Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / what makes a game reallistic.......

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
That what makes a game realistic my friends is characters.....and i mean not just standing and looking horobly idiotic and runing even idioticaly....Ok let's say you have a guy in front of you explaining where to go...If he moves corectly showing with hes body where to go or how do something there you get your realism...lets see another example...you have allys and wait for the order to strike...if the allys are positioned on the wall like in cod4 and wait there you get your realism...And the best part will be when the chief shoutes go go go and shake his hand to show everybody to go and kiks the door and go in..that is what make realism...Now i have animated all the realistic looking movements etc but dont know how to get them to fpsc cause when i export trough lightwave to directx files the is no animation...is there any other way to animate and export to x and see reasolt in fpsc?

Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 23:37 Edited at: 9th Aug 2009 23:38
You can use Fragmotion to export the .X files with the animations, as for getting them to work in FPSC, you will need to set up a script that plays the animation.

If the animation starts at frame 38 let's say, then have the script use the "setframe=38" command, you will have to play around with the "incframe" command to get the animation to play how you want it to

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 23:39
You must have a custom script the animations must be saved as a biped.
The biped must be attached on the character.
And than export your character with the animations from 0 to ??? to an X file with the correct settings.

Now comes the custom script. (dont ask me to make one for you, cause i cant work with scripts)
You need for example:
when the character runs it playes animation 156 to 211. (just for example)
When he notices a player he playes 386 to 401. and so one.

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
(dont ask me to make one for you, cause i cant work with scripts).I dont like to bother other people with my problems i just ask a little help...thanks for answering me.
i asked once in my topics f history from someone to give me a script and he denied.i still remebmer him......grrrrrr....

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 00:02
What you say is true but animating people isn't that easy to do otherwise we would have seen more NPC interaction like that by now.

Errant AI was adding a whole bunch of bi-ped animations that did all that kind of stuff but not sure if its been released yet.
nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
wheel i am a profesionall vfx and animator so i know that kind of staf i have done all the animations that i said before i think the problem is that i use lightwave witch dont help me with exporting animations easily......

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 00:21
Maybe you should check on the FPSCreator website.

For 3ds max it has a little tutorial for the export settings.
So maybe also for lightwave.

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
at list i am happy that you agree with my idea.....

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
53 views in les than half hour wow people really care about realism..give you opinions about what else gives realism to a game......exept lighting.....cause we all already know that....

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 15:48
There's a number of things I would say help add realism:

- Ensuring realistic bullet decals are used for materials e.g. wood splinters etc
- Give NPC's some dialogue even if its only 1 line the first time you encounter them.
- Ensure you give each enemy a unique sound set
- Change the stock sounds for walking on materials or remove them. They can make walking around your level a painful experience.
- Try to make your game environment and skybox fit. See Rolfy's work to see how much this can improve realism of your game world.

Realism is all in the detail.
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 16:11
You have to decide,either visual realism or physical realism.For visual realism you can make all reflections perfect and identical to real life ones but without physical realism like shots are realistic,damage is realistic,recoil ec. its crap.

[href]http://sites.google.com/site/chargedstudios/home[href]
"Im British you muppet!"-Psycho
nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
- Ensuring realistic bullet decals are used for materials e.g. wood splinters etc=ok this is one important thing also
- Give NPC's some dialogue even if its only 1 line the first time you encounter them.=imagine that you come close to an npc and listen audio dialog and movement...not standing and looking around like you are not there....
- Ensure you give each enemy a unique sound set=and unique animations
- Change the stock sounds for walking on materials or remove them. They can make walking around your level a painful experience.=in my new demo of my game i redused the sound and i know that it is painfull
- Try to make your game environment and skybox fit. See Rolfy's work to see how much this can improve realism of your game world.=imagine wind blowing and trees moving like they are affected from the wind and the skybox moves at list a little bit and the sun to affecting the light.....

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "visual realism "
i prefer physical realism cause with visual realism you dont get in the point of the game i believe but it would be very cool to have both....

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 22:20
games don't HAVE to be realistic. just look at tony hawk games. everyone loves them, yet the characters can be 10 feet tall and weigh 80 pounds (not visually realistic) and they can fall unlimited distances and be just fine (not physically realistic)

it's all in the fun factor.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 00:47
Team Fortress 2 is the perfect example of a game that's unrealistic in every way, but is just off the awesomeness scale...

If I was ever given the opportunity to remove all the bad from the world, I wouldn't, because for there to be heroism, compassion and all that is good, there must also be all that is bad.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 01:25
If I wanted realism more than fun, I'd go take a walk outside.

The one and only,

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 01:52
What is this outside of which you speak?

NO. I don't look anything like my avatar!
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 02:20
clearly a foreign concept... I'd like to learn more.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 04:31
The only reason I play games is because they ARE NOT realistic. I get enough realism when I go outside.

Signature's are stupid.
Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 04:37
Yeah, if anything I don't want it to feel real when I shoot someone

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
whell what to you all mean?do you what physical or graphical realism or non of them

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 04:43 Edited at: 11th Aug 2009 04:46
No I just think that realism isn't the be all and end all of games. Yes good animation on characters will develop a good sense of immersion in the game but without graphical realism it is pretty void as I can clearly see its not realistic. I think They (graphical and physical) go hand in hand.

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
in my opinion you need both cod 4,gears of war,fallout 3..woudnt be the same without the realistic modeling animating bumping lighting etc.....so there is a balance ying yang you know....

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 04:51
Yeah i think we are saying the same thing? lol

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 06:43
Shooting mini-nukes 20 feet away and surviving is unrealistic in itself

Am I the only one here who enjoys playing old SNES games more than the "next-gen" games??? I find them to be more entertaining and less of a waste of my life.

The one and only,

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 06:45
I think that fpsc does a pretty good job at realism.

Next gen games, very much disappoint me. Their game play is terrible. So what if it looks great?

This topic would be better off as "What makes a game fun?"

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 06:57
Quote: "What makes a game fun?""

If we knew that, we'd have already made a commercial game that sold like hotcakes!

The one and only,

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 18:36 Edited at: 11th Aug 2009 18:37
Quote: "Am I the only one here who enjoys playing old SNES games more than the "next-gen" games???"

Quote: "Next gen games, very much disappoint me. Their game play is terrible. So what if it looks great?"

Oh hell yes. I break out the NES/SNES emulators all the time if I want to have fun. Modern FPS's are mostly just a hand holding experience, rather than offering any real gameplay. And all the mocap animation you see in games now kind of removes it's charm. Kind of like a reminder of how overblown the production costs of making a game have become....know what I mean?

I do enjoy newer games that have a definite "hook" though. I liked the slow-mo based hook of FEAR, and also the melee combat of Condemned.

@Nikas: A quick search for a Lightwave .X exporter didn't turn up a whole lot of options. You might have to try and intermediate format like FBX, then use Milkshape of Fragmotion to get you model in .X format.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
@bond1 yes i found out the same reasolts....demn thats why everyone prefer 3ds max it has everything for everything.....

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 19:47 Edited at: 11th Aug 2009 19:50
I think realism is fine for simulators, and realism was the big thing when graphics were making the 2d to 3d transition.
However, as pointed out by others above, realism doesn't gaurantee fun.
That is where the game play comes into the picture.

As Nomad Soul pointed out, realism is all about visuals and sound.
That is because seeing is believing and we need to believe in order to make fantasy seem like reality, just like movies making people cry.
That is another reason I prefer older games that are less realistic, because there is a clear distinction between fantasy and reality.
So, the game doesn't get the blame for real life events by some anti-violence crusader.

Quote: "Am I the only one here "

No Plystire, you are not the only one.

LOL

Now you can get rid of that "The one and only" sig.

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
i really believe that graphic dont make the game best but the topic is more about what makes a game more realistic not about the fun that's why i was taking about physical reality and graphical whe all know that noone would play super mario if the character was the chief from halo...or some character from cs...whe played it cause it was funy colorfoul and we all loved it for the way it was.....

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 08:50 Edited at: 14th Aug 2009 08:53
I would rate these 2 games being the most successful in creating realism regarding pysics, environment, combat AI and NPC interaction :
STALKER for Modern/SF
Oblivion for Fantasy

And you know what? These still are NOT realistic enough to make me forget I am playing a game. And since FPSC games are technically able to bring on about a maximum of 25% (if heavily modded!) of STALKER/OBLIVION its a waste of time to go for realism in our own games in my opinion.

But there is a lot that can easily be achieved with FPSC: interesting stories, clever puzzles, balanced gameplay and lbnl - levels that burst of atmosphere. So I'd invest my creative energy in this and leave the realism to editors better suited

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 21:57
If you want to know how to make a game realistic, look up Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. It's as much military simulator as it is FPS game. Especially with hardcore enabled.

Spewing crap since 2005!
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2009 00:23
Quote: "Now you can get rid of that "The one and only" sig."

Your plot to steal my sig won't succeed that easily!!
Remember, mind tricks only work on the weak minded. Or so Mr. George would have us believe.

Back on topic... I agree with the notion that games are played because they're unrealistic. I think that's why I enjoy fantasy based games a lot. Of course, puzzle games are great, too! Portal was a great puzzle game, with bad puzzles... Had a superbly unrealistic base to work off of.... and yet I felt that their puzzles fell flat, mainly due to the public's general inability to succeed at proper puzzles and how a majority of the public enjoys getting to end of the game by the end of the week. I think anyone aspiring to make a puzzle game could learn a few things from past puzzlers like LoLo (LoLo was the greatest puzzle series, IMHO)

Now, unrealism is what game designers should strive for in their design, but I think they're getting the "realism" taken out of context. You don't want your game to be "close to reality", you want your game to "feel as though it could be real". Everyone wants their dreams to be reality, but let's not confuse "realism" with "reality".

The one and only,

Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2009 03:39
I like both next gen games and older NES games. The reason I like next gen games is because of their A.I systems. F.E.A.R, Halo 3, and Batman: Arkham Asylum are prime examples. Then again, it's hard to beat Super Mario NES style.

Can you save the crew of LV21?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=151512&b=25
DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2009 05:13
Those damn goombas

Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2009 06:32
Lol. They are so quick and deadly

Can you save the crew of LV21?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=151512&b=25
nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Then again, it's hard to beat Super Mario NES style"
of curse yes but the engine is called fps creator...so you have to make some realism to make the player feel that he is in the game.....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 23:16:41
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 23:16:41