum still won't let you change your email address?"

Yeah I know, isn't that amazing? I've had an out of date, nonexistent email address for 6 years now.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2009 11:45
QuothTheRaven, how many other products made in 2002 do you know that came with guaranteed Windows 7 support? Stop trolling the forums. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2009 19:27 Edited at: 30th Sep 2009 19:28
Oh, well all the software I use on a regular basis; AVG Free, 3ds max, Photoshop, WinSCP, Sonar, all the programs that all have regular update models like Dark Basic Pro does. I can come up with a longer list if you want.

And that's exactly the problem, I DO want it. This is a great deal! But I'm NOT going to buy it because right now it wouldn't be a good investment. Operating system support is a business decision. TGC will lose customers by choosing not to support Vista or Windows 7.

But, you know, thanks for telling a paying customer I'm a troll. I just want to know there will be support for my operating system so I have incentive to buy this.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2009 19:43
Quote: "I just want to know there will be support for my operating system so I have incentive to buy this."

You've been told already, it does work!

Quote: "It does work with Win Vista/7 (With the exception of the Extends plugin)"

Quote: "It all works in vista/windows 7."

Your signature has been erased by a mod because we're sadistic losers with nothing better to do. (joke)
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2009 19:48
Well a user, you, told me that, when another user, me, said there are programs that don't run. I can't even run some of the demos that come with Dark Basic Pro, like the face demo. User input is good for finding quick workarounds, but input from TGC is good for making a buying decision.

subsonicZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Did anyone from TGC ever answer the question on whether or not the version of DGDK that comes with Bonanza is commercial or not?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2009 01:44
The 3DS Max and Photoshop from 2002 don't have Windows 7 support, you have to pay for newer versions. I can't comment on the others, don't know about them.

For guaranteed, hassle free Windows 7 support I would say that TGC need a new product, probably based on their internal DX10 DBP. But then the argument will be - despite 7 years of free updates - that they are charging for a new version. Take a look at the phantom DX threads, they are full of demands that it should be free. At some point, TGC need an income to support the demands of the users.

Regarding trolling - I'm not a TGC employee, and it was merely a warning. Check the stickies regarding non-constructive posts, we don't like to enforce it but posts of this type are contagious.

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2009 03:12
@QuothTheRaven:
Some of the examples that come with DBP were written with much older versions. Thats maybe why they don't run for you. I've been using DBP on Win7 for months now without any problems at all (Except for the Extends plug in, which causes problems).

In all fairness, they need updating, but TGC isn't Microsoft, and doesn't have thousands of employs to work on large scale overhauls like that.

@Batvink:
If DBP x10 came out 2moro I'd snap it up, almost regardless of price (Altho I do trust TGC's sensible low pricing policies! lol); even tho I only bought the Dark Game Studio a couple of months ago.

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2009 19:16
Probably a dumb question, but I was once told there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.

If I buy this, can I download DarkShaders? It mentions a few things that are downloadable after purchase most of which I already have, and it's not one of them, but since that's what I'm after at the moment, I thought I'd ask.

About how long does it take to ship to the US?

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2009 19:43
Quote: "If I buy this, can I download DarkShaders? "

If it's on the DVD, then you can't download it.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2009 19:56
About the only things I don't already have in the pack are DBC, Extends, and DarkShader. So I'll probably pass on this one and buy DarkShader separately so I can download it.

I don't mind spending a little extra to support TGC. I personally think they're doing a fantastic job for the indie game community.

Schaef
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all!! My first post, and my first TGC purchase. Due to that, maybe I can get some help from all you TGC vets here.

First of all, the payment (paypal) is expected to pass from October 22 to October 24, will I get the download links for all the plugins at that time, or will a sheet with the links for the downloads come with the Dark Game Studio?

Second, I'm in Pitt Meadows, BC, Canada. Does anybody have an estimate on how long it will take for the Dark Game Studio to get here? Any idea will be helpful. Thanks to all in advance.
Necromaster
Years of Service
User Offline
I got mine in the mail yesterday. I'm from Singapore and it took around 2 weeks for it to arrive.

I had a spin with the disc and installed DBPro and some of the other options. One question, I am a bit confused with the version of DBPro (there seems to be one version for DBPro - 1.07, and another for the editor).

Should it be patched with the upgrades that I see? And in what order? Is there a thread for DGS Bonanza patching?
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2009 03:24
I ordered this. It's a fantastic deal. I already had DBP and several plugins, but it was still worth it. I love supporting this company.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2009 08:12
Quote: "Should it be patched with the upgrades that I see? And in what order? Is there a thread for DGS Bonanza patching?"

You only need the latest patch, you DON'T need to do all of them in order.
As for a DGS Bonanza patching thread, it's not needed as this package isn't made up of special versions. It's just the name for the bundle of programs, which can be patched in the normal way using the normal latest patch. (And it's only really DBPro which needs patching)

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
iv'e ordered it. can't wait for it to get here!

---
Mike5424
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
i haven't received the "dispatched" email yet...

---
Mike5424
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
okay, i got the email yesterday (monday) and recived it today(tuesday)! im very happy with it so far!

---
Mike5424
J T Huges
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2009 06:24
I have just bought the darkgame studio and now the FPS creator deals. This is great.
Thanks TGC.

Live Long -N- Rock'n Space Cowboys
Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 14:36
Does plant life work on vista because the downloadable demo wont even install.
Thanks

Nothing to see here, move along please.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 16:27 Edited at: 13th Nov 2009 16:27
Quote: "Does plant life work on vista because the downloadable demo wont even install."

Yes it does. I'm running vista and can run it without any compatibility options.

ajfweb
Years of Service
User Offline
May I ask how long until this deal expires?
Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 18:11 Edited at: 17th Nov 2009 18:12
Now then Mobiius
Quote: "Yes it does. I'm running vista and can run it without any compatibility options."

I tried again and it would not install, get this error:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 18:12 Edited at: 17th Nov 2009 18:13
This is my system specs:

So who knows, but it wont install.

Attachments

Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 18:17 Edited at: 17th Nov 2009 18:19
And I dont have internet explorer 6.00 as the install error says, I have version 7:

Attachments

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 23:35 Edited at: 17th Nov 2009 23:36
Not that this is a competition but it clearly works...

And...

Attachments

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 23:36 Edited at: 17th Nov 2009 23:39
Forgive the double post...

Proof plant life works on Vista.

Perhaps the demo you're running is dodgy.

Attachments

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 00:55 Edited at: 18th Nov 2009 00:56
@afjweb, the first post states "while stocks last", so without a live inventory ticker, i don't think there can be a set deadline.

@softwizz, i bought the bonanza package here and can also verify plant life works fine on vista (and tree magik, dark shader, dark lights, cart shop 4, too; haven't tested the rest yet). unfortunately, many demos don't work as smoothly as actual/final products, which would make anyone hessitant to make purchases such as this but, while i wouldn't personally guarantee all products invovled would work fine for you since all our systems are unique in various aspects, i seriously doubt you (with the author's and the rest of the community's help) couldn't get things going one way or another. meanwhile, if you're determined to get the DEMO running, start with updating everything (vista, ie, display/graphics card drivers, etc) if you haven't already. personally, i'd just take the plunge (which i did without trying any of the demos here first ). good luck, either way!

side note: it's curious that it shows a display depth of 15(?) bit in the plant-life demo "requirements". i didn't know that existed. heh.

@mobiius, i'm on a vista 64 "home premium" system here (and, as mentioned, everything runs fine, so far for me, too) and maybe it's different, but i'm showing SP2 here and you're on SP1? i'm just curious if SP1 for vista 32 is most current for you?

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 01:13
I ordered my copy the day the newsletter came out. Half the things in the pack showed up on my order history for download right away, the other half arrived in the mail less than two weeks later.

Havent had any problems yet, other than Dark Physic's documentation, but Im taking care of that now working through a tutorial as I get this stuff figured out.

Highly recommend the pack.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 07:52
I can't install service pack 2 as this is my works laptop, it's not been deployed yet!

Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 12:54
I will buy the bonanza as I can always install plant life on my old XP laptop or desktop if needed, I tried the demo of tree magic and that worked on this Vista laptop but it looked pretty crap.
I am more interested in:
# Dark Physics
# Dark Lights
# Dark AI
# Extends

@Virtual Nomad I thought 15 for the colour depth was a bit strange as well. It might be the demo itself is old it says 1.0.0.2 on the error screen, anyone care to check what version is the latest.

Thanks.

Schaef
Years of Service
User Offline
I just received my Dark Game Studio today. All the programs have no problem working for me. Plant Life, Cartography Shop, Tree magik, no problems whatsoever.
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
@softwizz i have vista ultimate and it works perfect. no problems what so ever!

---
Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh, I might order this again just for the extra plug-ins. I already have the DGS, but I was considering buying other plug-ins as well, and this will save me money again..

AcP2142
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 03:05
Wait, is this product compatible with Windows 7? I am going to get that in the next couple of weeks but I don't want to buy this if I can't use it.

The only thing constant in life is CHANGE.
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Wait, is this product compatible with Windows 7? I am going to get that in the next couple of weeks but I don't want to buy this if I can't use it.
"

check the "windows 7 compatibility thread"

---
soysauce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 22:37
Great Deal, even though I'm currently using only DarkBasicPro, DarkVoices is a great software for putting voice acting into your games. Recommend this a TON!!!

Proud owner of Dark Game Studio
Genizon
Years of Service
User Offline
Can't wait to get this in the mail, best purchase i've made in a long time!

I'll be mellow when i'm dead.
Rezalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 20:00
Nice deal, would have bought it.. but i just saw that i can't get it as a download.. unless i'm mistaken :<
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 23:00
The products that normally come as downloads are available as downloads (DarkAI, DarkPHY, Extends, DarkLIGHTS I believe), but the rest is mailed.

Rezalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2010 12:53
Thanks, BMacZero.

Just bought it.
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, This offers lasting forever XP

---
Blue Steel AU
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2010 01:46 Edited at: 24th Jan 2010 13:52
I bought the DarkGame Studio Pack,

Uninstalled everything from the control panel and then re-installed everything.. now when i run DBPro it comes up and tells me that the addon's aren't registered .. however when i look at the

C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional\Compiler\TGCCertificateViewerKEEPACTIVE.exe it states that all my addons are still installed and that they are all valid and registered
(when I know for a fact that i still don't have some installed)

but when i try copmpiling a basic demo from the manual.. I get a bunch of requesters stating that I had addons

---------------------------
Plugin Error
Licensed Plugin is not recognised by compiler! Visit www.thegamecreators.com for an update.
OK

So i then try to update the compiler using dbpro_upgrade_7_4.zip this path that I installed it to "C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional"

I get this error message

Update aborted: Could not detect Dark Basic Professional

I've even tried with the dbpro_upgrade_7_5_beta2.zip from these forums and still won't upgrade.

So is the DarkGame Studio Version NOT "This upgrade will only work with the full version of DarkBASIC Professional." as the update states..

Please help .. urgent ...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:39:02
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:39:02